|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
2. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
3. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(b) The names of his family members.
(c) The name of the god, Ram.
(d) Nonsense words.
4. How does Orwell feel about the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) It is poor, but improving.
(b) It is poor.
(c) It is good.
(d) It is good, but declining.
5. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
(a) Reading a book takes too much effort.
(b) The plots of most books are boring.
(c) Books are too expensive.
(d) They would rather go to movies, to pubs, or watch dog racing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the basis for Burnham's political predictions?
2. Why does Orwell claim that his readers think farmers and fishermen wouldn't be interested in reading his essays about nature?
3. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
4. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
5. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)