|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
(a) The players' personal pride.
(b) Monetary concerns.
(c) Nationalist spirit.
2. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
(a) The police.
(b) The Burmese.
(c) The British.
(d) The prisoners.
3. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
(a) They make them worse.
(b) They make them better.
(c) They have no effect.
(d) They worsen relations between citizens, but improve relations between leaders.
4. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
(b) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
(c) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(d) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
5. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
Short Answer Questions
1. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
2. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
3. How is the Burmese jail described?
4. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
5. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)