|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
(b) He doesn't offer an opinion.
(c) He doesn't believe it is possible.
(d) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
2. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
(a) They are used intentionally to elevate writing beyond the capability of the ordinary reader.
(b) They consolidate, into one word, what should be expressed with a phrase.
(c) He feels that they are used to "dress up" concepts that could be expressed in plainer terms.
(d) They are unnecessarily long.
3. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
(b) Close to the location of the corpse.
(c) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
(d) At the local tavern.
4. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) A lack of creativity.
(b) Inappropriate metaphors.
(c) A lack of precision.
(d) Poor grammar.
5. What relationship does Orwell establish between freedom for political writers, and non-political ones?
(a) Freedom for political writers does not affect freedom for non-political ones.
(b) The two freedoms go hand in hand.
(c) Freedom for non-political writers does not affect freedom for political ones.
(d) Orwell doesn't establish a relationship between the two.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the crowd's reaction to the prisoner's chant?
2. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
3. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
4. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
5. How does Orwell feel about winning by cheating?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)