|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
(a) Disgrace or scandal.
(b) Financial ruin.
2. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
(a) Liberty of thought.
(b) Its opposite - oppression.
(c) Censorship of expression.
(d) Laws that protect the populace.
3. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
(a) Youth events.
(b) Local, friendly games.
(c) Events held for charity.
(d) International sports.
4. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
(a) He has been reassigned.
(b) He has gone from being the oppressor, to being the victim.
(c) He has been demoted.
(d) He has been imprisoned.
5. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
2. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
3. How much does Orwell think the managerial revolution, which Burnham writes about, has influenced the United States?
4. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
5. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)