|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orwell claim that his readers think farmers and fishermen wouldn't be interested in reading his essays about nature?
(a) Orwell isn't good at writing about nature.
(b) Most of them are uneducated, and illiterate.
(c) They work too closely with it, so they are not interested in reading about it.
(d) They are more interested in politics than people who live in urban areas.
2. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
(a) A gold medallion.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A yew tree.
(d) A pocket watch.
3. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
4. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
(a) The plots of most books are boring.
(b) Reading a book takes too much effort.
(c) Books are too expensive.
(d) They would rather go to movies, to pubs, or watch dog racing.
5. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
(a) It's okay, as long as the other team is also cheating.
(b) A win is a win, regardless of how it is earned.
(c) It's okay, if the cheating team is so far behind that winning one game won't affect the overall outcome.
(d) It is a win without honor or meaning.
6. Which title, named in Chapter 16, is also the subject of Chapter 18?
(b) "Uncle Tom's Cabin".
(c) "King Solomon's Mines".
(d) "Helen's Babies".
7. What is the main characteristic of the poems, written by the poet mentioned in Chapter 17?
(a) They are obscene.
(b) They have an ABAB rhyme scheme.
(c) They are popular with children.
(d) The first and last lines share the same rhyme.
8. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
(a) An enormous and elaborate temple.
(b) His many illegitimate children.
(c) Tamarind trees.
(d) Spectacular gardens.
9. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
(b) Lust or power.
10. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
(a) A rich aristocrat.
(b) A lower-class citizen.
(c) A local professional.
(d) A celebrity.
11. According to Orwell, what are the feelings between two teams in a sporting event?
12. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
(a) Saturday morning.
(b) Sunday afternoon.
(c) Friday evening.
(d) Saturday evening.
13. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They don't always understand the rules.
(b) They feel they are being discriminated against.
(c) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
(d) They think it is the only way they will win.
14. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
15. What does "Helen's Babies" say about America, according to Orwell?
(a) It portrays America inaccurately.
(b) It characterizes America much more tamely than older literature.
(c) It is a characterization of only one class in American society.
(d) It portrays Americans as immature and selfish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
2. According to Orwell, what did older American literature have, that the newer doesn't?
3. What conclusion does Orwell reach about the prices of the commodities he compares in Chapter 15?
4. Which of these is NOT one of the books Orwell names as a "good bad book"?
5. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)