|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shizuko once teach Yuki to do with azaleas?
(a) Pick a blossom and weave it into her hair.
(b) Pick a blossom and use the pollen as a pigment to make homemade watercolor paint.
(c) Pick a blossom, pull off the calyx, and remove the seeds to grow more flowers.
(d) Pick a blossom, pull off the calyx, blow out the pollen, and taste the inside of the flower.
2. Who comes to watch Yuki run at her junior high track meets?
(a) Her Aunt Aya.
(b) Her entire family, including her grandmother, Aunt Aya, her father Hideki, and her stepmother.
(c) Her father Hideki.
(d) Nobody from her family ever comes to the meets.
3. What does Shizuko's mother say the morning of the wake?
(a) "I always knew she suffered from depression."
(b) "I am not surprised that she chose to end her own life."
(c) "I thought my children would outlive me a long time."
(d) "I never knew she suffered from depression."
4. In what month does Chapter 6, Sundays, begin?
5. Select the character below who says, "I won't hear about you cutting your hair."
(b) Mrs. Murai.
6. Where is the novel set in Chapter 1?
7. Why do Yuki and Aunt Aya go to Kobe at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) They are there to attend Yuki's grandmother's funeral.
(b) They are there to visit Shizuko's grave. It is the first anniversary of her death.
(c) They are there to attend the wedding of Hideki and his new bride. After the wedding, Yuki will move in with her father and new stepmother.
(d) They are there for Yuki's piano recital. It is Yuki's first recital since her mother's death.
8. In Chapter 1, why is Yuki going to be late for dinner?
(a) She is waiting for her piano teacher, who is running late.
(b) She is tutoring students at school.
(c) She is going to a friend's house to collect flowers.
(d) She got into a fight at baseball practice and injured her knee.
9. How does Yuki feel about her father's new bride?
(a) Yuki does not like her.
(b) Yuki is afraid of her because she looks just like Shizuko.
(c) Yuki loves her from the moment they meet.
(d) Yuki wants to be friends with her but senses this is not possible.
10. What kind of clothes did Shizuko make for Yuki before she died?
(a) Shizuko knitted sweaters in bright red, purple, or turquoise.
(b) Shizuko sewed traditional kimonos in red and green.
(c) Shizuko sewed silk dresses in yellow and white.
(d) Shizuko embroidered butterflies on denim jeans.
11. What does Sachiko invite Yuki to do at the track meet?
(a) Go shopping at the mall.
(b) Meet in a park and run together.
(c) Go watch a movie.
(d) Plant azaleas.
12. Which of the following events takes place at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) She takes Yuki to the doctor to have her knee stitched.
(b) She completes her cleaning projects.
(c) Shizuko takes her own life by turning the gas oven on and inhaling the fumes.
(d) She confronts her husband about his infidelity.
13. Who trips and falls at the beginning of Chapter 7?
14. What does Hideki's bride wear to the wedding ceremony?
(a) A black evening gown.
(b) A Western-style dress.
(c) A gray jumper.
(d) A traditional kimono.
15. In Chapter 4, which room in the house has not changed since Yuki's stepmother moved in?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Yuki's room.
(c) The dining room.
(d) The living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Select the character below who says, "She has not taught you good manners, it seems."
2. Where does the wedding of Hideki and his new bride take place?
3. In what year does Yuki's father get remarried?
4. According to Hanae, the attic is full of:
5. Which fruit does Yuki offer to pick while at her grandparents' home?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)