|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(b) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(c) they are in a large house with servants.
(d) they have all been given Japanese wives.
2. Who is Zataki?
(a) Toranaga's half brother.
(b) Buntaro's informant.
(c) Kiku's consort.
(d) Yabu's brother.
3. What does Mariko tell Blackthorne about the money Fujiko will spend from her own fortune?
(a) it will be reembursed by Yabu.
(b) it will be repaid from his future earnings.
(c) it will not be a loan.
(d) it will bear no interest.
4. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
(a) Blackthorne will defeat him.
(b) Toranaga will be on Blackthorne's ship.
(c) he will defeat Blackthorne.
(d) the Jesuits will sabotage Blackthorne's ship.
5. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
(a) that he is available at the right price.
(b) that he is taking Mariko with him when he leaves.
(c) that he is no longer barbarian.
(d) that he knows Toranaga's plans.
6. What gift does Rodrigues give Blackthorne that makes him suspicious?
(a) a dictionary of Portuguese to Japanese language.
(b) a copy of the Bible in English.
(c) a newly copied rutter.
(d) a history of the Jesuits in Japan.
7. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
(a) the Portuguese rutter has been returned.
(b) it is flying the Portuguese flag.
(c) it is in good condition.
(d) all his old crewmen are there.
8. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(b) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
(c) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
(d) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
9. On her deathbed, what does Yodoko tell Ochiba she must do?
(a) admit who was the real father of Yaemon.
(b) take Yaemon and hide in the mountains.
(c) marry Toranaga and put Yaemon in his care.
(d) marry Ishido to save Yaemon.
10. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to try anew as husband and wife.
(b) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(c) to go their separate ways but stay married.
(d) to get a divorce.
11. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) we are ready.
(b) send us money to buy them.
(c) we need them.
(d) there are none.
12. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only during the day.
(b) only short cat naps.
(c) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(d) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
13. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
(a) Toranaga's men.
(b) the Jesuits.
(c) Hiro-matso's men.
(d) Ishido's men.
14. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
(a) some Portuguese.
(b) some prisoners.
(c) some villagers.
(d) some samurai.
15. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could visit them.
(b) that he could bury them.
(c) that he could return them to the ship.
(d) that he could send them back to Portugal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
2. What demand does Toranaga make of his son to prove his fidelity?
3. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
4. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
5. What does Toranaga declare about Sudara?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)