|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tory's marital status?
2. What does Stella come home with after her separation?
3. Where does Squawks Magrew meet the little person?
4. How does Squawks Magrew feel at the end of the story?
5. Who is Bill married to in "The Sojourner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Allan Cedar need to do in order to be happy?
2. What is May's pain at the end of "A Country Love Story"?
3. How does the woman in "Cruel and Barbarious Treatment" use adultery, and what is the result?
4. How does Pepe believe he has become a man?
5. How is "You Could Look It Up" told?
6. How does Christian Darling essentially lose his wife?
7. Describe Warburton and his manner with servants.
8. What does "Marriage A La Mode" show about England?
9. What does Edward dislike about Tory?
10. How does Daniel push May away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character backgrounds are important in any story, especially in "The Sojourner." What do all the characters have in common? What makes them all different? How do their backgrounds affect their interactions with others, specifically John? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Cruel and Barbarious Treatment," a married woman decides to reinvent herself. How does the woman in the story reinvent herself? Why does she reinvent herself? Does her reinvention succeed? Why or why not? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility is a prominent theme in "Open Winter." How is the theme of responsibility reflected in the story? Which character best exemplifies responsibility? Why? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)