|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
2. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
(a) To supply one thing with the attributes of another.
(b) To further the point of the writer.
(c) To call up a visual image.
(d) To explain an association between two things
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(b) Swift identified with Gulliver.
(c) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(d) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
4. How does the elephant die?
(a) It doesn't die, it escapes.
(b) It dies quickly and painlessly.
(c) It kills two people before finally collapsing.
(d) It is shot twice but dies slowly.
5. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
(a) Make the terminally ill patients as comfortable as possible.
(b) Intervene in only the most critical situations.
(c) Travel from one target patient to the next, ignoring the other patients who are suffering.
(d) Triage the patients, starting with the most critically injured.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
2. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
3. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
4. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)