Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of person is Thibaw?
(a) Colorful, but harmless.
(b) Drunken and homicidal.
(c) Wise and noble.
(d) Fair and just.
2. What is the first poem Orwell mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) "Humpty Dumpty".
(b) "Solomon Grundy".
(c) "The Owl and the Pussycat".
(d) "Hey Diddle Diddle".
3. Orwell refers to all of the titles in Chapter 16 as great examples of what?
(a) Commercial literature.
(b) Light literature.
(c) Children's literature.
(d) Fantasy tales.
4. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
(a) The plots of most books are boring.
(b) Books are too expensive.
(c) They would rather go to movies, to pubs, or watch dog racing.
(d) Reading a book takes too much effort.
5. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
6. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They feel they are being discriminated against.
(b) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
(c) They don't always understand the rules.
(d) They think it is the only way they will win.
7. In Chapter 15, Orwell tallies the price of what commodities?
(a) Movies, books and records.
(b) Food, clothing and books.
(c) Alcohol, cigarettes and books.
(d) Alcohol and food.
8. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
9. How much did it cost to plant the garden Orwell describes in Chapter 13?
(a) Twelve and sixpence.
(b) Three shillings.
(c) Six and sixpence.
(d) Two pounds.
10. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
(a) All works would receive equal treatment.
(b) Only the poor works would be reviewed, so that people could avoid them.
(c) Good works would get long, detailed reviews; poor ones would get only a few lines.
(d) Only the good works would be reviewed, so that people could seek them out.
11. Which title, named in Chapter 16, is also the subject of Chapter 18?
(a) "Helen's Babies".
(b) "Uncle Tom's Cabin".
(c) "King Solomon's Mines".
12. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
(b) Lust or power.
13. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
14. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
15. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many crimes does Orwell mention as being turned into great literature?
2. According to Orwell, what flaw is shared by all of the titles he mentions in Chapter 16?
3. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
4. According to Orwell, spring is more noticeable for people in what areas?
5. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)