|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
(b) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
(c) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(d) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
2. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
(a) It is a win without honor or meaning.
(b) It's okay, if the cheating team is so far behind that winning one game won't affect the overall outcome.
(c) It's okay, as long as the other team is also cheating.
(d) A win is a win, regardless of how it is earned.
3. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(b) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(c) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(d) It is impossible to prove.
4. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) Italian scholars.
(b) American writers.
(c) German professors.
(d) English noblemen.
5. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
2. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
3. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
4. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
5. What is the best motive for a compelling murder mystery, according to Orwell?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)