Eight Week Quiz F
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about spring?
(a) He takes great pleasure in it.
(b) He dislikes it.
(c) He finds it intriguing, but it neither pleases nor displeases him.
(d) He observes it disinterestedly.
2. How does Orwell feel about the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) It is good, but declining.
(b) It is poor, but improving.
(c) It is good.
(d) It is poor.
3. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(b) He walks with dignity.
(c) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(d) He begs for mercy.
4. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
(a) They consolidate, into one word, what should be expressed with a phrase.
(b) They are unnecessarily long.
(c) They are used intentionally to elevate writing beyond the capability of the ordinary reader.
(d) He feels that they are used to "dress up" concepts that could be expressed in plainer terms.
5. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(b) Chess pieces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
2. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
3. According to Orwell, what is the basis for Burnham's political predictions?
4. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
5. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)