|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The names of his family members.
(b) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(c) The name of the god, Ram.
(d) Nonsense words.
2. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
(b) Middle age.
(c) Old age.
(d) Young adulthood.
3. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
(a) The poor quality of public education.
(b) The lack of affordable higher education.
(c) The corporate sponsorship of writers.
(d) A loss of interest in literature among young adults.
4. According to Orwell, what do newspapers try to do when reporting on sports events?
(a) Incite fans.
(b) Cover up the enmity between opposing sides.
(c) Make their team look good.
(d) Report as accurately as possible.
5. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Small and dank.
(b) Spacious and institutional.
(c) Old and musty.
(d) Wet and unsanitary.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
2. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
3. What does Orwell say about Tolstoy's conversion?
4. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
5. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)