|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two groups does Orwell name as an example of people for whom Satyagraha would be an ineffective political tool?
(a) The Russians under Stalin, and the Italians under Mussolini.
(b) The Kurds under Hussein, and the Jews in Nazi Germany.
(c) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Burmese under the British Empire.
(d) The Jews in Nazi Germany, and the Russians under Stalin.
2. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Old and musty.
(b) Spacious and institutional.
(c) Wet and unsanitary.
(d) Small and dank.
3. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
(a) Laws that protect the populace.
(b) Liberty of thought.
(c) Censorship of expression.
(d) Its opposite - oppression.
4. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
(a) Triage the patients, starting with the most critically injured.
(b) Make the terminally ill patients as comfortable as possible.
(c) Intervene in only the most critical situations.
(d) Travel from one target patient to the next, ignoring the other patients who are suffering.
5. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
(b) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(c) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
(d) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
2. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
3. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
4. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
5. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)