|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
2. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
3. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
4. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "Romeo and Juliet".
(b) "King Lear".
(c) "The Misanthrope".
(d) "Dr. Faustus".
5. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
(b) He doesn't want to lose face.
(c) He feels compassion for it.
(d) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the elephant come from?
2. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
3. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
4. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
5. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)