|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell suggest as an act of contrition for someone who has committed a sin?
2. What are the benefits of the poems in Chapter 17?
3. What relationship does Orwell establish between social justice and nature?
4. Why does Orwell claim that his readers think farmers and fishermen wouldn't be interested in reading his essays about nature?
5. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell extols the virtues of children's literature, such as "Superman", over those of "Tom Sawyer", and other similar stories. Do you agree with Orwell's position? In what ways is "Superman" superior to "Tom Sawyer", as children's literature? Are there any ways in which "Tom Sawyer" is better? Orwell claims that "Tom Sawyer" gives children a "false map" of the world - what false ideals do they get from stories like "Superman"? Which set of falsehoods is preferable? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell defends freedom of the press by saying that freedom of the political writer, and freedom of the non-political writer go hand-in-hand. Do you agree? Is it possible to have freedom of speech without freedom of the press, or vice versa? How does Orwell feel about the current trend of literary freedom? Do you agree? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Burnham makes several inaccurate political predictions, and Orwell accuses him of power-worship. On what does Burnham base his predictions?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)