|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell describe "Uncle Tom's Cabin"?
(a) Boring, but well-executed.
(b) Childish and melodramatic.
(c) Frivolous and stupid.
(d) Poorly written, but memorable.
2. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
(a) The Russians under Stalin, and the Italians under Mussolini.
(b) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Russians under Stalin.
(c) The Kurds under Hussein, and the Jews in Nazi Germany.
(d) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Burmese under the British Empire.
3. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
(a) He has been imprisoned.
(b) He has been demoted.
(c) He has gone from being the oppressor, to being the victim.
(d) He has been reassigned.
4. What nonsense poet is named in Chapter 17?
(a) Mervyn Peake
(b) Ogden Nash.
(c) Edward Lear.
(d) Christopher Isherwood.
5. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
(a) "Firmness in truth."
(b) "Strength in silence."
(d) "Belief in oneself."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
2. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
3. What kind of person is Thibaw?
4. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
5. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)