|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He walks with dignity.
(b) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(c) He begs for mercy.
(d) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
2. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) Italian scholars.
(b) American writers.
(c) English noblemen.
(d) German professors.
3. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(b) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(c) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(d) Shakespeare's lack of education.
4. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
5. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(b) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(c) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
2. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
3. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
4. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
5. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)