|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fourth speaker, in Chapter 8, defended the purges in what country?
2. What is Orwell's problem with phrases like "swan song"?
(a) It makes use of alliteration.
(b) It is an overused cliché.
(c) It anthropomorphizes a non-human entity.
(d) It is a dying metaphor.
3. What does the prisoner begin to chant as he walks?
(a) The name of the god, Ram.
(b) The names of his family members.
(c) A Hindu prayer for salvation.
(d) Nonsense words.
4. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
(a) He felt liberty was a good thing, but spoke in a very general way.
(b) He argued that freedom of the press and freedom of speech are not necessarily the same.
(c) He argued that liberty was a good thing, in very specific circumstances.
(d) He argued against freedom of the press.
5. How do the police and magistrates feel after the prisoner's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of sporting events does Orwell support?
2. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
3. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
4. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
5. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)