|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
(a) Unnecessarily turning a word into a phrase.
(b) Using an incorrect word in place of another.
(c) Unnecessary prefixes and suffixes.
(d) Adding unnecessary phrases to a sentence.
2. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
(a) He is cowardly, and mentally imbalanced.
(b) He is a con artist.
(c) His prophecies are based on good evidence, but they are misinterpreted.
(d) He has good intentions, but is misguided.
3. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
(a) Intervene in only the most critical situations.
(b) Make the terminally ill patients as comfortable as possible.
(c) Triage the patients, starting with the most critically injured.
(d) Travel from one target patient to the next, ignoring the other patients who are suffering.
4. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) Organized religion.
(b) His children.
5. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
(a) Because Orwell believes that Gandhi is lying about his abstinence from sex and meat.
(b) Because Orwell doesn't understand the point of either practice.
(c) Because his reasoning is based on a view that this world is an illusion.
(d) Because Orwell doesn't think that either practice is necessary for political leverage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
2. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
3. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
4. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
5. How did Gandhi feel about Satyagraha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Orwell kill the elephant against his will?
2. What relationship exists between Orwell and the Burmese natives?
3. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
4. According to Orwell, why don't people read?
5. What pamphlet was the subject of the meeting of the P.E.N. Club that takes place in Chapter 8?
6. What is Orwell's recommendation to the reader in Chapter 13?
7. What scene does Orwell describe as the setting for reading a good murder mystery?
8. Orwell cites the riots after the 1936 Olympic Games as proof of what?
9. What event in "Gulliver's Travels", according to Orwell, showed a link between Swift and his character, Gulliver?
10. According to Orwell, why is spring not a popular subject among his readers?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)