|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the narrator working?
2. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
(a) They were good soldiers, with corrupt leadership.
(b) They may have been monsters in a different era, but in this one, they were fine.
(c) They were well intended, but misguided.
(d) They were monsters.
3. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
(b) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(c) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(d) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
4. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(b) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(c) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(d) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
5. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
2. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
3. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
4. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What flaws are shared by all of the examples of "bad English" that Orwell offers?
2. Based on Orwell's description, what is the life cycle of a toad?
3. What type of children's literature does Orwell prefer?
4. According to the evidence Orwell presents from "Gulliver's Travels", how does Gulliver feel about science?
5. Orwell cites the riots after the 1936 Olympic Games as proof of what?
6. What does Orwell say about Burnham's theory about Stalin?
7. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
8. Orwell feels that international sporting events have what effect on the relations between the countries involved?
9. How does Orwell feel about nonsense poetry?
10. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)