|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Blackthorne and his men determine which of them will be executed?
(a) arm wrestling.
(b) drawing straws.
(c) selecting the oldest.
(d) selecting the youngest.
2. Although he treats Blackthorne well, what does Mura believe?
(a) that the samurai will chop off his head.
(b) that he will become a slave of the shōgun.
(c) that the daimyo will order Blackthorne's execution.
(d) that he will be forced to fight a samurai.
3. During the trip on the galley, how does the weather change?
(a) it begins to snow.
(b) the sea becomes calm.
(c) a storm comes up.
(d) the clouds hide the stars.
4. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
(a) Yaemon's mother, Ochiba.
(c) the young widow of Hiro-matsu's grandson.
(d) his chief consort.
5. What has Toranaga learned about his situation?
(a) he has solid support of the other four regents.
(b) he is scheduled to be executed.
(c) he is alone against the other four regents.
(d) he has developed a terminal illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question comes to mind when Blackthorne almost falls off the galley while Rodrigues is piloting?
2. Who knows there have been secret deals between Ishido and two of the others who rule for Yaemon?
3. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
4. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
5. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blackthorne insist on as soon as he gets the galley into a safe harbor?
2. What is the first indication of Yabu's ambition as Hiro-matsu arrives to see the Erasmus?
3. Why does Buntaro prepare to commit seppuku at the end of a jetty?
4. Describe the change in Toranaga's orders related to Blackthorne after he is removed from prison.
5. What is the first indication of the brutality of the samurai in the novel?
6. Why does Blackthorne want to get on board the Erasmus?
7. What does Rodrigues tell Blackthorne about the Japanese rowers on board the galley?
8. What are Blackthorne's questions Toranaga tells Mariko not to answer?
9. Why does Blackthorne not take Rodrigues up on the offer to copy his rutters?
10. How is the conflict between Toranaga and Ishido presented as Ishido is introduced into the novel?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)