|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(b) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(c) As a mental exercise.
(d) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
2. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(c) That it is alive and well.
(d) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
3. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(b) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(c) It is impossible to prove.
(d) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
4. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
(a) Stories with poorly fleshed-out characters.
(b) Works written by more than one author.
(c) Sentences made of clichéd phrases.
(d) Poorly thought-out paragraphs.
5. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He doesn't offer an opinion.
(b) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
(c) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(d) He doesn't believe it is possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
2. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
3. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
4. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
5. Burnham was influenced by what political writer?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)