|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(b) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(c) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(d) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
2. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(b) That it is alive and well.
(c) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(d) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
3. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
4. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
(a) The British.
(b) The Burmese.
(c) The police.
(d) The prisoners.
5. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The name of the god, Ram.
(b) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(c) Nonsense words.
(d) The names of his family members.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
2. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
3. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
4. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
5. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell define a "Good Bad Book" in Chapter 16?
2. What event in "Gulliver's Travels", according to Orwell, showed a link between Swift and his character, Gulliver?
3. How does Orwell feel about nonsense poetry?
4. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
5. How does Orwell describe the prisoner?
6. How does Orwell respond to the critics of his spring essays?
7. How are sporting events similar to combat, according to Orwell?
8. What is Orwell's overall intention, according to his statements at the end of Chapter 6?
9. What does Orwell think of children's stories such as "Tom Sawyer"?
10. According to Orwell, why is spring not a popular subject among his readers?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)