|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) since the revolution.
(b) for twenty years.
(c) for ten years.
(d) since he was fifteen.
2. What lie does Blackthorne continue to tell?
(a) that he comes from Argentina.
(b) that his fleet is coming.
(c) that he is only a deckhand.
(d) that the Erasmus is a British ship.
3. What does Domingo teach Blackthorne?
(a) some Biblical history.
(b) some words and phrases in Japanese.
(c) how to keep warm in the cell.
(d) how to plan an escape.
4. What praise does Rodrigues give the Japanese sailors?
(a) they are very polite to the pilot.
(b) they row far past what a normal man would endure.
(c) they never disobey orders.
(d) they work very cheaply.
5. On the way to Osaka, what does Blackthorne do while Rodrigues naps?
(a) tries to escape.
(b) talks to the priest.
(c) watches Yabu.
(d) pilots the galley.
6. After a few skirmishes, where does Blackthorne end up?
(a) with the shōgun.
(b) with Yabu.
(c) facing the emperor.
(d) on board the Erasmus.
7. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
(a) to confiscate the ship for himself.
(b) to destroy the erasmus.
(c) to confiscate the goods and the ship for Toranga.
(d) to remove the canons from the ship.
8. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
(a) Martin Alvito
9. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
(a) by palanquin.
(b) by camel.
(c) by ship.
(d) by caravan.
10. Who comes to take Blackthorne from the pit?
(a) a courtesan.
(b) a priest.
(c) Yabu himself.
(d) a young boy.
11. Who does Blackthorne meet in prison?
(a) a Friar named Domingo.
(b) Father Sebastio.
(c) some of his old crewmen.
(d) the grandson of Hiro-matsu.
12. What does Domingo say about the prisoners in the place where he and Blackthorne are?
(a) they will all be released.
(b) they will be used as medical experiments.
(c) they are all condemned to die.
(d) they will soon be forgotten.
13. How does Rodrigues begin to feel about Blackthorne?
(a) he suspects he is a spy for Toranga.
(b) he begins to suspect he is not a pilot.
(c) he likes him and plans to help him.
(d) he likes him but suspects he is a danger to him.
14. Who arrives and almost puts an end to the ruse Toranaga uses for his getaway?
(b) Father Sebastio.
15. What does Yabu find on the Erasmus?
(a) dynamite, fuses, water mines, and wine.
(b) rum, Chinese silks, coconuts, and bananas.
(c) muskets, gold, silver, plate, coins, and fancy clothing.
(d) stowaways and maps of the Pacific Ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
2. Why is Toranaga concerned about Martin Alvito?
3. What does Blackthorne suspect about the daimyo, Kasigi Yabu, Lord of Izu?
4. How is the Englishman killed?
5. Why does Hiro-matsu request permission to commit seppuku?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)