|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
(a) commit seppuku.
(b) bribe the guards.
(c) send for assistance.
(d) go over to Ishido.
2. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
(c) lame ducks.
3. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only short cat naps.
(b) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
(c) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(d) only during the day.
4. What gift does Rodrigues give Blackthorne that makes him suspicious?
(a) a copy of the Bible in English.
(b) a dictionary of Portuguese to Japanese language.
(c) a newly copied rutter.
(d) a history of the Jesuits in Japan.
5. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(b) they have all been given Japanese wives.
(c) they are in a large house with servants.
(d) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
2. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
3. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
4. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
5. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
Short Essay Questions
1. what is the chief concern among Toranaga's people pending his arrival at his castle?
2. What is the problem between Toranaga and his half-brother Zataki?
3. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
4. What is Blackthorne's surprise about the rebuilding of his house after the earthquake and fire?
5. How has the Japanese influence rubbed off on Blackthorne when he visits his crew?
6. What unusual battle plan does Toranaga come up with to use against Ishido?
7. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
8. How does Omi further attempt to ingratiate himself with Lord Toranaga?
9. Why do Blackthorne, his crew, and some samurai move the Erasmus?
10. What action on the part of Martin Alvito raises Blackthorne's suspicions?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)