|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the narrator working?
2. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Abstract knowledge.
(b) Knowledge for its own sake.
(c) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
(d) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
3. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He doesn't want to lose face.
(b) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(c) He feels compassion for it.
(d) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
4. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(b) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
(c) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
(d) He argued against freedom of the press.
5. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(b) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(c) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(d) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
2. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
5. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)