|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
(a) to learn Portuguese.
(b) to learn sword fighting.
(c) to learn Japanese history.
(d) to learn Japanese.
2. What does Mariko tell Blackthorne about the money Fujiko will spend from her own fortune?
(a) it will be reembursed by Yabu.
(b) it will be repaid from his future earnings.
(c) it will bear no interest.
(d) it will not be a loan.
3. Who is Zataki?
(a) Buntaro's informant.
(b) Kiku's consort.
(c) Toranaga's half brother.
(d) Yabu's brother.
4. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
(a) the theater.
(b) the ship.
(c) Toranaga's house.
(d) a tea house.
5. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(b) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
(c) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(d) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
6. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(b) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
(c) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
(d) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
7. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) an earthquake.
(b) a volcano eruption.
(c) a cyclone.
(d) a tsunami.
8. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
(a) some prisoners.
(b) some samurai.
(c) some Portuguese.
(d) some villagers.
9. What does Blackthorne request about Mariko?
(a) that she be given his fifedom.
(b) that she be allowed to divorce Buntaro.
(c) that she be removed from his service.
(d) that she be made a samurai.
10. What honor does Toranaga grant Blackthorne?
(a) a brace of pistols.
(b) two swords.
(c) a fifedom.
(d) a wife.
11. After purging his advisers, what does Toranaga do?
(a) he goes to his room to wait.
(b) he moves in with his samurai.
(c) he calls for Blackthorne's advice.
(d) he mounts an attack party.
12. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
(a) in Blackthorne's house.
(b) with Mariko.
(c) with Rodrigues.
(d) in Yabu's house.
13. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they have all been given Japanese wives.
(b) they are in a large house with servants.
(c) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(d) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
14. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
(a) it is moved to a safe cove.
(b) it is re-armed.
(c) it is sunk.
(d) it is under samurai guard.
15. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
(a) an attack during the rainy season.
(b) a three sided attack.
(c) an attack from the rear.
(d) an attack during the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
2. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
3. What does Toranaga tell Hiro-matsu about his stated plan to go to Osaka?
4. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
5. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)