|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Helen's Babies" say about America, according to Orwell?
(a) It characterizes America much more tamely than older literature.
(b) It portrays America inaccurately.
(c) It is a characterization of only one class in American society.
(d) It portrays Americans as immature and selfish.
2. Orwell refers to all of the titles in Chapter 16 as great examples of what?
(a) Light literature.
(b) Children's literature.
(c) Fantasy tales.
(d) Commercial literature.
3. According to Orwell, what flaw is shared by all of the titles he mentions in Chapter 16?
(a) A boring plot.
(b) Unmemorable characters.
(c) A kind of absurdity.
(d) Poor writing skill.
4. What are the benefits of the poems in Chapter 17?
(a) They are short.
(b) They are funny, or fun to read.
(c) They are written by great poets.
(d) They are easy to remember.
5. According to Orwell, what should the relationship be between the murderer and the victim?
(c) Son or daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell say about children's books, in Chapter 18?
2. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
3. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
4. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
5. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)