|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
(a) they are in filth and crawling with lice.
(b) they are in a large house with servants.
(c) they are free to make improvements on their houses.
(d) they have all been given Japanese wives.
2. What is Mariko trying to goad Ishido into admitting?
(a) that he fears Toranaga.
(b) that he plans to kill Blackthorne.
(c) that she is a hostage.
(d) that she has higher rank than he does.
3. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
(a) the ship.
(b) the theater.
(c) a tea house.
(d) Toranaga's house.
4. After purging his advisers, what does Toranaga do?
(a) he moves in with his samurai.
(b) he goes to his room to wait.
(c) he calls for Blackthorne's advice.
(d) he mounts an attack party.
5. What did Toranaga lose during the earthquake?
(a) his swords.
(b) his horse.
(c) his uniform.
(d) his palace.
6. Where does Buntaro seek lodging when he comes with Toranaga?
(a) with Mariko.
(b) in Yabu's house.
(c) with Rodrigues.
(d) in Blackthorne's house.
7. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
(a) an attack during the rainy season.
(b) a three sided attack.
(c) an attack from the rear.
(d) an attack during the night.
8. Who prevents Blackthorne from killing himself?
9. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
(a) he will defeat Blackthorne.
(b) Toranaga will be on Blackthorne's ship.
(c) the Jesuits will sabotage Blackthorne's ship.
(d) Blackthorne will defeat him.
10. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
(c) Ishido's ninja.
11. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
(a) join the council again.
(b) kill all the foreigners in the country.
(c) surrender his troops.
(d) give his possessions to his son and commit seppuku.
12. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
(a) he has his own troops ready in ambush.
(b) he refuses to leave the galley.
(c) he sends Yabu to speak for him.
(d) he tenders his resignation as a council member.
13. Who interests Toranaga as a possible consort?
14. What does Yabu give Blackthorne?
(a) the canon taken from the Erasmus.
(b) the silver taken from the Erasmus.
(c) the rutter taken from the Erasmus.
(d) the muskets taken from the Erasmus.
15. What is a part of Toranaga's plan against Ishido?
(a) to appear to accept defeat.
(b) to pretend to commit seppuku.
(c) to offer a huge bribe to Ishido.
(d) to disguise himself as Goyoko.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Blackthorne threaten to commit suicide?
2. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
3. What position does Blackthorne occupy as long as he is in Japan?
4. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
5. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)