|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call the hospital?
2. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
3. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
4. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell define a "Good Bad Book" in Chapter 16?
2. How does Orwell prove his theory about the lack of good murder literature?
3. According to Orwell, why don't people read?
4. Who are the individuals that Orwell uses as examples in Chapter 13?
5. Under what circumstances does Orwell think it is possible to have a friendly sports game, and why?
6. What are some of the books that Orwell names as "Good Bad Books", and what flaw do they share?
7. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
8. How does Orwell describe the book reviewer in Chapter 14?
9. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
10. What is Tolstoy's main target in his Shakespearean criticisms, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Orwell claims that it is impossible to have friendly international sporting events. What is his reasoning? What is the difference, according to Orwell, between friendly, local sporting events, and international competitions? What is at stake in international games? Do you agree with Orwell's reasoning? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Orwell tallies the price of books, and proves that the price of books is not the reason why people choose not to read. Do you agree? What effect do you think economical situations have on literacy? Given the choice between a movie and a book, which do you think most people would choose and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Orwell claims that Smith identified with the character of Gulliver, in "Gulliver's Travels". Do you agree? How well does Orwell present his argument? To what do you attribute the changes in Gulliver's character that Orwell describes? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text in defending your conclusions.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)