|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 Tiptoes (April 1970).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the novel set in Chapter 1?
2. Why do Yuki and Aunt Aya go to Kobe at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) They are there to visit Shizuko's grave. It is the first anniversary of her death.
(b) They are there for Yuki's piano recital. It is Yuki's first recital since her mother's death.
(c) They are there to attend Yuki's grandmother's funeral.
(d) They are there to attend the wedding of Hideki and his new bride. After the wedding, Yuki will move in with her father and new stepmother.
3. What is Yuki's first response when she discovers her mother unconscious?
(a) Yuki walks to the living room and plays her mother's favorite song on the piano.
(b) Yuki runs to the neighbor's house to get help.
(c) Yuki cries and collapses onto the floor.
(d) Yuki drops her books, turns off the gas, and calls her father at work.
4. How does Hideki behave toward Yuki following Shizuko's death?
(a) Hideki hardly speaks to Yuki.
(b) Hideki smothers Yuki with attention.
(c) Hideki shouts at Yuki every time he sees her.
(d) Hideki showers Yuki with gifts.
5. Which of the following events takes place at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) She completes her cleaning projects.
(b) Shizuko takes her own life by turning the gas oven on and inhaling the fumes.
(c) She confronts her husband about his infidelity.
(d) She takes Yuki to the doctor to have her knee stitched.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why is Yuki going to be late for dinner?
2. What do Yuki and her Aunt Aya do together just before the wake?
3. What does Shizuko do immediately after her phone call with Yuki in Chapter 1?
4. In what year does Yuki's father get remarried?
5. What causes Shizuko to wake up from her nap in Chapter 1?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)