|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the lottery tickets symbolize in the poem entitled "strawberry-blonde fairy tales" (129)?
2. For what kind of book award was Anderson nominated for her creation of the novel Speak?
3. In the poem entitled "ignore stupid advice," what is NOT a piece of the long list of "stupid advice" (231) offered?
(a) Don't get T-boned by a drunk.
(b) Don't get raped.
(c) Don't get gaslit.
(d) Don't drop out of school.
4. In what state was the school where someone pulled the fire alarm at the moment Anderson began her afternoon assembly?
(a) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
5. With what emotion did Anderson's new friend greet Anderson's mistake with the lemon and cream during tea?
6. Which of the following terms most closely resembles the way in which Anderson uses the phrase "bonfire/of his vanities" in the poem entitled "not responsible for contents" (238)?
7. How many hours' drive did it take for Anderson's family to return home after bringing her to Georgetown?
8. What perk of the telemarketing position made Anderson adore her job, though it paid very litte?
(a) She could call her mother for an hour a day for free.
(b) She was allowed to call her grandmother for an hour a day for free.
(c) She was allowed to call her grandmother for an hour a day for ten dollars.
(d) She could call her sister for an hour a day for free.
9. At what age was the character featured in the poem entitled "First Marking Period" raped?
10. To which group of people is Anderson referring when she describes trolls hiding under bridges and dogs hunting a particular icon?
11. In the poem entitled "inappropriate dictators," Anderson states that "censorship is the child of" (191) what?
12. Anderson reports that her father again found work in what arena after a period of years?
13. How many hours per week did Anderson work while attending Georgetown full-time?
14. The poem "Polyhymnia" (167) focuses on which of Anderson's firsts?
(a) Her first communion.
(b) Her first kiss.
(c) Her first day of high school.
(d) Her first day of middle school.
15. Anderson's husband calculated that she spoke to how many teens between publishing Speak and publishing SHOUT?
(a) Over 100,000.
(b) Over 3,000,000.
(c) Over 1,000,000.
(d) Over 500,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion of the speaker's acts as the central mood of the poem entitled 'sincerely" (236)?
2. What was the duration of Anderson's father's long absence during her adolescence?
3. Anderson states that when she was young, her father used to take her out of school on a whim so that they could engage in which activity together?
4. On what kind of farm did Anderson live as a child?
5. Anderson's mother told her that her father had gone to what city during his lengthy absence?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)