|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
(a) the Jesuits.
2. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
(a) in Blackthorne's house.
(b) with Mariko.
(c) with Rodrigues.
(d) in Yabu's house.
3. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
(a) the Jesuits.
(b) Toranaga's men.
(c) Ishido's men.
(d) Hiro-matso's men.
4. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) we need them.
(b) we are ready.
(c) send us money to buy them.
(d) there are none.
5. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
(a) a tax bill.
(b) letters from Yaemon.
(c) a petition for him to return to the council.
(d) demands from Ishido.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
2. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
3. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
4. When does Fujiko sleep?
5. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
2. What event breaks up the birthday party for Ochiba?
3. Why does Mariko announce that she will commit seppuku at sundown?
4. What is the unusual request Buntaro makes of Blackthorne.
5. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
6. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
7. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
8. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
9. Describe Blackthorne's introduction to Kiku.
10. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)