|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
(b) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
(c) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(d) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
2. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He distorts them.
(b) He misquotes them.
(c) He takes them out of context.
(d) He misunderstands them.
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He feels that the books have an important message, but are poorly executed.
(b) He understands, and sympathizes with, Swift's message, but thinks the books are poorly executed.
(c) He likes the books, and has reread them many times.
(d) He is bored by them, and doesn't understand people's fascination with the story.
4. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
(a) He left a remarkably "clean smell" behind.
(b) He didn't focus on the same issues.
(c) He accomplished much more.
(d) He didn't accomplish as much.
5. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
(a) "Gandhi and Stalin".
(b) "King Lear".
(d) "Gulliver's Travels".
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
2. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
3. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
4. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
5. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)