|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(b) A cot and toilet.
(c) A plank bed and water pot.
(d) A bedroll.
2. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
(b) The lack of affordable higher education.
(c) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
(d) The poor quality of public education.
3. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He walks with dignity.
(b) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(c) He begs for mercy.
(d) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
4. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(b) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(c) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
(d) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
5. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) A lack of creativity.
(b) A lack of precision.
(c) Inappropriate metaphors.
(d) Poor grammar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
2. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
3. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
4. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
5. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)