|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
2. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
3. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
4. What demand does Toranaga make of his son to prove his fidelity?
5. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
2. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
3. What is the unusual request Buntaro makes of Blackthorne.
4. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
5. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
6. What unusual battle plan does Toranaga come up with to use against Ishido?
7. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
8. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
9. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
10. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Treachery. With Yabu as your subject, point out the ways in which Yabu attempts to realize his own ambitions for power. Mention his order to kill Yaemon if he is met on the battlefield, his delight at being honored by Toranaga, his attempt to take the riches and guns from the Erasmus, and finally, his treasonous behavior that results in Mariko's death.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Earthquakes and Japanese Houses in Shōgun. Describe the destruction of Blackthorne's house in the earthquake as well as the houses of other people in the area. Mention the wooden construction with paper walls and why this type of construction makes sense in a place constantly threatened by earthquakes. Discuss the advantage wood construction has over mortar construction in an earthquake.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Cultural Differences and Cuisine. Point one in your essay should be the revulsion the Japanese have toward Blackthorne's skinning and cooking of the rabbit. Discuss how Buddhism and custom play a part in that revulsion. Point two should center on Blackthorne's imaginary letter back home about the food in Japan. Point three should center on Blackthorne's adaptation to the Japanese cuisine, including eating raw fish.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)