|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(b) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
(c) The lack of affordable higher education.
(d) The poor quality of public education.
2. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
(a) The prisoners.
(b) The police.
(c) The British.
(d) The Burmese.
3. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
(a) They are openly violent at times.
(b) They are respectful to his face, but sneer at him behind his back.
(c) They are respectful and grateful to him.
(d) They harass and insult him whenever they can.
4. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) Rampages through the crowd of spectators.
(b) Bites the executioner.
(c) Stings the attending guard.
(d) Jumps up and tries to lick the prisoner's face.
5. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) Those who are in power.
(b) Religious figures.
(c) The aristocracy.
(d) The general public.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
2. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
3. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
4. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
5. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of non-violent protest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What link does Orwell establish between freedom of the press, and other forms of liberty?
2. According to Orwell, what could the reader of "Gulliver's Travels" infer about Swift's political views?
3. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
4. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
5. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
6. What type of children's literature does Orwell prefer?
7. What is Orwell's occupation, in the first chapter?
8. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
9. What does Orwell think of children's stories such as "Tom Sawyer"?
10. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)