|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
2. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
(a) Orson Scott Wells.
(b) Jules Verne.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Mark Twain.
3. What do Orwell's readers think Orwell should be focusing on?
(a) Writing literary criticism.
(b) Righting social wrongs.
(c) Writing fiction.
(d) Commenting on political injustices.
4. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
5. Why does Orwell claim that his readers think farmers and fishermen wouldn't be interested in reading his essays about nature?
(a) They are more interested in politics than people who live in urban areas.
(b) Most of them are uneducated, and illiterate.
(c) They work too closely with it, so they are not interested in reading about it.
(d) Orwell isn't good at writing about nature.
6. According to Orwell, what flaw is shared by all of the titles he mentions in Chapter 16?
(a) Unmemorable characters.
(b) A kind of absurdity.
(c) A boring plot.
(d) Poor writing skill.
7. Orwell states that books are the least expensive media pleasures, next to what?
8. How much did it cost to plant the garden Orwell describes in Chapter 13?
(a) Twelve and sixpence.
(b) Three shillings.
(c) Six and sixpence.
(d) Two pounds.
9. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
(b) He doesn't offer an opinion.
(c) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(d) He doesn't believe it is possible.
10. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
11. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
12. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) A carriage ride.
(b) An expensive seat at the cinema.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A Cuban cigar.
13. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
14. What are the benefits of the poems in Chapter 17?
(a) They are short.
(b) They are written by great poets.
(c) They are funny, or fun to read.
(d) They are easy to remember.
15. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
(a) It's okay, as long as the other team is also cheating.
(b) A win is a win, regardless of how it is earned.
(c) It is a win without honor or meaning.
(d) It's okay, if the cheating team is so far behind that winning one game won't affect the overall outcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
2. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
3. Which of these is NOT one of the books Orwell names as a "good bad book"?
4. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
5. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)