|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(b) Swift identified with Gulliver.
(c) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(d) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
2. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He distorts them.
(b) He misunderstands them.
(c) He takes them out of context.
(d) He misquotes them.
3. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
(b) Old age.
(c) Middle age.
(d) Young adulthood.
4. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Wet and unsanitary.
(b) Small and dank.
(c) Spacious and institutional.
(d) Old and musty.
5. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A bedroll.
(c) A cot and toilet.
(d) A plank bed and water pot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call the hospital?
2. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
3. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
4. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
5. What is the narrator's profession?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)