|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They want him to die quickly.
(b) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
(c) They try to help him escape.
(d) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
3. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(a) Lethal injection.
(b) Firing squad.
4. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
(a) "King Lear".
(b) "Gulliver's Travels".
(c) "Gandhi and Stalin".
5. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(b) The application of mustard poultices.
(d) Cold baths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's profession?
2. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
3. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
4. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
5. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's problem with the use of words like "romantic" or "vitality"?
2. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
3. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
4. What is Orwell's overall intention, according to his statements at the end of Chapter 6?
5. What is Orwell's conclusion about the price of books in Chapter 15?
6. Based on Orwell's description, what is the life cycle of a toad?
7. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
8. What treatments does Orwell undergo in Hopital X?
9. What type of children's literature does Orwell prefer?
10. Orwell wonders if entering the world of politics had what effect on Gandhi?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)