|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yuki apologize to Masa in Chapter 7?
(a) She has broken the glass window screen.
(b) She has been mean to her grandparents.
(c) She has eaten all of the strawberries.
(d) She has forgotten how to pray.
2. For what does Hanae blame Hideki?
(a) He forced her to keep that old teapot.
(b) He never taught her to drive properly.
(c) He allowed her to become a barren woman.
(d) He kept a messy home.
3. What is Yuki's first response when she discovers her mother unconscious?
(a) Yuki cries and collapses onto the floor.
(b) Yuki drops her books, turns off the gas, and calls her father at work.
(c) Yuki runs to the neighbor's house to get help.
(d) Yuki walks to the living room and plays her mother's favorite song on the piano.
4. What does Shizuko pack from her yard to move to the new house?
(c) The garden spade.
(d) The tea table.
5. According to Hanae, what does Yuki do that most Japanese children are taught not to do?
(a) Give money to the poor.
(b) Look at adults directly in the eyes.
(c) Clean the house.
(d) Walk outside after dark.
6. Which sentence best characterizes Yuki's behavior on the day of the wake?
(a) Yuki is happy to finally have all of her father's attention.
(b) Yuki is well-behaved and keeps her composure.
(c) Yuki has a temper tantrum and is sent to her room.
(d) Yuki cries continuously throughout the day.
7. Why is Shizuko standing on her tiptoes in the wedding photo that Yuki carries with her?
(a) She thought she would look thinner if she stood on her tiptoes.
(b) Her dress had beadwork on the waist and the photographer asked her to stand taller so he could capture it.
(c) Her dress was too long and she did not want the hem to show.
(d) She is so short that Hideki looked like a giant next to her unless she stood on her tiptoes.
8. Select the character below who says, "You won't even let me rest."
(b) Yuki's stepmother.
9. In what year does Yuki's father get remarried?
10. What does Hanae's doctor mean when he tells her it is too late?
(a) She will die soon of cancer; there is no point in pursuing treatment.
(b) She will never again look like a teenager.
(c) She will never see again due to her extended exposure to cleaning chemicals.
(d) She can no longer have children; she waited too long to see him.
11. What does Yuki wish that she had said to Sachiko and Mrs. Murai about the way her mother died?
(a) That her mother died of cancer.
(b) That her mother died after falling down the stairs.
(c) That her mother died of a broken heart.
(d) That her mother died because she was unhappy.
12. Select the character below who says, "She has not taught you good manners, it seems."
13. Select the character below who says, "I don't pretend. I hate you."
14. What does Yuki do after changing her clothes on the day of the wake?
(a) She lights a candle and sits at the altar to pray.
(b) She goes to Miss Uozumi's house.
(c) She collects cherry blossoms to place on her mother's coffin.
(d) She sits on the floor of her closet and cries.
15. To whom does Shizuko write notes in Chapter 1?
(a) Hideki and Yuki.
(b) Hideki and her mother.
(c) The village carpenter and Yuki.
(d) Miss Uozumi and her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shizuko say about her clothes as she packs them to prepare for a move?
2. What is the only thing in the kitchen that has not been changed by Yuki's stepmother after she moves into the house?
3. What causes Shizuko to wake up from her nap in Chapter 1?
4. According to Hanae, whenever she goes into the attic, she thinks of:
5. Which fruit does Yuki offer to pick while at her grandparents' home?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)