|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
(b) Knowledge for its own sake.
(c) Abstract knowledge.
(d) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
2. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(d) Go back to work.
3. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
4. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
(a) Disgrace or scandal.
(b) Financial ruin.
5. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He doesn't believe it is possible.
(b) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(c) He doesn't offer an opinion.
(d) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
3. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)