|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the magistrates and police do after the prisoner's death?
(a) Go back to work.
2. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
(a) It is a win without honor or meaning.
(b) It's okay, as long as the other team is also cheating.
(c) A win is a win, regardless of how it is earned.
(d) It's okay, if the cheating team is so far behind that winning one game won't affect the overall outcome.
3. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
(a) They make them worse.
(b) They worsen relations between citizens, but improve relations between leaders.
(c) They have no effect.
(d) They make them better.
4. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
(a) Both refuse to acknowledge the honesty and intellectual capability of their opponents.
(b) Both appoint a leader without the input of the followers.
(c) Both are based on an idea that sounds much better until it is put into practice.
(d) Both provide harsh punishments for dissenters.
5. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
2. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
3. What term does Orwell use to describe modern sports?
4. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
5. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)