|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Shizuko tell ten-year-old Yuki about divorced families?
(a) The mother almost always ends up alone.
(b) The mother gets to take all of the children with her.
(c) It is always the father's fault.
(d) There are very few divorces in Japan.
2. What does Mr. Kimura teach when he meets Yuki in Chapter 10?
3. How does Yuki feel about public speaking?
(a) It never makes her happy.
(b) It never makes her nervous.
(c) It makes her angry because no one listens.
(d) It makes her feel queasy.
4. At the end of Chapter 15, why does Yuki ask Isamu to meet her in the park?
(a) Yuki is ready to be happy and embrace love.
(b) Isamu forgot his camera and Yuki is going to return it.
(c) The park is a good place for taking pictures.
(d) Yuki is going to tell Isamu that they cannot be together.
5. Who is Mr. Kimura?
(a) He is Aya's high school sweetheart.
(b) He is one of Yuki's school teachers.
(c) He is a friend of Yuki's father.
(d) He went to school with Shizuko.
6. Why is Hideki going to allow Yuki to attend her Aunt Aya's wedding?
(a) Hideki owes Aya a favor for taking care of Yuki for a year.
(b) Hideki is still good friends with Aya, despite the past.
(c) Yuki will break things in the house if she is not allowed to go.
(d) Hanae would like Yuki out of the house for a few days.
7. What is Yuki's pervading thought when she first learns that Takeo is dead?
(a) She feels alone, just like after Shizuko's death.
(b) She does not care about her work anymore.
(c) She wishes she had seen Takeo more often.
(d) She hates that Takeo died so violently.
8. In Chapter 13, when Hideki notes that there is much to be said for great love and loyalty, whose love and loyalty does he refer to?
9. What does Takeo dream about in Chapter 14?
(a) Shizuko coming to tell him that she is all right.
(b) The voices of hundreds of school children.
(c) A quiet morning in the mountains.
(d) A garden that is full of dead flowers.
10. In Chapter 11, how has Yuki's grandfather changed since she last saw him?
(a) He smiles more often.
(b) He is in a wheelchair.
(c) He does not speak to anyone.
(d) He is slower to speak and move.
11. Why does Hideki no longer fear what death will be like?
(a) He does not think death can be worse than living.
(b) He believes there is nothing beyond this life.
(c) He knows there will be peace after dying.
(d) He looks forward to the day when he will die.
12. In Chapter 15, what does Isamu tell Yuki as they sit in the garden?
(a) Yuki's photographs are beautiful.
(b) Masa is strong enough to move on from Takeo's death.
(c) There is nothing ugly about this world.
(d) Things will work out.
13. At the end of Chapter 9, what is Yuki's reaction to what she has done with the dead frogs?
(a) She becomes ill.
(b) She smiles.
(c) She becomes angry with herself.
(d) She feels ashamed.
14. What does Yuki tell Hideki and Hanae before leaving for Nagasaki?
(a) She feels nothing but disdain for them.
(b) She is going to become a famous artist.
(c) She does not think she will ever come back.
(d) She will be writing every month to Hideki.
15. What does Mr. Kimura bring Yuki when he joins her outside in Chapter 11?
(a) A pair of mittens.
(b) A book that Shizuko liked.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) Yuki's sea-green jacket.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 12, why does Yuki wait until midnight to sneak into the attic?
2. What is the cause of Takeo's death in Chapter 14?
3. How much longer does Yuki have until she leaves for Nagasaki?
4. What color are the leaves that Yuki collects for her class?
5. As Yuki lies down to bed, what is she trying to imagine?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)