|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
2. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
3. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
4. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
5. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell say about Burnham's theory about Stalin?
2. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
3. What is Orwell's conclusion about the price of books in Chapter 15?
4. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
5. What factors are ruining literary freedom, according to Orwell?
6. How does Burnham's theory about the "manners and morals" of a given era differ from Orwell's?
7. How does Orwell describe the prisoner?
8. What event in "Gulliver's Travels", according to Orwell, showed a link between Swift and his character, Gulliver?
9. How does Orwell feel about nonsense poetry?
10. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell attempts to refute the criticisms of people who don't believe that spring is something he should be writing about. Do you agree with the claims of his critics - that social injustice is a more important topic, and that people who work outdoors don't want to read about nature? Or do you agree with Orwell - that nature is just as important, and those who work outdoors have even more appreciation for nature? Provide evidence (not already provided by Orwell) to back up your opinion. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell claims that it is impossible to have friendly international sporting events. What is his reasoning? What is the difference, according to Orwell, between friendly, local sporting events, and international competitions? What is at stake in international games? Do you agree with Orwell's reasoning? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell suggests planting a tree as a form of repentance for sins. Do you agree? What do you think would happen if people began following Orwell's advice? Do you think it is possible to change a bloody legacy with Orwell's form of repentance? Why do you think the historical figures that Orwell names chose to attempt to do so? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)