|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
(a) that he fears Toranaga.
(b) that she has higher rank than he does.
(c) that he plans to kill Blackthorne.
(d) that she is a hostage.
2. Who is Zataki?
(a) Yabu's brother.
(b) Kiku's consort.
(c) Toranaga's half brother.
(d) Buntaro's informant.
3. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
(a) the birthday party for Ochiba.
(b) in Osaka.
(c) on board the galley.
(d) the meeting between Ishido and Yabu.
4. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
(b) only short cat naps.
(c) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(d) only during the day.
5. What is a part of Toranaga's plan against Ishido?
(a) to pretend to commit seppuku.
(b) to appear to accept defeat.
(c) to disguise himself as Goyoko.
(d) to offer a huge bribe to Ishido.
6. Who interests Toranaga as a possible consort?
7. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
(a) the condition of the Erasmus.
(b) the cost of rebuilding his house.
(c) the number of casualties.
(d) the danger of going out at night.
8. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
(a) the Jesuits.
(b) Hiro-matso's men.
(c) Ishido's men.
(d) Toranaga's men.
9. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants them to move.
(b) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
(c) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(d) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
10. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(b) he is not ready to declare war.
(c) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(d) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
11. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) sell them.
(b) sacrifice them.
(c) promote them.
(d) demote them.
12. What does Toranaga declare about Sudara?
(a) he is his heir together with his brother.
(b) he is his sole heir.
(c) he is to marry his cousin.
(d) he is no longer his heir.
13. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) a volcano eruption.
(b) a cyclone.
(c) an earthquake.
(d) a tsunami.
14. During the digging, what do the villagers express concern about?
(a) another earthquake.
(b) a possible war.
(c) new taxes.
(d) rebuilding their houses.
15. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
(a) he wants to elevate it.
(b) he thinks it is on wrong.
(c) he needs it on his shoulders.
(d) he needs it in a basket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
2. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
3. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
4. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
5. Why does Omi's wife agree that the money is well spent?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)