|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
2. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
3. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Caring more.
(c) Common sense.
(d) Better education.
4. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(b) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(c) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(d) Because it is his job.
5. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(c) That it is alive and well.
(d) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
2. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
3. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
4. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
5. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's problem with the use of words like "romantic" or "vitality"?
2. What link does Orwell establish between freedom of the press, and other forms of liberty?
3. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
4. Why did Orwell kill the elephant against his will?
5. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
6. How does Orwell describe the prisoner?
7. According to Orwell, what were Burnham's political predictions based on?
8. Who is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
9. How does Orwell respond to the critics of his spring essays?
10. According to Orwell, what changes occur in the character of Gulliver, in each part of "Gulliver's Travels"?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)