|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
(a) They are openly violent at times.
(b) They harass and insult him whenever they can.
(c) They are respectful and grateful to him.
(d) They are respectful to his face, but sneer at him behind his back.
2. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
(a) He loves his work, and has profound respect for him as an artist.
(b) He likes Shakespeare's characters, but not the plots of his plays.
(c) He likes Shakespeare, but realizes that there are flaws in his work.
(d) He admires what Shakespeare attempted, but dislikes his works.
3. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
(a) Once his condition was stable, he was moved to another facility.
(b) He left fully recovered with a doctor's discharge.
(c) He fled before his time was up, and without an official discharge.
(d) He transferred to another hospital, to be under the care of his own doctor.
4. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
(a) Swift subscribed to his own form of spirituality.
(b) He was not a religious man.
(c) Swift was a firm believer in the necessity of organized religion.
(d) Swift believed in a higher power, but rejected organized religions.
5. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
2. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
3. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
4. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
5. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)