|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the name of Gandhi's political policy, "Satyagraha," mean?
(a) "Belief in oneself."
(b) "Firmness in truth."
(d) "Strength in silence."
2. According to Orwell, what are the feelings between two teams in a sporting event?
3. According to Orwell, what is not a popular subject in his essays?
4. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
(b) He feels compassion for it.
(c) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(d) He doesn't want to lose face.
5. What relationship does Orwell establish between social justice and nature?
(a) Nature can only be truly appreciated by those who are oppressed.
(b) Nature is a blessing that can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of the social injustices they endure.
(c) Only the oppressors are free to truly appreciate the beauty of nature.
(d) There is no relationship between the two.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
2. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
3. What has the elephant destroyed?
4. How is the Burmese jail described?
5. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)