|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the magistrates and police convene after the prisoner's death?
(a) Close to the location of the corpse.
(b) They don't convene, they all go to their own homes.
(c) At the local tavern.
(d) On the side of town opposite the gallows.
2. What does Orwell compare athletes to?
(c) Chess pieces.
3. What is in the prisoner's cell?
(a) A plank bed and water pot.
(c) A cot and toilet.
(d) A bedroll.
4. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
5. What is the point of Orwell's essay on the English language?
(a) To educate people on how they can help stop the decline of the language.
(b) To entertain the reader, but not to impart any useful information.
(c) To make a mockery of other writers who use the techniques he complains about.
(d) To express his feelings about the topic, though no one is likely to take his advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's opinion, what does Tolstoy do to the scenes he is presenting?
2. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
3. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
4. How does Orwell propose to aid the English language?
5. Which play did Tolstoy criticize most harshly?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)