|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
2. What is the narrator's profession?
(c) Police officer.
3. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He doesn't want to lose face.
(b) He feels compassion for it.
(c) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(d) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
4. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Old and musty.
(b) Spacious and institutional.
(c) Small and dank.
(d) Wet and unsanitary.
5. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
(b) Old age.
(c) Young adulthood.
(d) Middle age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
2. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
3. How did the narrator leave the hospital?
4. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
5. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)