|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
2. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
3. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
4. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
5. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
2. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
3. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
4. How does Orwell feel about nonsense poetry?
5. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
6. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
7. How does Orwell describe the book reviewer in Chapter 14?
8. Under what circumstances does Orwell think it is possible to have a friendly sports game, and why?
9. What does Orwell say about Burnham's theory about Stalin?
10. What factors are ruining literary freedom, according to Orwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burnham states that capitalism is dying and that a socialist pyramid will replace it. Do you agree? Do you see Burnham's theory manifested in the United States in any way? If so, how? Do you agree with Orwell's assessment, that the Managerial Revolution has not greatly influenced the United States? In what countries do you think the Managerial Revolution has started to take effect? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Tolstoy criticizes Shakespeare in a variety of ways. Do you agree with any of Tolstoy's criticisms? If so, which ones? What do you think of Orwell's rebuttals for each point made by Tolstoy? Do you believe Tolstoy's claims about how Shakespeare got his reputation, or do you believe that his reputation was earned? How would you respond to the points Tolstoy makes about "King Lear"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tolstoy's criticism of Shakespeare's work. What criticisms does Tolstoy offer? What evidence does he present to back up his criticisms? Is the evidence he presents accurate? How does Orwell respond? Do you agree with Orwell, or Tolstoy? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)