|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
(a) The plots of most books are boring.
(b) Books are too expensive.
(c) Reading a book takes too much effort.
(d) They would rather go to movies, to pubs, or watch dog racing.
2. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
(a) An enormous and elaborate temple.
(b) Tamarind trees.
(c) His many illegitimate children.
(d) Spectacular gardens.
3. What kind of person is Thibaw?
(a) Colorful, but harmless.
(b) Fair and just.
(c) Drunken and homicidal.
(d) Wise and noble.
4. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
(a) Sunday afternoon.
(b) Saturday evening.
(c) Saturday morning.
(d) Friday evening.
5. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
(a) A local professional.
(b) A lower-class citizen.
(c) A rich aristocrat.
(d) A celebrity.
6. Orwell compares "Helen's Babies" with the works of what other author?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Jules Verne.
(d) Orson Scott Wells.
7. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
(a) Nationalist spirit.
(b) Monetary concerns.
(d) The players' personal pride.
8. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
(b) He doesn't believe it is possible.
(c) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(d) He doesn't offer an opinion.
9. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
10. In Chapter 15, Orwell tallies the price of what commodities?
(a) Food, clothing and books.
(b) Movies, books and records.
(c) Alcohol and food.
(d) Alcohol, cigarettes and books.
11. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
12. In "Good Bad Books", what kind of books does Orwell write about?
(a) Books that are good, but obscene.
(b) Books that aren't well written, but are popular because their authors are well known.
(c) Books that are well written, and underappreciated by critics.
(d) Books that survive the test of time, but aren't necessarily "good" books.
13. How much did it cost to plant the garden Orwell describes in Chapter 13?
(a) Three shillings.
(b) Two pounds.
(c) Twelve and sixpence.
(d) Six and sixpence.
14. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) A carriage ride.
(b) A Cuban cigar.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) An expensive seat at the cinema.
15. How does Orwell describe "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
(a) Boring, but well-executed.
(b) Frivolous and stupid.
(c) Poorly written, but memorable.
(d) Childish and melodramatic.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what do newspapers try to do when reporting on sports events?
2. How does Orwell feel about books?
3. According to Orwell, what did older American literature have, that the newer doesn't?
4. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
5. In Chapter 18, Orwell describes an image of what, taken from books such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)