|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he treats Blackthorne well, what does Mura believe?
(a) that the daimyo will order Blackthorne's execution.
(b) that he will become a slave of the shōgun.
(c) that he will be forced to fight a samurai.
(d) that the samurai will chop off his head.
2. Who knows there have been secret deals between Ishido and two of the others who rule for Yaemon?
(c) Martin Alvito
3. During the trip on the galley, how does the weather change?
(a) the sea becomes calm.
(b) a storm comes up.
(c) the clouds hide the stars.
(d) it begins to snow.
4. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
(a) that he is not interpreting properly for the Japanese.
(b) that he fears for his own life by talking to him.
(c) that he is using Blackthorne to elevate his own position.
(d) that he is a spy for the Portuguese
5. Why does Toranaga not take the galley for his escape?
(a) it is being repaired.
(b) it cannot out maneuver the ship.
(c) it is filled with Gray samurai.
(d) it is in dry dock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Toranaga to have trouble sleeping?
2. How does Buntaro escape death?
3. How does the galley get safely into the harbor?
4. What is the subject matter of the Prologue?
5. Who arrives and almost puts an end to the ruse Toranaga uses for his getaway?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Portuguese pilot, Rodrigues, introduced into the story?
2. What is the first indication of Yabu's ambition as Hiro-matsu arrives to see the Erasmus?
3. After they become more acquainted, what does Rodrigues allow Blackthorne to do?
4. Why does Buntaro prepare to commit seppuku at the end of a jetty?
5. How does Omi persuade Blackthorne to come out of the pit?
6. Describe the change in Toranaga's orders related to Blackthorne after he is removed from prison.
7. Why does Yabu personally scale the cliffs to rescue Rodrigues?
8. Where are Blackthorne and his crew held prisoners?
9. What are Blackthorne's questions Toranaga tells Mariko not to answer?
10. Why does Blackthorne not take Rodrigues up on the offer to copy his rutters?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)