|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
2. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Small and dank.
(b) Spacious and institutional.
(c) Old and musty.
(d) Wet and unsanitary.
3. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "The Misanthrope".
(b) "Dr. Faustus".
(c) "King Lear".
(d) "Romeo and Juliet".
4. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
(a) It makes use of alliteration.
(b) It is a dying metaphor.
(c) It is an overused cliché.
(d) It anthropomorphizes a non-human entity.
5. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
2. Of what religion is the prisoner in Chapter 2?
3. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
4. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
5. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)