|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
(a) Good works would get long, detailed reviews; poor ones would get only a few lines.
(b) Only the poor works would be reviewed, so that people could avoid them.
(c) Only the good works would be reviewed, so that people could seek them out.
(d) All works would receive equal treatment.
2. According to Orwell, what are the feelings between two teams in a sporting event?
3. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
(a) Friday evening.
(b) Saturday evening.
(c) Sunday afternoon.
(d) Saturday morning.
4. What does Orwell cite as a reason for the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) People aren't interested in reading it.
(b) The government is censoring it too much.
(c) There are currently no good writers.
(d) Crimes are becoming less memorable.
5. What is the main characteristic of the poems, written by the poet mentioned in Chapter 17?
(a) They are popular with children.
(b) They are obscene.
(c) They have an ABAB rhyme scheme.
(d) The first and last lines share the same rhyme.
6. Which title, named in Chapter 16, is also the subject of Chapter 18?
(a) "Helen's Babies".
(b) "King Solomon's Mines".
(d) "Uncle Tom's Cabin".
7. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
(a) His many illegitimate children.
(b) Tamarind trees.
(c) An enormous and elaborate temple.
(d) Spectacular gardens.
8. In Chapter 15, Orwell tallies the price of what commodities?
(a) Alcohol, cigarettes and books.
(b) Movies, books and records.
(c) Alcohol and food.
(d) Food, clothing and books.
9. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(b) Chess pieces.
10. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
(b) The spring mating season.
(c) The toad to eat, before it starves.
(d) Collecting food for another hibernation.
11. What does Orwell say about the meaning of the poems he mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) They mean something different to each person who reads them.
(b) They have no meaning.
(c) They mean very little.
(d) They have profound meaning, though disguised.
12. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
13. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
14. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) "Humpty Dumpty".
(b) "Solomon Grundy".
(c) "The Owl and the Pussycat".
(d) "Hey Diddle Diddle".
15. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
(a) Orson Scott Wells.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Jules Verne.
(d) Mark Twain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
2. According to Orwell, what should the relationship be between the murderer and the victim?
3. In "Good Bad Books", what kind of books does Orwell write about?
4. What kind of person is Thibaw?
5. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)