|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He never converted; it was a rumor.
(b) He was swayed by false prophets.
(c) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
(d) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
2. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
3. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
(a) Both provide harsh punishments for dissenters.
(b) Both appoint a leader without the input of the followers.
(c) Both are based on an idea that sounds much better until it is put into practice.
(d) Both refuse to acknowledge the honesty and intellectual capability of their opponents.
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
(a) He does not think there is anything that can be done.
(b) To address the issue to teachers of the language.
(c) To inject clear thinking into the process aiding readers in fundamental remedies.
(d) To appeal to writers of grammar books and dictionaries.
5. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He walks with dignity.
(b) He begs for mercy.
(c) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
(d) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
2. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
3. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
4. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
5. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)