|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
(a) the birthday party for Ochiba.
(b) in Osaka.
(c) on board the galley.
(d) the meeting between Ishido and Yabu.
2. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
(b) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(c) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(d) he is not ready to declare war.
3. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
4. What interrupts the party?
(a) news that Toranaga is dying.
(b) news that Sazuko is dying.
(c) news that Toranaga is attacking.
(d) news that Yodoko is dying.
5. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
(a) the cost of rebuilding his house.
(b) the condition of the Erasmus.
(c) the danger of going out at night.
(d) the number of casualties.
6. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
(a) that he is available at the right price.
(b) that he is no longer barbarian.
(c) that he is taking Mariko with him when he leaves.
(d) that he knows Toranaga's plans.
7. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
(b) he must go to Osaka.
(c) he is free to go.
(d) he has been made a general.
8. Why does Omi's wife agree that the money is well spent?
(a) it might be repaid by Toranaga.
(b) it could lead to promotion.
(c) it shows his status in the world.
(d) it will impress the villagers.
9. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(b) he wants them to move.
(c) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(d) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
10. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
(a) the sword of the samurai.
(b) a falling spar.
(c) arrows come from a nearby fishing boat.
(d) a shot from Blackthorne's pistol.
11. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
(a) Hiro-matso's men.
(b) the Jesuits.
(c) Ishido's men.
(d) Toranaga's men.
12. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
(a) he refuses to leave the galley.
(b) he tenders his resignation as a council member.
(c) he has his own troops ready in ambush.
(d) he sends Yabu to speak for him.
13. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
(a) give his possessions to his son and commit seppuku.
(b) surrender his troops.
(c) kill all the foreigners in the country.
(d) join the council again.
14. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
(c) the Jesuits.
15. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
(a) it is under samurai guard.
(b) it is moved to a safe cove.
(c) it is sunk.
(d) it is re-armed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there someone always following Blackthorne?
2. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
3. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
4. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
5. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)