|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Shizuko, why didn't Hideki cry at his mother's funeral?
(a) He did not love her.
(b) He was the black sheep of the family.
(c) He did not like her very much.
(d) He was left out of her will.
2. What does Yuki do after changing her clothes on the day of the wake?
(a) She collects cherry blossoms to place on her mother's coffin.
(b) She lights a candle and sits at the altar to pray.
(c) She goes to Miss Uozumi's house.
(d) She sits on the floor of her closet and cries.
3. What causes Shizuko to wake up from her nap in Chapter 1?
(a) Cherry blossom petals fall on her.
(b) She smells gas.
(c) The telephone rings.
(d) She hears crashing thunder.
4. Select the character below who says, "If you can't do it without being told, then just try not to get in my way."
(a) Yuki's stepmother.
(b) Yuki's Aunt Aya.
(c) Yuki's father Hideki.
5. According to Masa, what was Yuki like as a young child?
(a) Careful and timid.
(b) Cheerful and talkative.
(c) Loving and caring.
(d) Quiet and moody.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the wake take place?
2. Select the character below who says, "I won't hear about you cutting your hair."
3. According to Hanae, what does Yuki do that most Japanese children are taught not to do?
4. While Yuki runs with Sachiko, she remembers an argument with her mother. How did that argument end?
5. According to Hanae, whenever she goes into the attic, she thinks of:
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 after Yuki changes her clothes for the wake?
2. What kind of personality does the young Tadashi have? What does he represent?
3. Why does her Aunt Aya compliment Yuki on the day of the wake?
4. In Chapter 13, why is Hanae angry with the way Hideki raised Yuki?
5. What are Hanae's views on housekeeping? How do her views seem to differ from Shizuko's?
6. Describe how Mr. Kimura appears to ten-year-old Yuki.
7. In Chapter 5, does Yuki yearn for friendship? Why or why not?
8. On the day of her father's wedding, what does Yuki promise her Aunt Aya that she will do? Does she keep her promise?
9. How does it make Yuki feel as she observes Sachiko interacting with her mother after the track meet?
10. Why does Yuki sometimes feel angry toward her late mother Shizuko?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)