|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Doc Graham, what would have been a real tragedy?
(a) If he never got to play at all in the majors.
(b) If he never met his wife.
(c) If he had only been a doctor for five minutes.
(d) If he lived in a different town.
2. At the end of "The Oldest Living Chicago Cub", Salinger gives a speech. Complete the following sentence: "I don't have to tell you that the one constant through all the years has been _____________."
3. What kind of car does Ray drive?
(a) A Datsun.
(b) A Dodge.
(c) A Toyota.
(d) A Chevrolet.
4. What position did Moonlight Graham play in the major league?
(a) Left Field.
(b) Right Field.
(d) First Base.
5. Having found out about the life of Dr. Graham, why can't JD Salinger return home to New Hampshire?
(a) He wants to see Ray's field for himself.
(b) He heard another message from the voice.
(c) Ray has kidnapped him and won't let him leave.
(d) He wants to move from New Hampshire to Iowa.
6. After interviewing people of the town, what does Ray compare memories of Doc Graham to?
(a) Family pictures kept in a box.
(b) A package of baseball cards held together by a rubber band.
(c) Ears of corn growing on a stalk.
(d) Colored bottles that Ray and Annie dug up from their yard.
7. What is the relationship between Ray, Richard and the catcher for the White Sox?
(a) The cather is Richard and Ray's college roommate.
(b) The catcher is Richard and Ray's brother.
(c) The catcher is Richard and Ray's cousin.
(d) The catcher is Richard and Ray's father.
8. How does Ray get through the locked door?
(a) He climbs through a window.
(b) He climbs over the fence.
(c) He breaks the lock by kicking it.
(d) He picks the lock by hand.
9. What does Ray do for a second time as he and JD start their road trip?
(a) Tell JD the story of his father, Shoeless Joe, and his baseball field.
(b) Talks about the difference between different species of corn.
(c) Bangs his head on a pole at a gas station.
(d) Tells JD about the first time Ray read "The Catcher in the Rye."
10. What card game are Salinger, Scisssons and Graham playing when the players return?
(b) Go Fish.
11. What additional message did the voice give JD Salinger?
(a) "Fulfill the dream."
(b) "Start writing again."
(c) Nothing, he only heard "Go the distance."
(d) "Bottle the moonlight."
12. Ray leaves JD Salinger alone in the hotel room and goes for a walk. How does Ray come across Doc Graham?
(a) He never leaves the hotel room, it's all a dream.
(b) Ray somehow time travelled.
(c) Doc Graham somehow time travelled.
(d) Moonlight Graham appears like a ghost from Ray's field.
13. What position does Archie Graham play when Shoeless Joe asks him to be on the field?
(a) Right field.
(b) Short stop.
(c) First base.
(d) Left field.
14. After returning from their first expedition in Chisholm, Ray has another dream about Eddie. What figure is in the dream?
(a) A scarlet bird.
(b) A dark horse.
(c) A black butterfly.
(d) A black angel.
15. What is Eddie Scissons' claim to fame?
(a) That he is the oldest living Chicago Cub.
(b) That he was the last person to bat at the Polo Grounds.
(c) That he used to play baseball with Shoeless Joe.
(d) That he was the first designated hitter inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moonlight Graham grow up?
2. What condition is the field in when Ray returns from his road trip?
3. What object does Ray treat with reverence as he touches it?
4. What did Doc Graham always buy his wife?
5. What profession is the hitch hiker who Ray and JD Salinger pick up?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)