|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
(a) It is in decline, but can be saved.
(b) It is declining, and the trend is irreversible.
(c) It is neither improving nor declining.
(d) It is improving.
2. How does the animal discussed in Chapter 12 discern the sex of other members of its species?
(a) By the color of their skin.
(b) By the length of their legs.
(c) By attempting to mate.
(d) By the markings on their backs.
3. According to Orwell, what is the basis for Burnham's political predictions?
(a) Statistical analysis.
(b) Psychic visions.
(c) Current political trends.
(d) Historical data.
4. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
(a) The Lions Club.
(b) The 4-H Club.
(c) The P.E.N. Club.
(d) The Rotary Club.
5. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(b) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(c) Because it is his job.
(d) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
2. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
3. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
4. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)