|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chick Gandil first appears, how is he described?
2. At the end of Chapter One, what does Shoeless Joe mistake Ray's field for?
3. Ray brings up a dream that JD Salinger once described, what was it?
4. In the beginning of the book, how does Ray prevent his grass from being ruined in a freeze?
5. Who does Ray suggest could play with Shoeless Joe and the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Eddie buried? Why?
2. What do you think will happen to the baseball field after the last game in The Rapture of J.D. Salinger,?
3. Overall, Shoeless Joe is a novel about baseball. However, it is more than baseball. What is baseball a metaphor for?
4. In The Rapture of J.D. Salinger, Salinger says he wants to "touch the perfect dream." Describe what the "perfect dream" might be for Salinger.
5. At the Minneapolis Twins ballpark, how do Ray, Salinger and Archie get into the stadium at night?
6. Describe what happens after the end of the game in The Rapture of J.D. Salinger.
7. What information do Ray and Salinger learn at the Baseball Hall of Fame?
8. What does Shoeless Joe ask Ray after the first game ends? What is Ray's answer?
9. Describe what Ray observes after the seventh inning stretch at Fenway Park.
10. In The Rapture of J.D. Salinger, describe what Salinger reveals to Ray to calm his anger.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
W.P. Kinsella uses an abundance of figurative language to describe people, places and actions. In an essay analyze the use of figurative language in Shoeless Joe. Cite examples from the text of figurative language. Do you think the figurative language in the novel adds to or detracts from the telling of the story?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, analyze what genre Shoeless Joe is. What evidence from the text supports your opinion? Is it only one genre or a combination?
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the novel, Shoeless Joe, is that of redemption. In an essay, analyze this theme in the novel. Who receives redemption? How do they receive it?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)