|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
2. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(b) Swift identified with Gulliver.
(c) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(d) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
4. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(b) It is impossible to prove.
(c) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(d) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
5. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "Hopital X."
(b) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(c) "The Tomb."
(d) "L'hopital du mort."
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
2. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
3. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
4. What is in the prisoner's cell?
5. How is the Burmese jail described?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)