|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
2. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Caring more.
(b) Better education.
(c) Common sense.
3. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
(a) It is in decline, but can be saved.
(b) It is neither improving nor declining.
(c) It is declining, and the trend is irreversible.
(d) It is improving.
4. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
(d) Scarlet fever.
5. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
(a) He was not a religious man.
(b) Swift believed in a higher power, but rejected organized religions.
(c) Swift was a firm believer in the necessity of organized religion.
(d) Swift subscribed to his own form of spirituality.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
2. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
3. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
4. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
5. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)