|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is on the Erasmus when Blackthorne arrives?
(a) Rodrigues and a samurai.
(b) Toranaga and Hiro-matsu.
(c) Vinck and the samurai on board.
(d) Father Sebastio and Alvito.
2. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
(b) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
(c) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(d) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
3. When does Fujiko sleep?
(a) only during the day.
(b) only when Blackthorne goes out.
(c) only when Blackthorne sleeps.
(d) only short cat naps.
4. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(b) to try anew as husband and wife.
(c) to get a divorce.
(d) to go their separate ways but stay married.
5. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) an earthquake.
(b) a cyclone.
(c) a volcano eruption.
(d) a tsunami.
6. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
(c) lame ducks.
7. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
(a) kills Ishido.
(c) takes the sword herself.
(d) runs for cover.
8. What does Mariko tell Blackthorne about the money Fujiko will spend from her own fortune?
(a) it will be repaid from his future earnings.
(b) it will bear no interest.
(c) it will be reembursed by Yabu.
(d) it will not be a loan.
9. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) sacrifice them.
(b) sell them.
(c) promote them.
(d) demote them.
10. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
(b) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(c) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(d) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
11. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
(a) that he is taking Mariko with him when he leaves.
(b) that he is available at the right price.
(c) that he knows Toranaga's plans.
(d) that he is no longer barbarian.
12. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
(a) give his possessions to his son and commit seppuku.
(b) surrender his troops.
(c) join the council again.
(d) kill all the foreigners in the country.
13. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) he is not ready to declare war.
(b) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(c) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(d) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
14. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
(a) an attack from the rear.
(b) an attack during the night.
(c) a three sided attack.
(d) an attack during the rainy season.
15. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) we are ready.
(b) we need them.
(c) there are none.
(d) send us money to buy them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
2. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
3. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
4. On her deathbed, what does Yodoko tell Ochiba she must do?
5. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)