|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam realize about Beck's Tahoe?
2. What does Isabel show Grace?
3. What does Grace say she wants?
4. What does Sam know he has to tell Grace about changing?
5. Who is at Grace's house when she and Sam arrive there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Grace, Sam and Rachel when Sam and Grace arrive at school.
2. What does Sam say about the science or magic of a person becoming a wolf?
3. What does Sam dream about in chapter thirty-three?
4. What does Sam think about in chapter thirty-one from three years earlier?
5. What does Ulrick say is the result of educating Sam and how does Beck respond?
6. What do Sam and Grace discuss as far as the wolf attack on Grace?
7. What does Sam know he has to tell her and what does he finally tell her?
8. What does Sam ask Grace about concerning Grace's parents, and what is Grace's answer?
9. How does Sam become a werewolf?
10. What do Grace and Sam find when they return to Grace's house, and why does Sam remain in the car for a while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Shiver". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Stiefvater chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Stiefvater chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Stiefvater's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Stiefvater use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 2
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic in "Shiver". Who possesses paranormal abilities as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who have paranormal abilities impact the plot of "Shiver"?
2. Why do you think magic or special abilities exist in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic as a part of the storyline? Why or why not.
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to change to a wolf if there were such a talent in our world? Why or why not? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and sometimes it is the other way around. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Shiver" is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)