|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He doesn't want to lose face.
(b) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
(c) He feels compassion for it.
(d) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
2. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
(a) It is neither improving nor declining.
(b) It is declining, and the trend is irreversible.
(c) It is in decline, but can be saved.
(d) It is improving.
3. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
(a) They boil the tools.
(b) They use an autoclave.
(c) They dip the tools in rubbing alcohol.
(d) They don't.
4. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(b) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(c) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(d) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
5. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) Close to the location of the corpse.
(b) At the local tavern.
(c) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
(d) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
2. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
3. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
4. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
5. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)