|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Toranaga leave the palace in Osaka?
(a) disguised as a gardener.
(b) disguised as a priest.
(c) disguised as a samurai.
(d) disguised as a woman.
2. What is Blackthorne's position before the wreck of the Erasmus?
(a) captain of the Santa Theresa.
(b) pilot-major of the trading ship Erasmus.
(c) translator for the British.
(d) navigator of the Omi.
3. How does Buntaro escape death?
(a) Toranaga's men ambush the soldiers.
(b) Rodrigues's galley comes close enough for him to swim.
(c) Toranaga sends him a horse and orders him to safety.
(d) the soldiers begin to slip and fall off the jetty.
4. What causes Yabu to defy orders?
(a) his plan to become the shōgun.
(b) the potential for riches aboard Blackthorne's ship.
(c) his devotion to his wife.
(d) the onslaught of winter.
5. How is Rodrigues found the morning after the storm?
(a) barely alive at the bottom of a cliff.
(b) floating face down in the surf at the bottom of a cliff.
(c) alive and well at the bottom of a cliff.
(d) dead and mangled at the bottom of a cliff.
6. How does Blackthorne realize he is not going to be executed?
(a) they take him out of the prison courtyard.
(b) they tell him in Portuguese.
(c) they give him a musket.
(d) they give him a bath and new clothes.
7. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
(a) that he is being saved.
(b) that he is going to his death.
(c) that they finally know how to pronounce his name.
(d) that someone is there to help him escape.
8. What does Yabu find on the Erasmus?
(a) rum, Chinese silks, coconuts, and bananas.
(b) muskets, gold, silver, plate, coins, and fancy clothing.
(c) dynamite, fuses, water mines, and wine.
(d) stowaways and maps of the Pacific Ocean.
9. What does Rodrigues believe is in the delivery to Toranaga?
(a) Blackthorne's rutters.
(b) orders to kill Blackthorne.
(c) maps from the Erasmus.
(d) a catechism written in Japanese.
10. During the trip on the galley, how does the weather change?
(a) the sea becomes calm.
(b) it begins to snow.
(c) a storm comes up.
(d) the clouds hide the stars.
11. What is Blackthorne looking for when he manages to return to his ship?
(a) the rutter.
(b) the rubber.
(c) the ribber.
(d) the rudder.
12. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
(a) the young widow of Hiro-matsu's grandson.
(b) Yaemon's mother, Ochiba.
(c) his chief consort.
13. What does Blackthorne admit to Toranaga about the war between Spain and Holland?
(a) that religious differences are a ridiculous reason for war.
(b) that he never participated in it.
(c) that it has nothing to do with him.
(d) that it will soon spread to Japan.
14. What does Blackthorne do when he realizes he is not going to be executed?
(a) makes an offering to the priest.
(b) a hornpipe dance.
(c) a series of back flips.
(d) goes to his room and yells.
15. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
(a) he is dead.
(b) he is still unconscious.
(c) he is conscious.
(d) he is delirious.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kiri divert attention from Toranaga as they make their escape?
2. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
3. How does Blackthorne divert attention from Toranaga in the palanquin?
4. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
5. How do Blackthorne and his men determine which of them will be executed?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)