|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) Organized religion.
(d) His children.
2. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
(a) It's okay, if the cheating team is so far behind that winning one game won't affect the overall outcome.
(b) It is a win without honor or meaning.
(c) It's okay, as long as the other team is also cheating.
(d) A win is a win, regardless of how it is earned.
3. How does Orwell feel about spring?
(a) He observes it disinterestedly.
(b) He takes great pleasure in it.
(c) He dislikes it.
(d) He finds it intriguing, but it neither pleases nor displeases him.
4. How much did it cost to plant the garden Orwell describes in Chapter 13?
(a) Six and sixpence.
(b) Two pounds.
(c) Twelve and sixpence.
(d) Three shillings.
5. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(b) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(c) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(d) Because it is his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
2. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
3. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
4. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
5. How does Orwell feel about the quality of contemporary murder literature?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)