|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
(a) He likes Shakespeare's characters, but not the plots of his plays.
(b) He likes Shakespeare, but realizes that there are flaws in his work.
(c) He loves his work, and has profound respect for him as an artist.
(d) He admires what Shakespeare attempted, but dislikes his works.
2. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
(a) Straightforward communication.
(b) Evoking feeling.
(d) Expanding knowledge.
3. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Caring more.
(b) Common sense.
(c) Better education.
4. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
(a) They can be used, but only when writing for a certain audience.
(b) They should only be used in certain types of literature.
(c) They are unnecessary, and should be replaced with common language.
(d) They should be used whenever possible, to elevate writing.
5. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Criticize and oppose.
(b) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
(c) Express personal opinions.
(d) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
2. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
5. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)