|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
2. What does Orwell suggest as an act of contrition for someone who has committed a sin?
3. Which of these is NOT one of the books Orwell names as a "good bad book"?
4. According to Orwell, what should the relationship be between the murderer and the victim?
5. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell states that he doesn't see the point of creating or reading nonsense poetry. In your opinion, why do some poets choose to create nonsense poetry? Is it inferior to other kinds of poetry? Do you think that the people who read or create nonsense poetry are different from those who read or create other kinds of poetry? If so, how are they different? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Burnham makes several inaccurate political predictions, and Orwell accuses him of power-worship. On what does Burnham base his predictions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the prisoner in Chapter 2. How does Orwell describe the prisoner? How do you think Orwell feels about the prisoner? What do you think his crime might have been? What is the significance of the officials' merrymaking so close to the site of the prisoner's death? What point is Orwell trying to make with this essay? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)