|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
(a) the meeting between Ishido and Yabu.
(b) in Osaka.
(c) on board the galley.
(d) the birthday party for Ochiba.
2. Why does Omi's wife agree that the money is well spent?
(a) it shows his status in the world.
(b) it will impress the villagers.
(c) it could lead to promotion.
(d) it might be repaid by Toranaga.
3. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
(a) takes the sword herself.
(b) kills Ishido.
(d) runs for cover.
4. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he trusts him.
(b) that he needs his advice.
(c) that he is a true friend.
(d) that he doubts him.
5. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
(a) whether everything is ready for the arrival.
(b) how to plan a surprise for Toranaga.
(c) it there is enough security in the village.
(d) what time Yabu and Toranaga will arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on the Erasmus when Blackthorne arrives?
2. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
3. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
4. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
5. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
2. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
3. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
4. What is the request Blackthorne makes of Toranaga regarding Mariko?
5. Why does Mariko announce that she will commit seppuku at sundown?
6. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
7. What is Blackthorne's surprise about the rebuilding of his house after the earthquake and fire?
8. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
9. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
10. Describe Blackthorne's introduction to Kiku.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)