|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(b) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
(c) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
(d) He was swayed by false prophets.
2. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(b) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(c) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(d) Shakespeare's lack of education.
3. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
4. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
5. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
(a) Swift subscribed to his own form of spirituality.
(b) Swift believed in a higher power, but rejected organized religions.
(c) He was not a religious man.
(d) Swift was a firm believer in the necessity of organized religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
2. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
3. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
4. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)