|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sachiko invite Yuki to do at the track meet?
(a) Meet in a park and run together.
(b) Go shopping at the mall.
(c) Plant azaleas.
(d) Go watch a movie.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, Yuki is visiting her grandparents for the following event:
(a) A ceremony commemorating her grandparents' fiftieth anniversary.
(b) A ceremony commemorating the third anniversary of her mother's death.
(c) She is competing in the track team's national championship.
(d) A traditional housewarming celebration.
3. In Shizuko's dream at the beginning of Chapter 1, who is throwing rice cakes to a crowd?
(b) The village carpenter.
(c) The piano teacher.
4. Where does the wake take place?
(a) In Yuki's house.
(b) In Tokyo.
(c) In the village funeral parlor.
(d) In the park where Shizuko loved to catch cherry blossoms.
5. Select the character who said, "If something happened to you, I would still go on."
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Yuki spent her summer Sundays?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Yuki remove from the refrigerator?
3. According to Yuki, what does Hideki think about clothes and makeup?
4. What kind of a student is Yuki?
5. What is the only thing in the kitchen that has not been changed by Yuki's stepmother after she moves into the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. During Takeo's heart attack in Chapter 14, what seems to be his pervading attitude?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Yuki regret saying to Shizuko? Why does she regret this statement?
3. What are Yuki's feelings about her father's remarriage? How does she make these feelings known on their wedding day?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, why is Masa disappointed in Yuki?
5. At the end of Chapter 15, Yuki reaches a conclusion about Shizuko's wishes for her in the future. What is it that Shizuko had hoped Yuki would find?
6. Why does Yuki decide against thanking her father for letting her attend Aya's wedding?
7. Why does Yuki feel like she must go to a college that is far away from her parents?
8. Why does Yuki find herself unable to speak about Monet's painting in front of the class?
9. Why does the living room appear unfamiliar to Yuki on the day of the wake?
10. Why does Mr. Kimura marry Aya? Why does he believe that his reason is not an inappropriate one?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)