|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
2. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
(a) They use an autoclave.
(b) They dip the tools in rubbing alcohol.
(c) They boil the tools.
(d) They don't.
3. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
(a) He converted to Christianity.
(b) His wife and children all died from influenza.
(c) He moved from England to Spain.
(d) He sustained a serious injury, and was paralyzed.
4. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He takes them out of context.
(b) He misunderstands them.
(c) He distorts them.
(d) He misquotes them.
5. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) German professors.
(b) American writers.
(c) English noblemen.
(d) Italian scholars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
2. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
3. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
4. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
5. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's recommendation to the reader in Chapter 13?
2. How does Orwell define a "Good Bad Book" in Chapter 16?
3. How has Orwell's situation been reversed in Chapter 3?
4. What is Tolstoy's main target in his Shakespearean criticisms, and why?
5. What does Orwell say about the general trend of the English language?
6. What pamphlet was the subject of the meeting of the P.E.N. Club that takes place in Chapter 8?
7. How does Orwell prove his theory about the lack of good murder literature?
8. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
9. What does Orwell think of children's stories such as "Tom Sawyer"?
10. In what manner does Orwell leave Hopital X?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)