|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(b) Because it is his job.
(c) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(d) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
2. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(a) Firing squad.
(d) Lethal injection.
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He understands, and sympathizes with, Swift's message, but thinks the books are poorly executed.
(b) He is bored by them, and doesn't understand people's fascination with the story.
(c) He feels that the books have an important message, but are poorly executed.
(d) He likes the books, and has reread them many times.
4. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(c) The application of mustard poultices.
(d) Cold baths.
5. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) His children.
(c) Organized religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
2. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
4. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
5. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)