|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(b) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(c) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(d) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
2. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) Organized religion.
(c) His children.
3. How many people were killed by the elephant while it was rampaging?
4. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(b) Because it is his job.
(c) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(d) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
5. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
(a) They harass and insult him whenever they can.
(b) They are openly violent at times.
(c) They are respectful and grateful to him.
(d) They are respectful to his face, but sneer at him behind his back.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
2. Where did the elephant come from?
3. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
4. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
5. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)