|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(a) Go back to work.
2. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
(a) They are somewhere in the middle of the pyramid.
(b) Burnham does not discuss the socialist position of workers, only managers.
(c) They are near the top of the pyramid.
(d) They are semi-slaves, who are at the bottom of the pyramid.
3. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
4. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A plank bed and water pot.
(b) A cot and toilet.
(d) A bedroll.
5. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(b) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
(c) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
(d) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
2. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
3. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
4. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
5. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship exists between Orwell and the Burmese natives?
2. What link does Orwell establish between freedom of the press, and other forms of liberty?
3. What treatments does Orwell undergo in Hopital X?
4. What flaws are shared by all of the examples of "bad English" that Orwell offers?
5. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
6. What pamphlet was the subject of the meeting of the P.E.N. Club that takes place in Chapter 8?
7. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
8. How does Orwell respond to Tolstoy's criticisms of Shakespeare?
9. What event in "Gulliver's Travels", according to Orwell, showed a link between Swift and his character, Gulliver?
10. Based on Orwell's description, what is the life cycle of a toad?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)