|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
2. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
(c) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(d) That it is alive and well.
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He feels that the books have an important message, but are poorly executed.
(b) He understands, and sympathizes with, Swift's message, but thinks the books are poorly executed.
(c) He is bored by them, and doesn't understand people's fascination with the story.
(d) He likes the books, and has reread them many times.
4. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Common sense.
(c) Caring more.
(d) Better education.
5. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(d) Go back to work.
6. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) The general public.
(b) The aristocracy.
(c) Those who are in power.
(d) Religious figures.
7. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(c) His children.
(d) Organized religion.
8. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
(a) The government's choice to regulate news media.
(b) The unnecessarily severe punishments for violating censorship laws.
(c) Laws that challenged obscenity in literary products.
(d) The inability of the government to police all media successfully.
9. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A bedroll.
(b) A cot and toilet.
(c) A plank bed and water pot.
10. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
(b) Close to the location of the corpse.
(c) At the local tavern.
(d) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
11. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
(a) They are respectful and grateful to him.
(b) They are respectful to his face, but sneer at him behind his back.
(c) They are openly violent at times.
(d) They harass and insult him whenever they can.
12. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
13. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The Japanese Empire.
(b) The American Empire.
(c) The British Empire.
(d) The Russian Empire.
14. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
(a) He left fully recovered with a doctor's discharge.
(b) He fled before his time was up, and without an official discharge.
(c) Once his condition was stable, he was moved to another facility.
(d) He transferred to another hospital, to be under the care of his own doctor.
15. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
(a) It is neither improving nor declining.
(b) It is declining, and the trend is irreversible.
(c) It is improving.
(d) It is in decline, but can be saved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
2. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
3. How is the Burmese jail described?
4. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
5. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)