|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what did older American literature have, that the newer doesn't?
(b) Memorable plots.
(c) Sympathetic characters.
(d) Frightening villains.
2. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) "Humpty Dumpty".
(b) "Solomon Grundy".
(c) "The Owl and the Pussycat".
(d) "Hey Diddle Diddle".
3. How does the animal discussed in Chapter 12 discern the sex of other members of its species?
(a) By the color of their skin.
(b) By attempting to mate.
(c) By the markings on their backs.
(d) By the length of their legs.
4. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
(a) They make them better.
(b) They have no effect.
(c) They make them worse.
(d) They worsen relations between citizens, but improve relations between leaders.
5. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
(a) Reading a book takes too much effort.
(b) They would rather go to movies, to pubs, or watch dog racing.
(c) Books are too expensive.
(d) The plots of most books are boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell use as an example of a new form of children's literature?
2. In Chapter 15, Orwell tallies the price of what commodities?
3. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
4. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
5. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)