|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
(a) The works he is reviewing are boring.
(b) He is afraid of offending the works' authors.
(c) He is too busy to write them.
(d) He keeps getting interrupted.
2. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
3. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
(b) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(c) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
(d) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
4. According to Orwell, what is the basis for Burnham's political predictions?
(a) Current political trends.
(b) Psychic visions.
(c) Historical data.
(d) Statistical analysis.
5. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The general public.
(c) Religious figures.
(d) Those who are in power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
2. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
3. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
4. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
5. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)