|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
(b) It was a good thing - in India.
(c) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(d) It was desirable, but not necessary.
2. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
(a) They make them better.
(b) They have no effect.
(c) They worsen relations between citizens, but improve relations between leaders.
(d) They make them worse.
3. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
(a) Tolstoy was prejudiced against the English.
(b) It is impossible to prove.
(c) Orwell doesn't think highly of Tolstoy's writings.
(d) Tolstoy wasn't educated enough to write well-informed criticisms.
4. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
(a) Stories with poorly fleshed-out characters.
(b) Sentences made of clichéd phrases.
(c) Works written by more than one author.
(d) Poorly thought-out paragraphs.
5. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
(b) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
(c) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(d) He argued against freedom of the press.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the prisoner going to be executed?
2. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
3. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
4. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
5. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)