|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
(b) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(c) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(d) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
2. How much does Orwell think the managerial revolution, which Burnham writes about, has influenced the United States?
(a) A lot.
(b) Not at all.
(c) Very little.
3. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
(a) Only the good works would be reviewed, so that people could seek them out.
(b) Good works would get long, detailed reviews; poor ones would get only a few lines.
(c) Only the poor works would be reviewed, so that people could avoid them.
(d) All works would receive equal treatment.
4. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
5. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
2. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
3. According to Burnham, what place do workers occupy in the new socialist structure?
4. What is Orwell's reasoning for the shifts in Gulliver's character?
5. Gulliver disapproves of what sort of knowledge, according to Orwell?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)