Two Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does Orwell cite as evidence for his argument about sports?
(a) The killing of a tennis star by a crazed fan.
(b) The riots at the 1936 Olympic Games.
(c) The money that has been donated to charity by sports stars.
(d) The peace treaty that was signed after the 1922 Olympic Games.
2. What similarity does Orwell find between the Catholic and Communist ideologies?
(a) Both appoint a leader without the input of the followers.
(b) Both provide harsh punishments for dissenters.
(c) Both are based on an idea that sounds much better until it is put into practice.
(d) Both refuse to acknowledge the honesty and intellectual capability of their opponents.
3. How is the prisoner behaving, as he is marching to his death?
(a) He walks with dignity.
(b) He begs for mercy.
(c) He tries to attack his guards and escape.
(d) He quietly attempts to bribe the guard.
4. How does Orwell feel about Shakespeare?
(a) He loves his work, and has profound respect for him as an artist.
(b) He likes Shakespeare, but realizes that there are flaws in his work.
(c) He likes Shakespeare's characters, but not the plots of his plays.
(d) He admires what Shakespeare attempted, but dislikes his works.
5. How did the first speaker, in Chapter 8, feel about freedom of the press?
(a) It would lead to the corruption, and ultimate demise, of the government.
(b) It was desirable, but not necessary.
(c) It was a good thing - in India.
(d) It was desirable, but the government had a right to censor its citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orwell dislike words such as "constitute" and "phenomenon"?
2. According to Orwell, literature is in danger from censorship, and what else?
3. What is the name of John Milton's pamphlet that Orwell mentions in Chapter 8?
4. What was the substance of the second speaker's argument, in Chapter 8?
5. How does Orwell feel about scientific words and foreign phrases?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)