|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
2. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(c) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(d) That it is alive and well.
3. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
4. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "L'hopital du mort."
(b) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(c) "The Tomb."
(d) "Hopital X."
5. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) A lack of precision.
(b) A lack of creativity.
(c) Inappropriate metaphors.
(d) Poor grammar.
6. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(b) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(c) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(d) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
7. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
(a) "Firmness in truth."
(b) "Strength in silence."
(c) "Belief in oneself."
8. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
(a) Scarlet fever.
9. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
(b) He committed small sins.
(c) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(d) He was the same as he was in adult life.
10. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He walks with dignity.
(b) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(c) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(d) He begs for mercy.
11. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
(a) Unnecessary prefixes and suffixes.
(b) Adding unnecessary phrases to a sentence.
(c) Unnecessarily turning a word into a phrase.
(d) Using an incorrect word in place of another.
12. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
(a) He left a remarkably "clean smell" behind.
(b) He accomplished much more.
(c) He didn't focus on the same issues.
(d) He didn't accomplish as much.
13. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) Incapable and unsanitary.
(b) Compassionate, but incompetent.
(c) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
(d) Capable, but uncaring.
14. How much does Orwell think the managerial revolution, which Burnham writes about, has influenced the United States?
(b) Not at all.
(c) Very little.
(d) A lot.
15. How did Gandhi feel about Satyagraha?
(a) He did not believe in it, but professed it because it attracted a certain kind of person to be his follower.
(b) He believed in it, but was aware of its limitations.
(c) He believed that people who utilized Satyagraha could accomplish anything.
(d) He did not really believe in it, but professed it because otherwise his followers would resort to drastic measures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
2. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
3. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
4. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
5. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)