|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A cot and toilet.
(b) A bedroll.
(d) A plank bed and water pot.
2. In principle, with whom does the narrator side?
(a) The police.
(b) The prisoners.
(c) The Burmese.
(d) The British.
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(b) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(c) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(d) Swift identified with Gulliver.
4. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) As a mental exercise.
(b) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(c) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
(d) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
5. How does the elephant die?
(a) It doesn't die, it escapes.
(b) It kills two people before finally collapsing.
(c) It dies quickly and painlessly.
(d) It is shot twice but dies slowly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does the narrator have, in Chapter 3?
2. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
3. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. Where is the narrator working?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)