|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
(a) His hair, which is turning grey.
(b) His cane.
(c) His arthritic hands.
(d) His spectacles.
2. What is the narrator's profession?
(c) Police officer.
3. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
(b) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(c) The lack of affordable higher education.
(d) The poor quality of public education.
4. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(a) The application of mustard poultices.
(d) Cold baths.
5. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the elephant die?
2. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
3. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
4. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
5. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)