|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
2. In what stage of Tolstoy's life did this major change occur?
(a) Young adulthood.
(b) Old age.
(c) Middle age.
3. How does Orwell feel about people bonding through sports?
(a) He doesn't believe it is possible.
(b) He thinks there are better ways to bond.
(c) He thinks it is the best way to bond.
(d) He doesn't offer an opinion.
4. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(d) Chess pieces.
5. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(b) Caring more.
(c) Common sense.
(d) Better education.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
2. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
3. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
4. According to Tolstoy, Shakespeare's great reputation was propagated by whom?
5. Why does Orwell dismiss Tolstoy's criticism?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)