|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(b) A cot and toilet.
(c) A bedroll.
(d) A plank bed and water pot.
2. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(b) Chess pieces.
3. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(b) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(c) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
(d) Shakespeare's lack of education.
4. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(b) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(c) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(d) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
5. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) Bites the executioner.
(b) Jumps up and tries to lick the prisoner's face.
(c) Rampages through the crowd of spectators.
(d) Stings the attending guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
2. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
3. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
4. Tolstoy wrote a biting criticism of what playwright's work?
5. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)