|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
(a) It makes use of alliteration.
(b) It anthropomorphizes a non-human entity.
(c) It is an overused cliché.
(d) It is a dying metaphor.
2. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(d) Go back to work.
3. What does Orwell suggest as an act of contrition for someone who has committed a sin?
(b) Working to right their wrong.
(c) Confessing to a priest.
(d) Planting a tree.
4. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
(a) It's okay, if the cheating team is so far behind that winning one game won't affect the overall outcome.
(b) A win is a win, regardless of how it is earned.
(c) It's okay, as long as the other team is also cheating.
(d) It is a win without honor or meaning.
5. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
2. What does the narrator call the hospital?
3. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
4. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
5. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)