|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What special object does Yuki carry with her to the wedding?
(a) A candle.
(b) A pearl from her mother's hair comb.
(c) A white bead purse that her mother made for her.
(d) A lucky penny.
2. Select the character below who says, "I won't hear about you cutting your hair."
(a) Mrs. Murai.
3. What is Yuki's first response when she discovers her mother unconscious?
(a) Yuki drops her books, turns off the gas, and calls her father at work.
(b) Yuki runs to the neighbor's house to get help.
(c) Yuki cries and collapses onto the floor.
(d) Yuki walks to the living room and plays her mother's favorite song on the piano.
4. Why does Sachiko decide she does not want to call the boy on the train?
(a) She thinks her mother would disapprove.
(b) She thinks he is dangerous.
(c) She already has a boyfriend.
(d) She would not call a boy she does not know.
5. Select the character below who says, "If you can't do it without being told, then just try not to get in my way."
(a) Yuki's stepmother.
(b) Yuki's father Hideki.
(d) Yuki's Aunt Aya.
6. Why does Yuki's throat feel scratchy in Chapter 7?
(a) She ate strawberries that were unripe.
(b) She spent the night crying over the memory of her mother.
(c) She is dehydrated from the heat.
(d) She screamed during a motorcycle ride.
7. What do Yuki and her Aunt Aya do together just before the wake?
(a) Wash their hair in the kitchen sink.
(b) Pack Shizuko's clothes and other belongings.
(c) Clean the living room and drape the furniture in white sheets.
(d) Take the train from Tokyo to Kobe.
8. According to Dr. Takeda, whom does Yuki resemble?
(a) Her stepmother.
(b) Her mother Shizuko.
9. What did Shizuko once teach Yuki to do with azaleas?
(a) Pick a blossom and weave it into her hair.
(b) Pick a blossom, pull off the calyx, blow out the pollen, and taste the inside of the flower.
(c) Pick a blossom, pull off the calyx, and remove the seeds to grow more flowers.
(d) Pick a blossom and use the pollen as a pigment to make homemade watercolor paint.
10. Select the character below who says, "I remember her voice without her body and her body without her voice."
11. Where does Yuki live the first year after Shizuko's death?
(a) In Kobe, with her grandmother.
(b) In the United States, with her father Hideki and stepmother.
(c) In Tokyo, with her Aunt Aya.
(d) In Kobe, with her mother.
12. How does Hideki behave toward Yuki following Shizuko's death?
(a) Hideki showers Yuki with gifts.
(b) Hideki smothers Yuki with attention.
(c) Hideki shouts at Yuki every time he sees her.
(d) Hideki hardly speaks to Yuki.
13. How has Yuki spent her summer Sundays?
(a) Competing in chess championships.
(b) Running with Sachiko.
(c) Watching movies.
(d) Shopping with her stepmother.
14. In what month does Chapter 6, Sundays, begin?
15. Who rearranged furniture to prepare for the wake?
(a) The men.
(b) Yuki and her aunt.
(c) Yuki and her father.
(d) Yuki's grandmother and aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. With the exception of Yuki's father and new wife, what do adults say to Yuki when she does something deserving of praise?
2. In Chapter 4, which room in the house has not changed since Yuki's stepmother moved in?
3. Who trips and falls at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. How does it make Hanae feel when she receives compliments from others about Yuki?
5. What does Yuki recall doing in the living room with Shizuko?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)