|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rodrigues carrying for Father Sebastio?
(a) a letter.
(b) a sealed package.
(c) a donation to Toranga.
(d) a crate of sake.
2. Who sees Blackthorne as dangerous because of his information?
(a) the shōgun.
(c) the church.
3. What prevents the ship from moving once Toranaga and his party are on board?
(a) the ship is taking on water fast.
(b) the ship cannot weigh anchor.
(c) the ship is blockaded in by fishing boats all armed with samurai.
(d) the Erasmus is blocking their way.
4. What are the men given to eat?
(b) putrid fish.
(c) uncooked rice.
(d) wilted cabbage.
5. Who does Blackthorne meet in prison?
(a) a Friar named Domingo.
(b) Father Sebastio.
(c) the grandson of Hiro-matsu.
(d) some of his old crewmen.
6. Why is it dangerous for Toranaga, disguised as Kiri, to reach for the scroll Ishido brings?
(a) the palanquin might tip over.
(b) his hand will give him away.
(c) his voice will give him away.
(d) women must not take anything from a man.
7. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
(a) by ship.
(b) by palanquin.
(c) by camel.
(d) by caravan.
8. What order does Toda Hiro-matsu issue?
(a) that Blackthorne be sent to Osaka alone.
(b) that Yabu keeps Blackthorne in his house.
(c) that Yabu be executed.
(d) that Yabu return with Blackthorne to Osaka
9. How does the galley get safely into the harbor?
(a) the storm ceases.
(b) a freak wind saves it.
(c) another galley comes to haul it.
(d) Blackthorne pilots it.
10. Before the storm, who comes on deck to see Blackthorne piloting the ship while Rodrigues sleeps?
(a) Hiro-matsu and Yabu.
(b) Hiro-matsu and Father Sebastio.
(c) Toranaga and Yabu.
(d) a priest and Yabu.
11. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
(b) his chief consort.
(c) the young widow of Hiro-matsu's grandson.
(d) Yaemon's mother, Ochiba.
12. What is the difference between the Erasmus and the galley headed to Osaka?
(a) the Erasmus is built for the rough weather.
(b) the Erasmus is much larger than the galley.
(c) the Erasmus has oars but the galley does not.
(d) the galley is more rugged than the Erasmus.
13. What happens when Mariko's husband, Buntaro, is trapped at the end of the jetty?
(a) he jumps into the ocean and swims away.
(b) he launches a bomb that blows up the jetty.
(c) Rodrigues shows up to rescue him.
(d) he prepares to kill himself.
14. What does Yabu find on the Erasmus?
(a) stowaways and maps of the Pacific Ocean.
(b) muskets, gold, silver, plate, coins, and fancy clothing.
(c) dynamite, fuses, water mines, and wine.
(d) rum, Chinese silks, coconuts, and bananas.
15. What is Blackthorne's position before the wreck of the Erasmus?
(a) navigator of the Omi.
(b) captain of the Santa Theresa.
(c) pilot-major of the trading ship Erasmus.
(d) translator for the British.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
2. Why do many guards die on the way to the ship?
3. What prevents Rodrigues from breaking the seal on the thing he is delivering to Toranaga?
4. How does Kiri divert attention from Toranaga as they make their escape?
5. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)