|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) Swift's use of imagery and symbolism.
(b) The literary devices used by the author.
(c) The changes in Gulliver's character.
(d) The inconsistency of the plot.
2. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
(a) He has good intentions, but is misguided.
(b) His prophecies are based on good evidence, but they are misinterpreted.
(c) He is cowardly, and mentally imbalanced.
(d) He is a con artist.
3. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
(a) Swift wanted a clear demarcation between each part of the story.
(b) Gulliver represented four different people that Swift knew.
(c) Gulliver had multiple personality disorder.
(d) Swift identified with Gulliver.
4. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
5. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(c) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(d) That it is alive and well.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
2. How many reviews does the person in Chapter 14 write per year?
3. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
4. Burnham predicted that what nation would be victorious in World War II?
5. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)