|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents the ship from moving once Toranaga and his party are on board?
(a) the ship is taking on water fast.
(b) the ship cannot weigh anchor.
(c) the Erasmus is blocking their way.
(d) the ship is blockaded in by fishing boats all armed with samurai.
2. Who does Yokodo tell Toranaga he should marry?
(a) his chief consort.
(b) the young widow of Hiro-matsu's grandson.
(c) Yaemon's mother, Ochiba.
3. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
(a) he changes the direction of the galley.
(b) he flies a Gray flag on the galley.
(c) he lights fires on the galley to look like it is burning.
(d) he sees an opportunity to go past the frigate.
4. What happens to Rodrigues during the storm?
(a) he has a religious experience.
(b) he becomes too ill to pilot the galley.
(c) he misses his chance to kill Blackthorne.
(d) his safety line snaps and he is washed overboard.
5. Why does Omi, nephew of Yabu, advise that the men from the shipwreck not be killed?
(a) because they might know something important.
(b) because of their apparent dislike of the priest.
(c) because they would amuse the shōgun.
(d) because it is not an auspicious day.
6. Who has instructions to answer every question except those related to politics?
(c) Martin Alvito
7. Who sees Blackthorne as dangerous because of his information?
(a) the church.
(c) the shōgun.
8. When Toda Hiro-matsu arrives, what is Yabu doing?
(a) recruiting an army.
(b) entertaining Blackthorne.
(c) unloading the Erasmus.
(d) preparing for an execution.
9. What does Yabu find on the Erasmus?
(a) dynamite, fuses, water mines, and wine.
(b) stowaways and maps of the Pacific Ocean.
(c) muskets, gold, silver, plate, coins, and fancy clothing.
(d) rum, Chinese silks, coconuts, and bananas.
10. What is the position of Toda Hiro-matsu?
(a) he is Toranga's rival.
(b) he is the provencial governor.
(c) he is Toranga's adviser.
(d) he is the shōgun's general.
11. What is Blackthorne looking for when he manages to return to his ship?
(a) the ribber.
(b) the rudder.
(c) the rutter.
(d) the rubber.
12. While Yabu is telling Omi that the next battle will be fought at sea, what does he see entering the bay?
(a) a pod of whales.
(b) the HMS Pinafore.
(c) a fleet of English warships.
(d) a ship flying the flag of Toranaga.
13. Who is the pilot of the galley that will take Blackthorne to Osaka?
(a) a Frenchman named LaSalle.
(b) an Englishman named Hyde-White.
(c) a Portuguese named Vasco Rodrigues.
(d) a Chinese named Li Wang.
14. How is the Englishman killed?
(a) in boiling oil.
(b) in boiling water.
(c) in the boiling sun.
(d) in boiling butter.
15. What country does Blackthorne say he is not an enemy of?
(c) the Friar's home country, Spain
Short Answer Questions
1. What history does Domingo tell Blackthorne about?
2. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
3. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
4. Who does Blackthorne meet in prison?
5. Why does Toranaga deny the young widow the privilege of committing seppuku?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)