|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Orwell's ideal world, how would the quality of each work be reflected in its reviews?
(a) Good works would get long, detailed reviews; poor ones would get only a few lines.
(b) Only the good works would be reviewed, so that people could seek them out.
(c) Only the poor works would be reviewed, so that people could avoid them.
(d) All works would receive equal treatment.
2. What does Burnham say about the Nazis?
(a) They may have been monsters in a different era, but in this one, they were fine.
(b) They were good soldiers, with corrupt leadership.
(c) They were well intended, but misguided.
(d) They were monsters.
3. The subject of Chapter 14 reviews what?
4. According to Orwell, how would reviews be handled in an ideal world?
(a) More people would write reviews, so that each reviewer wouldn't have to do as much work.
(b) The number of works being reviewed would be greatly restricted.
(c) There wouldn't be any reviews.
(d) Ordinary people would write reviews and share them with one another.
5. According to Orwell, how did Swift offend Queen Anne?
(a) By writing a pamphlet that criticized dissenters from the church.
(b) By criticizing a law passed by Parliament.
(c) By greeting her inappropriately when he met her.
(d) By writing a satirical piece that made fun of the English government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbol of Gulliver's aging?
2. According to Gulliver, scientists should not concern themselves with what area of thought?
3. Overall, how does Orwell feel about "Gulliver's Travels"?
4. In "The Managerial Revolution", what does Burnham say about capitalism?
5. What is the subject of Gulliver's ranting in the second book of "Gulliver's Travels"?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)