|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Toranaga worry about Blackthorne?
(a) he thinks Blackthorne is an assassin.
(b) he is not sure he told the truth.
(c) he fears that many people will try to kill him.
(d) he thinks Blackthorne is a god.
2. What does Rodrigues believe is in the delivery to Toranaga?
(a) Blackthorne's rutters.
(b) orders to kill Blackthorne.
(c) a catechism written in Japanese.
(d) maps from the Erasmus.
3. What happens to Rodrigues during the storm?
(a) his safety line snaps and he is washed overboard.
(b) he becomes too ill to pilot the galley.
(c) he misses his chance to kill Blackthorne.
(d) he has a religious experience.
4. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
(a) he is delirious.
(b) he is still unconscious.
(c) he is conscious.
(d) he is dead.
5. How does Toranaga leave the palace in Osaka?
(a) disguised as a samurai.
(b) disguised as a gardener.
(c) disguised as a priest.
(d) disguised as a woman.
6. What is the subject matter of the Prologue?
(a) the conflict between the Jesuits and the Dutch.
(b) the promotion of Blackthorne to captain.
(c) the warnings from the Japanese about invaders.
(d) the storm that sends the ship to land at Japan.
7. What causes Toranaga to have trouble sleeping?
(a) he is thinking about many problems he faces.
(b) he fears assassination.
(c) his wife snores.
(d) his bed it too hard.
8. How is it planned to get Toranaga to his own territory and palace?
(a) by ship.
(b) by caravan.
(c) by camel.
(d) by palanquin.
9. How does Blackthorne show his contempt for Father Sabastio?
(a) by snatching and breaking his crucifix.
(b) by refusing to speak to him.
(c) by making faces behind his back.
(d) by shouting at him.
10. Before the storm, who comes on deck to see Blackthorne piloting the ship while Rodrigues sleeps?
(a) Toranaga and Yabu.
(b) Hiro-matsu and Father Sebastio.
(c) Hiro-matsu and Yabu.
(d) a priest and Yabu.
11. Why is Toranaga concerned about Martin Alvito?
(a) he thinks a long time before translating.
(b) he has shifty eyes.
(c) he is not sure he translates correctly.
(d) he is too close to the Jesuits.
12. What does Yabu find on the Erasmus?
(a) muskets, gold, silver, plate, coins, and fancy clothing.
(b) dynamite, fuses, water mines, and wine.
(c) rum, Chinese silks, coconuts, and bananas.
(d) stowaways and maps of the Pacific Ocean.
13. How does Buntaro escape death?
(a) Toranaga's men ambush the soldiers.
(b) Rodrigues's galley comes close enough for him to swim.
(c) the soldiers begin to slip and fall off the jetty.
(d) Toranaga sends him a horse and orders him to safety.
14. What praise does Rodrigues give the Japanese sailors?
(a) they row far past what a normal man would endure.
(b) they never disobey orders.
(c) they work very cheaply.
(d) they are very polite to the pilot.
15. What question comes to mind when Blackthorne almost falls off the galley while Rodrigues is piloting?
(a) if the galley will make it to Osaka.
(b) if a sudden lurch was planned to get rid of Blackthorne.
(c) if Rodriguez really knows what he is doing.
(d) if Blackthrone could survive overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Rodrigues from breaking the seal on the thing he is delivering to Toranaga?
2. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
3. What color signifies Toranaga's warriors?
4. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
5. What country does Blackthorne say he is not an enemy of?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)