|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
(a) It makes use of alliteration.
(b) It anthropomorphizes a non-human entity.
(c) It is an overused cliché.
(d) It is a dying metaphor.
2. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
3. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
(a) They don't always understand the rules.
(b) They feel they are being discriminated against.
(c) They think it is the only way they will win.
(d) They are afraid of losing their contracts.
4. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) Inappropriate metaphors.
(b) A lack of precision.
(c) Poor grammar.
(d) A lack of creativity.
5. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The name of the god, Ram.
(b) The names of his family members.
(c) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(d) Nonsense words.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
4. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
5. How is the Burmese jail described?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)