Eight Week Quiz D
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Orwell quote to support his argument against Satyagraha?
(b) "Gulliver's Travels".
(c) "King Lear".
(d) "Gandhi and Stalin".
2. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
(a) Straightforward communication.
(c) Evoking feeling.
(d) Expanding knowledge.
3. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(b) Because it is his job.
(c) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(d) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
4. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
(a) He moved from England to Spain.
(b) His wife and children all died from influenza.
(c) He sustained a serious injury, and was paralyzed.
(d) He converted to Christianity.
5. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
2. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's policy of non-violent protest?
3. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
5. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)