|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(b) Shakespeare's lack of education.
(c) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(d) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
2. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
(b) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
(c) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(d) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
3. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(b) Lethal injection.
(d) Firing squad.
4. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) Swift's use of imagery and symbolism.
(b) The inconsistency of the plot.
(c) The changes in Gulliver's character.
(d) The literary devices used by the author.
5. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A bedroll.
(b) A plank bed and water pot.
(c) A cot and toilet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the narrator working?
2. What has the elephant destroyed?
3. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
4. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
5. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)