|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
(a) that they tell him everything they know.
(b) that they surrender their swords.
(c) that they swear allegiance.
(d) that they commit seppuku.
2. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
(a) a shot from Blackthorne's pistol.
(b) a falling spar.
(c) the sword of the samurai.
(d) arrows come from a nearby fishing boat.
3. What does Toranaga tell Hiro-matsu about his stated plan to go to Osaka?
(a) it is in obedience to the council.
(b) it is time for him to go.
(c) it is a ruse to gain time.
(d) it is a matter of personal honor.
4. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(b) they are in a large house with servants.
(c) they have all been given Japanese wives.
(d) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
5. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could return them to the ship.
(b) that he could visit them.
(c) that he could send them back to Portugal.
(d) that he could bury them.
6. What honor does Toranaga grant Blackthorne?
(a) two swords.
(b) a brace of pistols.
(c) a fifedom.
(d) a wife.
7. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
(b) he is free to go.
(c) he must go to Osaka.
(d) he has been made a general.
8. Who interests Toranaga as a possible consort?
9. What demand does Toranaga make of his son to prove his fidelity?
(a) to put his head on a chopping block.
(b) to slaughter his four children.
(c) to divorce his wife.
(d) to swear on the heads of his children.
10. What interrupts the party?
(a) news that Toranaga is attacking.
(b) news that Toranaga is dying.
(c) news that Yodoko is dying.
(d) news that Sazuko is dying.
11. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) demote them.
(b) promote them.
(c) sacrifice them.
(d) sell them.
12. What course of action does Yabu recommend?
(a) sending Blackthrone to Ishido.
(b) killing the couriers.
(c) declaring war.
(d) pretending to cooperate.
13. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to get a divorce.
(b) to try anew as husband and wife.
(c) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(d) to go their separate ways but stay married.
14. After purging his advisers, what does Toranaga do?
(a) he goes to his room to wait.
(b) he mounts an attack party.
(c) he moves in with his samurai.
(d) he calls for Blackthorne's advice.
15. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
2. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
3. Why does Omi's wife agree that the money is well spent?
4. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
5. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)