|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
(a) that someone is there to help him escape.
(b) that he is going to his death.
(c) that they finally know how to pronounce his name.
(d) that he is being saved.
2. Although he treats Blackthorne well, what does Mura believe?
(a) that the samurai will chop off his head.
(b) that the daimyo will order Blackthorne's execution.
(c) that he will become a slave of the shōgun.
(d) that he will be forced to fight a samurai.
3. What does Blackthorne do when he realizes he is not going to be executed?
(a) a hornpipe dance.
(b) goes to his room and yells.
(c) a series of back flips.
(d) makes an offering to the priest.
4. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) for twenty years.
(b) for ten years.
(c) since the revolution.
(d) since he was fifteen.
5. Why does Toranaga not take the galley for his escape?
(a) it is being repaired.
(b) it is filled with Gray samurai.
(c) it is in dry dock.
(d) it cannot out maneuver the ship.
6. Who comes to take Blackthorne from the pit?
(a) Yabu himself.
(b) a young boy.
(c) a priest.
(d) a courtesan.
7. What does Blackthorne suspect about the daimyo, Kasigi Yabu, Lord of Izu?
(a) that he understands English.
(b) that he is disinterested in Blackthorne.
(c) he does not fully trust Sabastio.
(d) that he will carry out the wishes of Father Sabastio.
8. What does Rodrigues believe is in the delivery to Toranaga?
(a) a catechism written in Japanese.
(b) Blackthorne's rutters.
(c) maps from the Erasmus.
(d) orders to kill Blackthorne.
9. Where does Blackthorne find himself once again?
(a) in front of Toranaga.
(b) on the Erasmus.
(c) on Rodrigues's galley.
(d) in a cramped prison cell
10. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
(a) that he is using Blackthorne to elevate his own position.
(b) that he fears for his own life by talking to him.
(c) that he is not interpreting properly for the Japanese.
(d) that he is a spy for the Portuguese
11. How does Buntaro escape death?
(a) the soldiers begin to slip and fall off the jetty.
(b) Rodrigues's galley comes close enough for him to swim.
(c) Toranaga sends him a horse and orders him to safety.
(d) Toranaga's men ambush the soldiers.
12. What has Yabu decided to do against direct orders.
(a) go directly to the shōgun.
(b) remain in Yedo.
(c) sink the Erasmus.
(d) not to kill any of the Englishmen.
13. How does Blackthorne realize he is not going to be executed?
(a) they give him a musket.
(b) they give him a bath and new clothes.
(c) they tell him in Portuguese.
(d) they take him out of the prison courtyard.
14. Who does Blackthorne meet in prison?
(a) a Friar named Domingo.
(b) Father Sebastio.
(c) the grandson of Hiro-matsu.
(d) some of his old crewmen.
15. Who sees Blackthorne as dangerous because of his information?
(c) the shōgun.
(d) the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toranaga worry about Blackthorne?
2. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
3. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
4. Why does Rodrigues go aboard the Erasmus?
5. What does the samurai Omi do when one man fails to bow upon his arrival?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)