|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference between the Erasmus and the galley headed to Osaka?
(a) the Erasmus is much larger than the galley.
(b) the galley is more rugged than the Erasmus.
(c) the Erasmus has oars but the galley does not.
(d) the Erasmus is built for the rough weather.
2. What question comes to mind when Blackthorne almost falls off the galley while Rodrigues is piloting?
(a) if Blackthrone could survive overboard.
(b) if Rodriguez really knows what he is doing.
(c) if the galley will make it to Osaka.
(d) if a sudden lurch was planned to get rid of Blackthorne.
3. Where does Blackthorne find himself once again?
(a) on the Erasmus.
(b) on Rodrigues's galley.
(c) in front of Toranaga.
(d) in a cramped prison cell
4. During the trip on the galley, how does the weather change?
(a) a storm comes up.
(b) it begins to snow.
(c) the sea becomes calm.
(d) the clouds hide the stars.
5. Why does Toranaga worry about Blackthorne?
(a) he fears that many people will try to kill him.
(b) he thinks Blackthorne is an assassin.
(c) he is not sure he told the truth.
(d) he thinks Blackthorne is a god.
6. What history does Domingo tell Blackthorne about?
(a) the religion of the Japanese.
(b) the migration of the Japanese from mainland Asia.
(c) traders who came to Japan over a century ago.
(d) the rise and fall of the shōguns.
7. Why does Rodrigues go aboard the Erasmus?
(a) removing the canon.
(b) guiding the Japanese.
(c) looking for Blackthorne.
(d) looking for the rutters.
8. What sentence is pronounced on Blackthorne's men?
(a) one of them must kill the others.
(b) one of them must die.
(c) they will be deported.
(d) they must become slaves.
9. How long has Hiro-matsu been serving Toranaga?
(a) since he was fifteen.
(b) for twenty years.
(c) for ten years.
(d) since the revolution.
10. How does Yabu cover his attempt to get the ship's treasure and weaponry for himself?
(a) he lies that his men acted on their own.
(b) he lies that he was only inventorying the goods.
(c) he lies that he was doing it to keep them safe.
(d) he lies that he had orders from Toranga.
11. When Blackthorne's name is called, what does he think at first?
(a) that someone is there to help him escape.
(b) that they finally know how to pronounce his name.
(c) that he is being saved.
(d) that he is going to his death.
12. What is Blackthorne's position before the wreck of the Erasmus?
(a) captain of the Santa Theresa.
(b) navigator of the Omi.
(c) translator for the British.
(d) pilot-major of the trading ship Erasmus.
13. After a few skirmishes, where does Blackthorne end up?
(a) with Yabu.
(b) facing the emperor.
(c) with the shōgun.
(d) on board the Erasmus.
14. Who knows there have been secret deals between Ishido and two of the others who rule for Yaemon?
(d) Martin Alvito
15. How does Toranaga leave the palace in Osaka?
(a) disguised as a priest.
(b) disguised as a gardener.
(c) disguised as a samurai.
(d) disguised as a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Blackthorne say he is not an enemy of?
2. Before the storm, who comes on deck to see Blackthorne piloting the ship while Rodrigues sleeps?
3. Who is the pilot of the galley that will take Blackthorne to Osaka?
4. While Yabu is telling Omi that the next battle will be fought at sea, what does he see entering the bay?
5. How did the book Blackthorne looks for happen to be on the Erasmus?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)