|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Collector gets old he rarely stirs from his club located where?
(a) in Picadilly.
(b) in St. James.
(c) in St. Georges.
(d) in St. Marks.
2. What shocked the Collector when he looked in the mirror?
(a) His beard was sprouting red hairs.
(b) His teeth were very dark brown.
(c) Much of his hair had fallen out.
(d) His face was covered with red boils.
3. Who shot sparrows and made a curry from them?
(a) Mr. Worseley.
(b) Mr. Simmons.
(c) Mr. Rayne.
(d) Mr. Ford.
4. Who is helping Dr. McNab in Chapter 30?
(c) Mrs. Dunstaple.
5. What child died of a sunstroke?
(a) Liza Porter.
(b) Mary Painter.
(c) Mary Potter.
(d) Mary Ann Potts.
6. What was one of the characteristics of the black bugs called cockchafers?
(a) They made a very loud buzzing sound.
(b) They lent a sickening odor to anything they touched.
(c) They had a painful sting.
(d) They devoured any food in sight.
7. What does the Collector do when he returns to London?
(a) He makes speeches about his time in India.
(b) He marries an English noblewoman.
(c) He volunteers at the hospital.
(d) He cancels all memberships in societes he used to belong to.
8. What sensible idea did Harry Dunstaple come up with?
(a) sacrifice a black goat to pacify the natives.
(b) firing chain shot.
(c) getting all able-bodied men to shovel at the ramparts.
(d) planting the ramparts with foliage to secure them.
9. What was the noise Miriam heard when she returned to the Collector's bedside?
(c) canon fire.
(d) gun shot.
10. What does Fleury find beautiful in the morning in Chapter 30?
(a) the sunrise over the river.
(b) Louise, his beloved.
(c) flowers growing near the ramparts.
(d) the singing of prayers.
11. Fleury barters precious belongings in exchange for what for Louise's birthday?
(a) sugar biscuits.
(b) extra flour.
(c) two lumps of sugar.
12. Who became cold to Lucy after the cockchafer episode?
(a) Miriam and Louise.
(b) the Eurasian women.
(c) Harry and Fleury.
(d) the Collector and the Magistrate.
13. What finally kills the sepoy whom Fleury tried to strangle with a violin string?
(a) Rayne drives a bayonet through him.
(b) Fleury's sabre.
(c) Harry shoots him.
(d) the heavy pistol that had formerly not fired.
14. What did Lucy want to eat?
(a) vegetables and meat.
(b) fruit and cheese.
(c) tea cakes.
15. What beliefs of the Magistrate have been eroded because of the siege?
(a) beliefs in Chartism, factory reform and social change.
(b) beliefs in progress and scientific discoveries.
(c) beliefs in the class system in England and India.
(d) beliefs in religion and God.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer does the Collector estimate the food will last?
2. The Collector lives until what year?
3. Fleury was composing a poem about whom in Chapter 20?
4. Who shoots himself while lying in bed?
5. What has happened to Hari during his confinement in the tiger house?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)