|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's profession?
(b) Police officer.
2. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
3. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
(a) The Kurds under Hussein, and the Jews in Nazi Germany.
(b) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Russians under Stalin.
(c) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Burmese under the British Empire.
(d) The Russians under Stalin, and the Italians under Mussolini.
4. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
(a) Using an incorrect word in place of another.
(b) Unnecessary prefixes and suffixes.
(c) Unnecessarily turning a word into a phrase.
(d) Adding unnecessary phrases to a sentence.
5. According to Orwell, what should the relationship be between the murderer and the victim?
(a) Son or daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
2. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
3. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
4. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
5. What kind of person would be Orwell's ideal murder-mystery protagonist?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)