|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shizuko do immediately after her phone call with Yuki in Chapter 1?
(a) She cleans her closet.
(b) She goes into her den and writes goodbye notes.
(c) She finishes sewing Yuki's new skirt.
(d) She cooks a stew.
2. What is Yuki's school grade level in Chapter 5?
3. Why is Shizuko impressed by Yuki?
(a) She is impressed because Yuki doesn't cry when she is in pain.
(b) She is impressed because Yuki ran against a boy and became class president, which is very rare.
(c) She is impressed because Yuki is the tallest girl on her track team.
(d) She is impressed because Yuki can stand on her head.
4. According to Hanae, the attic is full of:
(a) One thousand worthless things saved for Yuki.
(b) Evil spirits.
(c) Her off-season clothing.
(d) Cobwebs and mice.
5. Where does Yuki live the first year after Shizuko's death?
(a) In the United States, with her father Hideki and stepmother.
(b) In Tokyo, with her Aunt Aya.
(c) In Kobe, with her grandmother.
(d) In Kobe, with her mother.
6. What does Yuki wish that she had said to Sachiko and Mrs. Murai about the way her mother died?
(a) That her mother died of a broken heart.
(b) That her mother died after falling down the stairs.
(c) That her mother died because she was unhappy.
(d) That her mother died of cancer.
7. In Shizuko's dream at the beginning of Chapter 1, who is throwing rice cakes to a crowd?
(b) The piano teacher.
(c) The village carpenter.
8. What does Yuki do after changing her clothes on the day of the wake?
(a) She collects cherry blossoms to place on her mother's coffin.
(b) She goes to Miss Uozumi's house.
(c) She sits on the floor of her closet and cries.
(d) She lights a candle and sits at the altar to pray.
9. How has Yuki spent her summer Sundays?
(a) Competing in chess championships.
(b) Running with Sachiko.
(c) Watching movies.
(d) Shopping with her stepmother.
10. Which of the following events takes place at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Shizuko takes her own life by turning the gas oven on and inhaling the fumes.
(b) She takes Yuki to the doctor to have her knee stitched.
(c) She completes her cleaning projects.
(d) She confronts her husband about his infidelity.
11. Select the character below who says, "But you'll always beat me."
12. Who writes Yuki a letter in Chapter 4?
(a) Miss Uozumi.
13. How old is Yuki in Chapter 1?
14. Select the character below who says, "I remember her voice without her body and her body without her voice."
15. In Chapter 6, why has Sachiko decided not to go out for cross-country?
(a) She wants to take up horseback riding.
(b) She is tutoring other students after school.
(c) She is playing the lead role in a school play and must rehearse daily.
(d) She needs to help her mother with housework after school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives just as Yuki goes upstairs to change her clothes on the day of the wake?
2. Select the character below who says, "You won't even let me rest."
3. Where is the novel set in Chapter 1?
4. Who comes to watch Yuki run at her junior high track meets?
5. Why does Yuki feel queasy on the day of the wedding?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)