|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the elephant come from?
(a) It was wild, and found its way into the town.
(b) It had escaped from the zoo.
(c) It was released in the town by someone who wanted to destroy the bazaar.
(d) It was domesticated.
2. What treatment is described as a spectator sport on the ward?
(a) Cold baths.
(c) The application of mustard poultices.
3. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) Nonsense words.
(b) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(c) The names of his family members.
(d) The name of the god, Ram.
4. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(b) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(c) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
5. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
2. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
3. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
4. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
5. Why does the narrator hesitate to kill the elephant?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)