|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
(b) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(c) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
(d) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
2. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) Close to the location of the corpse.
(b) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
(c) At the local tavern.
(d) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
3. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(d) Go back to work.
4. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) His children.
(c) Organized religion.
5. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He argued against freedom of the press.
(b) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
(c) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(d) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
2. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
3. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
4. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
5. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Orwell wonders if entering the world of politics had what effect on Gandhi?
2. What is Orwell's overall intention, according to his statements at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
4. What does Orwell say about the mating of toads?
5. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
6. What treatments does Orwell undergo in Hopital X?
7. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
8. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
9. What effect does Gandhi's autobiography have on Orwell?
10. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)