|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
2. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
(b) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(c) He doesn't offer an opinion.
(d) He doesn't believe it is possible.
3. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(b) Chess pieces.
4. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
(a) It makes use of alliteration.
(b) It is a dying metaphor.
(c) It is an overused cliché.
(d) It anthropomorphizes a non-human entity.
5. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) It is impossible to prove.
(b) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(c) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(d) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
2. According to Orwell, what was Gandhi's youth like?
3. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
4. What relationship does Orwell establish between social justice and nature?
5. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)