|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
2. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
3. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
4. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
5. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Orwell, why don't people read?
2. How does Orwell describe the prisoner?
3. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
4. What scene does Orwell describe as the setting for reading a good murder mystery?
5. What is Orwell's overall intention, according to his statements at the end of Chapter 6?
6. How does Burnham's theory about the "manners and morals" of a given era differ from Orwell's?
7. What is Orwell's conclusion about the price of books in Chapter 15?
8. What type of children's literature does Orwell prefer?
9. How does Orwell respond to Tolstoy's criticisms of Shakespeare?
10. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell defends freedom of the press by saying that freedom of the political writer, and freedom of the non-political writer go hand-in-hand. Do you agree? Is it possible to have freedom of speech without freedom of the press, or vice versa? How does Orwell feel about the current trend of literary freedom? Do you agree? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tolstoy's criticism of Shakespeare's work. What criticisms does Tolstoy offer? What evidence does he present to back up his criticisms? Is the evidence he presents accurate? How does Orwell respond? Do you agree with Orwell, or Tolstoy? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell claims that it is impossible to have friendly international sporting events. What is his reasoning? What is the difference, according to Orwell, between friendly, local sporting events, and international competitions? What is at stake in international games? Do you agree with Orwell's reasoning? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)