|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
(a) Meeting Gandhi.
(b) News stories about Gandhi.
(c) The opinion of someone who knew Gandhi personally.
(d) Gandhi's autobiography.
2. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) Compassionate, but incompetent.
(b) Incapable and unsanitary.
(c) Capable, but uncaring.
(d) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
3. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(b) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(c) He begs for mercy.
(d) He walks with dignity.
4. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They try to help him escape.
(b) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(c) They want him to die quickly.
(d) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
5. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(b) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(c) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(d) Swift identified with Gulliver.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
2. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
3. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)