|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interests Toranaga as a possible consort?
2. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
(a) he refuses to leave the galley.
(b) he tenders his resignation as a council member.
(c) he sends Yabu to speak for him.
(d) he has his own troops ready in ambush.
3. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) sell them.
(b) sacrifice them.
(c) promote them.
(d) demote them.
4. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
(a) if he does not, the entire village will be beheaded.
(b) if he does not, he will be beheaded.
(c) if he does not, he will be sent to Spain as a spy.
(d) if he does not, Mirako will be beheaded.
5. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(b) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(c) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(d) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
2. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
3. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
4. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
5. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
2. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
3. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
4. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
5. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
6. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
7. Describe Blackthorne's introduction to Kiku.
8. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
9. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
10. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)