|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
(b) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(c) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(d) It was a good thing - in India.
2. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
(a) Censorship of expression.
(b) Liberty of thought.
(c) Laws that protect the populace.
(d) Its opposite - oppression.
3. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
(a) Scarlet fever.
4. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(b) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(c) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(d) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
5. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
(a) Works written by more than one author.
(b) Poorly thought-out paragraphs.
(c) Sentences made of clichéd phrases.
(d) Stories with poorly fleshed-out characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the elephant destroyed?
2. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
3. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
4. How did Gandhi feel about Satyagraha?
5. Where is the narrator working?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)