|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
(a) A gold medallion.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A yew tree.
2. How many crimes does Orwell mention as being turned into great literature?
3. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
4. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
(a) The spring mating season.
(c) The toad to eat, before it starves.
(d) Collecting food for another hibernation.
5. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
(b) Lust or power.
6. What nonsense poet is named in Chapter 17?
(a) Ogden Nash.
(b) Christopher Isherwood.
(c) Edward Lear.
(d) Mervyn Peake
7. How does Orwell feel about spring?
(a) He takes great pleasure in it.
(b) He dislikes it.
(c) He observes it disinterestedly.
(d) He finds it intriguing, but it neither pleases nor displeases him.
8. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
9. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) "The Owl and the Pussycat".
(b) "Hey Diddle Diddle".
(c) "Solomon Grundy".
(d) "Humpty Dumpty".
10. How much did it cost to plant the garden Orwell describes in Chapter 13?
(a) Six and sixpence.
(b) Two pounds.
(c) Three shillings.
(d) Twelve and sixpence.
11. What is the most famous poem written by the poet mentioned in Chapter 17?
(a) "Hey Diddle Diddle".
(b) "The Cat's In the Cradle".
(c) "The Owl and the Pussycat".
(d) "Old Mother Hubbard".
12. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
(b) They feel they are being discriminated against.
(c) They don't always understand the rules.
(d) They think it is the only way they will win.
13. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
(a) They worsen relations between citizens, but improve relations between leaders.
(b) They make them worse.
(c) They have no effect.
(d) They make them better.
14. Orwell states that books are the least expensive media pleasures, next to what?
15. Why does Orwell claim that his readers think farmers and fishermen wouldn't be interested in reading his essays about nature?
(a) Orwell isn't good at writing about nature.
(b) They are more interested in politics than people who live in urban areas.
(c) They work too closely with it, so they are not interested in reading about it.
(d) Most of them are uneducated, and illiterate.
Short Answer Questions
1. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
2. Orwell says, in Chapter 12, that he has occasionally found what in summer?
3. How does Orwell feel about books?
4. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
5. What kind of person is Thibaw?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)