|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
2. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(b) He argued against freedom of the press.
(c) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
(d) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
3. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
(a) Once his condition was stable, he was moved to another facility.
(b) He left fully recovered with a doctor's discharge.
(c) He fled before his time was up, and without an official discharge.
(d) He transferred to another hospital, to be under the care of his own doctor.
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
(a) To appeal to writers of grammar books and dictionaries.
(b) To inject clear thinking into the process aiding readers in fundamental remedies.
(c) To address the issue to teachers of the language.
(d) He does not think there is anything that can be done.
5. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
(c) That it is alive and well.
(d) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
2. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
3. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
4. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
5. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on Orwell's description, what is the life cycle of a toad?
2. According to Orwell, what is the reason for the dearth of good contemporary murder literature?
3. What treatments does Orwell undergo in Hopital X?
4. What scene does Orwell describe as the setting for reading a good murder mystery?
5. How are sporting events similar to combat, according to Orwell?
6. What are Orwell's criteria for a "perfect" murder?
7. Who are the individuals that Orwell uses as examples in Chapter 13?
8. What is Orwell's overall intention, according to his statements at the end of Chapter 6?
9. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
10. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)