|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
2. In what country is the narrator, in Chapter 3?
3. What sort of bath does the hospital staff give the narrator?
(a) They put him in a lukewarm bath.
(b) They swab his body with warm damp towels.
(c) They put him in five inches of warm water.
(d) They hand him a bucket of cold water and a washcloth for him to bathe with.
4. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(b) It was domesticated.
(c) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
(d) It had escaped from the zoo.
5. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) Shakespeare's lack of education.
(b) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(c) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(d) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
2. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
3. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
4. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
5. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)