|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
(a) join the council again.
(b) give his possessions to his son and commit seppuku.
(c) surrender his troops.
(d) kill all the foreigners in the country.
2. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants them to move.
(b) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
(c) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(d) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
3. What honor does Toranaga grant Blackthorne?
(a) a wife.
(b) two swords.
(c) a brace of pistols.
(d) a fifedom.
4. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
(a) on board the Erasmus.
(b) at his rebuilt house.
(c) in Mariko's house.
(d) waiting to see Toranaga.
5. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to try anew as husband and wife.
(b) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(c) to get a divorce.
(d) to go their separate ways but stay married.
6. What does Blackthorne request about Mariko?
(a) that she be given his fifedom.
(b) that she be allowed to divorce Buntaro.
(c) that she be removed from his service.
(d) that she be made a samurai.
7. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) a cyclone.
(b) a volcano eruption.
(c) a tsunami.
(d) an earthquake.
8. What does Mariko do when she sees the results of the ninja explosion?
(a) runs to save Kiku.
(b) puches Blackthorne out a back door.
(c) throws her kimono on the flames.
(d) throws herself into it to avoid being taken alive.
9. Why does Blackthorne threaten to commit suicide?
(a) no one in the village will help him learn Japanese.
(b) the village is held responsible for his learning Japanese.
(c) he thinks he has no chance to learn Japanese.
(d) he does not want to learn Japanese.
10. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he trusts him.
(b) that he is a true friend.
(c) that he doubts him.
(d) that he needs his advice.
11. What does Toranaga tell Hiro-matsu about his stated plan to go to Osaka?
(a) it is time for him to go.
(b) it is a matter of personal honor.
(c) it is a ruse to gain time.
(d) it is in obedience to the council.
12. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
(a) that of madame.
(b) that of tea server.
(c) that of entertainer.
(d) that of geisha.
13. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(b) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
(c) only during the day.
(d) only short cat naps.
14. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) sacrifice them.
(b) promote them.
(c) sell them.
(d) demote them.
15. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
2. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
3. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
4. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
5. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)