|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Masa, what was Yuki like as a young child?
(a) Careful and timid.
(b) Quiet and moody.
(c) Cheerful and talkative.
(d) Loving and caring.
2. Why does Yuki's throat feel scratchy in Chapter 7?
(a) She spent the night crying over the memory of her mother.
(b) She ate strawberries that were unripe.
(c) She is dehydrated from the heat.
(d) She screamed during a motorcycle ride.
3. What does Yuki think would have happened if she had told the truth about her mother's death to Sachiko and Mrs. Murai?
(a) Yuki thinks that they would have invited her to live in their home.
(b) Yuki thinks that they would have embraced her, praised her for her strength, and invited her to stay for breakfast.
(c) Yuki thinks that they would have politely asked her to leave their home and never come back.
(d) Yuki thinks they would have offered to drive her to Shizuko's grave.
4. According to Shizuko, what is the best kind of pottery?
(a) The kind covered in flowers.
(b) The kind sold at department stores.
(c) The kind that you get in China.
(d) The kind that you could use every day.
5. When Yuki runs in the track meet in Chapter 5, what does she think about?
(a) Yuki thinks about her Aunt Aya and how proud she would be if only she could be here to see her.
(b) Yuki thinks about the flowers in the garden and how they must need watering by now.
(c) Yuki thinks about her mother and how it must have been more painful than this to keep going when there's no air.
(d) Yuki thinks about her father and stepmother and how they hardly ever speak to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuki apologize to Shizuko in Chapter 4?
2. What causes Shizuko to wake up from her nap in Chapter 1?
3. When does the wake take place?
4. What does Hideki's bride wear to the wedding ceremony?
5. Which character is introduced at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between how Yuki's grandmother keeps a house and how Yuki's stepmother keeps a house?
2. According to Yuki, what kinds of things did Shizuko teach her?
3. Why does Takeo believe that he is developing a hearing problem?
4. Why is Yuki smiling at the end of Chapter 9?
5. According to Yuki's stepmother, what does Yuki do to disturb her?
6. What kind of personality does the young Tadashi have? What does he represent?
7. In Chapter 14, describe how Takeo explains his understanding of the land reform after the war.
8. Describe the friendship of Yuki and Sachiko and explain what causes the two to grow apart in the summer of 1971.
9. Why does Yuki regret telling Sachiko and Mrs. Murai that her mother died in an accident? What does she wish she had said instead?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 12, what does Yuki intend to do with Shizuko's stored belongings in the attic?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)