|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(b) The poor quality of public education.
(c) The lack of affordable higher education.
(d) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
2. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
(a) To supply one thing with the attributes of another.
(b) To further the point of the writer.
(c) To call up a visual image.
(d) To explain an association between two things
3. What was Thibaw's legacy in Mandalay?
(a) His many illegitimate children.
(b) Spectacular gardens.
(c) Tamarind trees.
(d) An enormous and elaborate temple.
4. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "The Tomb."
(b) "Hopital X."
(c) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(d) "L'hopital du mort."
5. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They feel they are being discriminated against.
(b) They don't always understand the rules.
(c) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
(d) They think it is the only way they will win.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
2. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
3. According to Orwell, how would reviews be handled in an ideal world?
4. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
5. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)