|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the trip on the galley, how does the weather change?
2. Who arrives and almost puts an end to the ruse Toranaga uses for his getaway?
3. How is the Englishman killed?
4. What does Blackthorne suspect about the daimyo, Kasigi Yabu, Lord of Izu?
5. Why does Toranaga not take the galley for his escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yabu personally scale the cliffs to rescue Rodrigues?
2. How is tension presented in Toranaga's character after meeting Ishido?
3. How is the conflict between Toranaga and Ishido presented as Ishido is introduced into the novel?
4. What is the first indication of Yabu's ambition as Hiro-matsu arrives to see the Erasmus?
5. What are Blackthorne's questions Toranaga tells Mariko not to answer?
6. After escaping the harbor, when Blackthorne awakes from his exhausted sleep, what does he find Toranaga doing?
7. What sets up the conflict between Blackthorne and Omi that lasts for the remainder of the novel?
8. Where are Blackthorne and his crew held prisoners?
9. How is one of the crew brutally tortured to death?
10. What is the political function of Yodoko in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Earthquakes and Japanese Houses in Shōgun. Describe the destruction of Blackthorne's house in the earthquake as well as the houses of other people in the area. Mention the wooden construction with paper walls and why this type of construction makes sense in a place constantly threatened by earthquakes. Discuss the advantage wood construction has over mortar construction in an earthquake.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Loyalty in SHÅŒGUN. Using Mariko as your example, show how the code of the samurai is complete loyalty to a Lord. When a mission fails or the samurai is prevented from doing his or her work, the honorable way out is seppuku. Conclude with the extent you think loyalty is important in your life today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Comparison of Samurai Brutality and Inquisition Torture. Your essay should include examples of torture methods used by both. Next, make a case for the inappropriate moral judgment of samurai use of torture and cruelty by Westerners. Conclude with your opinion about torture and human rights in general.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)