|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(b) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
(c) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(d) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
2. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(b) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(c) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(d) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
3. What does Orwell suggest as an act of contrition for someone who has committed a sin?
(b) Planting a tree.
(c) Confessing to a priest.
(d) Working to right their wrong.
4. What conclusion does Orwell reach about the prices of the commodities he compares in Chapter 15?
(a) Alcohol is more expensive than food, but well worth it.
(b) The only way to afford books is to cut out other luxuries, such as movies and records.
(c) For the price of a year's worth of alcohol and cigarettes, one could purchase a respectable collection of books.
(d) Books are more expensive than food and clothing, and Orwell doesn't understand why.
5. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
2. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
3. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
4. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
5. What does Burnham write about Stalin?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)