|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(b) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(c) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(d) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
2. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
(a) Both are based on an idea that sounds much better until it is put into practice.
(b) Both refuse to acknowledge the honesty and intellectual capability of their opponents.
(c) Both provide harsh punishments for dissenters.
(d) Both appoint a leader without the input of the followers.
3. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Better education.
(b) Caring more.
(d) Common sense.
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The names of his family members.
(b) Nonsense words.
(c) The name of the god, Ram.
(d) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
2. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
3. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
4. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
5. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)