Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
2. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
3. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(b) It was a good thing - in India.
(c) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(d) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
4. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He committed small sins.
(b) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
(c) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(d) He was the same as he was in adult life.
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(b) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(c) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(d) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
6. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
7. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
8. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
9. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
(a) Stories with poorly fleshed-out characters.
(b) Sentences made of clichéd phrases.
(c) Poorly thought-out paragraphs.
(d) Works written by more than one author.
10. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
11. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
12. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(a) The application of mustard poultices.
(d) Cold baths.
13. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A stray cat.
(d) An elephant.
14. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(b) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
(c) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
(d) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
15. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(b) As a mental exercise.
(c) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(d) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
2. What does the narrator call the hospital?
3. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
4. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
5. What has the elephant destroyed?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)