|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kiri divert attention from Toranaga as they make their escape?
(a) she shouts for care to be taken of Sazuko who has fallen.
(b) she does a dance for the soldiers to see.
(c) she screams that she is going into labor.
(d) she sets fire to her kimono.
2. What is Rodrigues carrying for Father Sebastio?
(a) a crate of sake.
(b) a letter.
(c) a donation to Toranga.
(d) a sealed package.
3. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) since the revolution.
(b) since he was fifteen.
(c) for ten years.
(d) for twenty years.
4. Where does Blackthorne find himself once again?
(a) on the Erasmus.
(b) in front of Toranaga.
(c) in a cramped prison cell
(d) on Rodrigues's galley.
5. Who does Suwa know plans to kill Yabu one day?
(a) Father Sabastio.
(d) Su, the uncle of Yabu's enemy, Ikawa Jikkyu.
6. Why does Ishido Kazunari insult Toranaga?
(a) to have an excuse for killing him.
(b) to precipitate a change in government.
(c) to see how he will react.
(d) to challenge his samurai.
7. What is the difference between the Erasmus and the galley headed to Osaka?
(a) the Erasmus is much larger than the galley.
(b) the galley is more rugged than the Erasmus.
(c) the Erasmus has oars but the galley does not.
(d) the Erasmus is built for the rough weather.
8. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
(a) he flies a Gray flag on the galley.
(b) he lights fires on the galley to look like it is burning.
(c) he changes the direction of the galley.
(d) he sees an opportunity to go past the frigate.
9. Why is Toranaga concerned about Martin Alvito?
(a) he is not sure he translates correctly.
(b) he thinks a long time before translating.
(c) he has shifty eyes.
(d) he is too close to the Jesuits.
10. How is the Englishman killed?
(a) in boiling oil.
(b) in the boiling sun.
(c) in boiling water.
(d) in boiling butter.
11. How does Blackthorne justify deceiving the friar?
(a) by simply not telling everything.
(b) because he cannot explain in Spanish.
(c) by recognizing the lies the friar tells.
(d) because the friar may be a spy.
12. Who does Blackthorne meet in prison?
(a) a Friar named Domingo.
(b) Father Sebastio.
(c) the grandson of Hiro-matsu.
(d) some of his old crewmen.
13. Why does Blackthorne bow to Yabu?
(a) for his bravery in saving the life of Rodrigues.
(b) for his superior air.
(c) to beg for his life.
(d) for his allowing Blackthorne to save Rodrigues.
14. What causes Toranaga to have trouble sleeping?
(a) his bed it too hard.
(b) he is thinking about many problems he faces.
(c) his wife snores.
(d) he fears assassination.
15. What does Blackthorne suspect about Father Sabastio?
(a) that he fears for his own life by talking to him.
(b) that he is using Blackthorne to elevate his own position.
(c) that he is a spy for the Portuguese
(d) that he is not interpreting properly for the Japanese.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Blackthorne taken out of respect for his position?
2. How does Blackthorne divert attention from Toranaga in the palanquin?
3. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
4. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
5. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)