|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(b) He doesn't want to lose face.
(c) He feels compassion for it.
(d) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
2. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) Close to the location of the corpse.
(b) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
(c) At the local tavern.
(d) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
3. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
(b) It had escaped from the zoo.
(c) It was domesticated.
(d) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
4. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The names of his family members.
(b) Nonsense words.
(c) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(d) The name of the god, Ram.
5. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
(b) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
(c) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(d) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
2. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
3. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
4. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
5. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)