|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "The Tomb."
(b) "L'hopital du mort."
(c) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(d) "Hopital X."
2. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
3. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
(b) It was a good thing - in India.
(c) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(d) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
4. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
5. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
(a) The 4-H Club.
(b) The Rotary Club.
(c) The Lions Club.
(d) The P.E.N. Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
2. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
3. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
4. What has the elephant destroyed?
5. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
2. What are some of the books that Orwell names as "Good Bad Books", and what flaw do they share?
3. How does Orwell define a "Good Bad Book" in Chapter 16?
4. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
5. Why did Orwell kill the elephant against his will?
6. What factors are ruining literary freedom, according to Orwell?
7. According to Orwell, what were Burnham's political predictions based on?
8. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
9. What does Orwell say about Burnham's theory about Stalin?
10. What is Orwell's recommendation to the reader in Chapter 13?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)