|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Criticize and oppose.
(b) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
(c) Express personal opinions.
(d) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
3. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(a) Lethal injection.
(d) Firing squad.
4. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Knowledge for its own sake.
(b) Abstract knowledge.
(c) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
(d) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
5. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(b) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(c) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(d) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
2. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
3. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
4. How is the Burmese jail described?
5. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)