|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sartoris's father disrespect the major?
2. Why does Harold's mother cry?
3. What is the name of the local tribe leader in "An Outpost of Progress"?
4. Who rescues Mabel?
5. What does Harold hate discussing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lefty struggle between his identity and future?
2. How is Beech Carwright rewarded for his actions?
3. How is Ben Drake's plan to leave thwarted by the Thayers?
4. Describe the father in "The Egg."
5. Describe the Thayers.
6. Describe Dexter Green and Judy's relationship.
7. What decision does Sartoris make concerning his father by the end of "Barn Burning"?
8. How does Harold Krebs come home from war as a different person?
9. Why does Mr. Duran feel anxious about marrying Polly?
10. Describe Pop Apling.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character backgrounds are important in any story, especially in "The Sojourner." What do all the characters have in common? What makes them all different? How do their backgrounds affect their interactions with others, specifically John? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"The Horse Dealer's Daughter" contains a love story involving two starkly different people. How are Mabel and Jack the same? How are they different? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Tree of Knowledge," love is a prominent theme that is reflected in many of the characters. How is the theme of love reflected in the story? Describe each character's connection with love in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)