|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(b) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(c) It was a good thing - in India.
(d) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
2. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
(a) "King Lear".
(b) "Romeo and Juliet".
(c) "The Misanthrope".
(d) "Dr. Faustus".
3. What does the creature do as the prisoner is being led to his execution?
(a) Rampages through the crowd of spectators.
(b) Stings the attending guard.
(c) Jumps up and tries to lick the prisoner's face.
(d) Bites the executioner.
4. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
(a) He likes Shakespeare, but realizes that there are flaws in his work.
(b) He admires what Shakespeare attempted, but dislikes his works.
(c) He likes Shakespeare's characters, but not the plots of his plays.
(d) He loves his work, and has profound respect for him as an artist.
5. What does Orwell feel can help to reverse the downward trend of the English language?
(a) Better education.
(c) Caring more.
(d) Common sense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell compare to a "pre-fabricate hen-house"?
2. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
3. Orwell begins Chapter 8 with a meeting of what club?
4. How is the Burmese jail described?
5. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)