|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hanae, the attic is full of:
(a) One thousand worthless things saved for Yuki.
(b) Cobwebs and mice.
(c) Evil spirits.
(d) Her off-season clothing.
2. How does Yuki feel about her father's new bride?
(a) Yuki is afraid of her because she looks just like Shizuko.
(b) Yuki loves her from the moment they meet.
(c) Yuki does not like her.
(d) Yuki wants to be friends with her but senses this is not possible.
3. No matter how much she looks, what can Hanae never find in Yuki's room?
(a) The birthday presents hidden in there.
(b) The keys to Yuki's desk drawers.
(c) The key to Yuki's diary.
(d) A spot of dust.
4. Which character is introduced at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Yuki's father, Hideki.
(b) Yuki's grandmother Masa.
(c) Hideki's bride.
(d) Yuki's Aunt Aya.
5. Where is the novel set in Chapter 1?
6. What is Yuki's first response when she discovers her mother unconscious?
(a) Yuki runs to the neighbor's house to get help.
(b) Yuki walks to the living room and plays her mother's favorite song on the piano.
(c) Yuki cries and collapses onto the floor.
(d) Yuki drops her books, turns off the gas, and calls her father at work.
7. Which fruit does Yuki offer to pick while at her grandparents' home?
8. Why does Yuki apologize to Masa in Chapter 7?
(a) She has eaten all of the strawberries.
(b) She has broken the glass window screen.
(c) She has been mean to her grandparents.
(d) She has forgotten how to pray.
9. What do Yuki and her Aunt Aya do together just before the wake?
(a) Wash their hair in the kitchen sink.
(b) Take the train from Tokyo to Kobe.
(c) Clean the living room and drape the furniture in white sheets.
(d) Pack Shizuko's clothes and other belongings.
10. Which character is introduced in Chapter 5?
11. Who writes Yuki a letter in Chapter 4?
(c) Miss Uozumi.
12. For what does Hanae blame Hideki?
(a) He forced her to keep that old teapot.
(b) He never taught her to drive properly.
(c) He kept a messy home.
(d) He allowed her to become a barren woman.
13. According to Shizuko, why didn't Hideki cry at his mother's funeral?
(a) He did not love her.
(b) He was left out of her will.
(c) He was the black sheep of the family.
(d) He did not like her very much.
14. To whom does Shizuko write notes in Chapter 1?
(a) Hideki and her mother.
(b) Hideki and Yuki.
(c) Miss Uozumi and her mother.
(d) The village carpenter and Yuki.
15. In Chapter 4, what does Yuki remove from the refrigerator?
(a) Ice water.
(b) Leftover rice.
(c) A glass of orange juice.
(d) An apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yuki's school grade level in Chapter 5?
2. With the exception of Yuki's father and new wife, what do adults say to Yuki when she does something deserving of praise?
3. Why does Yuki apologize to Shizuko in Chapter 4?
4. Select the character below who says, "I remember her voice without her body and her body without her voice."
5. Why do Yuki and Aunt Aya go to Kobe at the beginning of Chapter 3?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)