|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
(a) A rich aristocrat.
(b) A lower-class citizen.
(c) A local professional.
(d) A celebrity.
2. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
(a) A home.
(b) A church.
(c) A garden.
(d) A schoolhouse.
3. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
4. What are the benefits of the poems in Chapter 17?
(a) They are funny, or fun to read.
(b) They are written by great poets.
(c) They are easy to remember.
(d) They are short.
5. What does Orwell say about the meaning of the poems he mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) They mean very little.
(b) They mean something different to each person who reads them.
(c) They have no meaning.
(d) They have profound meaning, though disguised.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what are the feelings between two teams in a sporting event?
2. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
3. What does Orwell use as an example of a new form of children's literature?
4. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
5. What nonsense poet is named in Chapter 17?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)