|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blackthorne suggest Toranaga intends to do with him and Mariko?
(a) sell them.
(b) sacrifice them.
(c) promote them.
(d) demote them.
2. What confidence does Toranaga appear to have in Hiro-matsu?
(a) that he doubts him.
(b) that he is a true friend.
(c) that he needs his advice.
(d) that he trusts him.
3. What interrupts the party?
(a) news that Sazuko is dying.
(b) news that Yodoko is dying.
(c) news that Toranaga is attacking.
(d) news that Toranaga is dying.
4. How will Fujiko pay for the reconstruction of Blackthorne's house if his finances are insufficient?
(a) from money given by Toranaga.
(b) out of her own personal fortune.
(c) from taxing the villagers.
(d) from selling off some of his property.
5. Where is Blackthorne when Yabu arrives to see him?
(a) in Mariko's house.
(b) at his rebuilt house.
(c) waiting to see Toranaga.
(d) on board the Erasmus.
6. How does Toranaga attempt to make peace between Buntaro and Mariko?
(a) giving Buntaro a fiefdom.
(b) having Buntaro apologize to Mariko.
(c) giving Mariko a financial settlement.
(d) having Buntaro spend the night with Mariko.
7. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
(a) at Yabu's public display of support.
(b) that Blackthorne follows them out.
(c) at the emotion shown by Ishido.
(d) that Ishido allowed them to leave.
8. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
(a) if he does not, he will be sent to Spain as a spy.
(b) if he does not, he will be beheaded.
(c) if he does not, the entire village will be beheaded.
(d) if he does not, Mirako will be beheaded.
9. What course of action does Yabu recommend?
(a) sending Blackthrone to Ishido.
(b) killing the couriers.
(c) pretending to cooperate.
(d) declaring war.
10. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
(a) he wants to elevate it.
(b) he needs it on his shoulders.
(c) he thinks it is on wrong.
(d) he needs it in a basket.
11. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he must go to Osaka.
(b) he is free to go.
(c) he has been made a general.
(d) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
12. What gift does Rodrigues give Blackthorne that makes him suspicious?
(a) a history of the Jesuits in Japan.
(b) a dictionary of Portuguese to Japanese language.
(c) a copy of the Bible in English.
(d) a newly copied rutter.
13. What agreement do Buntaro and Mariko come to?
(a) to put on a public display as husband and wife.
(b) to go their separate ways but stay married.
(c) to get a divorce.
(d) to try anew as husband and wife.
14. What honor does Toranaga grant Blackthorne?
(a) a fifedom.
(b) a brace of pistols.
(c) a wife.
(d) two swords.
15. How does Toranaga handle the situation with the large number of samurai on the beach when he arrives?
(a) he tenders his resignation as a council member.
(b) he refuses to leave the galley.
(c) he sends Yabu to speak for him.
(d) he has his own troops ready in ambush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has possession of the Erasmus?
2. What is the new class of young ladies that Gyoko suggests?
3. What are the living conditions of Blackthorne's crew?
4. Who is Zataki?
5. What does Mariko tell Blackthorne about the money Fujiko will spend from her own fortune?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)