|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
(a) They are somewhere in the middle of the pyramid.
(b) They are semi-slaves, who are at the bottom of the pyramid.
(c) Burnham does not discuss the socialist position of workers, only managers.
(d) They are near the top of the pyramid.
2. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(b) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
(c) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(d) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
3. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
4. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
5. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(b) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(c) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(d) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
2. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
3. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
4. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
5. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)