|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shizuko once teach Yuki to do with azaleas?
(a) Pick a blossom, pull off the calyx, and remove the seeds to grow more flowers.
(b) Pick a blossom and use the pollen as a pigment to make homemade watercolor paint.
(c) Pick a blossom, pull off the calyx, blow out the pollen, and taste the inside of the flower.
(d) Pick a blossom and weave it into her hair.
2. According to Dr. Takeda, whom does Yuki resemble?
(a) Her mother Shizuko.
(b) Her stepmother.
3. Select the character below who says, "But you'll always beat me."
4. What does Shizuko do immediately after her phone call with Yuki in Chapter 1?
(a) She finishes sewing Yuki's new skirt.
(b) She goes into her den and writes goodbye notes.
(c) She cleans her closet.
(d) She cooks a stew.
5. What does Yuki offer to do when she speaks to Shizuko on the phone in Chapter 1?
(a) Come home immediately and fix supper.
(b) Apologize for starting a fight at baseball practice.
(c) Pay her piano teacher.
(d) Collect cherry blossoms for a wreath.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Yuki remove from the refrigerator?
2. Why does Yuki's throat feel scratchy in Chapter 7?
3. No matter how much she looks, what can Hanae never find in Yuki's room?
4. Why does Hanae decide to keep the persimmon teapot in the kitchen?
5. While Yuki runs with Sachiko, she remembers an argument with her mother. How did that argument end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event changes Yuki's temperament and attitude toward her grandparents during her visit in March 1972?
2. Why does Yuki hope to never fall in love? On what does she base her mistrust in love?
3. Describe the friendship of Yuki and Sachiko and explain what causes the two to grow apart in the summer of 1971.
4. Why does Yuki regret telling Sachiko and Mrs. Murai that her mother died in an accident? What does she wish she had said instead?
5. What kind of relationship does Shizuko have with her daughter Yuki?
6. Why does her Aunt Aya compliment Yuki on the day of the wake?
7. What is the difference between how Yuki's grandmother keeps a house and how Yuki's stepmother keeps a house?
8. In Chapter 13, why is Hanae angry with the way Hideki raised Yuki?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Yuki intend to do with Shizuko's stored belongings in the attic?
10. What are Hanae's views on housekeeping? How do her views seem to differ from Shizuko's?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)