Chapter 1 House Bound (March 1969)
• While napping, Shizuko dreams that she is in her childhood village taking part in a traditional celebration.
• The setting of Shizuko's dream changes, and her daughter Yuki is chasing tree petals in a park.
• Shizuko receives a phone call from Yuki, who says that that her piano lesson will be delayed.
• Yuki offers to come home early and make her mother supper; Shizuko insists that she stays for her lesson.
• Shizuko regrets that she wasted the day on aimless tasks when she could have organized her belongings.
• Shizuko writes two goodbye letters: one for her husband Hideki and one for Yuki.
• Shizuko turns on the gas stove and grows dizzy from the fumes.
• Regretful that she wished Hideki happiness in the note, Shizuko rips it up before losing consciousness.
Chapter 2 The Wake (March 1969)
• It is the day after Shizuko's suicide, and preparations for her...
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)