|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He doesn't want to lose face.
(b) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(c) He feels compassion for it.
(d) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
2. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
(a) The inability of the government to police all media successfully.
(b) The unnecessarily severe punishments for violating censorship laws.
(c) The government's choice to regulate news media.
(d) Laws that challenged obscenity in literary products.
3. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
4. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(b) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(c) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(d) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
5. According to Orwell, spring is more noticeable for people in what areas?
(d) Rural and urban.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
2. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
3. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
4. What has the elephant destroyed?
5. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)