|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Domingo teach Blackthorne?
(a) some words and phrases in Japanese.
(b) some Biblical history.
(c) how to plan an escape.
(d) how to keep warm in the cell.
2. How do Blackthorne and his men determine which of them will be executed?
(a) drawing straws.
(b) selecting the oldest.
(c) arm wrestling.
(d) selecting the youngest.
3. How does Buntaro escape death?
(a) Toranaga sends him a horse and orders him to safety.
(b) Rodrigues's galley comes close enough for him to swim.
(c) Toranaga's men ambush the soldiers.
(d) the soldiers begin to slip and fall off the jetty.
4. What does Blackthorne admit to Toranaga about the war between Spain and Holland?
(a) that he never participated in it.
(b) that religious differences are a ridiculous reason for war.
(c) that it will soon spread to Japan.
(d) that it has nothing to do with him.
5. What does Domingo say about the prisoners in the place where he and Blackthorne are?
(a) they will soon be forgotten.
(b) they will be used as medical experiments.
(c) they are all condemned to die.
(d) they will all be released.
6. Why does Ishido Kazunari insult Toranaga?
(a) to see how he will react.
(b) to have an excuse for killing him.
(c) to challenge his samurai.
(d) to precipitate a change in government.
7. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) since he was fifteen.
(b) for ten years.
(c) for twenty years.
(d) since the revolution.
8. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
(a) entertaining Blackthorne.
(b) unloading the Erasmus.
(c) recruiting an army.
(d) preparing for an execution.
9. What history does Domingo tell Blackthorne about?
(a) the migration of the Japanese from mainland Asia.
(b) traders who came to Japan over a century ago.
(c) the rise and fall of the shōguns.
(d) the religion of the Japanese.
10. What does Yabu find on the Erasmus?
(a) rum, Chinese silks, coconuts, and bananas.
(b) dynamite, fuses, water mines, and wine.
(c) muskets, gold, silver, plate, coins, and fancy clothing.
(d) stowaways and maps of the Pacific Ocean.
11. How does Blackthorne realize he is not going to be executed?
(a) they tell him in Portuguese.
(b) they give him a musket.
(c) they give him a bath and new clothes.
(d) they take him out of the prison courtyard.
12. What color signifies Toranaga's warriors?
13. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
(c) Martin Alvito
14. What question comes to mind when Blackthorne almost falls off the galley while Rodrigues is piloting?
(a) if the galley will make it to Osaka.
(b) if a sudden lurch was planned to get rid of Blackthorne.
(c) if Rodriguez really knows what he is doing.
(d) if Blackthrone could survive overboard.
15. What does the samurai Omi do when one man fails to bow upon his arrival?
(a) he has the man crucified.
(b) he throws the man into prison.
(c) he orders the man put to the lash.
(d) he slices off the man's head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Satisfied Blackthorne is not an enemy, what does Friar Dominga tell Blackthorne?
2. Why is it dangerous for Toranaga, disguised as Kiri, to reach for the scroll Ishido brings?
3. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
4. What is Toda's plan for the Erasmus?
5. What happens when Mariko's husband, Buntaro, is trapped at the end of the jetty?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)