|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toranaga declare about Sudara?
(a) he is his sole heir.
(b) he is to marry his cousin.
(c) he is his heir together with his brother.
(d) he is no longer his heir.
2. What is a relief to Blackthorne when he is allowed to board the Erasmus?
(a) it is flying the Portuguese flag.
(b) the Portuguese rutter has been returned.
(c) it is in good condition.
(d) all his old crewmen are there.
3. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) sacrifice them.
(b) demote them.
(c) sell them.
(d) promote them.
4. What does Rodrigues know if there is a sea battle between his ship and Blackthorne's?
(a) Blackthorne will defeat him.
(b) the Jesuits will sabotage Blackthorne's ship.
(c) he will defeat Blackthorne.
(d) Toranaga will be on Blackthorne's ship.
5. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
(a) that Mariko was defying Toranaga's orders.
(b) that Mariko was acting on Toranaga's orders.
(c) that Mariko likes to stir up trouble.
(d) that Mariko was trying to get Ishido to kill her.
6. What does Toranaga demand of two of his advisers?
(a) that they commit seppuku.
(b) that they swear allegiance.
(c) that they tell him everything they know.
(d) that they surrender their swords.
7. What does Toranaga want in the scrolls Mariko delivers to Kiri and Sazuko?
(a) he wants Kiri to meet Blackthorne.
(b) he wants them to move.
(c) he wants Sazuko to have more children.
(d) he wants to see Sazuko's child.
8. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
(b) the Jesuits.
9. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
(a) at his rebuilt house.
(b) on board the Erasmus.
(c) waiting to see Toranaga.
(d) in Mariko's house.
10. Who does Mura send to dig for what Toranaga lost in the earthquake?
(a) some villagers.
(b) some Portuguese.
(c) some samurai.
(d) some prisoners.
11. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
(a) kill all the foreigners in the country.
(b) give his possessions to his son and commit seppuku.
(c) join the council again.
(d) surrender his troops.
12. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
(a) if he does not, he will be beheaded.
(b) if he does not, the entire village will be beheaded.
(c) if he does not, he will be sent to Spain as a spy.
(d) if he does not, Mirako will be beheaded.
13. Who is on the Erasmus when Blackthorne arrives?
(a) Father Sebastio and Alvito.
(b) Vinck and the samurai on board.
(c) Toranaga and Hiro-matsu.
(d) Rodrigues and a samurai.
14. What is the tactical surprise Toranaga contemplates against his enemies?
(a) an attack during the night.
(b) an attack from the rear.
(c) a three sided attack.
(d) an attack during the rainy season.
15. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
(a) he tenders his resignation as a council member.
(b) he sends Yabu to speak for him.
(c) he refuses to leave the galley.
(d) he has his own troops ready in ambush.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kills the messenger Blackthorne is talking to on board the Erasmus?
2. As Yabu and Toranaga head for the village, what are Omi and Mura discussing?
3. Who prevents Blackthorne from killing himself?
4. What interrupts the party?
5. What honor does Toranaga grant Blackthorne?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)