|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sam play the guitar?
2. Why is Grace disappointed in Olivia?
3. Why does Beck make Sam furious?
4. Who died of breast cancer?
5. What does Isabel show Grace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam remember about Shelby and what happens when he enters the Brisbane's kitchen?
2. What does Isabel Culpepper tell Grace?
3. What shots do Grace and Sam receive and how could that have been avoided?
4. Describe the conversation between Grace, Sam and Rachel when Sam and Grace arrive at school.
5. What does Sam say about the science or magic of a person becoming a wolf?
6. How does Grace respond to Isabel's questions?
7. Why does Mrs. Brisbane warn Grace about staying away from Sam?
8. What does Sam recall about Beck and Shelby?
9. Why does Grace have Sam stay seated on the couch when she hears her parents arriving,and how do her parents respond to Sam?
10. What photos does Isabel show Grace and how does Grace react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Shiver" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Shiver" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Shiver"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Shiver" including why you believe it is such a case. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Shiver" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Shiver belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)