|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
(a) that he is not interpreting properly for the Japanese.
(b) that he fears for his own life by talking to him.
(c) that he is using Blackthorne to elevate his own position.
(d) that he is a spy for the Portuguese
2. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
(a) they will be deported.
(b) they must become slaves.
(c) one of them must die.
(d) one of them must kill the others.
3. How is Rodrigues found the morning after the storm?
(a) barely alive at the bottom of a cliff.
(b) dead and mangled at the bottom of a cliff.
(c) floating face down in the surf at the bottom of a cliff.
(d) alive and well at the bottom of a cliff.
4. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
(a) unloading the Erasmus.
(b) entertaining Blackthorne.
(c) recruiting an army.
(d) preparing for an execution.
5. Satisfied Blackthorne is not an enemy, what does Friar Dominga tell Blackthorne?
(a) about Spanish priests.
(b) about Spanish ships.
(c) about Spanish gold.
(d) about Spanish cuisine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men given to eat?
2. Who is the pilot of the galley that will take Blackthorne to Osaka?
3. Why does Toranaga deny the young widow the privilege of committing seppuku?
4. How does Blackthorne justify deceiving the friar?
5. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sets up the conflict between Blackthorne and Omi that lasts for the remainder of the novel?
2. After they become more acquainted, what does Rodrigues allow Blackthorne to do?
3. What prompts Blackthorne to attack Father Sabastio and desecrate his wooden cross?
4. What is the political function of Yodoko in the novel?
5. What is the diversion that allows Toranaga, dressed as a woman, to change places with Kiri in the palanquin?
6. What does Rodrigues tell Blackthorne about the Japanese rowers on board the galley?
7. What are Blackthorne's questions Toranaga tells Mariko not to answer?
8. Why does Blackthorne not take Rodrigues up on the offer to copy his rutters?
9. Why does Blackthorne want to get on board the Erasmus?
10. How close does Blackthorne come to being executed in Yedo after visiting Toranaga?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)