|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) The poor quality of public education.
(b) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(c) The lack of affordable higher education.
(d) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
2. How does the animal discussed in Chapter 12 discern the sex of other members of its species?
(a) By the length of their legs.
(b) By attempting to mate.
(c) By the markings on their backs.
(d) By the color of their skin.
3. What has the elephant destroyed?
(a) A.grove of trees, a hut, and a bicycle.
(b) A bamboo hut, some fruit stalls, and a rubbish van.
(c) A cart with vegetables in it.
(d) A newsstand.
4. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
(b) He feels compassion for it.
(c) He doesn't want to lose face.
(d) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
5. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(b) Swift identified with Gulliver.
(c) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(d) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
2. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
3. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
4. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
5. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)