|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He doesn't believe it is possible.
(b) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
(c) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(d) He doesn't offer an opinion.
2. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
(a) They can be used, but only when writing for a certain audience.
(b) They should only be used in certain types of literature.
(c) They should be used whenever possible, to elevate writing.
(d) They are unnecessary, and should be replaced with common language.
3. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
(a) He only exchanged one form of egotism for another.
(b) He did it to better his reputation, not because his belief was sincere.
(c) He was swayed by false prophets.
(d) He never converted; it was a rumor.
4. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It was a good thing - in India.
(b) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
(c) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(d) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
5. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
(b) Express personal opinions.
(c) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
(d) Criticize and oppose.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
2. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
3. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
4. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
5. According to Orwell, what ideal is at stake in international sports competitions?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)