|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he treats Blackthorne well, what does Mura believe?
(a) that he will be forced to fight a samurai.
(b) that the daimyo will order Blackthorne's execution.
(c) that he will become a slave of the shōgun.
(d) that the samurai will chop off his head.
2. What does Domingo say about the prisoners in the place where he and Blackthorne are?
(a) they will all be released.
(b) they will soon be forgotten.
(c) they will be used as medical experiments.
(d) they are all condemned to die.
3. Satisfied Blackthorne is not an enemy, what does Friar Dominga tell Blackthorne?
(a) about Spanish cuisine.
(b) about Spanish gold.
(c) about Spanish ships.
(d) about Spanish priests.
4. Where does Blackthorne find himself once again?
(a) on Rodrigues's galley.
(b) in a cramped prison cell
(c) in front of Toranaga.
(d) on the Erasmus.
5. Who sees Blackthorne as dangerous because of his information?
(a) the church.
(c) the shōgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Domingo teach Blackthorne?
2. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
3. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
4. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
5. How does Yabu cover his attempt to get the ship's treasure and weaponry for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is one of the crew brutally tortured to death?
2. What are Blackthorne's questions Toranaga tells Mariko not to answer?
3. After they become more acquainted, what does Rodrigues allow Blackthorne to do?
4. Where are Blackthorne and his crew held prisoners?
5. What does Rodrigues tell Blackthorne about the Japanese rowers on board the galley?
6. Why is the ship Toranaga is on unable to leave the harbor?
7. What does Blackthorne tell Toranaga at their first meeting that puzzled him?
8. What is the political function of Yodoko in the novel?
9. What is the first indication of the brutality of the samurai in the novel?
10. How does John Blackthorne arrive in Japan?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)