|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toranaga declare about Sudara?
(a) he is his heir together with his brother.
(b) he is to marry his cousin.
(c) he is his sole heir.
(d) he is no longer his heir.
2. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
(a) Toranaga's house.
(b) a tea house.
(c) the ship.
(d) the theater.
3. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he is a true friend.
(b) that he doubts him.
(c) that he trusts him.
(d) that he needs his advice.
4. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(b) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(c) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(d) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
5. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
(a) that he is no longer barbarian.
(b) that he knows Toranaga's plans.
(c) that he is taking Mariko with him when he leaves.
(d) that he is available at the right price.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
2. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
3. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
4. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
5. What demand does Toranaga make of his son to prove his fidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event breaks up the birthday party for Ochiba?
2. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
3. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
4. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
5. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
6. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
7. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
8. What is the unusual request Buntaro makes of Blackthorne.
9. What unusual battle plan does Toranaga come up with to use against Ishido?
10. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)