|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(b) It was domesticated.
(c) It had escaped from the zoo.
(d) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
2. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Small and dank.
(b) Spacious and institutional.
(c) Old and musty.
(d) Wet and unsanitary.
3. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He argued against freedom of the press.
(b) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(c) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
(d) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
4. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
5. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
2. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
3. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
4. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
5. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)