|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Blackthorne's position before the wreck of the Erasmus?
(a) translator for the British.
(b) navigator of the Omi.
(c) captain of the Santa Theresa.
(d) pilot-major of the trading ship Erasmus.
2. How is the Englishman killed?
(a) in boiling water.
(b) in boiling butter.
(c) in boiling oil.
(d) in the boiling sun.
3. Why does Toranaga not take the galley for his escape?
(a) it is being repaired.
(b) it is filled with Gray samurai.
(c) it is in dry dock.
(d) it cannot out maneuver the ship.
4. What country does Blackthorne say he is not an enemy of?
(b) the Friar's home country, Spain
5. Who sees Blackthorne as dangerous because of his information?
(c) the church.
(d) the shōgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blackthorne want to do?
2. How does the galley get safely into the harbor?
3. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
4. What question comes to mind when Blackthorne almost falls off the galley while Rodrigues is piloting?
5. Who knows there have been secret deals between Ishido and two of the others who rule for Yaemon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first indication of the brutality of the samurai in the novel?
2. How is the conflict between Toranaga and Ishido presented as Ishido is introduced into the novel?
3. Why does Blackthorne want to get on board the Erasmus?
4. What sets up the conflict between Blackthorne and Omi that lasts for the remainder of the novel?
5. After they become more acquainted, what does Rodrigues allow Blackthorne to do?
6. What is the diversion that allows Toranaga, dressed as a woman, to change places with Kiri in the palanquin?
7. What does Blackthorne tell Toranaga at their first meeting that puzzled him?
8. How is one of the crew brutally tortured to death?
9. How does John Blackthorne arrive in Japan?
10. How is tension presented in Toranaga's character after meeting Ishido?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)