|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) from money given by Toranaga.
(b) out of her own personal fortune.
(c) from taxing the villagers.
(d) from selling off some of his property.
2. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
3. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
(a) in Mariko's house.
(b) at his rebuilt house.
(c) waiting to see Toranaga.
(d) on board the Erasmus.
4. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) we need them.
(b) there are none.
(c) we are ready.
(d) send us money to buy them.
5. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
(a) he must sink the Erasmus.
(b) he must be ready to sail at a moment's notice.
(c) he must return to Toranaga.
(d) he must train Japanese crew members.
Short Answer Questions
1. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
2. What honor does Toranaga grant Blackthorne?
3. Who is Zataki?
4. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
5. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mariko announce that she will commit seppuku at sundown?
2. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
3. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
4. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
5. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
6. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
7. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
8. Why is Buntaro so antagonistic toward Blackthorne?
9. What is the unusual request Buntaro makes of Blackthorne.
10. What is Blackthorne's surprise about the rebuilding of his house after the earthquake and fire?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)