|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
2. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
3. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
4. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
5. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
2. Describe Blackthorne's introduction to Kiku.
3. What event breaks up the birthday party for Ochiba?
4. What is the unusual request Buntaro makes of Blackthorne.
5. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
6. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
7. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
8. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
9. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
10. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Assimilating Another Culture. Using Blackthorne as your example, note the ways in which Blackthorne changes as he comes under the influence of Mariko. Discuss his changing attitudes toward cleanliness, food, and seppuku that help him eventually to become accepted by the Japanese.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Loyalty in SHÅŒGUN. Using Mariko as your example, show how the code of the samurai is complete loyalty to a Lord. When a mission fails or the samurai is prevented from doing his or her work, the honorable way out is seppuku. Conclude with the extent you think loyalty is important in your life today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Irony of Omi and Yabu. Begin with Omi's wanting to kill his uncle at the very beginning of the novel. Detail how Omi carries out Yabu's orders even though he despises him. Next point should be that it is Omi who brings the samurai to Toranaga whose testimony brings Yabu down. Conclude with the irony of Yabu naming Omi as his heir and selecting him to be his second at his seppuku.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)