|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Jules Verne.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Orson Scott Wells.
2. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) "Hey Diddle Diddle".
(b) "The Owl and the Pussycat".
(c) "Solomon Grundy".
(d) "Humpty Dumpty".
3. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
(a) Financial ruin.
(b) Disgrace or scandal.
4. What do Orwell's readers think Orwell should be focusing on?
(a) Writing literary criticism.
(b) Commenting on political injustices.
(c) Righting social wrongs.
(d) Writing fiction.
5. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
(b) "Golden Age."
(c) "Dark Ages."
(d) "Elizabethan period."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
2. What does Orwell say about children's books, in Chapter 18?
3. How does Orwell feel about the quality of contemporary murder literature?
4. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
5. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)