|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(a) Lethal injection.
(c) Firing squad.
2. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They think it is the only way they will win.
(b) They don't always understand the rules.
(c) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
(d) They feel they are being discriminated against.
3. According to Orwell, what is the basis for Burnham's political predictions?
(a) Historical data.
(b) Psychic visions.
(c) Current political trends.
(d) Statistical analysis.
4. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
5. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
(a) They are used intentionally to elevate writing beyond the capability of the ordinary reader.
(b) He feels that they are used to "dress up" concepts that could be expressed in plainer terms.
(c) They are unnecessarily long.
(d) They consolidate, into one word, what should be expressed with a phrase.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
2. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
3. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
4. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
5. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)