|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sartoris's father?
2. What does Michael remember stealing as a child?
3. What does Michael's wife do at the end of "Impulse"?
4. Where do Joan and Jack meet in "Torch Song"?
5. Where does Lance go to in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carlier and Kayert's backgrounds.
2. Describe the father in "The Egg."
3. Describe the Thayers.
4. How does Jack Fergusson feel about Mabel Pervin before and after the suicide attempt?
5. Describe Foiral.
6. How are Jack Fergusson and Mabel Pervin different?
7. How is Michael an impulsive person in "Impulse"?
8. Describe Pop Apling.
9. How does Mrs. Mooney seek to increase the social class of her daughter, Polly?
10. What decision does Sartoris make concerning his father by the end of "Barn Burning"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Cruel and Barbarious Treatment," a married woman decides to reinvent herself. How does the woman in the story reinvent herself? Why does she reinvent herself? Does her reinvention succeed? Why or why not? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"A Red-Letter Day" portrays a single mother that is trying to have a normal relationship with her son. Describe Tory's personality. How do Tory's actions reflect on her personality in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In every story, there is a plot, which includes a climax, and that is no different in "Virga Vay & Allan." Discuss the events of the story leading up to the climax. What does the climax of the story demonstrate? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)