|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Select the character below who says, "I'm very competitive. I can't stand losing."
2. What does Shizuko pack from her yard to move to the new house?
(a) The tea table.
(d) The garden spade.
3. Why does Hideki think they should lie about the way her mother died?
(a) If they admitted the truth, people would say that she came from a mentally unstable family.
(b) If they admitted the truth, people would think Hideki's infidelity had caused Shizuko to kill herself.
(c) If they admitted the truth, people would feel pity for them.
(d) If they admitted the truth, nobody would want to come to their home.
4. Who rearranged furniture to prepare for the wake?
(a) The men.
(b) Yuki and her aunt.
(c) Yuki and her father.
(d) Yuki's grandmother and aunt.
5. Which sentence best characterizes Yuki's behavior on the day of the wake?
(a) Yuki cries continuously throughout the day.
(b) Yuki has a temper tantrum and is sent to her room.
(c) Yuki is happy to finally have all of her father's attention.
(d) Yuki is well-behaved and keeps her composure.
6. What kind of a student is Yuki?
(a) She is more of an athlete than a scholar.
(b) She is easily the brightest in her class.
(c) She is strong in most subjects except for art.
(d) She struggles to keep up with her lessons.
7. According to Shizuko, what is the best kind of pottery?
(a) The kind that you get in China.
(b) The kind that you could use every day.
(c) The kind sold at department stores.
(d) The kind covered in flowers.
8. No matter how much she looks, what can Hanae never find in Yuki's room?
(a) A spot of dust.
(b) The key to Yuki's diary.
(c) The birthday presents hidden in there.
(d) The keys to Yuki's desk drawers.
9. In Shizuko's dream at the beginning of Chapter 1, who is throwing rice cakes to a crowd?
(a) The village carpenter.
(c) The piano teacher.
10. What happens to the large earthenware bowl during the wedding ceremony of Hideki and his new bride?
(a) Hideki drops it and it breaks.
(b) Yuki drops it and it breaks.
(c) Aunt Aya throws it out the window and it lands in the harbor.
(d) Yuki hides it in her closet after the ceremony.
11. How old is Yuki in Chapter 1?
12. What details are revealed about Shizuko's husband in Chapter 1?
(a) He is devoted to his wife and a doting father to Yuki.
(b) He is devoted to his wife but cold toward Yuki.
(c) He is unfaithful to his wife but spends all his free time with Yuki.
(d) He is unfaithful to his wife and too busy to spend time with Yuki.
13. What does Yuki offer to do when she speaks to Shizuko on the phone in Chapter 1?
(a) Pay her piano teacher.
(b) Come home immediately and fix supper.
(c) Apologize for starting a fight at baseball practice.
(d) Collect cherry blossoms for a wreath.
14. In Chapter 6, why has Sachiko decided not to go out for cross-country?
(a) She is tutoring other students after school.
(b) She wants to take up horseback riding.
(c) She is playing the lead role in a school play and must rehearse daily.
(d) She needs to help her mother with housework after school.
15. Where does the wake take place?
(a) In the park where Shizuko loved to catch cherry blossoms.
(b) In Yuki's house.
(c) In the village funeral parlor.
(d) In Tokyo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Select the character below who says, "Promise me you'll stay out of trouble from now on."
2. What does Shizuko do immediately after her phone call with Yuki in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Yuki remove from the refrigerator?
4. To whom does Shizuko write notes in Chapter 1?
5. What kind of clothes did Shizuko make for Yuki before she died?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)