|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a student is Yuki?
2. How has Yuki spent her summer Sundays?
3. What does Sachiko invite Yuki to do at the track meet?
4. Why does Hanae decide to keep the persimmon teapot in the kitchen?
5. Where does the wake take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yuki hope to never fall in love? On what does she base her mistrust in love?
2. What event changes Yuki's temperament and attitude toward her grandparents during her visit in March 1972?
3. What does Shizuko wish that she had done differently on the day she decides to take her life?
4. What are the special objects that Yuki carries with her on the day of her father's wedding? Why are these items important to her?
5. What are Yuki's feelings about her father's remarriage? How does she make these feelings known on their wedding day?
6. How does it make Yuki feel as she observes Sachiko interacting with her mother after the track meet?
7. Why does Takeo believe that he is developing a hearing problem?
8. In Chapter 10, Yuki recalls how Mr. Kimura told her stories about Shizuko's years as a schoolgirl. What similarities become apparent between the young Shizuko and Yuki?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Yuki is thinking about her attempt to convince Mr. Wada that she cannot dissect a frog. What reasons does she give Mr. Wada for being unable to complete the lab activity?
10. Is Hideki affectionate toward Yuki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Yuki's relationship with her father and stepmother and how the lack of respect from all involved parties has created a rift in the family. Yuki is utterly unable to connect with her new set of parents after Shizuko's death, and in turn, Hideki and Hanae find Yuki to be contemptible.
Part 1) How does Yuki's initial behavior at Hideki and Hanae's wedding set the tone for their future relationship?
Part 2) How does Yuki's attitude toward her father and stepmother compound their overall disdain and mistrust?
Part 3) What other factors contribute toward the lack of communication and understanding between family members?
Part 4) How does Hanae create tension between Hideki and Yuki? Is she the primary aggressor of the household? Why or why not?
Part 5) Takeo tells Yuki that respect must be earned before it can be given. What is he trying to tell Yuki?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Shizuko's statement about Yuki being a "strong person" who "will no doubt get over this and be a brilliant woman." Relate this statement to the person Yuki becomes in the years following her mother's death. Is there evidence that Yuki is a strong person? If so, to what do you attribute her strength?
Essay Topic 3
For a young person, Yuki lives with a great deal of regret. Write an essay in which you explore the impact of this particular burden on Yuki. What is Yuki's biggest regret? What does she regret more, her actions or her words? Why? Do other characters regret their actions or words? If so, how do their regrets compare to those of Yuki?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)