|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toranaga tell Gyoko about Kiku?
(a) he wants to give her to Buntaro.
(b) he wants to buy her contract for himself.
(c) he thinks she is Ishido's spy.
(d) he wants to give her to Blackthorne.
2. What perks does Blackthorne now enjoy?
(a) a different girl every night and beer to drink.
(b) a small boat and a beach house.
(c) a house, servants, and a generous allowance.
(d) a suite in the palace and a valet.
3. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
(a) Toranaga will be on Blackthorne's ship.
(b) he will defeat Blackthorne.
(c) Blackthorne will defeat him.
(d) the Jesuits will sabotage Blackthorne's ship.
4. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
(a) that they tell him everything they know.
(b) that they commit seppuku.
(c) that they surrender their swords.
(d) that they swear allegiance.
5. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
6. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could visit them.
(b) that he could return them to the ship.
(c) that he could send them back to Portugal.
(d) that he could bury them.
7. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
(a) that he is available at the right price.
(b) that he is taking Mariko with him when he leaves.
(c) that he is no longer barbarian.
(d) that he knows Toranaga's plans.
8. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
(a) that Mariko was acting on Toranaga's orders.
(b) that Mariko was defying Toranaga's orders.
(c) that Mariko was trying to get Ishido to kill her.
(d) that Mariko likes to stir up trouble.
9. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
(c) lame ducks.
10. What do couriers from Osaka bring to Toranaga?
(a) a tax bill.
(b) letters from Yaemon.
(c) a petition for him to return to the council.
(d) demands from Ishido.
11. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
12. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
(a) a three sided attack.
(b) an attack during the night.
(c) an attack during the rainy season.
(d) an attack from the rear.
13. What natural disaster helps Blackthorne understand the Japanese culture better?
(a) a cyclone.
(b) an earthquake.
(c) a tsunami.
(d) a volcano eruption.
14. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
(a) bribe the guards.
(b) send for assistance.
(c) go over to Ishido.
(d) commit seppuku.
15. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they have all been given Japanese wives.
(b) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(c) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(d) they are in a large house with servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
2. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
3. During the digging, what do the villagers express concern about?
4. What does Toranaga tell Hiro-matsu about his stated plan to go to Osaka?
5. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)