|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
(b) Incapable and unsanitary.
(c) Compassionate, but incompetent.
(d) Capable, but uncaring.
2. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
(a) The British.
(b) The prisoners.
(c) The Burmese.
(d) The police.
3. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
(a) The players' personal pride.
(b) Nationalist spirit.
(d) Monetary concerns.
4. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
5. According to Orwell, what do newspapers try to do when reporting on sports events?
(a) Cover up the enmity between opposing sides.
(b) Make their team look good.
(c) Incite fans.
(d) Report as accurately as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
3. What method of killing does Orwell prefer for murder mysteries?
4. According to Orwell, spring is more noticeable for people in what areas?
5. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)