|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Select the character below who says, "I don't want to fit in."
(c) Mr. Kimura.
2. How much longer does Yuki have until she leaves for Nagasaki?
(a) A week.
(b) Two days.
(c) Six hours.
(d) One day.
3. In Chapter 12, what is the first item of clothing that Yuki takes out of the boxes?
(a) A pair of knitted mittens.
(b) Shizuko's dark purple kimono.
(c) Shizuko's favorite green dress.
(d) A skirt that Shizuko made for Yuki.
4. In Chapter 14, what does Masa believe about becoming an artist?
(a) Artists must work hard to find inspiration.
(b) Artists are lazy people who do not have real work.
(c) The only good type of art is painting.
(d) The great artists do not need college, and neither does Yuki.
5. In Chapter 11, how has Yuki's grandfather changed since she last saw him?
(a) He is slower to speak and move.
(b) He smiles more often.
(c) He is in a wheelchair.
(d) He does not speak to anyone.
6. At the end of Chapter 9, what is Yuki's reaction to what she has done with the dead frogs?
(a) She becomes angry with herself.
(b) She feels ashamed.
(c) She smiles.
(d) She becomes ill.
7. In Yuki's memories, who teaches her about the constellations in the sky?
8. At the end of Chapter 10, what does Yuki believe Shizuko would have wished for if given the chance?
(a) Someone to love.
(b) Money to pay off family debts.
(c) A good future for Yuki.
(d) A house with Mr. Kimura.
9. Why does Tadashi initially refuse to play on the slide?
(a) Etsuko never lets him use wooden playground equipment.
(b) There is a puddle of water at the base of the slide.
(c) The slide has rotted through on the bottom.
(d) He is too big and the wood will give him splinters.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 12, why does Yuki wait until midnight to sneak into the attic?
(a) The attic door is always locked and she must steal the key.
(b) The attic is too hot during the day to enter.
(c) She wants to wait until her father and stepmother are asleep.
(d) She is ashamed of her actions.
11. What does Yuki do with Mr. Kimura's business card?
(a) She puts the card in her drawer of handkerchiefs and forgets it.
(b) She puts the card in her little white purse.
(c) She uses it to call Mr. Kimura.
(d) She throws the card in the trash bin.
12. Where does Yuki meet Isamu?
(a) In a biology classroom.
(b) Outside of the boardinghouse.
(c) During an art exhibit.
(d) At the college library.
13. How does Yuki feel about public speaking?
(a) It makes her angry because no one listens.
(b) It never makes her happy.
(c) It makes her feel queasy.
(d) It never makes her nervous.
14. What does Yuki do with the jar of dead frogs?
(a) She empties the jar outside the window and then fills it with leaves.
(b) She hides the jar in one of the school storage closets.
(c) She takes the jar outside and hides it in the woods.
(d) She breaks the jar open on the classroom floor.
15. What does Yuki find at the bottom of the boxes?
(a) Family photographs.
(b) Shizuko's jewelry.
(c) Old tea sets.
(d) Shizuko's letters to Yuki.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Takeo dream about in Chapter 14?
2. What does Mr. Kimura teach when he meets Yuki in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 11, who thus far is the only person Yuki daydreams about?
4. What does the smell of formaldehyde remind Yuki of in Chapter 9?
5. In fourth grade, what does Shizuko say about the picture of the emperor?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)