|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Gandhi's involvement in politics?
(a) He feels Gandhi's saintliness may have been sullied by his involvement in politics.
(b) He feels that Gandhi's talents would have been wasted in any other field.
(c) He feels that Gandhi didn't really accomplish much in his political career.
(d) He admires Gandhi's pacifist methods of enacting change.
2. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
(a) It anthropomorphizes a non-human entity.
(b) It is an overused cliché.
(c) It makes use of alliteration.
(d) It is a dying metaphor.
3. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
(a) Burnham does not discuss the socialist position of workers, only managers.
(b) They are near the top of the pyramid.
(c) They are somewhere in the middle of the pyramid.
(d) They are semi-slaves, who are at the bottom of the pyramid.
4. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
(a) The money that has been donated to charity by sports stars.
(b) The killing of a tennis star by a crazed fan.
(c) The riots at the 1936 Olympic Games.
(d) The peace treaty that was signed after the 1922 Olympic Games.
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(b) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(c) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(d) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
2. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
3. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
4. What object is linked to the Vicar of Bray?
5. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)