|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Burnham was influenced by what political writer?
(c) Immanuel Kant.
(d) Thomas Aquinas.
2. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
(a) To wield power over those who aren't educated.
(b) As a mental exercise.
(c) To prove that some religious beliefs are absurd.
(d) For practical applications, like technology, that improve the welfare of all.
3. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
(a) That it will only survive if it changes to accommodate social classes.
(b) That it is dying, and will be replaced with communism.
(c) That it is dying, and will be replaced with a socialist pyramid.
(d) That it is alive and well.
4. Why is the reviewer having such difficulty writing his reviews?
(a) He is afraid of offending the works' authors.
(b) He is too busy to write them.
(c) The works he is reviewing are boring.
(d) He keeps getting interrupted.
5. How does Orwell feel about Burnham, and his methods of prophesying?
(a) He is cowardly, and mentally imbalanced.
(b) He has good intentions, but is misguided.
(c) He is a con artist.
(d) His prophecies are based on good evidence, but they are misinterpreted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
2. What does Burnham write about Stalin?
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
4. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
5. What aspect of "Gulliver's Travels" does Orwell discuss in Chapter 5?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)