|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
2. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(b) Because it is his job.
(c) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(d) Because he wants to collect the reward.
3. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
(a) "King Lear".
(b) "Gandhi and Stalin".
(d) "Gulliver's Travels".
4. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The American Empire.
(b) The Russian Empire.
(c) The Japanese Empire.
(d) The British Empire.
5. How does the elephant die?
(a) It is shot twice but dies slowly.
(b) It kills two people before finally collapsing.
(c) It doesn't die, it escapes.
(d) It dies quickly and painlessly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
2. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
3. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
4. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
5. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell respond to Tolstoy's criticisms of Shakespeare?
2. What type of children's literature does Orwell prefer?
3. How does Orwell feel about nonsense poetry?
4. What does Orwell say about Burnham's theory about Stalin?
5. What event in "Gulliver's Travels", according to Orwell, showed a link between Swift and his character, Gulliver?
6. What happens as the prisoner is being led to his fate?
7. What is Orwell's occupation, in the first chapter?
8. According to Orwell, what is the reason for the dearth of good contemporary murder literature?
9. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
10. What are some of the books that Orwell names as "Good Bad Books", and what flaw do they share?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)