|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
(a) His spectacles.
(b) His hair, which is turning grey.
(c) His cane.
(d) His arthritic hands.
2. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
(a) He accomplished much more.
(b) He left a remarkably "clean smell" behind.
(c) He didn't focus on the same issues.
(d) He didn't accomplish as much.
3. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
(b) Criticize and oppose.
(c) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
(d) Express personal opinions.
4. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
(b) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(c) It had escaped from the zoo.
(d) It was domesticated.
5. Where is the narrator working?
Short Answer Questions
1. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
2. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
3. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
4. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
5. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell think of children's stories such as "Tom Sawyer"?
2. How does Orwell respond to Tolstoy's criticisms of Shakespeare?
3. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
4. Orwell cites the riots after the 1936 Olympic Games as proof of what?
5. What is Tolstoy's main target in his Shakespearean criticisms, and why?
6. How does Orwell describe the book reviewer in Chapter 14?
7. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
8. What are Orwell's criteria for a "perfect" murder?
9. What is the substance of the four speakers' speeches, as relayed by Orwell in Chapter 8?
10. What relationship exists between Orwell and the Burmese natives?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)