|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) Close to the location of the corpse.
(b) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
(c) At the local tavern.
(d) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
2. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
(a) Triage the patients, starting with the most critically injured.
(b) Intervene in only the most critical situations.
(c) Make the terminally ill patients as comfortable as possible.
(d) Travel from one target patient to the next, ignoring the other patients who are suffering.
3. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The American Empire.
(b) The British Empire.
(c) The Russian Empire.
(d) The Japanese Empire.
4. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
(b) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(c) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(d) As a mental exercise.
5. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
(b) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
(c) Abstract knowledge.
(d) Knowledge for its own sake.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
2. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
3. How many people were killed by the elephant while it was rampaging?
4. Where is the narrator working?
5. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)