|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
(a) it was made by Blackthorne.
(b) it was bought from the French.
(c) it belonged to the first mate.
(d) it was stolen from the Portuguese.
2. How does Blackthorne show his contempt for Father Sabastio?
(a) by snatching and breaking his crucifix.
(b) by refusing to speak to him.
(c) by making faces behind his back.
(d) by shouting at him.
3. How does Blackthorne realize he is not going to be executed?
(a) they give him a musket.
(b) they take him out of the prison courtyard.
(c) they give him a bath and new clothes.
(d) they tell him in Portuguese.
4. What is Rodrigues carrying for Father Sebastio?
(a) a sealed package.
(b) a letter.
(c) a crate of sake.
(d) a donation to Toranga.
5. What does Domingo teach Blackthorne?
(a) some Biblical history.
(b) how to keep warm in the cell.
(c) how to plan an escape.
(d) some words and phrases in Japanese.
6. What is Blackthorne looking for when he manages to return to his ship?
(a) the ribber.
(b) the rubber.
(c) the rudder.
(d) the rutter.
7. What has Yabu decided to do against direct orders.
(a) go directly to the shōgun.
(b) remain in Yedo.
(c) not to kill any of the Englishmen.
(d) sink the Erasmus.
8. Why does Hiro-matsu request permission to commit seppuku?
(a) because of the shame of his grandson's action.
(b) because his wife shamed him in public.
(c) because he lost his property.
(d) because he is tired of living.
9. How does Toranaga leave the palace in Osaka?
(a) disguised as a gardener.
(b) disguised as a samurai.
(c) disguised as a priest.
(d) disguised as a woman.
10. What causes Toranaga to have trouble sleeping?
(a) he fears assassination.
(b) he is thinking about many problems he faces.
(c) his wife snores.
(d) his bed it too hard.
11. What is the position of Toda Hiro-matsu?
(a) he is Toranga's adviser.
(b) he is the provencial governor.
(c) he is Toranga's rival.
(d) he is the shōgun's general.
12. How does Yabu cover his attempt to get the ship's treasure and weaponry for himself?
(a) he lies that he was only inventorying the goods.
(b) he lies that his men acted on their own.
(c) he lies that he had orders from Toranga.
(d) he lies that he was doing it to keep them safe.
13. How do Blackthorne and his men determine which of them will be executed?
(a) selecting the youngest.
(b) drawing straws.
(c) arm wrestling.
(d) selecting the oldest.
14. How does Blackthorne justify deceiving the friar?
(a) by recognizing the lies the friar tells.
(b) because the friar may be a spy.
(c) by simply not telling everything.
(d) because he cannot explain in Spanish.
15. What does Domingo say about the prisoners in the place where he and Blackthorne are?
(a) they are all condemned to die.
(b) they will all be released.
(c) they will be used as medical experiments.
(d) they will soon be forgotten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Satisfied Blackthorne is not an enemy, what does Friar Dominga tell Blackthorne?
2. When Blackthorne wakes up and finds everyone swimming, what is Toranaga wanting to do?
3. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
4. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
5. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)