|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
(a) the number of casualties.
(b) the condition of the Erasmus.
(c) the cost of rebuilding his house.
(d) the danger of going out at night.
2. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) out of her own personal fortune.
(b) from selling off some of his property.
(c) from money given by Toranaga.
(d) from taxing the villagers.
3. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only short cat naps.
(b) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
(c) only during the day.
(d) only when Blackthorne goes out.
4. Why is there someone always following Blackthorne?
(a) to guide him if he gets lost.
(b) to spy on him.
(c) to try and kidnap him.
(d) for his protection.
5. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
(a) go over to Ishido.
(b) send for assistance.
(c) bribe the guards.
(d) commit seppuku.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Toranaga lose during the earthquake?
2. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
3. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
4. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
5. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
2. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
3. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
4. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
5. What is the problem between Toranaga and his half-brother Zataki?
6. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
7. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
8. What is the request Blackthorne makes of Toranaga regarding Mariko?
9. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
10. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)