|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell suggest as an act of contrition for someone who has committed a sin?
(a) Planting a tree.
(c) Confessing to a priest.
(d) Working to right their wrong.
2. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
(a) A local professional.
(b) A rich aristocrat.
(c) A celebrity.
(d) A lower-class citizen.
3. How does Orwell describe "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
(a) Childish and melodramatic.
(b) Boring, but well-executed.
(c) Poorly written, but memorable.
(d) Frivolous and stupid.
4. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
(a) A gold medallion.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A yew tree.
5. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
(b) The spring mating season.
(c) Collecting food for another hibernation.
(d) The toad to eat, before it starves.
6. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
(a) They make them better.
(b) They worsen relations between citizens, but improve relations between leaders.
(c) They have no effect.
(d) They make them worse.
7. Why does Orwell claim that his readers think farmers and fishermen wouldn't be interested in reading his essays about nature?
(a) They are more interested in politics than people who live in urban areas.
(b) Orwell isn't good at writing about nature.
(c) They work too closely with it, so they are not interested in reading about it.
(d) Most of them are uneducated, and illiterate.
8. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
9. What do Orwell's readers think Orwell should be focusing on?
(a) Righting social wrongs.
(b) Writing fiction.
(c) Writing literary criticism.
(d) Commenting on political injustices.
10. How does Orwell feel about spring?
(a) He takes great pleasure in it.
(b) He dislikes it.
(c) He finds it intriguing, but it neither pleases nor displeases him.
(d) He observes it disinterestedly.
11. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
12. Orwell remarks that no one ever plants what type of tree?
13. Which title, named in Chapter 16, is also the subject of Chapter 18?
(b) "Helen's Babies".
(c) "King Solomon's Mines".
(d) "Uncle Tom's Cabin".
14. According to Orwell, what did older American literature have, that the newer doesn't?
(a) Sympathetic characters.
(b) Memorable plots.
(d) Frightening villains.
15. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
2. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
3. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
4. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
5. According to Orwell, spring is more noticeable for people in what areas?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)