|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(b) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
(c) They try to help him escape.
(d) They want him to die quickly.
2. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
(b) He was swayed by false prophets.
(c) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(d) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
3. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The Russian Empire.
(b) The Japanese Empire.
(c) The British Empire.
(d) The American Empire.
4. What does the narrator call the hospital?
(a) "Hopital X."
(b) "The Tomb."
(c) "L'hopital du mort."
(d) "Nurse Ratchet's wing."
5. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
(b) None of the answers is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
2. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
5. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)