|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a few skirmishes, where does Blackthorne end up?
(a) with Yabu.
(b) on board the Erasmus.
(c) facing the emperor.
(d) with the shōgun.
2. During the trip on the galley, how does the weather change?
(a) the sea becomes calm.
(b) it begins to snow.
(c) the clouds hide the stars.
(d) a storm comes up.
3. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
(a) by camel.
(b) by ship.
(c) by caravan.
(d) by palanquin.
4. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
(a) the young widow of Hiro-matsu's grandson.
(c) his chief consort.
(d) Yaemon's mother, Ochiba.
5. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
(a) he changes the direction of the galley.
(b) he sees an opportunity to go past the frigate.
(c) he lights fires on the galley to look like it is burning.
(d) he flies a Gray flag on the galley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Rodrigues from breaking the seal on the thing he is delivering to Toranaga?
2. What does Blackthorne suspect about the daimyo, Kasigi Yabu, Lord of Izu?
3. Who knows there have been secret deals between Ishido and two of the others who rule for Yaemon?
4. What offer does Rodrigues make to Blackthorne?
5. How do Blackthorne and his men determine which of them will be executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sets up the conflict between Blackthorne and Omi that lasts for the remainder of the novel?
2. Why does Buntaro prepare to commit seppuku at the end of a jetty?
3. How is one of the crew brutally tortured to death?
4. Where are Blackthorne and his crew held prisoners?
5. What does Blackthorne insist on as soon as he gets the galley into a safe harbor?
6. Why is Rodrigues swept overboard on the galley?
7. During the galley trip to Osaka, what happens with the weather?
8. What is the diversion that allows Toranaga, dressed as a woman, to change places with Kiri in the palanquin?
9. How is the conflict between Toranaga and Ishido presented as Ishido is introduced into the novel?
10. Why does Blackthorne want to get on board the Erasmus?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)