Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
2. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
3. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
4. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell prove his theory about the lack of good murder literature?
2. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
3. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
4. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
5. What factors are ruining literary freedom, according to Orwell?
6. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
7. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
8. What is the substance of Burnham's "Managerial Revolution", as relayed by Orwell in Chapter 9?
9. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
10. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tolstoy's criticism of Shakespeare's work. What criticisms does Tolstoy offer? What evidence does he present to back up his criticisms? Is the evidence he presents accurate? How does Orwell respond? Do you agree with Orwell, or Tolstoy? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Burnham states that capitalism is dying and that a socialist pyramid will replace it. Do you agree? Do you see Burnham's theory manifested in the United States in any way? If so, how? Do you agree with Orwell's assessment, that the Managerial Revolution has not greatly influenced the United States? In what countries do you think the Managerial Revolution has started to take effect? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell claims that it is impossible to have friendly international sporting events. What is his reasoning? What is the difference, according to Orwell, between friendly, local sporting events, and international competitions? What is at stake in international games? Do you agree with Orwell's reasoning? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 2,007 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)