|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
(b) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(c) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
(d) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
2. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) Nonsense words.
(b) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(c) The name of the god, Ram.
(d) The names of his family members.
3. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was domesticated.
(b) It had escaped from the zoo.
(c) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
(d) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
4. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) American writers.
(b) Italian scholars.
(c) German professors.
(d) English noblemen.
5. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(c) Organized religion.
(d) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
2. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
3. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
4. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
5. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)