|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
(a) They are unnecessarily long.
(b) They are used intentionally to elevate writing beyond the capability of the ordinary reader.
(c) He feels that they are used to "dress up" concepts that could be expressed in plainer terms.
(d) They consolidate, into one word, what should be expressed with a phrase.
2. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
(a) China and Japan.
(b) America and England.
(c) Spain and France.
(d) Egypt and Spain.
3. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(b) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(c) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(d) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
4. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) Swift's use of imagery and symbolism.
(b) The inconsistency of the plot.
(c) The changes in Gulliver's character.
(d) The literary devices used by the author.
5. Where is the narrator working?
Short Answer Questions
1. Burnham was influenced by what political writer?
2. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
3. What relationship does Orwell establish between social justice and nature?
4. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
5. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)