|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Orwell think the managerial revolution, which Burnham writes about, has influenced the United States?
(a) Not at all.
(b) Very little.
(c) A lot.
2. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He committed small sins.
(b) He was the same as he was in adult life.
(c) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(d) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Swift identified with Gulliver.
(b) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(c) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(d) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
4. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He misunderstands them.
(b) He takes them out of context.
(c) He distorts them.
(d) He misquotes them.
5. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(b) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(c) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(d) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
6. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
(a) He is cowardly, and mentally imbalanced.
(b) He is a con artist.
(c) He has good intentions, but is misguided.
(d) His prophecies are based on good evidence, but they are misinterpreted.
7. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
(b) "Firmness in truth."
(c) "Strength in silence."
(d) "Belief in oneself."
8. What is the narrator's profession?
(b) Police officer.
9. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(b) Firing squad.
(d) Lethal injection.
10. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
(b) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
(c) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(d) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
11. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(b) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
(c) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
(d) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
12. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it is alive and well.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(c) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(d) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
13. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Abstract knowledge.
(b) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
(c) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
(d) Knowledge for its own sake.
14. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
15. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
(a) Swift believed in a higher power, but rejected organized religions.
(b) Swift subscribed to his own form of spirituality.
(c) He was not a religious man.
(d) Swift was a firm believer in the necessity of organized religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
2. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)