|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
(a) A yew tree.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A pocket watch.
(d) A gold medallion.
2. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) "Hey Diddle Diddle".
(b) "Humpty Dumpty".
(c) "Solomon Grundy".
(d) "The Owl and the Pussycat".
3. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
(a) He is too busy to write them.
(b) The works he is reviewing are boring.
(c) He is afraid of offending the works' authors.
(d) He keeps getting interrupted.
4. What does Orwell say about children's books, in Chapter 18?
(a) They have adult themes that are too advanced for children.
(b) They are too complicated for most children.
(c) They are ineffective at teaching values and morals.
(d) They give one a "false map" of the world.
5. What is the main characteristic of the poems, written by the poet mentioned in Chapter 17?
(a) The first and last lines share the same rhyme.
(b) They are popular with children.
(c) They are obscene.
(d) They have an ABAB rhyme scheme.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the animal discussed in Chapter 12 discern the sex of other members of its species?
2. How many works is the person in Chapter 14 attempting to review?
3. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
4. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
5. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)