|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
(a) at his rebuilt house.
(b) on board the Erasmus.
(c) in Mariko's house.
(d) waiting to see Toranaga.
2. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
(a) a different girl every night and beer to drink.
(b) a small boat and a beach house.
(c) a suite in the palace and a valet.
(d) a house, servants, and a generous allowance.
3. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
(a) runs for cover.
(b) takes the sword herself.
(d) kills Ishido.
4. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(b) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(c) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(d) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
5. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could send them back to Portugal.
(b) that he could bury them.
(c) that he could return them to the ship.
(d) that he could visit them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
2. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
3. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
4. What does Toranaga declare about Sudara?
5. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
2. What proposal of Blackthorne's meets with opposition from Toranaga?
3. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
4. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
5. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
6. Describe Blackthorne's introduction to Kiku.
7. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
8. What unusual battle plan does Toranaga come up with to use against Ishido?
9. Why does Mariko announce that she will commit seppuku at sundown?
10. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)