|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Toranaga deny the young widow the privilege of committing seppuku?
(a) because she is young and will have more children.
(b) because she is the sister of the shōgun.
(c) because it is not allowed of women.
(d) because he wants her to be publicly punished.
2. What does Yabu find on the Erasmus?
(a) muskets, gold, silver, plate, coins, and fancy clothing.
(b) dynamite, fuses, water mines, and wine.
(c) rum, Chinese silks, coconuts, and bananas.
(d) stowaways and maps of the Pacific Ocean.
3. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
(a) Martin Alvito
4. What does Blackthorne suspect about the daimyo, Kasigi Yabu, Lord of Izu?
(a) that he will carry out the wishes of Father Sabastio.
(b) that he is disinterested in Blackthorne.
(c) he does not fully trust Sabastio.
(d) that he understands English.
5. What is Blackthorne looking for when he manages to return to his ship?
(a) the ribber.
(b) the rubber.
(c) the rudder.
(d) the rutter.
6. Why do many guards die on the way to the ship?
(a) they are attacked by peasants.
(b) they are attacked by tigers.
(c) they fall into the water.
(d) they are attacked by archers.
7. What does Rodrigues believe is in the delivery to Toranaga?
(a) maps from the Erasmus.
(b) Blackthorne's rutters.
(c) orders to kill Blackthorne.
(d) a catechism written in Japanese.
8. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
(a) it was bought from the French.
(b) it belonged to the first mate.
(c) it was made by Blackthorne.
(d) it was stolen from the Portuguese.
9. Where does Blackthorne find himself once again?
(a) on Rodrigues's galley.
(b) in front of Toranaga.
(c) on the Erasmus.
(d) in a cramped prison cell
10. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
(a) one of them must kill the others.
(b) they will be deported.
(c) they must become slaves.
(d) one of them must die.
11. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
(a) he is still unconscious.
(b) he is conscious.
(c) he is delirious.
(d) he is dead.
12. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
(a) entertaining Blackthorne.
(b) unloading the Erasmus.
(c) preparing for an execution.
(d) recruiting an army.
13. What country does Blackthorne say he is not an enemy of?
(d) the Friar's home country, Spain
14. What causes Toranaga to have trouble sleeping?
(a) his bed it too hard.
(b) he is thinking about many problems he faces.
(c) his wife snores.
(d) he fears assassination.
15. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
(b) the young widow of Hiro-matsu's grandson.
(c) his chief consort.
(d) Yaemon's mother, Ochiba.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
2. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
3. Why does Blackthorne bow to Yabu?
4. Who knows there have been secret deals between Ishido and two of the others who rule for Yaemon?
5. While Yabu is telling Omi that the next battle will be fought at sea, what does he see entering the bay?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)