|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(b) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(c) It is impossible to prove.
(d) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
2. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
3. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
(a) He has been reassigned.
(b) He has been imprisoned.
(c) He has gone from being the oppressor, to being the victim.
(d) He has been demoted.
4. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
(a) He converted to Christianity.
(b) He sustained a serious injury, and was paralyzed.
(c) His wife and children all died from influenza.
(d) He moved from England to Spain.
5. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He misunderstands them.
(b) He distorts them.
(c) He misquotes them.
(d) He takes them out of context.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
2. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
3. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
4. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
5. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)