|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
2. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
3. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
4. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
5. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
2. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
3. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
4. How does Orwell define a "Good Bad Book" in Chapter 16?
5. What flaws are shared by all of the examples of "bad English" that Orwell offers?
6. What is Orwell's recommendation to the reader in Chapter 13?
7. According to the evidence Orwell presents from "Gulliver's Travels", how does Gulliver feel about science?
8. What does Orwell say about the mating of toads?
9. What is Orwell's problem with the use of words like "romantic" or "vitality"?
10. Orwell cites the riots after the 1936 Olympic Games as proof of what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolstoy criticizes Shakespeare in a variety of ways. Do you agree with any of Tolstoy's criticisms? If so, which ones? What do you think of Orwell's rebuttals for each point made by Tolstoy? Do you believe Tolstoy's claims about how Shakespeare got his reputation, or do you believe that his reputation was earned? How would you respond to the points Tolstoy makes about "King Lear"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Burnham makes several inaccurate political predictions, and Orwell accuses him of power-worship. On what does Burnham base his predictions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tolstoy's criticism of Shakespeare's work. What criticisms does Tolstoy offer? What evidence does he present to back up his criticisms? Is the evidence he presents accurate? How does Orwell respond? Do you agree with Orwell, or Tolstoy? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)