|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(b) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(c) He begs for mercy.
(d) He walks with dignity.
2. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
(a) Intervene in only the most critical situations.
(b) Make the terminally ill patients as comfortable as possible.
(c) Travel from one target patient to the next, ignoring the other patients who are suffering.
(d) Triage the patients, starting with the most critically injured.
3. How many people were killed by the elephant while it was rampaging?
4. Why does the narrator eventually shoot the elephant?
(a) Because he doesn't want anyone else to get hurt.
(b) Because he wants to collect the reward.
(c) The angry crowd doesn't really give him a choice.
(d) Because it is his job.
5. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
Short Answer Questions
1. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
2. Where did the elephant come from?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. The narrator is a citizen of what country?
5. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)