|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
2. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(b) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(c) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(d) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
3. During the digging, what do the villagers express concern about?
(a) another earthquake.
(b) a possible war.
(c) new taxes.
(d) rebuilding their houses.
4. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
(a) he must train Japanese crew members.
(b) he must sink the Erasmus.
(c) he must be ready to sail at a moment's notice.
(d) he must return to Toranaga.
5. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
(a) a falling spar.
(b) the sword of the samurai.
(c) arrows come from a nearby fishing boat.
(d) a shot from Blackthorne's pistol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
2. Why does Omi's wife agree that the money is well spent?
3. What does Toranaga tell Hiro-matsu about his stated plan to go to Osaka?
4. Who prevents Blackthorne from killing himself?
5. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
2. What proposal of Blackthorne's meets with opposition from Toranaga?
3. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
4. What unusual battle plan does Toranaga come up with to use against Ishido?
5. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
6. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
7. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
8. What event breaks up the birthday party for Ochiba?
9. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
10. What is the problem between Toranaga and his half-brother Zataki?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)