|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
2. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
3. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
4. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
5. How did Gandhi feel about Satyagraha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are sporting events similar to combat, according to Orwell?
2. According to Orwell, what is the reason for the dearth of good contemporary murder literature?
3. Who are the individuals that Orwell uses as examples in Chapter 13?
4. According to Orwell, why is spring not a popular subject among his readers?
5. What does Orwell say about the mating of toads?
6. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
7. What happens after the prisoner's death?
8. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
9. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
10. Who is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell attempts to refute the criticisms of people who don't believe that spring is something he should be writing about. Do you agree with the claims of his critics - that social injustice is a more important topic, and that people who work outdoors don't want to read about nature? Or do you agree with Orwell - that nature is just as important, and those who work outdoors have even more appreciation for nature? Provide evidence (not already provided by Orwell) to back up your opinion. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, Orwell's status changes from oppressor, to victim. How does his stay in Hopital X change his status? Do you think that his stay at Hopital X would have given him a different attitude toward the Burmese, if he had gone back? Why? Why is his escape from Hopital X significant? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the elephant. What does the elephant represent? What is Orwell's relationship with the elephant? How has the incident with the elephant affected Orwell? What relationship did the elephant have with the crowd? What is the overall significance of the elephant's character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 2,076 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)