|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(b) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(c) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(d) Shakespeare's lack of education.
2. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(b) Because it is his job.
(c) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(d) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
3. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It had escaped from the zoo.
(b) It was domesticated.
(c) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(d) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
4. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
(a) "King Lear".
(c) "Gandhi and Stalin".
(d) "Gulliver's Travels".
5. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
(a) The opinion of someone who knew Gandhi personally.
(b) Gandhi's autobiography.
(c) Meeting Gandhi.
(d) News stories about Gandhi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the elephant die?
2. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
3. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
4. What does the narrator call the hospital?
5. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)