|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
(a) They boil the tools.
(b) They dip the tools in rubbing alcohol.
(c) They don't.
(d) They use an autoclave.
2. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(b) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(c) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(d) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
3. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was a good thing - in India.
(b) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
(c) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(d) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
4. What is the narrator's profession?
(c) Police officer.
5. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He doesn't want to lose face.
(b) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(c) He feels compassion for it.
(d) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
2. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
3. How is the Burmese jail described?
4. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
5. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)