|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
2. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
3. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
4. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
5. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
2. According to Orwell, what could the reader of "Gulliver's Travels" infer about Swift's political views?
3. What treatments does Orwell undergo in Hopital X?
4. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
5. What is Orwell's overall intention, according to his statements at the end of Chapter 6?
6. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
7. What scene does Orwell describe as the setting for reading a good murder mystery?
8. What is Tolstoy's main target in his Shakespearean criticisms, and why?
9. How does Burnham's theory about the "manners and morals" of a given era differ from Orwell's?
10. According to Orwell, why don't people read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the elephant. What does the elephant represent? What is Orwell's relationship with the elephant? How has the incident with the elephant affected Orwell? What relationship did the elephant have with the crowd? What is the overall significance of the elephant's character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell claims that Smith identified with the character of Gulliver, in "Gulliver's Travels". Do you agree? How well does Orwell present his argument? To what do you attribute the changes in Gulliver's character that Orwell describes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell tallies the price of books, and proves that the price of books is not the reason why people choose not to read. Do you agree? What effect do you think economical situations have on literacy? Given the choice between a movie and a book, which do you think most people would choose and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)