|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(b) "L'hopital du mort."
(c) "The Tomb."
(d) "Hopital X."
2. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
(a) They should only be used in certain types of literature.
(b) They should be used whenever possible, to elevate writing.
(c) They can be used, but only when writing for a certain audience.
(d) They are unnecessary, and should be replaced with common language.
3. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(b) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(c) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
4. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Criticize and oppose.
(b) Express personal opinions.
(c) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
(d) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
5. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
(b) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
(c) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
(d) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
2. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
3. Chapter 12 begins with a description of the life cycle of what animal?
4. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
5. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)