|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(b) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(c) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(d) Shakespeare's lack of education.
2. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
(a) Compassionate, but incompetent.
(b) Incapable and unsanitary.
(c) Capable, but uncaring.
(d) The hospital had no nurses, only a few overburdened doctors.
3. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
(a) They make them worse.
(b) They have no effect.
(c) They make them better.
(d) They worsen relations between citizens, but improve relations between leaders.
4. What does Orwell cite as a reason for the quality of contemporary murder literature?
(a) Crimes are becoming less memorable.
(b) People aren't interested in reading it.
(c) The government is censoring it too much.
(d) There are currently no good writers.
5. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
(a) He converted to Christianity.
(b) His wife and children all died from influenza.
(c) He sustained a serious injury, and was paralyzed.
(d) He moved from England to Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
2. What method of killing does Orwell prefer for murder mysteries?
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
5. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)