|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Sia to the homeless encampment under the bridge in Chapter 15?
2. What self-defense weapon does Sia carry in her purse in Chapter 15?
3. What does Carol say happened to her husband in Chapter 6?
4. The stranger who buys Sia a meal from the food truck in Chapter 2 offers her an employment opportunity in what field?
5. What food item does the stranger suggest that Sia get from the food truck in the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes up to Sia to offer her “blankets” in Chapter 3? How is this character described?
2. How would you describe the character of Sia as introduced in Chapter 1?
3. Whom does Sia encounter at the bakery in Chapter 14? What does Sia order there?
4. What exchange takes place between Sia and Beatriz when Sia arrives home from school in Chapter 13?
5. What danger does Sia encounter near the food trucks in Chapter 2? How does Sia respond to the situation?
6. Why is Sia’s father upset in the beginning of Chapter 17? How does Sia respond to the situation?
7. How is Sia’s mother described when Sia first observes her in Chapter 13?
8. How does Sia’s mother respond when Sia asks her why they are so wealthy in Chapter 9?
9. What exchange takes place between Sia and Duke in Chapter 19? How do the onlookers respond?
10. What danger does Sia encounter in Chapter 15? Who appears to intervene on Sia’s account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of Elysian Park in Los Angeles, California. What is the population of Los Angeles? How large is the city? Where in L.A. is Elysian Park located? Would this area be considered a safe place for someone like Sia to be lost in?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of alienation in Sia. In what ways does Sia struggle with isolation and alienation in the story? How does this theme apply both to Sia’s relationships at home and at school?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Carol in the novel. How old is Carol? How does the narrator describe Carol’s appearance? Why do you think Carol attempts to help Sia?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)