|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
(a) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Russians under Stalin.
(b) The Russians under Stalin, and the Italians under Mussolini.
(c) The Kurds under Hussein, and the Jews in Nazi Germany.
(d) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Burmese under the British Empire.
3. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He misunderstands them.
(b) He takes them out of context.
(c) He distorts them.
(d) He misquotes them.
4. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
(a) It is an overused cliché.
(b) It is a dying metaphor.
(c) It makes use of alliteration.
(d) It anthropomorphizes a non-human entity.
5. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) As a mental exercise.
(b) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(c) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
(d) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
2. Where is the narrator working?
3. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
4. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)