|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
(a) It is a win without honor or meaning.
(b) It's okay, if the cheating team is so far behind that winning one game won't affect the overall outcome.
(c) It's okay, as long as the other team is also cheating.
(d) A win is a win, regardless of how it is earned.
2. According to Orwell, what do newspapers try to do when reporting on sports events?
(a) Cover up the enmity between opposing sides.
(b) Report as accurately as possible.
(c) Make their team look good.
(d) Incite fans.
3. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(b) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(c) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(d) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
4. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(b) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
(c) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(d) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
5. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
(b) At the local tavern.
(c) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
(d) Close to the location of the corpse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
2. How does the animal discussed in Chapter 12 discern the sex of other members of its species?
3. The hibernation period of the animal discussed in Chapter 12 generally draws to a close in time for what?
4. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
5. According to Orwell, what is the reason that people don't read?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)