|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimatum is given Blackthorne about his learning the language?
(a) if he does not, he will be sent to Spain as a spy.
(b) if he does not, the entire village will be beheaded.
(c) if he does not, he will be beheaded.
(d) if he does not, Mirako will be beheaded.
2. When they next meet, what does Blackthorne tell Mariko he understood at the party?
(a) that Mariko was trying to get Ishido to kill her.
(b) that Mariko was acting on Toranaga's orders.
(c) that Mariko likes to stir up trouble.
(d) that Mariko was defying Toranaga's orders.
3. On her deathbed, what does Yodoko tell Ochiba she must do?
(a) marry Toranaga and put Yaemon in his care.
(b) admit who was the real father of Yaemon.
(c) marry Ishido to save Yaemon.
(d) take Yaemon and hide in the mountains.
4. What concerns Blackthorne after the earthquake?
(a) the cost of rebuilding his house.
(b) the danger of going out at night.
(c) the number of casualties.
(d) the condition of the Erasmus.
5. What has Toranga been ordered to do?
(a) give his possessions to his son and commit seppuku.
(b) surrender his troops.
(c) kill all the foreigners in the country.
(d) join the council again.
6. When Mariko is unable to leave as ordered by Toranaga, what does she plan to do?
(a) go over to Ishido.
(b) commit seppuku.
(c) send for assistance.
(d) bribe the guards.
7. What interrupts the party?
(a) news that Yodoko is dying.
(b) news that Sazuko is dying.
(c) news that Toranaga is attacking.
(d) news that Toranaga is dying.
8. What permission does Toranaga give Blackthorne about his crew?
(a) that he could visit them.
(b) that he could return them to the ship.
(c) that he could send them back to Portugal.
(d) that he could bury them.
9. What demand does Toranaga make of his son to prove his fidelity?
(a) to put his head on a chopping block.
(b) to swear on the heads of his children.
(c) to divorce his wife.
(d) to slaughter his four children.
10. What does Toranaga say to Buntaro about Blackthorne's head.
(a) he wants to elevate it.
(b) he thinks it is on wrong.
(c) he needs it on his shoulders.
(d) he needs it in a basket.
11. What did Toranaga lose during the earthquake?
(a) his swords.
(b) his horse.
(c) his uniform.
(d) his palace.
12. Who does Toranaga send for to come to his quarters?
13. What news does Yabu have for Blackthorne?
(a) he cannot sail the Erasmus.
(b) he has been made a general.
(c) he is free to go.
(d) he must go to Osaka.
14. What does Blackthorne say that he and Mariko are to Toranaga?
(d) lame ducks.
15. Who is with Mariko when she dies?
(a) Ishido's ninja.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Fujiko sleep?
2. Why is Toranaga clever to resign from the council?
3. What surprises Mariko when she leaves with Yabu?
4. Where does Blackthorne go to meet Kiku?
5. What has Omi done in preparation for the arrival of Toranaga and Yabu?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)