|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Better education.
(b) Common sense.
(c) Caring more.
2. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He misunderstands them.
(b) He takes them out of context.
(c) He distorts them.
(d) He misquotes them.
3. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
(a) Swift was a firm believer in the necessity of organized religion.
(b) Swift believed in a higher power, but rejected organized religions.
(c) Swift subscribed to his own form of spirituality.
(d) He was not a religious man.
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
(a) To inject clear thinking into the process aiding readers in fundamental remedies.
(b) To appeal to writers of grammar books and dictionaries.
(c) To address the issue to teachers of the language.
(d) He does not think there is anything that can be done.
5. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
(a) "King Lear".
(b) "Gulliver's Travels".
(d) "Gandhi and Stalin".
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell describe Gandhi's political solutions?
2. How is the Burmese jail described?
3. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
4. Where did the elephant come from?
5. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)