|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to take Blackthorne from the pit?
(a) a young boy.
(b) a courtesan.
(c) Yabu himself.
(d) a priest.
2. What prevents the ship from moving once Toranaga and his party are on board?
(a) the ship cannot weigh anchor.
(b) the ship is blockaded in by fishing boats all armed with samurai.
(c) the Erasmus is blocking their way.
(d) the ship is taking on water fast.
3. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) for twenty years.
(b) since he was fifteen.
(c) for ten years.
(d) since the revolution.
4. When Blackthorne wakes up and finds everyone swimming, what is Toranaga wanting to do?
(a) hurry on to land.
(b) learn how to dive.
(c) catch some fish.
(d) learn English.
5. What color signifies Toranaga's warriors?
6. What does Domingo say about the prisoners in the place where he and Blackthorne are?
(a) they are all condemned to die.
(b) they will all be released.
(c) they will soon be forgotten.
(d) they will be used as medical experiments.
7. What offer does Rodrigues make to Blackthorne?
(a) to help him escape.
(b) to make him his first mate.
(c) to copy his rutters.
(d) to put in a good word for him.
8. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
(a) they will be deported.
(b) one of them must die.
(c) one of them must kill the others.
(d) they must become slaves.
9. What happens when Mariko's husband, Buntaro, is trapped at the end of the jetty?
(a) he jumps into the ocean and swims away.
(b) he prepares to kill himself.
(c) he launches a bomb that blows up the jetty.
(d) Rodrigues shows up to rescue him.
10. What is Blackthorne looking for when he manages to return to his ship?
(a) the rutter.
(b) the rudder.
(c) the ribber.
(d) the rubber.
11. What has Yabu decided to do against direct orders.
(a) sink the Erasmus.
(b) go directly to the shōgun.
(c) not to kill any of the Englishmen.
(d) remain in Yedo.
12. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
(a) it was made by Blackthorne.
(b) it belonged to the first mate.
(c) it was bought from the French.
(d) it was stolen from the Portuguese.
13. What does Blackthorne want to do?
(a) apply for Rodriguez's job.
(b) escape during the confusion.
(c) take command of the galley.
(d) search the coastline for Rodrigues.
14. Why is it dangerous for Toranaga, disguised as Kiri, to reach for the scroll Ishido brings?
(a) the palanquin might tip over.
(b) his hand will give him away.
(c) his voice will give him away.
(d) women must not take anything from a man.
15. How does Blackthorne show his contempt for Father Sabastio?
(a) by making faces behind his back.
(b) by snatching and breaking his crucifix.
(c) by refusing to speak to him.
(d) by shouting at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Yabu is telling Omi that the next battle will be fought at sea, what does he see entering the bay?
2. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
3. Who knows the true story of the death of Obata Hiro and Toranaga's grandfather?
4. Why does Hiro-matsu request permission to commit seppuku?
5. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)