Chapter 1 House Bound (March 1969)
1. In Shizuko's dream at the beginning of Chapter 1, who is throwing rice cakes to a crowd?
(a) The piano teacher.
(d) The village carpenter.
2. Where is the novel set in Chapter 1?
3. What causes Shizuko to wake up from her nap in Chapter 1?
(a) Cherry blossom petals fall on her.
(b) She smells gas.
(c) The telephone rings.
(d) She hears crashing thunder.
4. Where is Yuki in Chapter 1?
(b) A friend's house.
(c) A village celebration.
(d) Miss Uozumi's house.
5. In Chapter 1, why is Yuki going to be late for dinner?
(a) She got into a fight at baseball practice and injured her knee.
(b) She is tutoring students at school.
(c) She is going to a friend's house to collect flowers.
(d) She is waiting for her piano teacher, who is running late.
6. To whom does Shizuko write notes in Chapter 1?
(a) The village carpenter and Yuki.
(b) Hideki and Yuki.
(c) Hideki and her mother.
(d) Miss Uozumi and her mother.
This section contains 6,567 words
(approx. 22 pages at 300 words per page)