|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
2. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Wet and unsanitary.
(b) Small and dank.
(c) Old and musty.
(d) Spacious and institutional.
3. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
(b) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(c) They try to help him escape.
(d) They want him to die quickly.
4. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(b) As a mental exercise.
(c) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
(d) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
5. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
2. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
3. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
4. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
5. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)