|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
(a) Both are based on an idea that sounds much better until it is put into practice.
(b) Both appoint a leader without the input of the followers.
(c) Both provide harsh punishments for dissenters.
(d) Both refuse to acknowledge the honesty and intellectual capability of their opponents.
2. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
3. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
(b) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
(c) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(d) He was swayed by false prophets.
4. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They feel they are being discriminated against.
(b) They think it is the only way they will win.
(c) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
(d) They don't always understand the rules.
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(b) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(c) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(d) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
2. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
3. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
4. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
5. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)