|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burnham write about the atrocities Stalin committed?
(a) The world wasn't aware of anything Stalin did until after he died.
(b) The things he did were so outrageous that the rest of the world was inclined to believe his reasons for doing so.
(c) The world believed Stalin because he gave just enough evidence to back up his claims.
(d) The world knew Stalin was crazy, but couldn't do anything to stop him.
2. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
3. Burnham was influenced by what political writer?
(a) Immanuel Kant.
(c) Thomas Aquinas.
4. According to Burnham, who governs the manners and morals of a given era?
(a) Those who are in power.
(b) The aristocracy.
(c) Religious figures.
(d) The general public.
5. According to Orwell, how does Gulliver change from part two to part three of "Gulliver's Travels"?
(a) He decides to make the most of the time he has, rather than sulking about getting old.
(b) He resigns himself to the aging process, and makes peace with the idea of being old.
(c) He appears to have a higher social standing, as evidenced by consorting with educated men of political standing.
(d) He develops an appreciation for his home and family, which he previously lacked.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
2. Orwell feels that Swift, through "Gulliver's Travels", is attacking what sort of government structure?
3. How does Gulliver believe science should be used?
4. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
5. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)