|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
(a) on board the Erasmus.
(b) in Mariko's house.
(c) waiting to see Toranaga.
(d) at his rebuilt house.
2. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
(a) it is flying the Portuguese flag.
(b) it is in good condition.
(c) the Portuguese rutter has been returned.
(d) all his old crewmen are there.
3. Who is on the Erasmus when Blackthorne arrives?
(a) Rodrigues and a samurai.
(b) Father Sebastio and Alvito.
(c) Toranaga and Hiro-matsu.
(d) Vinck and the samurai on board.
4. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) promote them.
(b) demote them.
(c) sacrifice them.
(d) sell them.
5. What is in the coded message to Blackthorne from Yabu?
(a) he must train Japanese crew members.
(b) he must be ready to sail at a moment's notice.
(c) he must return to Toranaga.
(d) he must sink the Erasmus.
6. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(b) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(c) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
(d) he wants them to move.
7. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to get a divorce.
(b) to try anew as husband and wife.
(c) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(d) to go their separate ways but stay married.
8. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
(a) whether everything is ready for the arrival.
(b) what time Yabu and Toranaga will arrive.
(c) it there is enough security in the village.
(d) how to plan a surprise for Toranaga.
9. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
(a) that of entertainer.
(b) that of geisha.
(c) that of tea server.
(d) that of madame.
10. As Mariko's men are being killed off, what does she do?
(a) takes the sword herself.
(b) runs for cover.
(d) kills Ishido.
11. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could send them back to Portugal.
(b) that he could bury them.
(c) that he could return them to the ship.
(d) that he could visit them.
12. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
(b) Ishido's ninja.
13. What response does Mura advise if the Holy Father asks about weapons?
(a) send us money to buy them.
(b) we need them.
(c) there are none.
(d) we are ready.
14. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
(a) the council cannot legally act with only four members.
(b) the surprise will confuse the other council members.
(c) he knows Yaemon will be displeased.
(d) he is not ready to declare war.
15. What does Mariko do when she sees the results of the ninja explosion?
(a) puches Blackthorne out a back door.
(b) throws her kimono on the flames.
(c) throws herself into it to avoid being taken alive.
(d) runs to save Kiku.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
2. Who is Zataki?
3. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
4. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
5. What does Blackthorne tell Ishido at the party?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)