|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(b) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
(c) He argued against freedom of the press.
(d) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
2. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A bedroll.
(b) A plank bed and water pot.
(c) A cot and toilet.
3. To Orwell, freedom of the press means the liberty to do what?
(a) Report anything, whether it is true or not.
(b) Put a spin on the story, as long as the facts are correct.
(c) Criticize and oppose.
(d) Express personal opinions.
4. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
(a) Evoking feeling.
(b) Expanding knowledge.
(c) Straightforward communication.
5. The third speaker, in Chapter 8, attacked what?
(a) The government's choice to regulate news media.
(b) The unnecessarily severe punishments for violating censorship laws.
(c) Laws that challenged obscenity in literary products.
(d) The inability of the government to police all media successfully.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
2. According to Orwell, why might athletes try to cheat?
3. Orwell feels that it is possible to play sports, for fun and recreation, in the absence of what?
4. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
5. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)