|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
2. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
(b) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
(c) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(d) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
3. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
(a) He is afraid of offending the works' authors.
(b) He keeps getting interrupted.
(c) The works he is reviewing are boring.
(d) He is too busy to write them.
4. According to Burnham, what is the most important factor for class mobility, in the society he envisions?
5. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
(a) Knowledge used only for practical purposes.
(b) Knowledge supported by insufficient evidence.
(c) Knowledge for its own sake.
(d) Abstract knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
2. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
3. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
4. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
5. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)