|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
(b) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(c) he is not ready to declare war.
(d) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
2. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
(a) it is flying the Portuguese flag.
(b) it is in good condition.
(c) all his old crewmen are there.
(d) the Portuguese rutter has been returned.
3. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(b) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(c) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
(d) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
4. What does Mariko tell Blackthorne about the money Fujiko will spend from her own fortune?
(a) it will not be a loan.
(b) it will bear no interest.
(c) it will be reembursed by Yabu.
(d) it will be repaid from his future earnings.
5. Why is there someone always following Blackthorne?
(a) for his protection.
(b) to spy on him.
(c) to guide him if he gets lost.
(d) to try and kidnap him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
2. What interrupts the party?
3. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
4. Who is Zataki?
5. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instruction does Yodoko give Ochiba, the mother of Yaemon?
2. What does Blackthorne find when he is given permission to visit his crew from the Erasmus?
3. Why is Ochiba unsure of the parentage of Yaemon who is thought to be the son of Taikō?
4. Why does Mariko travel to Osaka with scrolls for Kiri and Sazuko?
5. How does Toranaga respond to Ishido's demand that he come to Osaka?
6. Why does Toranaga lose his temper when Buntaro requests permission to kill Blackthorne?
7. What are the circumstances that call off the attack against Mariko after the bomb goes off?
8. How does Toranaga publicly honor Yabu?
9. What is the problem between Toranaga and his half-brother Zataki?
10. What event breaks up the birthday party for Ochiba?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)