|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) Poor grammar.
(b) Inappropriate metaphors.
(c) A lack of creativity.
(d) A lack of precision.
2. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
(b) Criticize and oppose.
(c) Express personal opinions.
(d) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
3. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
(a) A Cuban cigar.
(b) An expensive seat at the cinema.
(c) A carriage ride.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
4. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(b) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(c) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(d) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
5. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
(a) The 4-H Club.
(b) The Lions Club.
(c) The Rotary Club.
(d) The P.E.N. Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell refer to as the era of great murder mystery literature?
2. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
3. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. Where did the elephant come from?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)