|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell refers to all of the titles in Chapter 16 as great examples of what?
(a) Light literature.
(b) Children's literature.
(c) Commercial literature.
(d) Fantasy tales.
2. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
(d) Lust or power.
3. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
4. Orwell says, in Chapter 12, that he has occasionally found what in summer?
(a) A salamander, under a log.
(b) A den of fox kits.
(c) A patch of wheat.
(d) A toad that never woke up from hibernation.
5. What does "Helen's Babies" say about America, according to Orwell?
(a) It portrays Americans as immature and selfish.
(b) It portrays America inaccurately.
(c) It is a characterization of only one class in American society.
(d) It characterizes America much more tamely than older literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell cite as a reason for the quality of contemporary murder literature?
2. What is the main characteristic of the poems, written by the poet mentioned in Chapter 17?
3. How does Orwell feel about spring?
4. What nonsense poet is named in Chapter 17?
5. How does Orwell feel about Jack the Ripper?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)