|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(a) The application of mustard poultices.
(b) Cold baths.
2. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
3. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(b) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(c) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
4. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
(a) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Russians under Stalin.
(b) The Russians under Stalin, and the Italians under Mussolini.
(c) The Kurds under Hussein, and the Jews in Nazi Germany.
(d) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Burmese under the British Empire.
5. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
2. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
3. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
4. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
5. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship exists between Orwell and the Burmese natives?
2. How does Orwell describe the prisoner?
3. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
4. How does Orwell describe the book reviewer in Chapter 14?
5. According to the evidence Orwell presents from "Gulliver's Travels", how does Gulliver feel about science?
6. What is the substance of Burnham's "Managerial Revolution", as relayed by Orwell in Chapter 9?
7. Based on Orwell's description, what is the life cycle of a toad?
8. How does Orwell prove his theory about the lack of good murder literature?
9. What flaws are shared by all of the examples of "bad English" that Orwell offers?
10. According to Orwell, what were Burnham's political predictions based on?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)