|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
2. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) Inappropriate metaphors.
(b) Poor grammar.
(c) A lack of precision.
(d) A lack of creativity.
3. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(b) He doesn't want to lose face.
(c) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
(d) He feels compassion for it.
4. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
5. According to Orwell, how does Gandhi compare to other politicians of his time?
(a) He didn't focus on the same issues.
(b) He left a remarkably "clean smell" behind.
(c) He didn't accomplish as much.
(d) He accomplished much more.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
2. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
3. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
4. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
5. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)