|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burnham write about Stalin?
(a) He is a sham, who must be overthrown.
(b) He is less than ideal, but still a competent leader.
(c) He is brilliant and misunderstood.
(d) He is a necessary and logical continuation from Lenin.
2. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
(a) He has been imprisoned.
(b) He has gone from being the oppressor, to being the victim.
(c) He has been reassigned.
(d) He has been demoted.
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "The Misanthrope".
(b) "Romeo and Juliet".
(c) "King Lear".
(d) "Dr. Faustus".
4. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
(a) They are somewhere in the middle of the pyramid.
(b) Burnham does not discuss the socialist position of workers, only managers.
(c) They are near the top of the pyramid.
(d) They are semi-slaves, who are at the bottom of the pyramid.
5. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(b) It was domesticated.
(c) It had escaped from the zoo.
(d) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
2. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
3. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
4. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
5. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Orwell, what changes occur in the character of Gulliver, in each part of "Gulliver's Travels"?
2. Under what circumstances does Orwell think it is possible to have a friendly sports game, and why?
3. How does Orwell prove his theory about the lack of good murder literature?
4. Orwell wonders if entering the world of politics had what effect on Gandhi?
5. What happens after the prisoner's death?
6. How does Orwell describe the book reviewer in Chapter 14?
7. According to Orwell, why is spring not a popular subject among his readers?
8. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
9. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
10. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)