|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
2. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
3. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(b) It was a good thing - in India.
(c) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(d) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
4. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He committed small sins.
(b) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
(c) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(d) He was the same as he was in adult life.
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(b) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(c) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(d) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
2. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
3. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
4. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
5. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell prove his theory about the lack of good murder literature?
2. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
3. What is Orwell's opinion about book reviews?
4. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
5. What factors are ruining literary freedom, according to Orwell?
6. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
7. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
8. What is the substance of Burnham's "Managerial Revolution", as relayed by Orwell in Chapter 9?
9. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
10. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)