|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Blackthorne suddenly being treated well?
(a) on orders from Toranaga.
(b) because he has the map.
(c) because he tells the truth.
(d) on orders from Ishido.
2. What does Rodrigues believe is in the delivery to Toranaga?
(a) maps from the Erasmus.
(b) orders to kill Blackthorne.
(c) a catechism written in Japanese.
(d) Blackthorne's rutters.
3. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
(a) that they finally know how to pronounce his name.
(b) that he is being saved.
(c) that someone is there to help him escape.
(d) that he is going to his death.
4. Why does Hiro-matsu request permission to commit seppuku?
(a) because he is tired of living.
(b) because his wife shamed him in public.
(c) because of the shame of his grandson's action.
(d) because he lost his property.
5. Why do many guards die on the way to the ship?
(a) they are attacked by archers.
(b) they are attacked by tigers.
(c) they are attacked by peasants.
(d) they fall into the water.
6. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) since he was fifteen.
(b) for twenty years.
(c) since the revolution.
(d) for ten years.
7. How does Kiri divert attention from Toranaga as they make their escape?
(a) she shouts for care to be taken of Sazuko who has fallen.
(b) she sets fire to her kimono.
(c) she screams that she is going into labor.
(d) she does a dance for the soldiers to see.
8. What does Rodrigues consider doing with Blackthorne?
(a) helping him with Toranga.
(b) hiding him.
(c) killing him.
(d) partnering with him.
9. What is the subject matter of the Prologue?
(a) the promotion of Blackthorne to captain.
(b) the storm that sends the ship to land at Japan.
(c) the warnings from the Japanese about invaders.
(d) the conflict between the Jesuits and the Dutch.
10. How does Blackthorne divert attention from Toranaga in the palanquin?
(a) by pointing to the sky.
(b) by feigning a fit.
(c) by bowing low to Ishido.
(d) by doing a hornpipe dance.
11. Who is the pilot of the galley that will take Blackthorne to Osaka?
(a) a Chinese named Li Wang.
(b) an Englishman named Hyde-White.
(c) a Portuguese named Vasco Rodrigues.
(d) a Frenchman named LaSalle.
12. What lie does Blackthorne continue to tell?
(a) that he is only a deckhand.
(b) that he comes from Argentina.
(c) that his fleet is coming.
(d) that the Erasmus is a British ship.
13. How does Blackthorne manage to get the galley safely out of the way of the flaming arrows?
(a) he sees an opportunity to go past the frigate.
(b) he flies a Gray flag on the galley.
(c) he changes the direction of the galley.
(d) he lights fires on the galley to look like it is burning.
14. What is Blackthorne looking for when he manages to return to his ship?
(a) the rutter.
(b) the rudder.
(c) the ribber.
(d) the rubber.
15. When Blackthorne wakes up and finds everyone swimming, what is Toranaga wanting to do?
(a) catch some fish.
(b) hurry on to land.
(c) learn how to dive.
(d) learn English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rodrigues when the galley arrives safely in Osaka?
2. What has Yabu decided to do against direct orders.
3. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
4. What color signifies Toranaga's warriors?
5. Who knows there have been secret deals between Ishido and two of the others who rule for Yaemon?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)