|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He feels compassion for it.
(b) He doesn't want to lose face.
(c) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(d) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
2. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
3. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He misunderstands them.
(b) He misquotes them.
(c) He takes them out of context.
(d) He distorts them.
4. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He understands, and sympathizes with, Swift's message, but thinks the books are poorly executed.
(b) He feels that the books have an important message, but are poorly executed.
(c) He likes the books, and has reread them many times.
(d) He is bored by them, and doesn't understand people's fascination with the story.
5. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
(a) He moved from England to Spain.
(b) He converted to Christianity.
(c) He sustained a serious injury, and was paralyzed.
(d) His wife and children all died from influenza.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
2. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
3. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
4. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
5. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)