|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) Jumps up and tries to lick the prisoner's face.
(b) Bites the executioner.
(c) Rampages through the crowd of spectators.
(d) Stings the attending guard.
2. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
3. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(b) Because it is his job.
(c) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(d) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
4. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The American Empire.
(b) The British Empire.
(c) The Russian Empire.
(d) The Japanese Empire.
5. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) Swift's use of imagery and symbolism.
(b) The literary devices used by the author.
(c) The changes in Gulliver's character.
(d) The inconsistency of the plot.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
2. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
5. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)