|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sam remain in the Bronco while Grace goes in her house?
2. Who educated Sam about being a werewolf?
3. What does Sam realize about Shelby?
4. What does Sam hear Grace screaming?
5. Who is at Grace's house when she and Sam arrive there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam do in Mrs. Brisbane's studio?
2. How does Sam become a werewolf?
3. What do Grace and Sam find when they return to Grace's house, and why does Sam remain in the car for a while?
4. What photos does Isabel show Grace and how does Grace react?
5. What does Sam dream about in chapter thirty-three?
6. Why does Sam go to the post office and what does he realize from that trip?
7. What shots do Grace and Sam receive and how could that have been avoided?
8. What does Grace ask Sam concerning his request to see her mother's studio and what does Sam reply?
9. Discuss the exchange between Beck and Sam about the new recruits Beck creates.
10. Describe the conversation between Grace, Sam and Rachel when Sam and Grace arrive at school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Shiver". Questions that Stiefvater most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Stiefvater' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Stiefvater' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Stiefvater and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Shiver". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Stiefvater chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Stiefvater chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Stiefvater's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Stiefvater use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Maggie Stiefvater.
2. What in Stiefvater's background may have helped him in writing "Shiver"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)