|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how would reviews be handled in an ideal world?
2. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
3. According to Orwell, what do newspapers try to do when reporting on sports events?
4. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
5. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burnham states that capitalism is dying and that a socialist pyramid will replace it. Do you agree? Do you see Burnham's theory manifested in the United States in any way? If so, how? Do you agree with Orwell's assessment, that the Managerial Revolution has not greatly influenced the United States? In what countries do you think the Managerial Revolution has started to take effect? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell claims that Smith identified with the character of Gulliver, in "Gulliver's Travels". Do you agree? How well does Orwell present his argument? To what do you attribute the changes in Gulliver's character that Orwell describes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell claims that it is impossible to have friendly international sporting events. What is his reasoning? What is the difference, according to Orwell, between friendly, local sporting events, and international competitions? What is at stake in international games? Do you agree with Orwell's reasoning? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)