|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
(b) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
(c) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(d) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
3. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
(a) He didn't focus on the same issues.
(b) He left a remarkably "clean smell" behind.
(c) He didn't accomplish as much.
(d) He accomplished much more.
4. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
5. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it is alive and well.
(b) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(c) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(d) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
6. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
(b) He was swayed by false prophets.
(c) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(d) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
7. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
(a) Adding unnecessary phrases to a sentence.
(b) Using an incorrect word in place of another.
(c) Unnecessary prefixes and suffixes.
(d) Unnecessarily turning a word into a phrase.
8. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(c) Cold baths.
(d) The application of mustard poultices.
9. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) Police officer.
10. How does the elephant die?
(a) It dies quickly and painlessly.
(b) It kills two people before finally collapsing.
(c) It doesn't die, it escapes.
(d) It is shot twice but dies slowly.
11. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
(b) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(c) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
(d) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
12. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He takes them out of context.
(b) He distorts them.
(c) He misunderstands them.
(d) He misquotes them.
13. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The names of his family members.
(b) The name of the god, Ram.
(c) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(d) Nonsense words.
14. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) Those who are in power.
(c) Religious figures.
(d) The general public.
15. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) As a mental exercise.
(b) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(c) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(d) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
2. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
3. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
4. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. How did Gandhi feel about Satyagraha?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)