|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the elephant die?
(a) It doesn't die, it escapes.
(b) It dies quickly and painlessly.
(c) It kills two people before finally collapsing.
(d) It is shot twice but dies slowly.
2. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A stray cat.
3. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
(b) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(c) It is impossible to prove.
(d) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
4. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(a) Go back to work.
5. What has the elephant destroyed?
(a) A cart with vegetables in it.
(b) A bamboo hut, some fruit stalls, and a rubbish van.
(c) A.grove of trees, a hut, and a bicycle.
(d) A newsstand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the hospital staff sterilize their equipment between patients?
2. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
3. What is the narrator's profession?
4. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
5. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)