|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
2. Why is Orwell skeptical of Gandhi's celibacy and vegetarianism?
(a) Because Orwell doesn't think that either practice is necessary for political leverage.
(b) Because Orwell doesn't understand the point of either practice.
(c) Because his reasoning is based on a view that this world is an illusion.
(d) Because Orwell believes that Gandhi is lying about his abstinence from sex and meat.
3. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) Shakespeare's lack of education.
(b) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(c) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(d) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
4. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) German professors.
(b) English noblemen.
(c) American writers.
(d) Italian scholars.
5. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
(a) They don't.
(b) They dip the tools in rubbing alcohol.
(c) They boil the tools.
(d) They use an autoclave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the elephant die?
2. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
3. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
4. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
5. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)