|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "Dr. Faustus".
(b) "Romeo and Juliet".
(c) "The Misanthrope".
(d) "King Lear".
2. What is the narrator's profession?
(d) Police officer.
3. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was domesticated.
(b) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(c) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
(d) It had escaped from the zoo.
4. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) Compassionate, but incompetent.
(b) Incapable and unsanitary.
(c) Capable, but uncaring.
(d) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
5. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
(a) His arthritic hands.
(b) His cane.
(c) His spectacles.
(d) His hair, which is turning grey.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
2. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
3. How does the elephant die?
4. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
5. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)