|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
2. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(b) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(c) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(d) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
3. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
(b) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
(c) Abstract knowledge.
(d) Knowledge for its own sake.
4. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
5. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
(c) Scarlet fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
2. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
3. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
4. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
5. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)