|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shoeless Joe instructs Ray to finish a part of the field so that which player can appear?
2. Who hears the second message from the voice?
3. In the beginning of the book, how does Ray prevent his grass from being ruined in a freeze?
4. At the end of Chapter One, what does Shoeless Joe mistake Ray's field for?
5. Before he became a farmer, what did Ray do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray expect after he completes another section of the baseball field?
2. In The Rapture of J.D. Salinger, what does Salinger promise Ray? Why is this significant?
3. Describe what Ray observes after the seventh inning stretch at Fenway Park.
4. Explain the symbolism of doors in The Rapture of J.D. Salinger.
5. What did Dr. Graham always buy for his wife?
6. Ray received directions from a "voice." What directions did he receive and did he complete his tasks?
7. What happens when Ray and Richard approach their father?
8. As Ray and Salinger leave Chisholm, who do they pick up?
9. When coming back into Iowa, why does Ray want to pick up Eddie Scissons?
10. What do you think will happen to the baseball field after the last game in The Rapture of J.D. Salinger,?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a literary device used to give meaning to an object beyond the obvious. Write an essay that analyzes a symbol used in Shoeless Joe. Include a description of the symbol and how it is used in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The setting significantly affects the plot of a novel. In an essay, analyze the role of setting including a description of the setting of Shoeless Joe, how the setting can change the novel, and examples of how the novel would be different if the setting were to change.
Essay Topic 3
Using what you have learned about characterization, write a character analysis of one of the main characters. Include the following: a description, actions, relationship to other characters, motives, strengths and weaknesses.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)