|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Toranaga worry about Blackthorne?
(a) he fears that many people will try to kill him.
(b) he thinks Blackthorne is a god.
(c) he is not sure he told the truth.
(d) he thinks Blackthorne is an assassin.
2. Before the storm, who comes on deck to see Blackthorne piloting the ship while Rodrigues sleeps?
(a) Hiro-matsu and Yabu.
(b) Toranaga and Yabu.
(c) a priest and Yabu.
(d) Hiro-matsu and Father Sebastio.
3. Although he treats Blackthorne well, what does Mura believe?
(a) that he will become a slave of the shōgun.
(b) that the samurai will chop off his head.
(c) that he will be forced to fight a samurai.
(d) that the daimyo will order Blackthorne's execution.
4. How does Blackthorne realize he is not going to be executed?
(a) they give him a bath and new clothes.
(b) they give him a musket.
(c) they tell him in Portuguese.
(d) they take him out of the prison courtyard.
5. Why is Blackthorne suddenly being treated well?
(a) on orders from Toranaga.
(b) on orders from Ishido.
(c) because he has the map.
(d) because he tells the truth.
6. What offer does Rodrigues make to Blackthorne?
(a) to put in a good word for him.
(b) to help him escape.
(c) to copy his rutters.
(d) to make him his first mate.
7. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
(a) he is delirious.
(b) he is still unconscious.
(c) he is conscious.
(d) he is dead.
8. What happens when Mariko's husband, Buntaro, is trapped at the end of the jetty?
(a) Rodrigues shows up to rescue him.
(b) he prepares to kill himself.
(c) he launches a bomb that blows up the jetty.
(d) he jumps into the ocean and swims away.
9. How does Kiri divert attention from Toranaga as they make their escape?
(a) she shouts for care to be taken of Sazuko who has fallen.
(b) she screams that she is going into labor.
(c) she does a dance for the soldiers to see.
(d) she sets fire to her kimono.
10. Why is Toranaga concerned about Martin Alvito?
(a) he has shifty eyes.
(b) he thinks a long time before translating.
(c) he is not sure he translates correctly.
(d) he is too close to the Jesuits.
11. What has Toranaga learned about his situation?
(a) he is alone against the other four regents.
(b) he has solid support of the other four regents.
(c) he is scheduled to be executed.
(d) he has developed a terminal illness.
12. Who arrives and almost puts an end to the ruse Toranaga uses for his getaway?
(a) Father Sebastio.
13. Why does Toranaga deny the young widow the privilege of committing seppuku?
(a) because he wants her to be publicly punished.
(b) because it is not allowed of women.
(c) because she is the sister of the shōgun.
(d) because she is young and will have more children.
14. How does Buntaro escape death?
(a) the soldiers begin to slip and fall off the jetty.
(b) Toranaga's men ambush the soldiers.
(c) Toranaga sends him a horse and orders him to safety.
(d) Rodrigues's galley comes close enough for him to swim.
15. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
(a) by palanquin.
(b) by camel.
(c) by ship.
(d) by caravan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
2. Why does Blackthorne bow to Yabu?
3. What does the first priest indicate when he arrives where Blackthorne is held prisoner?
4. What order does Toda Hiro-matsu issue?
5. What question comes to mind when Blackthorne almost falls off the galley while Rodrigues is piloting?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)