|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
(c) lame ducks.
2. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) he is not ready to declare war.
(b) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(c) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(d) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
3. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
(a) the number of casualties.
(b) the cost of rebuilding his house.
(c) the danger of going out at night.
(d) the condition of the Erasmus.
4. What does Blackthorne request about Mariko?
(a) that she be made a samurai.
(b) that she be given his fifedom.
(c) that she be allowed to divorce Buntaro.
(d) that she be removed from his service.
5. Why is there someone always following Blackthorne?
(a) to guide him if he gets lost.
(b) for his protection.
(c) to spy on him.
(d) to try and kidnap him.
6. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(b) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
(c) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(d) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
7. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to get a divorce.
(b) to go their separate ways but stay married.
(c) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(d) to try anew as husband and wife.
8. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
(a) a small boat and a beach house.
(b) a different girl every night and beer to drink.
(c) a suite in the palace and a valet.
(d) a house, servants, and a generous allowance.
9. What interrupts the party?
(a) news that Yodoko is dying.
(b) news that Sazuko is dying.
(c) news that Toranaga is attacking.
(d) news that Toranaga is dying.
10. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
(b) he must go to Osaka.
(c) he is free to go.
(d) he has been made a general.
11. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) an earthquake.
(b) a cyclone.
(c) a tsunami.
(d) a volcano eruption.
12. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
(a) the Jesuits.
13. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
(a) that Ishido allowed them to leave.
(b) at Yabu's public display of support.
(c) that Blackthorne follows them out.
(d) at the emotion shown by Ishido.
14. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
(a) that they surrender their swords.
(b) that they commit seppuku.
(c) that they tell him everything they know.
(d) that they swear allegiance.
15. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
(a) a petition for him to return to the council.
(b) demands from Ishido.
(c) a tax bill.
(d) letters from Yaemon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
2. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
3. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
4. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
5. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)