|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
(a) They are respectful to his face, but sneer at him behind his back.
(b) They are openly violent at times.
(c) They are respectful and grateful to him.
(d) They harass and insult him whenever they can.
2. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The American Empire.
(b) The Japanese Empire.
(c) The British Empire.
(d) The Russian Empire.
3. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A plank bed and water pot.
(b) A cot and toilet.
(c) A bedroll.
4. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
(b) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(c) He feels compassion for it.
(d) He doesn't want to lose face.
5. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(b) They want him to die quickly.
(c) They try to help him escape.
(d) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
2. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
3. Where did the elephant come from?
4. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
5. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)