|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
(b) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(c) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(d) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
2. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
(a) He distorts them.
(b) He misunderstands them.
(c) He takes them out of context.
(d) He misquotes them.
3. What has the elephant destroyed?
(a) A bamboo hut, some fruit stalls, and a rubbish van.
(b) A cart with vegetables in it.
(c) A newsstand.
(d) A.grove of trees, a hut, and a bicycle.
4. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(b) Go back to work.
5. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
(a) He converted to Christianity.
(b) His wife and children all died from influenza.
(c) He moved from England to Spain.
(d) He sustained a serious injury, and was paralyzed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patients in the narrator's hospital are used for what?
2. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
5. What do the doctors in the narrator's hospital do?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)