|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After purging his advisers, what does Toranaga do?
(a) he moves in with his samurai.
(b) he calls for Blackthorne's advice.
(c) he mounts an attack party.
(d) he goes to his room to wait.
2. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
(a) runs for cover.
(b) kills Ishido.
(c) takes the sword herself.
3. During the digging, what do the villagers express concern about?
(a) another earthquake.
(b) a possible war.
(c) rebuilding their houses.
(d) new taxes.
4. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
(a) that Mariko likes to stir up trouble.
(b) that Mariko was defying Toranaga's orders.
(c) that Mariko was acting on Toranaga's orders.
(d) that Mariko was trying to get Ishido to kill her.
5. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
(a) that she has higher rank than he does.
(b) that he fears Toranaga.
(c) that he plans to kill Blackthorne.
(d) that she is a hostage.
6. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
(a) he must be ready to sail at a moment's notice.
(b) he must return to Toranaga.
(c) he must sink the Erasmus.
(d) he must train Japanese crew members.
7. Why does Blackthorne threaten to commit suicide?
(a) the village is held responsible for his learning Japanese.
(b) he thinks he has no chance to learn Japanese.
(c) no one in the village will help him learn Japanese.
(d) he does not want to learn Japanese.
8. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
(a) it is in good condition.
(b) all his old crewmen are there.
(c) it is flying the Portuguese flag.
(d) the Portuguese rutter has been returned.
9. Who prevents Blackthorne from killing himself?
10. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) from selling off some of his property.
(b) out of her own personal fortune.
(c) from taxing the villagers.
(d) from money given by Toranaga.
11. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(b) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(c) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
(d) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
12. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
(a) with Rodrigues.
(b) in Blackthorne's house.
(c) with Mariko.
(d) in Yabu's house.
13. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) he is not ready to declare war.
(b) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(c) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(d) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
14. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(b) they are in a large house with servants.
(c) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(d) they have all been given Japanese wives.
15. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
(a) a suite in the palace and a valet.
(b) a house, servants, and a generous allowance.
(c) a small boat and a beach house.
(d) a different girl every night and beer to drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
2. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
3. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
4. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
5. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)