|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
2. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
3. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
4. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
5. Burnham was influenced by what political writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scene does Orwell describe as the setting for reading a good murder mystery?
2. What is Orwell's recommendation to the reader in Chapter 13?
3. What are some of the books that Orwell names as "Good Bad Books", and what flaw do they share?
4. Who are the individuals that Orwell uses as examples in Chapter 13?
5. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
6. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
7. What flaws are shared by all of the examples of "bad English" that Orwell offers?
8. What does Orwell say about Burnham's theory about Stalin?
9. How does Orwell define a "Good Bad Book" in Chapter 16?
10. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Burnham makes several inaccurate political predictions, and Orwell accuses him of power-worship. On what does Burnham base his predictions?
Essay Topic 2Discuss the character of the elephant. What does the elephant represent? What is Orwell's relationship with the elephant? How has the incident with the elephant affected Orwell? What relationship did the elephant have with the crowd? What is the overall significance of the elephant's character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3Orwell claims that Smith identified with the character of Gulliver, in "Gulliver's Travels". Do you agree? How well does Orwell present his argument? To what do you attribute the changes in Gulliver's character that Orwell describes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)