|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was domesticated.
(b) It had escaped from the zoo.
(c) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(d) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
2. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of non-violent protest?
(a) He agrees wholeheartedly with Gandhi's policy.
(b) It is effective in most circumstances, but not all.
(c) It can be effective, but only in some circumstances.
(d) It is ineffective, and unsuitable for the modern world.
3. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
(b) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
(c) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(d) He was swayed by false prophets.
4. What does Orwell say about the meaning of the poems he mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) They have profound meaning, though disguised.
(b) They mean something different to each person who reads them.
(c) They have no meaning.
(d) They mean very little.
5. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
(a) The Lions Club.
(b) The 4-H Club.
(c) The Rotary Club.
(d) The P.E.N. Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
2. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
3. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
4. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
5. How does Orwell feel about Jack the Ripper?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)