|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Select the character below who says, "You won't even let me rest."
2. Which character is introduced in Chapter 5?
3. What does Yuki think would have happened if she had told the truth about her mother's death to Sachiko and Mrs. Murai?
4. How old is Yuki in Chapter 1?
5. What is Yuki's school grade level in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yuki feel like she must go to a college that is far away from her parents?
2. Is Yuki pleased with the changes that Yuki's stepmother makes to the family home? Why or why not?
3. Why does Takeo believe that he is developing a hearing problem?
4. Describe how Mr. Kimura appears to ten-year-old Yuki.
5. What does Shizuko wish that she had done differently on the day she decides to take her life?
6. Describe the friendship of Yuki and Sachiko and explain what causes the two to grow apart in the summer of 1971.
7. Why does Yuki regret telling Sachiko and Mrs. Murai that her mother died in an accident? What does she wish she had said instead?
8. Why does Yuki sometimes feel angry toward her late mother Shizuko?
9. How are Hideki's marriage and his position at work related?
10. What does Hideki appreciate about the ritual of burning in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist of the novel?
Part 1) Examine the novel, taking into account the multiple points of view and lasting actions of each character, and determine an answer.
Part 2) What evidence supports each choice?
Part 3) What actions do the characters take that make them suitable for these roles?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Yuki's friendship with Sachiko, a relationship that marks yet another loss in the protagonist's life.
Part 1) Why is Yuki drawn to Sachiko?
Part 2) Compare and contrast Yuki and Sachiko. What is the main conflict in their relationship?
Part 3) What does Yuki learn from Sachiko?
Part 4) How does the loss of Sachiko's friendship affect Yuki? Is Yuki a better person for knowing Sachiko? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Yuki uses art and color as a vehicle for expressing her emotional condition throughout the novel. How are her feelings communicated indirectly through artistic language or interpretation? What are some examples of instances in the novel when Yuki is able to best describe her state of being through art-related metaphor? How does each character respond to art in a way that is relevant to the story?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)