|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell describe the ideal murderer, in a murder story?
2. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) Those who are in power.
(b) The aristocracy.
(c) Religious figures.
(d) The general public.
3. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A stray cat.
4. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He feels that the books have an important message, but are poorly executed.
(b) He is bored by them, and doesn't understand people's fascination with the story.
(c) He understands, and sympathizes with, Swift's message, but thinks the books are poorly executed.
(d) He likes the books, and has reread them many times.
5. What does Burnham write about Stalin?
(a) He is a necessary and logical continuation from Lenin.
(b) He is brilliant and misunderstood.
(c) He is less than ideal, but still a competent leader.
(d) He is a sham, who must be overthrown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helped to change Orwell's opinions of Gandhi?
2. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
3. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
4. How much does Orwell think the managerial revolution, which Burnham writes about, has influenced the United States?
5. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)