|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
(a) it is sunk.
(b) it is moved to a safe cove.
(c) it is under samurai guard.
(d) it is re-armed.
2. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
(a) the danger of going out at night.
(b) the cost of rebuilding his house.
(c) the number of casualties.
(d) the condition of the Erasmus.
3. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
(a) some prisoners.
(b) some Portuguese.
(c) some samurai.
(d) some villagers.
4. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) from money given by Toranaga.
(b) from selling off some of his property.
(c) from taxing the villagers.
(d) out of her own personal fortune.
5. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(b) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
(c) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
(d) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
2. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
3. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
4. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
5. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proposal of Blackthorne's meets with opposition from Toranaga?
2. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
3. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
4. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
5. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
6. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
7. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
8. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
9. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
10. What is the request Blackthorne makes of Toranaga regarding Mariko?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)