|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They try to help him escape.
(b) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
(c) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(d) They want him to die quickly.
2. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
(a) Sentences made of clichéd phrases.
(b) Works written by more than one author.
(c) Stories with poorly fleshed-out characters.
(d) Poorly thought-out paragraphs.
3. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The general public.
(c) Those who are in power.
(d) Religious figures.
4. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
(a) The Lions Club.
(b) The Rotary Club.
(c) The 4-H Club.
(d) The P.E.N. Club.
5. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Spacious and institutional.
(b) Wet and unsanitary.
(c) Old and musty.
(d) Small and dank.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
2. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
3. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
4. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
5. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Orwell, what changes occur in the character of Gulliver, in each part of "Gulliver's Travels"?
2. What is Orwell's overall intention, according to his statements at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Who is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
4. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
5. How does Orwell feel about nonsense poetry?
6. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
7. What is Orwell's problem with the use of words like "romantic" or "vitality"?
8. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
9. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
10. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)