|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sia’s father tells him that he’s meeting with a screenwriter on Sunday night after the Oscars at what party in Chapter 21?
2. The journalist that has given Sia a check for $3,000 in Chapter 32 works for what publication?
3. At what time do Kyle, Sia, and the other fundraisers meet at the bakery to discuss their first day fundraising in Chapter 26?
4. Stacy perceives that Amber’s note along with her donation is what in Chapter 36?
5. Whom does Sia go to visit after the fundraiser meeting in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sia’s mother appear when Sia and her father first see her at the rehab clinic in Chapter 21? What does Sia’s mother say of her time there?
2. What do Sia and her parents learn about the earthquake once it ends in Chapter 22?
3. What do Sia and Carol talk about in Chapter 27? How does Sia feel when she leave’s Carol’s new apartment?
4. What does Travis Dooley tell Sia when they meet in Chapter 33? How does Sia respond?
5. Why does Stacy come to Sia’s house in Chapter 35? What information does she relate to Sia?
6. What does Amber say to Sia when she encounters her outside the restroom in Chapter 38?
7. Whom does Alyz take Sia to meet with after they leave the dance floor in Chapter 31? How successful is this meeting?
8. What is Sia’s response to Amber’s confrontation outside the restroom in Chapter 38?
9. How does Sia’s mother respond to the news that Sia will attend the Oscars in Chapter 25?
10. How does Sia’s father respond when she presents him with Alyz’s idea in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the lives of the homeless in Los Angeles, California. How many people are homeless in L.A. today? What resources are available to the homeless here? Where do the homeless live? How and where do they eat? Do you think the author portrays these realities well in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the condition of fugue amnesia. What are the causes, treatments and prognosis for this disorder? What treatment does the doctor suggest Sia undertake?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the Holloway Home in Beverly Hills, California. How big is the population of Beverly Hills? How are the homes here described? How does this setting contrast with the setting of the homeless encampment under the bridge?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)