|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
2. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
3. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
(b) The players' personal pride.
(c) Monetary concerns.
(d) Nationalist spirit.
4. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
(a) Shakespeare's status as a poet.
(b) Shakespeare's lack of education.
(c) The fact that Shakespeare deliberately incorporated flaws into his work.
(d) The social commentary in Shakespeare's works.
5. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
2. What does Orwell say is the sole purpose of a metaphor?
3. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
4. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
5. According to Orwell, how do international sporting events affect relations between countries?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)