|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
(b) "Belief in oneself."
(c) "Firmness in truth."
(d) "Strength in silence."
2. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
3. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He distorts them.
(b) He takes them out of context.
(c) He misunderstands them.
(d) He misquotes them.
4. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(b) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(c) Because it is his job.
(d) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
5. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(b) Shakespeare's lack of education.
(c) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(d) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
2. What does the narrator call the hospital?
3. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
4. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
5. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)