|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) Swift's use of imagery and symbolism.
(b) The literary devices used by the author.
(c) The inconsistency of the plot.
(d) The changes in Gulliver's character.
2. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) Religious figures.
(c) Those who are in power.
(d) The general public.
3. According to Orwell, what were Smith's religious beliefs?
(a) Swift believed in a higher power, but rejected organized religions.
(b) Swift subscribed to his own form of spirituality.
(c) Swift was a firm believer in the necessity of organized religion.
(d) He was not a religious man.
4. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it is alive and well.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
(c) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(d) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
5. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
2. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
3. How much does Orwell think the managerial revolution, which Burnham writes about, has influenced the United States?
4. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
5. According to Orwell, what is the basis for Burnham's political predictions?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)