Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blackthorne want to do?
(a) apply for Rodriguez's job.
(b) search the coastline for Rodrigues.
(c) take command of the galley.
(d) escape during the confusion.
2. What does Domingo say about the prisoners in the place where he and Blackthorne are?
(a) they will soon be forgotten.
(b) they will be used as medical experiments.
(c) they will all be released.
(d) they are all condemned to die.
3. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
(a) recruiting an army.
(b) entertaining Blackthorne.
(c) preparing for an execution.
(d) unloading the Erasmus.
4. Why is Toranaga concerned about Martin Alvito?
(a) he is too close to the Jesuits.
(b) he is not sure he translates correctly.
(c) he has shifty eyes.
(d) he thinks a long time before translating.
5. On the way to Osaka, what does Blackthorne do while Rodrigues naps?
(a) pilots the galley.
(b) watches Yabu.
(c) tries to escape.
(d) talks to the priest.
6. What does the first priest indicate when he arrives where Blackthorne is held prisoner?
(a) that Blackthorne is the lone survivor of the wreck.
(b) that Blackthorne is going to die.
(c) that Blackthorne is safe because of his golden hair.
(d) that Blackthorne will become a slave.
7. Why does Toranaga deny the young widow the privilege of committing seppuku?
(a) because she is young and will have more children.
(b) because she is the sister of the shōgun.
(c) because it is not allowed of women.
(d) because he wants her to be publicly punished.
8. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
(a) he is still unconscious.
(b) he is delirious.
(c) he is conscious.
(d) he is dead.
9. Why does Ishido Kazunari insult Toranaga?
(a) to precipitate a change in government.
(b) to see how he will react.
(c) to challenge his samurai.
(d) to have an excuse for killing him.
10. What has Yabu decided to do against direct orders.
(a) sink the Erasmus.
(b) remain in Yedo.
(c) go directly to the shōgun.
(d) not to kill any of the Englishmen.
11. What does Blackthorne do when he realizes he is not going to be executed?
(a) a series of back flips.
(b) makes an offering to the priest.
(c) goes to his room and yells.
(d) a hornpipe dance.
12. How is Rodrigues found the morning after the storm?
(a) dead and mangled at the bottom of a cliff.
(b) floating face down in the surf at the bottom of a cliff.
(c) barely alive at the bottom of a cliff.
(d) alive and well at the bottom of a cliff.
13. What question comes to mind when Blackthorne almost falls off the galley while Rodrigues is piloting?
(a) if Rodriguez really knows what he is doing.
(b) if the galley will make it to Osaka.
(c) if a sudden lurch was planned to get rid of Blackthorne.
(d) if Blackthrone could survive overboard.
14. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
(a) to destroy the erasmus.
(b) to confiscate the ship for himself.
(c) to remove the canons from the ship.
(d) to confiscate the goods and the ship for Toranga.
15. What happens when Mariko's husband, Buntaro, is trapped at the end of the jetty?
(a) he launches a bomb that blows up the jetty.
(b) he prepares to kill himself.
(c) Rodrigues shows up to rescue him.
(d) he jumps into the ocean and swims away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
2. How does Toranaga leave the palace in Osaka?
3. How does Blackthorne realize he is not going to be executed?
4. What is the position of Toda Hiro-matsu?
5. What does Rodrigues believe is in the delivery to Toranaga?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)