|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
2. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
3. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
4. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
5. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the substance of Burnham's "Managerial Revolution", as relayed by Orwell in Chapter 9?
2. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
3. What are some of the books that Orwell names as "Good Bad Books", and what flaw do they share?
4. How are sporting events similar to combat, according to Orwell?
5. According to Orwell, what were Burnham's political predictions based on?
6. What is the substance of the four speakers' speeches, as relayed by Orwell in Chapter 8?
7. What is Orwell's occupation, in the first chapter?
8. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
9. How does Orwell describe the prisoner?
10. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell's essay about Gandhi is not flattering, but he grudgingly admits that Gandhi impresses him, in some ways. What does Orwell dislike most about Gandhi, and his practices? How does Orwell's opinion of Gandhi change, after reading his autobiography? How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of "Satyagraha," and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Burnham states that capitalism is dying and that a socialist pyramid will replace it. Do you agree? Do you see Burnham's theory manifested in the United States in any way? If so, how? Do you agree with Orwell's assessment, that the Managerial Revolution has not greatly influenced the United States? In what countries do you think the Managerial Revolution has started to take effect? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell attempts to refute the criticisms of people who don't believe that spring is something he should be writing about. Do you agree with the claims of his critics - that social injustice is a more important topic, and that people who work outdoors don't want to read about nature? Or do you agree with Orwell - that nature is just as important, and those who work outdoors have even more appreciation for nature? Provide evidence (not already provided by Orwell) to back up your opinion. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 2,000 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)