|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
2. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
(a) To inject clear thinking into the process aiding readers in fundamental remedies.
(b) He does not think there is anything that can be done.
(c) To appeal to writers of grammar books and dictionaries.
(d) To address the issue to teachers of the language.
3. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
(a) News stories about Gandhi.
(b) Meeting Gandhi.
(c) Gandhi's autobiography.
(d) The opinion of someone who knew Gandhi personally.
4. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
(b) Capable, but uncaring.
(c) Incapable and unsanitary.
(d) Compassionate, but incompetent.
5. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) Italian scholars.
(b) English noblemen.
(c) German professors.
(d) American writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
2. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
3. How many people were killed by the elephant while it was rampaging?
4. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
5. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)