|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor does Toranaga grant Blackthorne?
(a) two swords.
(b) a wife.
(c) a brace of pistols.
(d) a fifedom.
2. What is a part of Toranaga's plan against Ishido?
(a) to pretend to commit seppuku.
(b) to disguise himself as Goyoko.
(c) to appear to accept defeat.
(d) to offer a huge bribe to Ishido.
3. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
4. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
(b) only during the day.
(c) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(d) only short cat naps.
5. What interrupts the party?
(a) news that Toranaga is dying.
(b) news that Sazuko is dying.
(c) news that Yodoko is dying.
(d) news that Toranaga is attacking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
2. Who prevents Blackthorne from killing himself?
3. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
4. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
5. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
2. What unusual battle plan does Toranaga come up with to use against Ishido?
3. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
4. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
5. Describe Blackthorne's introduction to Kiku.
6. What is Blackthorne's surprise about the rebuilding of his house after the earthquake and fire?
7. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
8. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
9. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
10. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)