|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What course of action does Yabu recommend?
(a) declaring war.
(b) pretending to cooperate.
(c) sending Blackthrone to Ishido.
(d) killing the couriers.
2. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are in a large house with servants.
(b) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(c) they have all been given Japanese wives.
(d) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
3. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
(a) a petition for him to return to the council.
(b) demands from Ishido.
(c) a tax bill.
(d) letters from Yaemon.
4. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(b) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
(c) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(d) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
5. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
(a) some samurai.
(b) some prisoners.
(c) some Portuguese.
(d) some villagers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
2. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
3. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
4. What does Mariko tell Blackthorne about the money Fujiko will spend from her own fortune?
5. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariko announce that she will commit seppuku at sundown?
2. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
3. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
4. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
5. What is the problem between Toranaga and his half-brother Zataki?
6. What event breaks up the birthday party for Ochiba?
7. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
8. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
9. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
10. What is the request Blackthorne makes of Toranaga regarding Mariko?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)