|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
2. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
(a) Gandhi's autobiography.
(b) The opinion of someone who knew Gandhi personally.
(c) Meeting Gandhi.
(d) News stories about Gandhi.
3. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
(a) They may have been monsters in a different era, but in this one, they were fine.
(b) They were well intended, but misguided.
(c) They were monsters.
(d) They were good soldiers, with corrupt leadership.
4. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
(c) None of the answers is correct.
5. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
6. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
(a) His prophecies are based on good evidence, but they are misinterpreted.
(b) He has good intentions, but is misguided.
(c) He is cowardly, and mentally imbalanced.
(d) He is a con artist.
7. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
(a) Because Orwell doesn't think that either practice is necessary for political leverage.
(b) Because Orwell believes that Gandhi is lying about his abstinence from sex and meat.
(c) Because his reasoning is based on a view that this world is an illusion.
(d) Because Orwell doesn't understand the point of either practice.
8. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
9. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
(b) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(c) As a mental exercise.
(d) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
10. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
11. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(b) A bedroll.
(c) A cot and toilet.
(d) A plank bed and water pot.
12. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The American Empire.
(b) The Russian Empire.
(c) The British Empire.
(d) The Japanese Empire.
13. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
(a) The inability of the government to police all media successfully.
(b) Laws that challenged obscenity in literary products.
(c) The government's choice to regulate news media.
(d) The unnecessarily severe punishments for violating censorship laws.
14. Where is the narrator working?
15. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
(a) They should only be used in certain types of literature.
(b) They should be used whenever possible, to elevate writing.
(c) They are unnecessary, and should be replaced with common language.
(d) They can be used, but only when writing for a certain audience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
2. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
4. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
5. How is the Burmese jail described?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)