|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
2. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
3. What does Orwell use as an example of a new form of children's literature?
4. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
5. In "Good Bad Books", what kind of books does Orwell write about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell's essay about Gandhi is not flattering, but he grudgingly admits that Gandhi impresses him, in some ways. What does Orwell dislike most about Gandhi, and his practices? How does Orwell's opinion of Gandhi change, after reading his autobiography? How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of "Satyagraha," and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the crowd. What are the main characteristics of the crowd? What is Orwell's relationship with the crowd? What does the crowd represent? What is the overall significance of the crowd's character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the elephant. What does the elephant represent? What is Orwell's relationship with the elephant? How has the incident with the elephant affected Orwell? What relationship did the elephant have with the crowd? What is the overall significance of the elephant's character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)