|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
(a) To further the point of the writer.
(b) To supply one thing with the attributes of another.
(c) To call up a visual image.
(d) To explain an association between two things
2. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
(a) The British.
(b) The Burmese.
(c) The police.
(d) The prisoners.
3. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
4. What does Burnham write about Stalin?
(a) He is brilliant and misunderstood.
(b) He is a necessary and logical continuation from Lenin.
(c) He is a sham, who must be overthrown.
(d) He is less than ideal, but still a competent leader.
5. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell states that books are the least expensive media pleasures, next to what?
2. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
3. According to Orwell, what do newspapers try to do when reporting on sports events?
4. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
5. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)