|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(b) It is impossible to prove.
(c) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(d) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
2. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(b) Go back to work.
3. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) As a mental exercise.
(b) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(c) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(d) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
4. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(c) The application of mustard poultices.
(d) Cold baths.
5. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because it is his job.
(b) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(c) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(d) Because he wants to collect the reward.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
2. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
3. What change has occurred for the narrator, in Chapter 3?
4. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
5. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)