|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(b) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(c) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(d) It is impossible to prove.
2. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
3. Where is the narrator working?
4. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(b) Go back to work.
5. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) A stray cat.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A stray dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the elephant come from?
2. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
3. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
4. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
5. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)