|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Masa asks Yuki to burn incense at the altar and say goodbye to the spirits of her ancestors, why does Yuki refuse to do so?
(a) Yuki believes the ritual should only be conducted in a temple.
(b) Yuki believes that her ancestors couldn't care less whether she burns incense.
(c) Yuki does not know how to conduct the ritual because her father never taught her properly.
(d) Yuki has already completed the ritual in private before her grandparents woke up.
2. What does Shizuko do immediately after her phone call with Yuki in Chapter 1?
(a) She cleans her closet.
(b) She cooks a stew.
(c) She finishes sewing Yuki's new skirt.
(d) She goes into her den and writes goodbye notes.
3. What kind of a student is Yuki?
(a) She is easily the brightest in her class.
(b) She is more of an athlete than a scholar.
(c) She is strong in most subjects except for art.
(d) She struggles to keep up with her lessons.
4. What does Hanae's doctor mean when he tells her it is too late?
(a) She can no longer have children; she waited too long to see him.
(b) She will die soon of cancer; there is no point in pursuing treatment.
(c) She will never again look like a teenager.
(d) She will never see again due to her extended exposure to cleaning chemicals.
5. According to Yuki, what does Hideki think about clothes and makeup?
(a) He does not care that much about clothes and makeup.
(b) He used to tell Shizuko to wear more makeup and nicer clothes.
(c) He cannot stand the sight of a woman in makeup.
(d) He thinks women look bad without makeup.
Short Answer Questions
1. Select the character below who says, "Promise me you'll stay out of trouble from now on."
2. Which character is introduced in Chapter 5?
3. What does Yuki do after changing her clothes on the day of the wake?
4. What does Sachiko invite Yuki to do at the track meet?
5. Why does Yuki apologize to Masa in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Yuki tomboyish or does she behave more feminine during her childhood and early teens?
2. During Takeo's heart attack in Chapter 14, what seems to be his pervading attitude?
3. How does it make Yuki feel as she observes Sachiko interacting with her mother after the track meet?
4. What are Hideki's emotions when Yuki leaves for college?
5. Why does her Aunt Aya compliment Yuki on the day of the wake?
6. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Yuki is thinking about her attempt to convince Mr. Wada that she cannot dissect a frog. What reasons does she give Mr. Wada for being unable to complete the lab activity?
7. Why does Shizuko give Yuki the business card that Mr. Kimura left her? What is Shizuko's reason for deciding not to call Mr. Kimura again?
8. Describe Yuki through Masa's eyes in the beginning of Chapter 14.
9. Why does Yuki decide against thanking her father for letting her attend Aya's wedding?
10. What is the difference between how Yuki's grandmother keeps a house and how Yuki's stepmother keeps a house?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)