|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
(a) Ishido's ninja.
2. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to get a divorce.
(b) to try anew as husband and wife.
(c) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(d) to go their separate ways but stay married.
3. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
(a) Blackthorne will defeat him.
(b) he will defeat Blackthorne.
(c) the Jesuits will sabotage Blackthorne's ship.
(d) Toranaga will be on Blackthorne's ship.
4. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
(a) all his old crewmen are there.
(b) it is flying the Portuguese flag.
(c) the Portuguese rutter has been returned.
(d) it is in good condition.
5. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
(a) that of geisha.
(b) that of tea server.
(c) that of madame.
(d) that of entertainer.
6. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
(d) the Jesuits.
7. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
(b) he wants them to move.
(c) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(d) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
8. Who prevents Blackthorne from killing himself?
9. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(b) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(c) they are in a large house with servants.
(d) they have all been given Japanese wives.
10. Who is Zataki?
(a) Kiku's consort.
(b) Toranaga's half brother.
(c) Yabu's brother.
(d) Buntaro's informant.
11. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
(a) in Blackthorne's house.
(b) with Rodrigues.
(c) with Mariko.
(d) in Yabu's house.
12. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could visit them.
(b) that he could return them to the ship.
(c) that he could bury them.
(d) that he could send them back to Portugal.
13. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
(a) what time Yabu and Toranaga will arrive.
(b) how to plan a surprise for Toranaga.
(c) whether everything is ready for the arrival.
(d) it there is enough security in the village.
14. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he is a true friend.
(b) that he trusts him.
(c) that he doubts him.
(d) that he needs his advice.
15. What is Blackthorne's duty after Toranaga leaves?
(a) to learn Japanese.
(b) to learn sword fighting.
(c) to learn Portuguese.
(d) to learn Japanese history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
2. What does Mariko do when she sees the results of the ninja explosion?
3. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
4. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
5. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)