|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, what are the feelings between two teams in a sporting event?
2. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A cot and toilet.
(b) A plank bed and water pot.
(d) A bedroll.
3. How is the Burmese jail described?
(a) Small and dank.
(b) Old and musty.
(c) Spacious and institutional.
(d) Wet and unsanitary.
4. According to Orwell, what flaw is apparent in all of the examples of "bad English" that he presents in Chapter 6?
(a) A lack of precision.
(b) Inappropriate metaphors.
(c) A lack of creativity.
(d) Poor grammar.
5. How does Orwell feel about the English language?
(a) It is improving.
(b) It is in decline, but can be saved.
(c) It is neither improving nor declining.
(d) It is declining, and the trend is irreversible.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, what is the primary purpose of language?
2. What crucial element of Shakespeare's works does Tolstoy fail to recognize, according to Orwell?
3. According to Orwell, what political structure fosters great literature?
4. What major change occurred in Tolstoy's life?
5. Tolstoy accuses the playwright he is criticizing of having a philosophy similar to whom?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)