|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) An expensive seat at the cinema.
(b) A carriage ride.
(c) A Cuban cigar.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
2. What kind of person is Thibaw?
(a) Drunken and homicidal.
(b) Colorful, but harmless.
(c) Fair and just.
(d) Wise and noble.
3. What does Orwell cite as a reason for the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) Crimes are becoming less memorable.
(b) People aren't interested in reading it.
(c) The government is censoring it too much.
(d) There are currently no good writers.
4. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
(a) Lust or power.
5. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
2. In "Good Bad Books", what kind of books does Orwell write about?
3. What are the benefits of the poems in Chapter 17?
4. Which of these is NOT one of the books Orwell names as a "good bad book"?
5. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)