|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
2. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He argued against freedom of the press.
(b) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
(c) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(d) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
3. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) Religious figures.
(b) The general public.
(c) The aristocracy.
(d) Those who are in power.
4. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A plank bed and water pot.
(b) A cot and toilet.
(d) A bedroll.
5. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
(a) They should only be used in certain types of literature.
(b) They can be used, but only when writing for a certain audience.
(c) They should be used whenever possible, to elevate writing.
(d) They are unnecessary, and should be replaced with common language.
Short Answer Questions
1. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
2. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
3. What do Orwell's readers think Orwell should be focusing on?
4. What is the narrator's profession?
5. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)