|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(b) Common sense.
(c) Caring more.
(d) Better education.
2. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(b) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
(c) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(d) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "Romeo and Juliet".
(b) "The Misanthrope".
(c) "Dr. Faustus".
(d) "King Lear".
4. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
5. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(c) His children.
(d) Organized religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
2. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
3. How is the Burmese jail described?
4. What is the narrator's profession?
5. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)