|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tory's son's name?
2. How many balls does the little person in "You Could Look It Up" get when at bat?
3. What is William's wife's name in "Marriage A La Mode"?
4. Who does Joanna take a ride with after a horse show?
5. What does Stella come home with after her separation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edward dislike about Tory?
2. What practical joke does Mrs. Sappleton's niece play on Framton Nuttle?
3. How does Larry forgive his father?
4. How does Daniel push May away?
5. Why is "Virga Vay & Allan Cedar" a love story gone wrong?
6. Briefly describe the Freudian theme in "My Oedipal Complex."
7. How does Christian Darling essentially lose his wife?
8. How does Elizabeth realize she used her power in the wrong way in "A Spinster's Tale"?
9. How does William's character contrast from that of his wife's in "Marriage A La Mode"?
10. How will John Ferris seek a more permanent status in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Egg," success and failure are prominent themes. What failures and successes are shown in the story? What does the egg represent? How does the egg reflect the story's themes of success and failure? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Flowering Judas" is a story about betrayal. How is the theme of betrayal reflected in the story? How is betrayal cyclical, especially in this story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "Cruel and Barbarious Treatment," a married woman decides to reinvent herself. How does the woman in the story reinvent herself? Why does she reinvent herself? Does her reinvention succeed? Why or why not? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)