|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
(a) Make the terminally ill patients as comfortable as possible.
(b) Travel from one target patient to the next, ignoring the other patients who are suffering.
(c) Triage the patients, starting with the most critically injured.
(d) Intervene in only the most critical situations.
2. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) As a mental exercise.
(b) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(c) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(d) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
3. What does Orwell say about the meaning of the poems he mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) They mean something different to each person who reads them.
(b) They mean very little.
(c) They have no meaning.
(d) They have profound meaning, though disguised.
4. How does Orwell feel about Jack the Ripper?
(a) He thinks he was sloppy, and just got lucky in not being caught.
(b) He committed "perfect" murders, worthy of being turned into literature.
(c) He thinks he was a fraud.
(d) He thinks it was actually a group of people committing the murders.
5. How many works is the person in Chapter 14 attempting to review?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
2. Orwell says, in Chapter 12, that he has occasionally found what in summer?
3. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
4. What does Orwell suggest as an act of contrition for someone who has committed a sin?
5. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)