|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts the party?
(a) news that Yodoko is dying.
(b) news that Sazuko is dying.
(c) news that Toranaga is dying.
(d) news that Toranaga is attacking.
2. What did Toranaga lose during the earthquake?
(a) his uniform.
(b) his swords.
(c) his palace.
(d) his horse.
3. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) we are ready.
(b) there are none.
(c) send us money to buy them.
(d) we need them.
4. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(b) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(c) they are in a large house with servants.
(d) they have all been given Japanese wives.
5. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
(a) that of tea server.
(b) that of madame.
(c) that of entertainer.
(d) that of geisha.
6. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants them to move.
(b) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(c) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(d) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
7. What has Omi done in preparation for the arrival of Toranaga and Yabu?
(a) spent a great deal of money to have a banquet ready.
(b) spent a great deal of money and had the beach raked.
(c) spent a great deal of money to hire musicians.
(d) spent a great deal of money to paint the palace.
8. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
(a) to learn sword fighting.
(b) to learn Japanese.
(c) to learn Japanese history.
(d) to learn Portuguese.
9. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
(a) it there is enough security in the village.
(b) how to plan a surprise for Toranaga.
(c) what time Yabu and Toranaga will arrive.
(d) whether everything is ready for the arrival.
10. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he needs his advice.
(b) that he doubts him.
(c) that he is a true friend.
(d) that he trusts him.
11. What does Blackthorne request about Mariko?
(a) that she be removed from his service.
(b) that she be made a samurai.
(c) that she be allowed to divorce Buntaro.
(d) that she be given his fifedom.
12. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
(a) the cost of rebuilding his house.
(b) the number of casualties.
(c) the danger of going out at night.
(d) the condition of the Erasmus.
13. On her deathbed, what does Yodoko tell Ochiba she must do?
(a) take Yaemon and hide in the mountains.
(b) admit who was the real father of Yaemon.
(c) marry Toranaga and put Yaemon in his care.
(d) marry Ishido to save Yaemon.
14. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
(b) he is not ready to declare war.
(c) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(d) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
15. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
2. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
3. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
4. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
5. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)