|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the first priest indicate when he arrives where Blackthorne is held prisoner?
(a) that Blackthorne is the lone survivor of the wreck.
(b) that Blackthorne is going to die.
(c) that Blackthorne will become a slave.
(d) that Blackthorne is safe because of his golden hair.
2. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
(a) one of them must die.
(b) they will be deported.
(c) one of them must kill the others.
(d) they must become slaves.
3. Why does Blackthorne bow to Yabu?
(a) for his superior air.
(b) for his allowing Blackthorne to save Rodrigues.
(c) for his bravery in saving the life of Rodrigues.
(d) to beg for his life.
4. What history does Domingo tell Blackthorne about?
(a) the rise and fall of the shōguns.
(b) traders who came to Japan over a century ago.
(c) the migration of the Japanese from mainland Asia.
(d) the religion of the Japanese.
5. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
(a) by camel.
(b) by ship.
(c) by palanquin.
(d) by caravan.
6. What praise does Rodrigues give the Japanese sailors?
(a) they row far past what a normal man would endure.
(b) they never disobey orders.
(c) they are very polite to the pilot.
(d) they work very cheaply.
7. Who does Suwa know plans to kill Yabu one day?
(a) Father Sabastio.
(d) Su, the uncle of Yabu's enemy, Ikawa Jikkyu.
8. Why is Toranaga concerned about Martin Alvito?
(a) he thinks a long time before translating.
(b) he has shifty eyes.
(c) he is too close to the Jesuits.
(d) he is not sure he translates correctly.
9. What does Rodrigues consider doing with Blackthorne?
(a) helping him with Toranga.
(b) killing him.
(c) partnering with him.
(d) hiding him.
10. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) since the revolution.
(b) for ten years.
(c) for twenty years.
(d) since he was fifteen.
11. How does Buntaro escape death?
(a) Rodrigues's galley comes close enough for him to swim.
(b) Toranaga sends him a horse and orders him to safety.
(c) the soldiers begin to slip and fall off the jetty.
(d) Toranaga's men ambush the soldiers.
12. Why does Toranaga not take the galley for his escape?
(a) it cannot out maneuver the ship.
(b) it is in dry dock.
(c) it is being repaired.
(d) it is filled with Gray samurai.
13. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
(a) to remove the canons from the ship.
(b) to confiscate the ship for himself.
(c) to confiscate the goods and the ship for Toranga.
(d) to destroy the erasmus.
14. What lie does Blackthorne continue to tell?
(a) that his fleet is coming.
(b) that he comes from Argentina.
(c) that the Erasmus is a British ship.
(d) that he is only a deckhand.
15. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
(c) Martin Alvito
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Blackthorne divert attention from Toranaga in the palanquin?
2. What is the difference between the Erasmus and the galley headed to Osaka?
3. Who arrives and almost puts an end to the ruse Toranaga uses for his getaway?
4. What has Toranaga learned about his situation?
5. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)