|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Helen's Babies" say about America, according to Orwell?
(a) It is a characterization of only one class in American society.
(b) It portrays Americans as immature and selfish.
(c) It portrays America inaccurately.
(d) It characterizes America much more tamely than older literature.
2. What does Orwell say about the meaning of the poems he mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) They mean very little.
(b) They have no meaning.
(c) They have profound meaning, though disguised.
(d) They mean something different to each person who reads them.
3. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
(a) "Golden Age."
(b) "Dark Ages."
(d) "Elizabethan period."
4. According to Orwell, what are the feelings between two teams in a sporting event?
5. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
6. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
(a) Reading a book takes too much effort.
(b) Books are too expensive.
(c) They would rather go to movies, to pubs, or watch dog racing.
(d) The plots of most books are boring.
7. How does Orwell feel about spring?
(a) He dislikes it.
(b) He finds it intriguing, but it neither pleases nor displeases him.
(c) He observes it disinterestedly.
(d) He takes great pleasure in it.
8. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
9. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
(a) Jules Verne.
(b) Orson Scott Wells.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
10. Which of these is NOT one of the books Orwell names as a "good bad book"?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin".
(b) Bram Stoker's "Dracula".
(c) Thomas Hardy's "The Return of the Native".
(d) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes".
11. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A gold medallion.
(c) A pocket watch.
(d) A yew tree.
12. What does Orwell use as an example of a new form of children's literature?
(a) The "Nancy Drew" series.
(b) The "Penrod" series.
(c) The "Superman" comics.
(d) The "Hardy Boys" series.
13. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
(a) Tamarind trees.
(b) Spectacular gardens.
(c) His many illegitimate children.
(d) An enormous and elaborate temple.
14. According to Orwell, what did older American literature have, that the newer doesn't?
(a) Frightening villains.
(c) Memorable plots.
(d) Sympathetic characters.
15. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
(b) They don't always understand the rules.
(c) They feel they are being discriminated against.
(d) They think it is the only way they will win.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of person is Thibaw?
2. Orwell remarks that no one ever plants what type of tree?
3. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
4. What does Orwell say about children's books, in Chapter 18?
5. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)