|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of non-violent protest?
2. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
3. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
4. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
5. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolstoy's main target in his Shakespearean criticisms, and why?
2. According to Orwell, why is spring not a popular subject among his readers?
3. Who are the individuals that Orwell uses as examples in Chapter 13?
4. What relationship exists between Orwell and the Burmese natives?
5. What does Orwell think of children's stories such as "Tom Sawyer"?
6. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
7. How are sporting events similar to combat, according to Orwell?
8. What event in "Gulliver's Travels", according to Orwell, showed a link between Swift and his character, Gulliver?
9. Orwell cites the riots after the 1936 Olympic Games as proof of what?
10. What factors are ruining literary freedom, according to Orwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell extols the virtues of children's literature, such as "Superman", over those of "Tom Sawyer", and other similar stories. Do you agree with Orwell's position? In what ways is "Superman" superior to "Tom Sawyer", as children's literature? Are there any ways in which "Tom Sawyer" is better? Orwell claims that "Tom Sawyer" gives children a "false map" of the world - what false ideals do they get from stories like "Superman"? Which set of falsehoods is preferable? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Burnham states that capitalism is dying and that a socialist pyramid will replace it. Do you agree? Do you see Burnham's theory manifested in the United States in any way? If so, how? Do you agree with Orwell's assessment, that the Managerial Revolution has not greatly influenced the United States? In what countries do you think the Managerial Revolution has started to take effect? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the elephant. What does the elephant represent? What is Orwell's relationship with the elephant? How has the incident with the elephant affected Orwell? What relationship did the elephant have with the crowd? What is the overall significance of the elephant's character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)