|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(b) Firing squad.
(d) Lethal injection.
2. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
3. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "Hopital X."
(b) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(c) "L'hopital du mort."
(d) "The Tomb."
4. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(b) Because it is his job.
(c) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(d) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
5. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(b) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
(c) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(d) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
2. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
3. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
4. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
5. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Orwell, why don't people read?
2. How does Orwell respond to the critics of his spring essays?
3. What is the meaning of "Satyagraha"?
4. What scene does Orwell describe as the setting for reading a good murder mystery?
5. What is Orwell's conclusion about the price of books in Chapter 15?
6. What are some of Tolstoy's criticisms about Shakespeare?
7. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
8. Whom does Orwell name in Chapter 17 as a well-known nonsense poet?
9. Who are the individuals that Orwell uses as examples in Chapter 13?
10. What link does Orwell establish between freedom of the press, and other forms of liberty?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)