|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam realize about Beck's Tahoe?
2. What does Grace ask Sam after her parents leave the room?
3. Who educated Sam about being a werewolf?
4. Where is Grace when she tells her parents that Sam suffered abuse as a child?
5. What does Grace tell Isabel about Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam dream about in chapter thirty-three?
2. What does Grace ask Sam concerning his request to see her mother's studio and what does Sam reply?
3. How does Grace respond to Isabel's questions?
4. What does Sam do in Mrs. Brisbane's studio?
5. Why does Grace have Sam stay seated on the couch when she hears her parents arriving,and how do her parents respond to Sam?
6. What does Sam say about the science or magic of a person becoming a wolf?
7. What does Sam ask Grace about concerning Grace's parents, and what is Grace's answer?
8. What shots do Grace and Sam receive and how could that have been avoided?
9. What questions does Isabel ask Sam and what are his answers?
10. Describe the conversation between Grace, Sam and Rachel when Sam and Grace arrive at school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Shiver". Questions that Stiefvater most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Stiefvater' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Stiefvater' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Stiefvater and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Shiver" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Shiver" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Shiver" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Shiver".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Shiver". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Shiver". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)