|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) Those who are in power.
(b) The aristocracy.
(c) Religious figures.
(d) The general public.
2. How much does Orwell think the managerial revolution, which Burnham writes about, has influenced the United States?
(b) Very little.
(c) Not at all.
(d) A lot.
3. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Wet and unsanitary.
(b) Small and dank.
(c) Spacious and institutional.
(d) Old and musty.
4. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
5. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
2. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
3. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
4. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
5. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)