|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) we are ready.
(b) we need them.
(c) send us money to buy them.
(d) there are none.
2. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he is a true friend.
(b) that he trusts him.
(c) that he doubts him.
(d) that he needs his advice.
3. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
(a) he tenders his resignation as a council member.
(b) he refuses to leave the galley.
(c) he sends Yabu to speak for him.
(d) he has his own troops ready in ambush.
4. What does Toranaga tell Hiro-matsu about his stated plan to go to Osaka?
(a) it is in obedience to the council.
(b) it is a matter of personal honor.
(c) it is a ruse to gain time.
(d) it is time for him to go.
5. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
(a) it is re-armed.
(b) it is under samurai guard.
(c) it is moved to a safe cove.
(d) it is sunk.
6. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only during the day.
(b) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(c) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
(d) only short cat naps.
7. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
(a) that Mariko was trying to get Ishido to kill her.
(b) that Mariko was defying Toranaga's orders.
(c) that Mariko likes to stir up trouble.
(d) that Mariko was acting on Toranaga's orders.
8. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he has been made a general.
(b) he is free to go.
(c) he must go to Osaka.
(d) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
9. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
(a) he must be ready to sail at a moment's notice.
(b) he must train Japanese crew members.
(c) he must sink the Erasmus.
(d) he must return to Toranaga.
10. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
(a) if he does not, he will be beheaded.
(b) if he does not, he will be sent to Spain as a spy.
(c) if he does not, the entire village will be beheaded.
(d) if he does not, Mirako will be beheaded.
11. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
(b) takes the sword herself.
(c) runs for cover.
(d) kills Ishido.
12. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(b) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
(c) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(d) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
13. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
(a) send for assistance.
(b) commit seppuku.
(c) bribe the guards.
(d) go over to Ishido.
14. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
(a) it there is enough security in the village.
(b) whether everything is ready for the arrival.
(c) how to plan a surprise for Toranaga.
(d) what time Yabu and Toranaga will arrive.
15. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
(a) Hiro-matso's men.
(b) Ishido's men.
(c) the Jesuits.
(d) Toranaga's men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts the party?
2. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
3. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
4. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
5. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)