|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
(a) arrows come from a nearby fishing boat.
(b) the sword of the samurai.
(c) a falling spar.
(d) a shot from Blackthorne's pistol.
2. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
(a) a three sided attack.
(b) an attack during the rainy season.
(c) an attack during the night.
(d) an attack from the rear.
3. What did Toranaga lose during the earthquake?
(a) his palace.
(b) his horse.
(c) his swords.
(d) his uniform.
4. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to get a divorce.
(b) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(c) to try anew as husband and wife.
(d) to go their separate ways but stay married.
5. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
(a) he needs it on his shoulders.
(b) he needs it in a basket.
(c) he wants to elevate it.
(d) he thinks it is on wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
2. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
3. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
4. Why does Blackthorne threaten to commit suicide?
5. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unusual request Buntaro makes of Blackthorne.
2. What proposal of Blackthorne's meets with opposition from Toranaga?
3. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
4. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
5. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
6. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
7. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
8. What is Blackthorne's surprise about the rebuilding of his house after the earthquake and fire?
9. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
10. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)