|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(b) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
(c) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
(d) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
2. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was a good thing - in India.
(b) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(c) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(d) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
3. How many people were killed by the elephant while it was rampaging?
4. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
(a) Liberty of thought.
(b) Laws that protect the populace.
(c) Its opposite - oppression.
(d) Censorship of expression.
5. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
(a) Adding unnecessary phrases to a sentence.
(b) Unnecessary prefixes and suffixes.
(c) Using an incorrect word in place of another.
(d) Unnecessarily turning a word into a phrase.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
2. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
3. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
4. Burnham was influenced by what political writer?
5. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the reason for the dearth of good contemporary murder literature?
2. What is Orwell's recommendation to the reader in Chapter 13?
3. What relationship exists between Orwell and the Burmese natives?
4. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
5. What effect does Gandhi's autobiography have on Orwell?
6. What is Orwell's occupation, in the first chapter?
7. How does Orwell respond to the critics of his spring essays?
8. What are some of the books that Orwell names as "Good Bad Books", and what flaw do they share?
9. According to Orwell, what were Burnham's political predictions based on?
10. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)