|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
(a) They are respectful and grateful to him.
(b) They harass and insult him whenever they can.
(c) They are openly violent at times.
(d) They are respectful to his face, but sneer at him behind his back.
2. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(b) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(c) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
3. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
(b) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(c) He was the same as he was in adult life.
(d) He committed small sins.
4. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(b) It was a good thing - in India.
(c) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(d) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
5. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) Jumps up and tries to lick the prisoner's face.
(b) Stings the attending guard.
(c) Rampages through the crowd of spectators.
(d) Bites the executioner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
2. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
3. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
4. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
5. What has the elephant destroyed?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)