|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
(a) Local, friendly games.
(b) Youth events.
(c) International sports.
(d) Events held for charity.
2. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
(a) A celebrity.
(b) A rich aristocrat.
(c) A local professional.
(d) A lower-class citizen.
3. Orwell states that books are the least expensive media pleasures, next to what?
4. How many works is the person in Chapter 14 attempting to review?
5. What nonsense poet is named in Chapter 17?
(a) Edward Lear.
(b) Mervyn Peake
(c) Christopher Isherwood.
(d) Ogden Nash.
6. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) An expensive seat at the cinema.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A carriage ride.
(d) A Cuban cigar.
7. What does Orwell cite as a reason for the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) People aren't interested in reading it.
(b) There are currently no good writers.
(c) Crimes are becoming less memorable.
(d) The government is censoring it too much.
8. What kind of person is Thibaw?
(a) Wise and noble.
(b) Colorful, but harmless.
(c) Drunken and homicidal.
(d) Fair and just.
9. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
(a) Sunday afternoon.
(b) Friday evening.
(c) Saturday morning.
(d) Saturday evening.
10. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
(a) America and England.
(b) China and Japan.
(c) Spain and France.
(d) Egypt and Spain.
11. What does Orwell suggest as an act of contrition for someone who has committed a sin?
(a) Working to right their wrong.
(b) Confessing to a priest.
(c) Planting a tree.
12. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(d) Chess pieces.
13. How much did it cost to plant the garden Orwell describes in Chapter 13?
(a) Three shillings.
(b) Six and sixpence.
(c) Two pounds.
(d) Twelve and sixpence.
14. Orwell remarks that no one ever plants what type of tree?
15. How does Orwell describe "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
(a) Frivolous and stupid.
(b) Poorly written, but memorable.
(c) Boring, but well-executed.
(d) Childish and melodramatic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
2. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
3. In Chapter 15, Orwell tallies the price of what commodities?
4. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
5. Which title, named in Chapter 16, is also the subject of Chapter 18?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)