|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the elephant die?
(a) It kills two people before finally collapsing.
(b) It dies quickly and painlessly.
(c) It is shot twice but dies slowly.
(d) It doesn't die, it escapes.
2. In this story, Burma is a colony of what empire?
(a) The Japanese Empire.
(b) The Russian Empire.
(c) The American Empire.
(d) The British Empire.
3. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He begs for mercy.
(b) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(c) He walks with dignity.
(d) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
4. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(b) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(c) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
5. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "The Misanthrope".
(b) "Dr. Faustus".
(c) "King Lear".
(d) "Romeo and Juliet".
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the nurses in the hospital described?
2. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
4. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
5. How do the Burmese treat the narrator?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)