|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
(a) English noblemen.
(b) American writers.
(c) Italian scholars.
(d) German professors.
2. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) A lack of precision.
(b) Inappropriate metaphors.
(c) Poor grammar.
(d) A lack of creativity.
3. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
(a) They are unnecessarily long.
(b) He feels that they are used to "dress up" concepts that could be expressed in plainer terms.
(c) They consolidate, into one word, what should be expressed with a phrase.
(d) They are used intentionally to elevate writing beyond the capability of the ordinary reader.
4. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
5. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
(a) Both are based on an idea that sounds much better until it is put into practice.
(b) Both provide harsh punishments for dissenters.
(c) Both refuse to acknowledge the honesty and intellectual capability of their opponents.
(d) Both appoint a leader without the input of the followers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orwell worries that liberty cannot exist without what?
2. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
3. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
4. What is in the prisoner's cell?
5. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)