|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Gandhi feel about Satyagraha?
(a) He did not believe in it, but professed it because it attracted a certain kind of person to be his follower.
(b) He believed that people who utilized Satyagraha could accomplish anything.
(c) He did not really believe in it, but professed it because otherwise his followers would resort to drastic measures.
(d) He believed in it, but was aware of its limitations.
2. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Common sense.
(b) Better education.
(d) Caring more.
3. What conclusion does Orwell reach about the prices of the commodities he compares in Chapter 15?
(a) Books are more expensive than food and clothing, and Orwell doesn't understand why.
(b) For the price of a year's worth of alcohol and cigarettes, one could purchase a respectable collection of books.
(c) The only way to afford books is to cut out other luxuries, such as movies and records.
(d) Alcohol is more expensive than food, but well worth it.
4. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
(a) They are semi-slaves, who are at the bottom of the pyramid.
(b) Burnham does not discuss the socialist position of workers, only managers.
(c) They are near the top of the pyramid.
(d) They are somewhere in the middle of the pyramid.
5. Chapter 12 begins with a description of the life cycle of what animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
2. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
3. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
4. Orwell compares the price of a book to the price of what other luxury?
5. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)