|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They want him to die quickly.
(b) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(c) They try to help him escape.
(d) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
2. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
3. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
(a) The Burmese.
(b) The British.
(c) The prisoners.
(d) The police.
4. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(b) He was swayed by false prophets.
(c) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
(d) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
5. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(c) Lethal injection.
(d) Firing squad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
2. What does the narrator call the hospital?
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
5. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)