|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
2. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
(a) They are somewhere in the middle of the pyramid.
(b) They are semi-slaves, who are at the bottom of the pyramid.
(c) They are near the top of the pyramid.
(d) Burnham does not discuss the socialist position of workers, only managers.
3. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
(b) The lack of affordable higher education.
(c) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(d) The poor quality of public education.
4. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
(b) "The Tomb."
(c) "L'hopital du mort."
(d) "Hopital X."
5. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
(a) Poorly thought-out paragraphs.
(b) Stories with poorly fleshed-out characters.
(c) Sentences made of clichéd phrases.
(d) Works written by more than one author.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
2. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
3. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
4. In Chapter 7, Orwell wonders if Gandhi was motivated by what vice?
5. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)