|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
(b) Lethal injection.
(c) Firing squad.
2. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(a) The application of mustard poultices.
(b) Cold baths.
3. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) The literary devices used by the author.
(b) The inconsistency of the plot.
(c) Swift's use of imagery and symbolism.
(d) The changes in Gulliver's character.
4. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(b) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
(c) They want him to die quickly.
(d) They try to help him escape.
5. What is the narrator's profession?
(a) Police officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
2. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
3. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
4. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
5. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)