|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
(a) Middle age.
(b) Young adulthood.
(d) Old age.
2. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) The lack of affordable higher education.
(b) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(c) The poor quality of public education.
(d) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
3. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
(b) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(c) He was swayed by false prophets.
(d) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
4. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(b) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(c) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
(d) It was a good thing - in India.
5. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) Stings the attending guard.
(b) Rampages through the crowd of spectators.
(c) Bites the executioner.
(d) Jumps up and tries to lick the prisoner's face.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
2. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
3. What is in the prisoner's cell?
4. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
5. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)