|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
2. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
(a) Both appoint a leader without the input of the followers.
(b) Both are based on an idea that sounds much better until it is put into practice.
(c) Both refuse to acknowledge the honesty and intellectual capability of their opponents.
(d) Both provide harsh punishments for dissenters.
3. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
(a) The P.E.N. Club.
(b) The Lions Club.
(c) The Rotary Club.
(d) The 4-H Club.
4. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
(a) Intervene in only the most critical situations.
(b) Make the terminally ill patients as comfortable as possible.
(c) Travel from one target patient to the next, ignoring the other patients who are suffering.
(d) Triage the patients, starting with the most critically injured.
5. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
(a) He sustained a serious injury, and was paralyzed.
(b) He converted to Christianity.
(c) His wife and children all died from influenza.
(d) He moved from England to Spain.
6. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
(a) Unnecessarily turning a word into a phrase.
(b) Using an incorrect word in place of another.
(c) Unnecessary prefixes and suffixes.
(d) Adding unnecessary phrases to a sentence.
7. What has the elephant destroyed?
(a) A bamboo hut, some fruit stalls, and a rubbish van.
(b) A.grove of trees, a hut, and a bicycle.
(c) A cart with vegetables in it.
(d) A newsstand.
8. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
9. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
10. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Swift identified with Gulliver.
(b) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(c) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(d) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
11. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The American Empire.
(b) The Japanese Empire.
(c) The Russian Empire.
(d) The British Empire.
12. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) Police officer.
13. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
14. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(a) Cold baths.
(d) The application of mustard poultices.
15. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A stray cat.
(d) A stray dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
2. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
3. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
4. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
5. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)