|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
(a) They can be used, but only when writing for a certain audience.
(b) They are unnecessary, and should be replaced with common language.
(c) They should be used whenever possible, to elevate writing.
(d) They should only be used in certain types of literature.
2. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(b) Better education.
(c) Common sense.
(d) Caring more.
3. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(b) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(c) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(d) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
4. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
5. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was a good thing - in India.
(b) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(c) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(d) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
2. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
3. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
4. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
5. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
2. According to Orwell, what were Burnham's political predictions based on?
3. What link does Orwell establish between freedom of the press, and other forms of liberty?
4. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
5. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
6. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
7. What relationship exists between Orwell and the Burmese natives?
8. According to Orwell, what changes occur in the character of Gulliver, in each part of "Gulliver's Travels"?
9. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
10. Who are the individuals that Orwell uses as examples in Chapter 13?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)