|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) sell them.
(b) demote them.
(c) promote them.
(d) sacrifice them.
2. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) a volcano eruption.
(b) a tsunami.
(c) an earthquake.
(d) a cyclone.
3. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
(a) that Ishido allowed them to leave.
(b) at the emotion shown by Ishido.
(c) that Blackthorne follows them out.
(d) at Yabu's public display of support.
4. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) from selling off some of his property.
(b) from taxing the villagers.
(c) out of her own personal fortune.
(d) from money given by Toranaga.
5. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
6. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
(a) some Portuguese.
(b) some samurai.
(c) some prisoners.
(d) some villagers.
7. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to go their separate ways but stay married.
(b) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(c) to try anew as husband and wife.
(d) to get a divorce.
8. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
(a) a tea house.
(b) the ship.
(c) Toranaga's house.
(d) the theater.
9. Where does Blackthorne ignore an insult from Ishido?
(a) the meeting between Ishido and Yabu.
(b) on board the galley.
(c) in Osaka.
(d) the birthday party for Ochiba.
10. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
(b) he is free to go.
(c) he has been made a general.
(d) he must go to Osaka.
11. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(b) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(c) he wants them to move.
(d) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
12. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) there are none.
(b) send us money to buy them.
(c) we need them.
(d) we are ready.
13. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
(b) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
(c) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(d) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
14. Why is there someone always following Blackthorne?
(a) for his protection.
(b) to guide him if he gets lost.
(c) to try and kidnap him.
(d) to spy on him.
15. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
(a) letters from Yaemon.
(b) a petition for him to return to the council.
(c) a tax bill.
(d) demands from Ishido.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
2. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
3. Who intercepts Mariko, Kiri, and Sazuko as they prepare to leave the palace walls?
4. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
5. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)