|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
(a) He likes Shakespeare, but realizes that there are flaws in his work.
(b) He admires what Shakespeare attempted, but dislikes his works.
(c) He likes Shakespeare's characters, but not the plots of his plays.
(d) He loves his work, and has profound respect for him as an artist.
2. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(b) It is impossible to prove.
(c) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(d) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
3. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(b) Organized religion.
(d) His children.
4. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(b) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(c) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(d) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
5. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
(a) He doesn't want to lose face.
(b) It is a large and expensive piece of machinery.
(c) He is afraid of the repercussions from the angry crowd.
(d) He feels compassion for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
2. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)