|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) An elephant.
(d) A stray cat.
2. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) Compassionate, but incompetent.
(b) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
(c) Capable, but uncaring.
(d) Incapable and unsanitary.
3. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
(a) His arthritic hands.
(b) His cane.
(c) His hair, which is turning grey.
(d) His spectacles.
4. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "King Lear".
(b) "Dr. Faustus".
(c) "The Misanthrope".
(d) "Romeo and Juliet".
5. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(b) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(c) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(d) Swift identified with Gulliver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
2. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
3. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
4. What does the narrator call the hospital?
5. How many people were killed by the elephant while it was rampaging?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)