|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
(a) The world knew Stalin was crazy, but couldn't do anything to stop him.
(b) The world believed Stalin because he gave just enough evidence to back up his claims.
(c) The world wasn't aware of anything Stalin did until after he died.
(d) The things he did were so outrageous that the rest of the world was inclined to believe his reasons for doing so.
2. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(b) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(c) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
3. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) His children.
(b) Organized religion.
4. Burnham was influenced by what political writer?
(c) Thomas Aquinas.
(d) Immanuel Kant.
5. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "King Lear".
(b) "Romeo and Juliet".
(c) "Dr. Faustus".
(d) "The Misanthrope".
Short Answer Questions
1. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
2. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
3. The murderer, according to Orwell, kills his victim to avoid what?
4. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
5. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)