|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Suwa know plans to kill Yabu one day?
2. Why does Toranaga worry about Blackthorne?
3. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
4. What is Rodrigues carrying for Father Sebastio?
5. How does Yabu cover his attempt to get the ship's treasure and weaponry for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Blackthorne to attack Father Sabastio and desecrate his wooden cross?
2. Why does Buntaro prepare to commit seppuku at the end of a jetty?
3. How is tension presented in Toranaga's character after meeting Ishido?
4. How does Omi persuade Blackthorne to come out of the pit?
5. Describe the change in Toranaga's orders related to Blackthorne after he is removed from prison.
6. Why does Blackthorne want to get on board the Erasmus?
7. What are Blackthorne's questions Toranaga tells Mariko not to answer?
8. After escaping the harbor, when Blackthorne awakes from his exhausted sleep, what does he find Toranaga doing?
9. What does Rodrigues tell Blackthorne about the Japanese rowers on board the galley?
10. Why is Rodrigues swept overboard on the galley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Treachery. With Yabu as your subject, point out the ways in which Yabu attempts to realize his own ambitions for power. Mention his order to kill Yaemon if he is met on the battlefield, his delight at being honored by Toranaga, his attempt to take the riches and guns from the Erasmus, and finally, his treasonous behavior that results in Mariko's death.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Feudalism in Shōgun. Your points should include the use of peasants as slave labor, the exorbitant taxes placed on them, and the fear the ruling class has at the idea of peasants having access to guns.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Loyalty in SHÅŒGUN. Using Mariko as your example, show how the code of the samurai is complete loyalty to a Lord. When a mission fails or the samurai is prevented from doing his or her work, the honorable way out is seppuku. Conclude with the extent you think loyalty is important in your life today.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)