|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What logo is on the t-shirt that Kyle is wearing when he approaches Sia at school in Chapter 18?
2. What is Stacy’s last name in the novel?
3. Which film produced by Sia’s father won an Academy Award for cinematography?
4. Where does Sia say she and Carol sleep most nights in the opening of Chapter 6?
5. What is the name of the bakery that Sia stops into for bread in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Sia encounter at the food trucks in Chapter 2? What does this character offer to buy Sia?
2. How does the doctor at the hospital describe Sia’s condition and its cause in Chapter 7?
3. What does Carol teach Sia in Chapter 5? What does Carol tell Sia about finding work?
4. Who greets Sia when she awakens in the hospital in Chapter 7? What does Sia relate to this character?
5. What exchange takes place between Sia and Beatriz when Sia arrives home from school in Chapter 13?
6. What thoughts consume Sia as she falls asleep in the end of Chapter 10?
7. Where does Sia go to take shelter from the storm in the evening in Chapter 2? What does Sia find to use for self-defense?
8. What encounter takes place when Sia and Carol are cleaning up in the bathroom in Chapter 5?
9. Where does Sia ask John to take her after school in Chapter 20? How does he respond?
10. What is the result of Sia’s confrontation with her mother in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the Holloway Home in Beverly Hills, California. How big is the population of Beverly Hills? How are the homes here described? How does this setting contrast with the setting of the homeless encampment under the bridge?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the setting of Beverly Hills High in the novel. How many students attend this school? How are the different cliques described? Do you think this school and the dynamics within it are similar to your own school setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of friendship in the novel. In what ways is Carol the only “true friend” that Sia has at this point in the novel? How does Carol differ from Sia’s school friends and her family? What does friendship mean to Sia?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)