|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
(a) The world wasn't aware of anything Stalin did until after he died.
(b) The world knew Stalin was crazy, but couldn't do anything to stop him.
(c) The things he did were so outrageous that the rest of the world was inclined to believe his reasons for doing so.
(d) The world believed Stalin because he gave just enough evidence to back up his claims.
2. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
(a) They consolidate, into one word, what should be expressed with a phrase.
(b) They are unnecessarily long.
(c) They are used intentionally to elevate writing beyond the capability of the ordinary reader.
(d) He feels that they are used to "dress up" concepts that could be expressed in plainer terms.
3. How much did it cost to plant the garden Orwell describes in Chapter 13?
(a) Six and sixpence.
(b) Twelve and sixpence.
(c) Three shillings.
(d) Two pounds.
4. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
(a) They were good soldiers, with corrupt leadership.
(b) They were monsters.
(c) They may have been monsters in a different era, but in this one, they were fine.
(d) They were well intended, but misguided.
5. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Criticize and oppose.
(b) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
(c) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
(d) Express personal opinions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
2. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
3. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
4. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
5. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)