|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main characteristic of the poems, written by the poet mentioned in Chapter 17?
(a) They are popular with children.
(b) They are obscene.
(c) The first and last lines share the same rhyme.
(d) They have an ABAB rhyme scheme.
2. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
3. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
(a) China and Japan.
(b) Spain and France.
(c) America and England.
(d) Egypt and Spain.
4. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
5. What does Orwell say about children's books, in Chapter 18?
(a) They are ineffective at teaching values and morals.
(b) They give one a "false map" of the world.
(c) They have adult themes that are too advanced for children.
(d) They are too complicated for most children.
6. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
(a) Only the poor works would be reviewed, so that people could avoid them.
(b) All works would receive equal treatment.
(c) Only the good works would be reviewed, so that people could seek them out.
(d) Good works would get long, detailed reviews; poor ones would get only a few lines.
7. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Orson Scott Wells.
(d) Jules Verne.
8. Orwell states that books are the least expensive media pleasures, next to what?
9. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(a) Chess pieces.
10. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
11. Orwell says, in Chapter 12, that he has occasionally found what in summer?
(a) A toad that never woke up from hibernation.
(b) A patch of wheat.
(c) A salamander, under a log.
(d) A den of fox kits.
12. What do Orwell's readers think Orwell should be focusing on?
(a) Writing literary criticism.
(b) Writing fiction.
(c) Commenting on political injustices.
(d) Righting social wrongs.
13. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) A carriage ride.
(b) A Cuban cigar.
(c) An expensive seat at the cinema.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
14. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
(a) He is afraid of offending the works' authors.
(b) He is too busy to write them.
(c) He keeps getting interrupted.
(d) The works he is reviewing are boring.
15. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
2. How does the animal discussed in Chapter 12 discern the sex of other members of its species?
3. According to Orwell, spring is more noticeable for people in what areas?
4. How does Orwell feel about the quality of contemporary murder literature?
5. What does Orwell say about the meaning of the poems he mentions in Chapter 17?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)