|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mariko do when she sees the results of the ninja explosion?
(a) runs to save Kiku.
(b) throws herself into it to avoid being taken alive.
(c) puches Blackthorne out a back door.
(d) throws her kimono on the flames.
2. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
(a) the meeting between Ishido and Yabu.
(b) in Osaka.
(c) the birthday party for Ochiba.
(d) on board the galley.
3. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
(a) that Mariko likes to stir up trouble.
(b) that Mariko was trying to get Ishido to kill her.
(c) that Mariko was defying Toranaga's orders.
(d) that Mariko was acting on Toranaga's orders.
4. What demand does Toranaga make of his son to prove his fidelity?
(a) to divorce his wife.
(b) to slaughter his four children.
(c) to swear on the heads of his children.
(d) to put his head on a chopping block.
5. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
(a) a small boat and a beach house.
(b) a house, servants, and a generous allowance.
(c) a suite in the palace and a valet.
(d) a different girl every night and beer to drink.
6. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
(a) at Yabu's public display of support.
(b) at the emotion shown by Ishido.
(c) that Blackthorne follows them out.
(d) that Ishido allowed them to leave.
7. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
(a) that he is taking Mariko with him when he leaves.
(b) that he is no longer barbarian.
(c) that he knows Toranaga's plans.
(d) that he is available at the right price.
8. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
(a) that they commit seppuku.
(b) that they surrender their swords.
(c) that they swear allegiance.
(d) that they tell him everything they know.
9. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he is free to go.
(b) he has been made a general.
(c) he must go to Osaka.
(d) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
10. Who is Zataki?
(a) Yabu's brother.
(b) Kiku's consort.
(c) Toranaga's half brother.
(d) Buntaro's informant.
11. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
(a) that she has higher rank than he does.
(b) that she is a hostage.
(c) that he plans to kill Blackthorne.
(d) that he fears Toranaga.
12. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
(a) the Jesuits.
(b) Toranaga's men.
(c) Ishido's men.
(d) Hiro-matso's men.
13. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
(d) the Jesuits.
14. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he trusts him.
(b) that he needs his advice.
(c) that he doubts him.
(d) that he is a true friend.
15. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) from money given by Toranaga.
(b) out of her own personal fortune.
(c) from selling off some of his property.
(d) from taxing the villagers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
2. What does Blackthorne request about Mariko?
3. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
4. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
5. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)