|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature intervenes as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) A stray dog.
(c) A stray cat.
(d) An elephant.
2. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
3. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(b) He begs for mercy.
(c) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(d) He walks with dignity.
4. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A cot and toilet.
(c) A plank bed and water pot.
(d) A bedroll.
5. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(d) Chess pieces.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
2. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
3. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
4. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
5. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)