|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
2. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
3. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
4. How is the Burmese jail described?
5. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of children's literature does Orwell prefer?
2. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
3. What happens after the prisoner's death?
4. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
5. What are Orwell's criteria for a "perfect" murder?
6. Orwell wonders if entering the world of politics had what effect on Gandhi?
7. According to the evidence Orwell presents from "Gulliver's Travels", how does Gulliver feel about science?
8. How does Burnham's theory about the "manners and morals" of a given era differ from Orwell's?
9. What link does Orwell establish between freedom of the press, and other forms of liberty?
10. How does Orwell define a "Good Bad Book" in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burnham makes several inaccurate political predictions, and Orwell accuses him of power-worship. On what does Burnham base his predictions?
Essay Topic 2
Orwell suggests planting a tree as a form of repentance for sins. Do you agree? What do you think would happen if people began following Orwell's advice? Do you think it is possible to change a bloody legacy with Orwell's form of repentance? Why do you think the historical figures that Orwell names chose to attempt to do so? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell tallies the price of books, and proves that the price of books is not the reason why people choose not to read. Do you agree? What effect do you think economical situations have on literacy? Given the choice between a movie and a book, which do you think most people would choose and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)