|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
(a) He has been imprisoned.
(b) He has been demoted.
(c) He has been reassigned.
(d) He has gone from being the oppressor, to being the victim.
2. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) Incapable and unsanitary.
(b) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
(c) Compassionate, but incompetent.
(d) Capable, but uncaring.
3. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(b) It is impossible to prove.
(c) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(d) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
4. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
5. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) A lack of precision.
(b) Inappropriate metaphors.
(c) Poor grammar.
(d) A lack of creativity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of non-violent protest?
2. What does the narrator call the hospital?
3. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
4. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
5. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)