|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sam play the guitar?
2. What is the Crooked Shelf?
3. What does Grace decline to do with her mother?
4. About whom is Grace worried?
5. What does Sam say about having a close-knit pack/family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam recall about Beck and Shelby?
2. What do Grace and Sam find when they return to Grace's house, and why does Sam remain in the car for a while?
3. What does Sam know he has to tell her and what does he finally tell her?
4. What photos does Isabel show Grace and how does Grace react?
5. Why does Mrs. Brisbane warn Grace about staying away from Sam?
6. How does Grace respond to Isabel's questions?
7. What does Sam remember about Shelby and what happens when he enters the Brisbane's kitchen?
8. What does Sam say about the science or magic of a person becoming a wolf?
9. What does Ulrick say is the result of educating Sam and how does Beck respond?
10. Why does Sam suddenly decide to leave the studio and what does he hear as he does so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Shiver". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Shiver". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in this book. Consider the change in Grace's lives and the other characters and the change from human to wolf and back.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Shiver".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Shiver". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Shiver". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of "Shiver", Grace grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Shiver might be considered a slice of Grace's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that Shiver is a "bildungsroman" of Grace Brisbane. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Grace as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Grace?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Grace's growth throughout "Shiver", do you think the book could be considered Grace's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Shiver" who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)