|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the first priest indicate when he arrives where Blackthorne is held prisoner?
(a) that Blackthorne is the lone survivor of the wreck.
(b) that Blackthorne will become a slave.
(c) that Blackthorne is safe because of his golden hair.
(d) that Blackthorne is going to die.
2. What does Blackthorne do when he realizes he is not going to be executed?
(a) goes to his room and yells.
(b) makes an offering to the priest.
(c) a series of back flips.
(d) a hornpipe dance.
3. Why does Toranaga deny the young widow the privilege of committing seppuku?
(a) because he wants her to be publicly punished.
(b) because it is not allowed of women.
(c) because she is young and will have more children.
(d) because she is the sister of the shōgun.
4. Who sees Blackthorne as dangerous because of his information?
(b) the church.
(d) the shōgun.
5. What is the subject matter of the Prologue?
(a) the warnings from the Japanese about invaders.
(b) the storm that sends the ship to land at Japan.
(c) the promotion of Blackthorne to captain.
(d) the conflict between the Jesuits and the Dutch.
6. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
(a) to confiscate the ship for himself.
(b) to remove the canons from the ship.
(c) to confiscate the goods and the ship for Toranga.
(d) to destroy the erasmus.
7. What causes Yabu to defy orders?
(a) his plan to become the shōgun.
(b) his devotion to his wife.
(c) the onslaught of winter.
(d) the potential for riches aboard Blackthorne's ship.
8. Before the storm, who comes on deck to see Blackthorne piloting the ship while Rodrigues sleeps?
(a) a priest and Yabu.
(b) Hiro-matsu and Father Sebastio.
(c) Toranaga and Yabu.
(d) Hiro-matsu and Yabu.
9. Where does Blackthorne find himself once again?
(a) on the Erasmus.
(b) in a cramped prison cell
(c) on Rodrigues's galley.
(d) in front of Toranaga.
10. What causes Toranaga to have trouble sleeping?
(a) he fears assassination.
(b) his bed it too hard.
(c) his wife snores.
(d) he is thinking about many problems he faces.
11. What is the position of Toda Hiro-matsu?
(a) he is Toranga's rival.
(b) he is the provencial governor.
(c) he is Toranga's adviser.
(d) he is the shōgun's general.
12. What is Rodrigues carrying for Father Sebastio?
(a) a crate of sake.
(b) a donation to Toranga.
(c) a sealed package.
(d) a letter.
13. On the way to Osaka, what does Blackthorne do while Rodrigues naps?
(a) tries to escape.
(b) pilots the galley.
(c) talks to the priest.
(d) watches Yabu.
14. What has Toranaga learned about his situation?
(a) he has developed a terminal illness.
(b) he has solid support of the other four regents.
(c) he is scheduled to be executed.
(d) he is alone against the other four regents.
15. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
(a) that he is a spy for the Portuguese
(b) that he is using Blackthorne to elevate his own position.
(c) that he is not interpreting properly for the Japanese.
(d) that he fears for his own life by talking to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ishido Kazunari insult Toranaga?
2. What order does Toda Hiro-matsu issue?
3. How do Blackthorne and his men determine which of them will be executed?
4. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
5. Satisfied Blackthorne is not an enemy, what does Friar Dominga tell Blackthorne?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)