|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) he is not ready to declare war.
(b) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(c) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
(d) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
2. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
(a) the Jesuits will sabotage Blackthorne's ship.
(b) Toranaga will be on Blackthorne's ship.
(c) Blackthorne will defeat him.
(d) he will defeat Blackthorne.
3. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
(a) that Mariko was trying to get Ishido to kill her.
(b) that Mariko was acting on Toranaga's orders.
(c) that Mariko was defying Toranaga's orders.
(d) that Mariko likes to stir up trouble.
4. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
(b) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(c) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(d) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
5. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(b) only short cat naps.
(c) only during the day.
(d) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Rodrigues give Blackthorne that makes him suspicious?
2. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
3. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
4. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
5. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
2. What unusual battle plan does Toranaga come up with to use against Ishido?
3. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
4. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
5. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
6. What is the unusual request Buntaro makes of Blackthorne.
7. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
8. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
9. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
10. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)