|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following events takes place at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) She confronts her husband about his infidelity.
(b) Shizuko takes her own life by turning the gas oven on and inhaling the fumes.
(c) She completes her cleaning projects.
(d) She takes Yuki to the doctor to have her knee stitched.
2. According to Masa, what was Yuki like as a young child?
(a) Careful and timid.
(b) Quiet and moody.
(c) Loving and caring.
(d) Cheerful and talkative.
3. Select the character below who says, "I don't pretend. I hate you."
4. What daily ritual does Hanae perform?
(a) She runs in the park.
(b) She cleans the house.
(c) She does yoga on the porch.
(d) She crashes the car into the mailbox.
5. Which sentence best characterizes Yuki's behavior on the day of the wake?
(a) Yuki has a temper tantrum and is sent to her room.
(b) Yuki cries continuously throughout the day.
(c) Yuki is well-behaved and keeps her composure.
(d) Yuki is happy to finally have all of her father's attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. Select the correct sequence of events in Chapter 7 from the list below.
2. While Yuki runs with Sachiko, she remembers an argument with her mother. How did that argument end?
3. Why does Yuki apologize to Masa in Chapter 7?
4. No matter how much she looks, what can Hanae never find in Yuki's room?
5. Why does Masa feel she is responsible for another character's fall in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shizuko give Yuki the business card that Mr. Kimura left her? What is Shizuko's reason for deciding not to call Mr. Kimura again?
2. Why is Hanae so disturbed by the attic?
3. Why does her Aunt Aya compliment Yuki on the day of the wake?
4. In Chapter 16, how does Yuki use Masa's kimonos to keep healthy, happy reminders of the past in her life?
5. What kind of relationship does Shizuko have with her daughter Yuki?
6. What are the special objects that Yuki carries with her on the day of her father's wedding? Why are these items important to her?
7. What are some of the reasons behind Shizuko's decision to end her life?
8. What does Shizuko wish that she had done differently on the day she decides to take her life?
9. According to Yuki's stepmother, what does Yuki do to disturb her?
10. Why does Mr. Kimura marry Aya? Why does he believe that his reason is not an inappropriate one?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)