|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Toranaga lose during the earthquake?
(a) his swords.
(b) his uniform.
(c) his horse.
(d) his palace.
2. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
(a) letters from Yaemon.
(b) demands from Ishido.
(c) a petition for him to return to the council.
(d) a tax bill.
3. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
4. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
(a) the sword of the samurai.
(b) arrows come from a nearby fishing boat.
(c) a shot from Blackthorne's pistol.
(d) a falling spar.
5. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he needs his advice.
(b) that he doubts him.
(c) that he is a true friend.
(d) that he trusts him.
6. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
(b) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(c) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(d) he wants them to move.
7. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could return them to the ship.
(b) that he could send them back to Portugal.
(c) that he could bury them.
(d) that he could visit them.
8. Why is there someone always following Blackthorne?
(a) to try and kidnap him.
(b) for his protection.
(c) to spy on him.
(d) to guide him if he gets lost.
9. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) a volcano eruption.
(b) a tsunami.
(c) an earthquake.
(d) a cyclone.
10. Who is Zataki?
(a) Yabu's brother.
(b) Buntaro's informant.
(c) Toranaga's half brother.
(d) Kiku's consort.
11. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
(b) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(c) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(d) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
12. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
(a) he wants to elevate it.
(b) he thinks it is on wrong.
(c) he needs it on his shoulders.
(d) he needs it in a basket.
13. What demand does Toranaga make of his son to prove his fidelity?
(a) to divorce his wife.
(b) to swear on the heads of his children.
(c) to put his head on a chopping block.
(d) to slaughter his four children.
14. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
(a) give his possessions to his son and commit seppuku.
(b) kill all the foreigners in the country.
(c) surrender his troops.
(d) join the council again.
15. During the digging, what do the villagers express concern about?
(a) another earthquake.
(b) a possible war.
(c) rebuilding their houses.
(d) new taxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
2. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
3. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
4. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
5. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)