|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say about the meaning of the poems he mentions in Chapter 17?
(a) They have no meaning.
(b) They mean something different to each person who reads them.
(c) They mean very little.
(d) They have profound meaning, though disguised.
2. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
3. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(b) A Cuban cigar.
(c) An expensive seat at the cinema.
(d) A carriage ride.
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
(a) Financial ruin.
(b) Disgrace or scandal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
2. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
3. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
4. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
5. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)