|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men given to eat?
(a) wilted cabbage.
(c) putrid fish.
(d) uncooked rice.
2. Satisfied Blackthorne is not an enemy, what does Friar Dominga tell Blackthorne?
(a) about Spanish priests.
(b) about Spanish ships.
(c) about Spanish cuisine.
(d) about Spanish gold.
3. What is Blackthorne looking for when he manages to return to his ship?
(a) the rudder.
(b) the rutter.
(c) the ribber.
(d) the rubber.
4. What does Blackthorne admit to Toranaga about the war between Spain and Holland?
(a) that religious differences are a ridiculous reason for war.
(b) that it will soon spread to Japan.
(c) that it has nothing to do with him.
(d) that he never participated in it.
5. Why is Toranaga concerned about Martin Alvito?
(a) he has shifty eyes.
(b) he is not sure he translates correctly.
(c) he thinks a long time before translating.
(d) he is too close to the Jesuits.
6. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
(a) it was bought from the French.
(b) it was made by Blackthorne.
(c) it was stolen from the Portuguese.
(d) it belonged to the first mate.
7. What has Toranaga learned about his situation?
(a) he is alone against the other four regents.
(b) he is scheduled to be executed.
(c) he has solid support of the other four regents.
(d) he has developed a terminal illness.
8. How is the Englishman killed?
(a) in the boiling sun.
(b) in boiling water.
(c) in boiling butter.
(d) in boiling oil.
9. How does Kiri divert attention from Toranaga as they make their escape?
(a) she sets fire to her kimono.
(b) she screams that she is going into labor.
(c) she does a dance for the soldiers to see.
(d) she shouts for care to be taken of Sazuko who has fallen.
10. What does Blackthorne do when he realizes he is not going to be executed?
(a) a series of back flips.
(b) goes to his room and yells.
(c) a hornpipe dance.
(d) makes an offering to the priest.
11. Who comes to take Blackthorne from the pit?
(a) a young boy.
(b) a courtesan.
(c) a priest.
(d) Yabu himself.
12. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
(a) the young widow of Hiro-matsu's grandson.
(b) Yaemon's mother, Ochiba.
(c) his chief consort.
13. What is the position of Toda Hiro-matsu?
(a) he is Toranga's rival.
(b) he is Toranga's adviser.
(c) he is the provencial governor.
(d) he is the shōgun's general.
14. What history does Domingo tell Blackthorne about?
(a) the rise and fall of the shōguns.
(b) the religion of the Japanese.
(c) traders who came to Japan over a century ago.
(d) the migration of the Japanese from mainland Asia.
15. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
(a) unloading the Erasmus.
(b) recruiting an army.
(c) preparing for an execution.
(d) entertaining Blackthorne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the pilot of the galley that will take Blackthorne to Osaka?
2. Although he treats Blackthorne well, what does Mura believe?
3. Why does Omi, nephew of Yabu, advise that the men from the shipwreck not be killed?
4. What does Rodrigues believe is in the delivery to Toranaga?
5. How does Blackthorne realize he is not going to be executed?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)