|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interests Toranaga as a possible consort?
2. During the digging, what do the villagers express concern about?
(a) rebuilding their houses.
(b) new taxes.
(c) a possible war.
(d) another earthquake.
3. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
(a) he needs it in a basket.
(b) he thinks it is on wrong.
(c) he needs it on his shoulders.
(d) he wants to elevate it.
4. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
(d) lame ducks.
5. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
(a) that of madame.
(b) that of entertainer.
(c) that of geisha.
(d) that of tea server.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
2. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
3. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
4. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
5. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
2. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
3. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
4. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
5. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
6. What proposal of Blackthorne's meets with opposition from Toranaga?
7. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
8. What is Blackthorne's surprise about the rebuilding of his house after the earthquake and fire?
9. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
10. What is the problem between Toranaga and his half-brother Zataki?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)