|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
(a) He accomplished much more.
(b) He left a remarkably "clean smell" behind.
(c) He didn't accomplish as much.
(d) He didn't focus on the same issues.
2. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(b) He committed small sins.
(c) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
(d) He was the same as he was in adult life.
3. Orwell remarks that no one ever plants what type of tree?
4. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
5. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) The poor quality of public education.
(b) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(c) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
(d) The lack of affordable higher education.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
2. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
3. Orwell refers to what form of medieval art to back up his claims about outdoor workers and nature?
4. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
5. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)