|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
(a) It is neither improving nor declining.
(b) It is declining, and the trend is irreversible.
(c) It is improving.
(d) It is in decline, but can be saved.
2. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(c) Organized religion.
(d) His children.
3. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "The Tomb."
(b) "L'hopital du mort."
(c) "Hopital X."
(d) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
4. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Common sense.
(b) Better education.
(d) Caring more.
5. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
(b) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(c) They want him to die quickly.
(d) They try to help him escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
2. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
3. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
4. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
5. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)