Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
2. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
3. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
4. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell prove his theory about the lack of good murder literature?
2. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
3. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
4. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
5. What factors are ruining literary freedom, according to Orwell?
6. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
7. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
8. What is the substance of Burnham's "Managerial Revolution", as relayed by Orwell in Chapter 9?
9. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
10. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
Essay Topic 1
Orwell claims that Smith identified with the character of Gulliver, in "Gulliver's Travels". Do you agree? How well does Orwell present his argument? To what do you attribute the changes in Gulliver's character that Orwell describes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell's essay about Gandhi is not flattering, but he grudgingly admits that Gandhi impresses him, in some ways. What does Orwell dislike most about Gandhi, and his practices? How does Orwell's opinion of Gandhi change, after reading his autobiography? How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of "Satyagraha," and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the elephant. What does the elephant represent? What is Orwell's relationship with the elephant? How has the incident with the elephant affected Orwell? What relationship did the elephant have with the crowd? What is the overall significance of the elephant's character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)