|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
(a) They begin to feel some compassion for him.
(b) They try to help him escape.
(c) They want him to die quickly.
(d) It doesn't seem to have an effect on them.
2. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
3. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
4. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) The changes in Gulliver's character.
(b) The inconsistency of the plot.
(c) Swift's use of imagery and symbolism.
(d) The literary devices used by the author.
5. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(b) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(c) He begs for mercy.
(d) He walks with dignity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Death, at the narrator's hospital, is personified by a patient who finds what activity difficult and painful?
2. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
3. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
4. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
5. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)