|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
2. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
3. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
4. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
5. What course of action does Yabu recommend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
2. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
3. What proposal of Blackthorne's meets with opposition from Toranaga?
4. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
5. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
6. What is the problem between Toranaga and his half-brother Zataki?
7. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
8. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
9. What is the request Blackthorne makes of Toranaga regarding Mariko?
10. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Differences in Sexual Mores in Different Cultures. In your essay include the frank discussion of sex between Blackthorne, Kiku, and Mariko as opposed to conversational taboos in the West. Point two should discuss marital fidelity as when Mariko sleeps with Blackthorne though she is married to Buntaro. Conclude with comments about how the Japanese have fewer hangups over matters involving sex and nudity.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Irony of Omi and Yabu. Begin with Omi's wanting to kill his uncle at the very beginning of the novel. Detail how Omi carries out Yabu's orders even though he despises him. Next point should be that it is Omi who brings the samurai to Toranaga whose testimony brings Yabu down. Conclude with the irony of Yabu naming Omi as his heir and selecting him to be his second at his seppuku.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Feudalism in Shōgun. Your points should include the use of peasants as slave labor, the exorbitant taxes placed on them, and the fear the ruling class has at the idea of peasants having access to guns.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)