|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace see out of her bedroom window the night after her father makes his announcement?
2. What does Grace ask Sam?
3. What does Sam recall about Grace?
4. How do Grace and Sam interact when Sam returns to her house?
5. What can Sam detect at the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grace say about a spot in the woods where she and Sam pass through, and how does Sam explain it?
2. What pictures do Sam and Grace browse through and what does Sam say about them?
3. What confuses Sam about Grace having been bitten by a werewolf?
4. What does Sam relate about a time Grace comes in the bookstore with her two friends, Olivia and Rachel?
5. Describe Grace's encounter with Sam when she first caresses him in wolf form.
6. What does Sam remember about the attack on Grace by the wolves?
7. What does the nurse ask Grace when she takes Sam to the hospital?
8. What happens one day when Grace thinks she hears Jack Culpepper screaming for help?
9. What does Olivia show Grace when Grace is at the other girl's house, and how does Grace respond?
10. What happens that same night of her father's announcement when Grace is in her bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Shiver". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Stiefvater chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Stiefvater chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Stiefvater's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Stiefvater use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and sometimes it is the other way around. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Shiver" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Grace and Olivia. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Sam and Beck. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Shiver" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)