|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
2. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A stray cat.
3. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He misunderstands them.
(b) He takes them out of context.
(c) He misquotes them.
(d) He distorts them.
4. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) It is impossible to prove.
(b) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(c) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(d) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
5. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The names of his family members.
(b) Nonsense words.
(c) The name of the god, Ram.
(d) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
2. What does the narrator call the hospital?
3. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
4. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
5. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
2. What type of children's literature does Orwell prefer?
3. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
4. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
5. According to Orwell, what could the reader of "Gulliver's Travels" infer about Swift's political views?
6. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
7. How does the elephant die?
8. Orwell wonders if entering the world of politics had what effect on Gandhi?
9. Why did Orwell kill the elephant against his will?
10. Whom does Orwell name in Chapter 17 as a well-known nonsense poet?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)