|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
(a) The opinion of someone who knew Gandhi personally.
(b) News stories about Gandhi.
(c) Meeting Gandhi.
(d) Gandhi's autobiography.
2. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
(a) Swift subscribed to his own form of spirituality.
(b) He was not a religious man.
(c) Swift was a firm believer in the necessity of organized religion.
(d) Swift believed in a higher power, but rejected organized religions.
3. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
(a) He committed small sins.
(b) He was a criminal, and committed many sins.
(c) He didn't care about politics, and was pro-war.
(d) He was the same as he was in adult life.
4. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
5. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(b) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(c) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(d) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
2. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
3. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)