|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the argument in "The Oldest Living Chicago Cub" between Mark and Ray, what is revealed about Eddie Scissons?
(a) Eddie is scizophrinic.
(b) The real Eddie Scissons died fifteen years ago.
(c) Scissons never played for the Chicago Cubs.
(d) Eddie Scissons never owned the farm.
2. How did Moonlight Graham get that nickname?
(a) No one knows, he'd just always been called that.
(b) He was born during a blue moon.
(c) He walked outside at night with his uniform on.
(d) There was a lunar eclipse the first time he came to bat in the minors.
3. How does Ray determine what year it is as he is talking with Doc Graham?
(a) He sees a political sign in a store window.
(b) He asks him about last year's World Series.
(c) He guesses the year by looking at the movie theater's marquee.
(d) He scrapes mud of a license plate to check the year's registration tag.
4. At the end of "The Oldest Living Chicago Cub", Salinger gives a speech. Complete the following sentence: "I don't have to tell you that the one constant through all the years has been _____________."
5. What is Eddie Scissons' claim to fame?
(a) That he used to play baseball with Shoeless Joe.
(b) That he was the first designated hitter inducted into the Hall of Fame.
(c) That he is the oldest living Chicago Cub.
(d) That he was the last person to bat at the Polo Grounds.
6. What must Eddie have in his coffee?
7. What additional message did the voice give JD Salinger?
(a) "Start writing again."
(b) Nothing, he only heard "Go the distance."
(c) "Bottle the moonlight."
(d) "Fulfill the dream."
8. JD Salinger begins to tell strangers his identity. What is their general reaction?
(a) They immediately tell their friends to come quickly to meet a living legend.
(b) JD keeps his identity secret.
(c) They accuse him of lying.
(d) They either don't know who he is or confuse him for other writers.
9. Why is Shoeless Joe Jackson confused to see Moonlight Graham in the stands?
(a) Shoeless Joe has no idea who Graham is.
(b) Shoeless Joe only knew Graham as an older Doctor.
(c) Graham should be playing in the game.
(d) Graham is Shoeless Joe's cousin.
10. Where do Ray and JD Salinger go first to investigate Moonlight Graham's career?
(a) A baseball museum in New York City.
(b) Back to Fenway Park.
(c) The Baseball Hall of Fame.
(d) Ray's home library.
11. How did Ray keep the field a secret from Eddie Scissons for three years?
(a) Eddie did know about the field.
(b) Ray was never invited over since he built the field.
(c) Annie would distract Eddie by flirting with him.
(d) By parking on the other side of the farmhouse.
12. What position player is Ray excited to see finally appear on the field?
(b) Center fielder.
(c) Second baseman.
13. Why does a banker call Eddie Scissons about Ray's mortgage payments?
(a) Ray was asking for a loan to build new bleachers for the field.
(b) Mark was trying to pressure Annie into selling the farm.
(c) Ray was asking for a loan for a tractor to mow the baseball field.
(d) Ray had gone bankrupt while on his road trip.
14. In a flashback, Ray remembers the first time he met Eddie Scissons. Where did he meet him?
(a) Iowa City.
(c) St. Pauls.
15. Who does the announcer say is the White Sox catcher?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) Johnny Kinsella.
(c) Johnny Bench.
(d) Yogi Berra.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ray get through the locked door?
2. Why is Annie nervous when Ray first comes home from his road trip with Salinger?
3. What question is on the bottom of the form the Baseball Hall of Fame sends to every player who has ever played in the Major Leagues?
4. In what year did Moonlight Graham play in the majors?
5. How does Ray know Eddie?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)