|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Helen's Babies" say about America, according to Orwell?
(a) It portrays Americans as immature and selfish.
(b) It is a characterization of only one class in American society.
(c) It characterizes America much more tamely than older literature.
(d) It portrays America inaccurately.
2. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
3. How many works is the person in Chapter 14 attempting to review?
4. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
(a) Financial ruin.
(d) Disgrace or scandal.
5. What does Orwell cite as a reason for the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) There are currently no good writers.
(b) Crimes are becoming less memorable.
(c) People aren't interested in reading it.
(d) The government is censoring it too much.
6. What are the benefits of the poems in Chapter 17?
(a) They are easy to remember.
(b) They are short.
(c) They are funny, or fun to read.
(d) They are written by great poets.
7. Orwell refers to all of the titles in Chapter 16 as great examples of what?
(a) Light literature.
(b) Fantasy tales.
(c) Commercial literature.
(d) Children's literature.
8. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
9. Which of these is NOT one of the books Orwell names as a "good bad book"?
(a) Thomas Hardy's "The Return of the Native".
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin".
(c) Bram Stoker's "Dracula".
(d) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes".
10. What does Orwell use as an example of a new form of children's literature?
(a) The "Hardy Boys" series.
(b) The "Superman" comics.
(c) The "Nancy Drew" series.
(d) The "Penrod" series.
11. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
(a) Egypt and Spain.
(b) Spain and France.
(c) America and England.
(d) China and Japan.
12. What kind of person is Thibaw?
(a) Wise and noble.
(b) Colorful, but harmless.
(c) Fair and just.
(d) Drunken and homicidal.
13. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
(a) Collecting food for another hibernation.
(b) The toad to eat, before it starves.
(c) The spring mating season.
14. According to Orwell, what should the relationship be between the murderer and the victim?
(d) Son or daughter.
15. How does Orwell feel about Jack the Ripper?
(a) He thinks it was actually a group of people committing the murders.
(b) He thinks he was a fraud.
(c) He thinks he was sloppy, and just got lucky in not being caught.
(d) He committed "perfect" murders, worthy of being turned into literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Orwell's readers think Orwell should be focusing on?
2. According to Orwell, what are the feelings between two teams in a sporting event?
3. According to Orwell, what did older American literature have, that the newer doesn't?
4. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
5. What is the main characteristic of the poems, written by the poet mentioned in Chapter 17?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)