|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) Italian scholars.
(b) German professors.
(c) English noblemen.
(d) American writers.
2. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
3. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
4. How did Gandhi feel about Satyagraha?
(a) He did not believe in it, but professed it because it attracted a certain kind of person to be his follower.
(b) He did not really believe in it, but professed it because otherwise his followers would resort to drastic measures.
(c) He believed that people who utilized Satyagraha could accomplish anything.
(d) He believed in it, but was aware of its limitations.
5. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(b) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(c) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(d) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
2. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
3. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
4. Orwell refers to the art of which countries to prove that those who work outdoors are interested in nature?
5. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)