|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the storm, who comes on deck to see Blackthorne piloting the ship while Rodrigues sleeps?
(a) Toranaga and Yabu.
(b) a priest and Yabu.
(c) Hiro-matsu and Yabu.
(d) Hiro-matsu and Father Sebastio.
2. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
(a) he lights fires on the galley to look like it is burning.
(b) he flies a Gray flag on the galley.
(c) he changes the direction of the galley.
(d) he sees an opportunity to go past the frigate.
3. Where does Blackthorne find himself once again?
(a) on Rodrigues's galley.
(b) on the Erasmus.
(c) in a cramped prison cell
(d) in front of Toranaga.
4. What color signifies Toranaga's warriors?
5. What has Toranaga learned about his situation?
(a) he is scheduled to be executed.
(b) he is alone against the other four regents.
(c) he has developed a terminal illness.
(d) he has solid support of the other four regents.
6. On the way to Osaka, what does Blackthorne do while Rodrigues naps?
(a) tries to escape.
(b) watches Yabu.
(c) pilots the galley.
(d) talks to the priest.
7. Why do many guards die on the way to the ship?
(a) they are attacked by archers.
(b) they fall into the water.
(c) they are attacked by tigers.
(d) they are attacked by peasants.
8. Why does Toranaga deny the young widow the privilege of committing seppuku?
(a) because he wants her to be publicly punished.
(b) because it is not allowed of women.
(c) because she is young and will have more children.
(d) because she is the sister of the shōgun.
9. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
(b) Martin Alvito
10. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
(a) to confiscate the goods and the ship for Toranga.
(b) to destroy the erasmus.
(c) to remove the canons from the ship.
(d) to confiscate the ship for himself.
11. What does Rodrigues consider doing with Blackthorne?
(a) partnering with him.
(b) hiding him.
(c) helping him with Toranga.
(d) killing him.
12. When Blackthorne wakes up and finds everyone swimming, what is Toranaga wanting to do?
(a) learn how to dive.
(b) hurry on to land.
(c) catch some fish.
(d) learn English.
13. How is Rodrigues found the morning after the storm?
(a) floating face down in the surf at the bottom of a cliff.
(b) dead and mangled at the bottom of a cliff.
(c) barely alive at the bottom of a cliff.
(d) alive and well at the bottom of a cliff.
14. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
(a) they will be deported.
(b) they must become slaves.
(c) one of them must kill the others.
(d) one of them must die.
15. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
(a) by palanquin.
(b) by camel.
(c) by caravan.
(d) by ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Satisfied Blackthorne is not an enemy, what does Friar Dominga tell Blackthorne?
2. How is the Englishman killed?
3. Why does Hiro-matsu request permission to commit seppuku?
4. What prevents the ship from moving once Toranaga and his party are on board?
5. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)