|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(b) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
(c) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
(d) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
2. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
(a) Expanding knowledge.
(b) Evoking feeling.
(c) Straightforward communication.
3. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
(a) The toad to eat, before it starves.
(b) The spring mating season.
(c) Collecting food for another hibernation.
4. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
(a) Local, friendly games.
(b) Events held for charity.
(c) Youth events.
(d) International sports.
5. What nonsense poet is named in Chapter 17?
(a) Ogden Nash.
(b) Mervyn Peake
(c) Christopher Isherwood.
(d) Edward Lear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
2. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
3. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
4. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
5. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)