|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
(a) Young adulthood.
(c) Middle age.
(d) Old age.
2. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
(a) "Gulliver's Travels".
(b) "King Lear".
(d) "Gandhi and Stalin".
3. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
(a) He fled before his time was up, and without an official discharge.
(b) Once his condition was stable, he was moved to another facility.
(c) He left fully recovered with a doctor's discharge.
(d) He transferred to another hospital, to be under the care of his own doctor.
4. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
(a) News stories about Gandhi.
(b) Gandhi's autobiography.
(c) The opinion of someone who knew Gandhi personally.
(d) Meeting Gandhi.
5. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
(b) He committed small sins.
(c) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(d) He was the same as he was in adult life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
2. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
3. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
4. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
5. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)