|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Yuki the letter from her Aunt Aya in the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. At the end of Chapter 15, why does Yuki ask Isamu to meet her in the park?
(a) Yuki is ready to be happy and embrace love.
(b) Yuki is going to tell Isamu that they cannot be together.
(c) The park is a good place for taking pictures.
(d) Isamu forgot his camera and Yuki is going to return it.
3. Why does Tadashi initially refuse to play on the slide?
(a) There is a puddle of water at the base of the slide.
(b) He is too big and the wood will give him splinters.
(c) Etsuko never lets him use wooden playground equipment.
(d) The slide has rotted through on the bottom.
4. How does Yuki feel about public speaking?
(a) It never makes her happy.
(b) It never makes her nervous.
(c) It makes her angry because no one listens.
(d) It makes her feel queasy.
5. In Chapter 11, what reason does Yuki give for not wanting to fall in love?
(a) Love often comes to nothing one way or another.
(b) There is no time to fall in love with Yuki's busy schedule.
(c) The children from a marriage are rarely happy.
(d) Husbands only ignore their wives.
6. At the end of Chapter 10, what does Yuki believe Shizuko would have wished for if given the chance?
(a) Someone to love.
(b) A house with Mr. Kimura.
(c) A good future for Yuki.
(d) Money to pay off family debts.
7. What color are the leaves that Yuki collects for her class?
8. Who is Mr. Kimura?
(a) He is one of Yuki's school teachers.
(b) He is Aya's high school sweetheart.
(c) He is a friend of Yuki's father.
(d) He went to school with Shizuko.
9. Where does Yuki meet Isamu?
(a) In a biology classroom.
(b) Outside of the boardinghouse.
(c) During an art exhibit.
(d) At the college library.
10. How does Mr. Wada react when Yuki tells him she does not want to dissect a frog?
(a) Mr. Wada is disappointed that Yuki cannot enjoy the scientific process.
(b) He is proud of Yuki for explaining her beliefs in a logical way.
(c) He thinks that Yuki is only joking.
(d) He is angry because Yuki is not telling the truth.
11. What emotions does Hideki feel after Yuki leaves for Nagasaki?
(a) Guilt, annoyance, and relief.
(b) Pride and affection.
(c) Longing and sadness.
(d) Displeasure and anger.
12. In Chapter 14, what does Etsuko do with the flowers that Masa gives her?
(a) Creates beautiful table placements for Masa.
(b) Weaves wreaths and basket decorations to sell.
(c) Replants the flowers in the backyard garden.
(d) Sends a bouquet to Yuki.
13. At the end of Chapter 14, where does Yuki go to take a break?
(a) A lounge.
(b) The street outside.
(c) The balcony.
(d) The restroom.
14. In Chapter 11, how has Yuki's grandfather changed since she last saw him?
(a) He is slower to speak and move.
(b) He smiles more often.
(c) He is in a wheelchair.
(d) He does not speak to anyone.
15. In Chapter 12, what is the first item of clothing that Yuki takes out of the boxes?
(a) A skirt that Shizuko made for Yuki.
(b) Shizuko's favorite green dress.
(c) Shizuko's dark purple kimono.
(d) A pair of knitted mittens.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Yuki's memories, who teaches her about the constellations in the sky?
2. What does the smell of formaldehyde remind Yuki of in Chapter 9?
3. Select the character below who says, "I don't want to fit in."
4. What is Yuki's pervading thought when she first learns that Takeo is dead?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 11, who is Saburo's wife?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)