|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blackthorne request about Mariko?
(a) that she be removed from his service.
(b) that she be made a samurai.
(c) that she be given his fifedom.
(d) that she be allowed to divorce Buntaro.
2. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
(a) some prisoners.
(b) some villagers.
(c) some samurai.
(d) some Portuguese.
3. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(b) only short cat naps.
(c) only during the day.
(d) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
4. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
(a) on board the galley.
(b) the meeting between Ishido and Yabu.
(c) the birthday party for Ochiba.
(d) in Osaka.
5. What has Omi done in preparation for the arrival of Toranaga and Yabu?
(a) spent a great deal of money to hire musicians.
(b) spent a great deal of money to paint the palace.
(c) spent a great deal of money and had the beach raked.
(d) spent a great deal of money to have a banquet ready.
6. Who is Zataki?
(a) Yabu's brother.
(b) Buntaro's informant.
(c) Kiku's consort.
(d) Toranaga's half brother.
7. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
(a) it is re-armed.
(b) it is moved to a safe cove.
(c) it is under samurai guard.
(d) it is sunk.
8. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
(a) on board the Erasmus.
(b) at his rebuilt house.
(c) waiting to see Toranaga.
(d) in Mariko's house.
9. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
(a) that of tea server.
(b) that of geisha.
(c) that of entertainer.
(d) that of madame.
10. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
(a) the Jesuits.
11. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
(a) it is in good condition.
(b) the Portuguese rutter has been returned.
(c) it is flying the Portuguese flag.
(d) all his old crewmen are there.
12. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
13. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) a tsunami.
(b) an earthquake.
(c) a volcano eruption.
(d) a cyclone.
14. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
(c) lame ducks.
15. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
(c) Ishido's ninja.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
2. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
3. Who interests Toranaga as a possible consort?
4. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
5. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)