|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hideki going to allow Yuki to attend her Aunt Aya's wedding?
(a) Hideki owes Aya a favor for taking care of Yuki for a year.
(b) Yuki will break things in the house if she is not allowed to go.
(c) Hanae would like Yuki out of the house for a few days.
(d) Hideki is still good friends with Aya, despite the past.
2. At the end of Chapter 15, why does Yuki ask Isamu to meet her in the park?
(a) Yuki is going to tell Isamu that they cannot be together.
(b) Isamu forgot his camera and Yuki is going to return it.
(c) The park is a good place for taking pictures.
(d) Yuki is ready to be happy and embrace love.
3. How much longer does Yuki have until she leaves for Nagasaki?
(a) A week.
(b) Six hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days.
4. What does Yuki threaten Mr. Sato with in Chapter 15?
(a) A rock.
(b) A fork.
(c) A book.
(d) A restraining order.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 12, why does Yuki wait until midnight to sneak into the attic?
(a) The attic door is always locked and she must steal the key.
(b) The attic is too hot during the day to enter.
(c) She is ashamed of her actions.
(d) She wants to wait until her father and stepmother are asleep.
6. After Shizuko's death, Masa begins to plant more:
(b) Morning glories.
7. How does Takeo feel about the land reform?
(a) He understands that reform needed to happen to save the country.
(b) He gloats about how little has changed, despite the reform.
(c) He is unhappy with the harsh treatment of landowners.
(d) He is bitter that he has lost so much land due to reform.
8. In Chapter 14, what does Masa believe about becoming an artist?
(a) Artists must work hard to find inspiration.
(b) The only good type of art is painting.
(c) Artists are lazy people who do not have real work.
(d) The great artists do not need college, and neither does Yuki.
9. Why did Shizuko keep all of Yuki's childhood items stored in boxes?
(a) To keep Yuki's things from becoming damaged.
(b) So that Shizuko and Yuki could look at the items when they are older.
(c) Someday, Yuki may have a daughter who needs these items.
(d) Yuki's things get in the way downstairs.
10. Who gives Yuki the letter from her Aunt Aya in the beginning of Chapter 10?
11. How does Shizuko help the golden carp as a schoolgirl?
(a) She stops a classmate from trying to hurt the carp.
(b) She feeds the golden carp in a pond.
(c) She puts the carp in a clean watering pool.
(d) She puts the carp back in the water after it jumps onto land.
12. Select the character below who says, "I don't want to fit in."
(a) Mr. Kimura.
13. In Chapter 11, how has Yuki's grandfather changed since she last saw him?
(a) He does not speak to anyone.
(b) He is in a wheelchair.
(c) He is slower to speak and move.
(d) He smiles more often.
14. How do some of Yuki's friends in homemaking class fix their poor sewing?
(a) Yuki's friends convince their mothers to help them.
(b) Yuki's friends practice very hard after class.
(c) Yuki is convinced to help her friends straighten their stitches.
(d) The teacher holds a special class for Yuki and her friends.
15. What color are the leaves that Yuki collects for her class?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuki do with the jar of dead frogs?
2. What does Yuki do with Mr. Kimura's business card?
3. In Chapter 11, what reason does Yuki give for not wanting to fall in love?
4. How long is the speech on Monet's painting that Yuki recalls giving during Chapter 12?
5. What does Mr. Kimura teach when he meets Yuki in Chapter 10?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)