|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what word best describes Tolstoy's criticisms?
2. According to Orwell, what do newspapers try to do when reporting on sports events?
(a) Report as accurately as possible.
(b) Make their team look good.
(c) Cover up the enmity between opposing sides.
(d) Incite fans.
3. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A cot and toilet.
(c) A bedroll.
(d) A plank bed and water pot.
4. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(d) Chess pieces.
5. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
(a) Works written by more than one author.
(b) Sentences made of clichéd phrases.
(c) Poorly thought-out paragraphs.
(d) Stories with poorly fleshed-out characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
2. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
3. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
4. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
5. What does Orwell mean by the phrase "verbal false limbs"?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)