|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
(a) at the emotion shown by Ishido.
(b) that Blackthorne follows them out.
(c) at Yabu's public display of support.
(d) that Ishido allowed them to leave.
2. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
(a) with Mariko.
(b) with Rodrigues.
(c) in Blackthorne's house.
(d) in Yabu's house.
3. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) out of her own personal fortune.
(b) from taxing the villagers.
(c) from money given by Toranaga.
(d) from selling off some of his property.
4. Who is on the Erasmus when Blackthorne arrives?
(a) Rodrigues and a samurai.
(b) Toranaga and Hiro-matsu.
(c) Vinck and the samurai on board.
(d) Father Sebastio and Alvito.
5. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could bury them.
(b) that he could visit them.
(c) that he could send them back to Portugal.
(d) that he could return them to the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toranaga declare about Sudara?
2. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
3. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
4. What course of action does Yabu recommend?
5. After purging his advisers, what does Toranaga do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
2. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
3. What proposal of Blackthorne's meets with opposition from Toranaga?
4. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
5. Describe Blackthorne's introduction to Kiku.
6. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
7. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
8. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
9. What is Blackthorne's surprise about the rebuilding of his house after the earthquake and fire?
10. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)