|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Orwell's readers think Orwell should be focusing on?
(a) Writing fiction.
(b) Writing literary criticism.
(c) Commenting on political injustices.
(d) Righting social wrongs.
2. How does the animal discussed in Chapter 12 discern the sex of other members of its species?
(a) By the length of their legs.
(b) By the markings on their backs.
(c) By attempting to mate.
(d) By the color of their skin.
3. According to Orwell, when is the best time to read a good murder mystery?
(a) Sunday afternoon.
(b) Saturday morning.
(c) Saturday evening.
(d) Friday evening.
4. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
(a) They would rather go to movies, to pubs, or watch dog racing.
(b) The plots of most books are boring.
(c) Books are too expensive.
(d) Reading a book takes too much effort.
5. What are the benefits of the poems in Chapter 17?
(a) They are written by great poets.
(b) They are easy to remember.
(c) They are short.
(d) They are funny, or fun to read.
6. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
(a) A pocket watch.
(b) A gold medallion.
(c) A yew tree.
(d) A carriage.
7. What method of killing does Orwell prefer for murder mysteries?
(d) Hitting someone with a car.
8. What does Orwell cite as a reason for the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) There are currently no good writers.
(b) The government is censoring it too much.
(c) People aren't interested in reading it.
(d) Crimes are becoming less memorable.
9. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
(a) "Elizabethan period."
(b) "Golden Age."
(d) "Dark Ages."
10. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(a) Chess pieces.
11. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) An expensive seat at the cinema.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A Cuban cigar.
(d) A carriage ride.
12. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He doesn't believe it is possible.
(b) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(c) He doesn't offer an opinion.
(d) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
13. Chapter 12 begins with a description of the life cycle of what animal?
14. How does Orwell feel about spring?
(a) He takes great pleasure in it.
(b) He observes it disinterestedly.
(c) He dislikes it.
(d) He finds it intriguing, but it neither pleases nor displeases him.
15. Orwell states that books are the least expensive media pleasures, next to what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orwell claim that his readers think farmers and fishermen wouldn't be interested in reading his essays about nature?
2. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
3. According to Orwell, how would reviews be handled in an ideal world?
4. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
5. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)