|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
2. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
(a) He fled before his time was up, and without an official discharge.
(b) He transferred to another hospital, to be under the care of his own doctor.
(c) He left fully recovered with a doctor's discharge.
(d) Once his condition was stable, he was moved to another facility.
3. How does Orwell feel about Jack the Ripper?
(a) He thinks he was a fraud.
(b) He committed "perfect" murders, worthy of being turned into literature.
(c) He thinks it was actually a group of people committing the murders.
(d) He thinks he was sloppy, and just got lucky in not being caught.
4. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
(a) They are unnecessary, and should be replaced with common language.
(b) They can be used, but only when writing for a certain audience.
(c) They should be used whenever possible, to elevate writing.
(d) They should only be used in certain types of literature.
5. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
2. How does Orwell feel about spring?
3. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
4. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
5. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)