|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(b) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(c) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(d) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
2. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He misquotes them.
(b) He misunderstands them.
(c) He distorts them.
(d) He takes them out of context.
3. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) Bites the executioner.
(b) Stings the attending guard.
(c) Rampages through the crowd of spectators.
(d) Jumps up and tries to lick the prisoner's face.
4. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(b) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(c) Because it is his job.
(d) Because he wants to collect the reward.
5. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
(a) "Belief in oneself."
(c) "Firmness in truth."
(d) "Strength in silence."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
2. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
3. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
4. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
5. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)