|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the speech on Monet's painting that Yuki recalls giving during Chapter 12?
2. During an argument over dinner, what does Hanae accuse Yuki of being?
3. How does Yuki spend her lunch recess at school in Chapter 9?
4. What does Yuki collect along with the leaves for her homemaking class?
5. Where does Yuki decide to go to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each character in the novel displays a different attitude toward death and the nature of loved ones passing. Compare and contrast the main characters of the novel: Yuki, Masa, Takeo, and Hideki. How do their approaches to grief vary? How have they grown and progressed by the end of the book? What understandings do they come to about death and those that have departed?
Essay Topic 2
For a young person, Yuki lives with a great deal of regret. Write an essay in which you explore the impact of this particular burden on Yuki. What is Yuki's biggest regret? What does she regret more, her actions or her words? Why? Do other characters regret their actions or words? If so, how do their regrets compare to those of Yuki?
Essay Topic 3
Even though the novel is set primarily in the early 1970s, is its commentary on women and society is still relevant today? Why or why not? How would the novel's themes differ if the story were set in the United States during the same time period?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)