|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
(a) A garden.
(b) A home.
(c) A church.
(d) A schoolhouse.
2. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
(a) His many illegitimate children.
(b) Tamarind trees.
(c) Spectacular gardens.
(d) An enormous and elaborate temple.
3. According to Orwell, what did older American literature have, that the newer doesn't?
(a) Frightening villains.
(b) Sympathetic characters.
(d) Memorable plots.
4. How does Orwell describe "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
(a) Poorly written, but memorable.
(b) Boring, but well-executed.
(c) Frivolous and stupid.
(d) Childish and melodramatic.
5. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
(b) The players' personal pride.
(c) Monetary concerns.
(d) Nationalist spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
2. What does "Helen's Babies" say about America, according to Orwell?
3. How does Orwell feel about the quality of contemporary murder literature?
4. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
5. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)