|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, why is Yuki unable to sleep the night Mr. Kimura visits the house?
(a) She can hear Mr. Kimura and Shizuko talking too loudly.
(b) She feels ill from the sandwich she had for dinner.
(c) She is worried about a swimming competition.
(d) She cannot stop thinking about divorce.
2. What is the cause of Takeo's death in Chapter 14?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) A tumor.
(c) A stroke.
3. What does Yuki find at the bottom of the boxes?
(a) Shizuko's letters to Yuki.
(b) Family photographs.
(c) Old tea sets.
(d) Shizuko's jewelry.
4. In Chapter 12, how does Yuki use the time given to her for a speech about Monet's painting?
(a) She is silent and does nothing but smile.
(b) She explains why the green parasol is beautiful.
(c) She says that the painting is a metaphor for death.
(d) She tells the class about why her mother liked the painting.
5. How does Yuki feel about public speaking?
(a) It makes her feel queasy.
(b) It never makes her nervous.
(c) It makes her angry because no one listens.
(d) It never makes her happy.
6. In Chapter 11, what reason does Yuki give for not wanting to fall in love?
(a) Husbands only ignore their wives.
(b) The children from a marriage are rarely happy.
(c) Love often comes to nothing one way or another.
(d) There is no time to fall in love with Yuki's busy schedule.
7. In Chapter 11, who thus far is the only person Yuki daydreams about?
(a) The boys at school.
(d) The boy who works at the library.
8. Why is Hideki going to allow Yuki to attend her Aunt Aya's wedding?
(a) Hideki is still good friends with Aya, despite the past.
(b) Hanae would like Yuki out of the house for a few days.
(c) Yuki will break things in the house if she is not allowed to go.
(d) Hideki owes Aya a favor for taking care of Yuki for a year.
9. What lesson does Yuki fail to learn from her grandfather?
(a) How to write neatly instead of cramped and small.
(b) How to be quiet until the world is peaceful.
(c) How to plant morning glories.
(d) How to recognize all of the constellations in the sky.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 12, why does Yuki wait until midnight to sneak into the attic?
(a) She wants to wait until her father and stepmother are asleep.
(b) The attic door is always locked and she must steal the key.
(c) She is ashamed of her actions.
(d) The attic is too hot during the day to enter.
11. Why does Yuki repack all of the boxes in the attic and leave them behind?
(a) Shizuko cannot be summed up in a few material possessions.
(b) The many years of neglect have ruined Shizuko's things.
(c) Yuki decides she cannot hold onto the past.
(d) Yuki cannot afford to ship any of these items to her new home.
12. What does Yuki do with the jar of dead frogs?
(a) She empties the jar outside the window and then fills it with leaves.
(b) She breaks the jar open on the classroom floor.
(c) She hides the jar in one of the school storage closets.
(d) She takes the jar outside and hides it in the woods.
13. What emotion does Masa always recognize in Yuki's face in Chapter 14?
14. What does Hideki decide to do with Shizuko's sketchbook in Chapter 13?
(a) Mail it to Aya.
(b) Burn it before anyone can see the sketches inside.
(c) Hide it so that he may look at the pages later.
(d) Send it to Yuki's new residence in Nagasaki.
15. How does Mr. Wada react when Yuki tells him she does not want to dissect a frog?
(a) He is angry because Yuki is not telling the truth.
(b) He is proud of Yuki for explaining her beliefs in a logical way.
(c) He thinks that Yuki is only joking.
(d) Mr. Wada is disappointed that Yuki cannot enjoy the scientific process.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tadashi initially refuse to play on the slide?
2. In Chapter 16, where does Masa sleep after Takeo's death?
3. What does Mr. Kimura teach when he meets Yuki in Chapter 10?
4. In Yuki's memories, who teaches her about the constellations in the sky?
5. Where does Yuki meet Isamu?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)