|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rodrigues go aboard the Erasmus?
2. What praise does Rodrigues give the Japanese sailors?
3. What is the subject matter of the Prologue?
4. What does Domingo teach Blackthorne?
5. What does Blackthorne do when he realizes he is not going to be executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodrigues tell Blackthorne about the Japanese rowers on board the galley?
2. What does Blackthorne tell Toranaga at their first meeting that puzzled him?
3. Why does Blackthorne want to get on board the Erasmus?
4. How close does Blackthorne come to being executed in Yedo after visiting Toranaga?
5. How does John Blackthorne arrive in Japan?
6. What prompts Blackthorne to attack Father Sabastio and desecrate his wooden cross?
7. Where are Blackthorne and his crew held prisoners?
8. Describe the change in Toranaga's orders related to Blackthorne after he is removed from prison.
9. What is the first indication of Yabu's ambition as Hiro-matsu arrives to see the Erasmus?
10. What are Blackthorne's questions Toranaga tells Mariko not to answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Loyalty in SHÅŒGUN. Using Mariko as your example, show how the code of the samurai is complete loyalty to a Lord. When a mission fails or the samurai is prevented from doing his or her work, the honorable way out is seppuku. Conclude with the extent you think loyalty is important in your life today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Irony of Omi and Yabu. Begin with Omi's wanting to kill his uncle at the very beginning of the novel. Detail how Omi carries out Yabu's orders even though he despises him. Next point should be that it is Omi who brings the samurai to Toranaga whose testimony brings Yabu down. Conclude with the irony of Yabu naming Omi as his heir and selecting him to be his second at his seppuku.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Imagine the Worst and Hope for the Best. Using Blackthorne as your example, make your points around Blackthorne's thinking he was going to be executed in prison only to find out that he has been jailed to protect him from Ishido; and his relief at finding the Erasmus in good condition. Translate that into an essay on how often times people expect the worst but find out things have a way of working out.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)