|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) demote them.
(b) sell them.
(c) promote them.
(d) sacrifice them.
2. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
(b) he wants them to move.
(c) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(d) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
3. What course of action does Yabu recommend?
(a) killing the couriers.
(b) sending Blackthrone to Ishido.
(c) declaring war.
(d) pretending to cooperate.
4. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
5. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
(a) that they tell him everything they know.
(b) that they commit seppuku.
(c) that they swear allegiance.
(d) that they surrender their swords.
6. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(b) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
(c) he is not ready to declare war.
(d) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
7. Who prevents Blackthorne from killing himself?
8. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
(a) he wants to elevate it.
(b) he thinks it is on wrong.
(c) he needs it on his shoulders.
(d) he needs it in a basket.
9. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are in a large house with servants.
(b) they have all been given Japanese wives.
(c) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(d) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
10. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
11. Why does Omi's wife agree that the money is well spent?
(a) it might be repaid by Toranaga.
(b) it shows his status in the world.
(c) it will impress the villagers.
(d) it could lead to promotion.
12. Who interests Toranaga as a possible consort?
13. Who is Zataki?
(a) Buntaro's informant.
(b) Toranaga's half brother.
(c) Kiku's consort.
(d) Yabu's brother.
14. What precaution is taken for the Erasmus against a possible surprise attack from the sea?
(a) it is under samurai guard.
(b) it is re-armed.
(c) it is sunk.
(d) it is moved to a safe cove.
15. On her deathbed, what does Yodoko tell Ochiba she must do?
(a) admit who was the real father of Yaemon.
(b) marry Toranaga and put Yaemon in his care.
(c) take Yaemon and hide in the mountains.
(d) marry Ishido to save Yaemon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
2. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
3. Why is there someone always following Blackthorne?
4. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
5. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)