|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
(b) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(c) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(d) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
2. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(b) Swift identified with Gulliver.
(c) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(d) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
3. How does the elephant die?
(a) It kills two people before finally collapsing.
(b) It is shot twice but dies slowly.
(c) It doesn't die, it escapes.
(d) It dies quickly and painlessly.
4. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
(a) Straightforward communication.
(b) Expanding knowledge.
(c) Evoking feeling.
5. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the narrator working?
2. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
3. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
4. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
5. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)