|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
(a) The Russians under Stalin, and the Italians under Mussolini.
(b) The Kurds under Hussein, and the Jews in Nazi Germany.
(c) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Russians under Stalin.
(d) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Burmese under the British Empire.
2. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(b) "Hopital X."
(c) "L'hopital du mort."
(d) "The Tomb."
3. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
4. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
(d) None of the answers is correct.
5. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Abstract knowledge.
(b) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
(c) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
(d) Knowledge for its own sake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
2. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
3. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
4. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tolstoy, how did Shakespeare get such a grand reputation?
2. According to Orwell, what were Burnham's political predictions based on?
3. How does Orwell respond to the critics of his spring essays?
4. According to Orwell, why is spring not a popular subject among his readers?
5. What does Orwell say about the sanitation of Hopital X?
6. How does Orwell respond to Tolstoy's criticisms of Shakespeare?
7. What does Orwell say about Gandhi's methods of non-violent protest?
8. What is Tolstoy's main target in his Shakespearean criticisms, and why?
9. What does Orwell think of children's stories such as "Tom Sawyer"?
10. Who is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)