|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sam wish would be there?
2. What does Grace see out of her bedroom window the night after her father makes his announcement?
3. What happens to the werewolf?
4. What does Grace hear after John and Olivia leave her house?
5. What does Sam remember seeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sam go into the woods to a shed?
2. What disturbing thing does Grace learn about her father and how does she confront him about it?
3. What does Grace realize about the wolves in the area, and why does she realize it?
4. Describe Grace's encounter with Sam when she first caresses him in wolf form.
5. What does Olivia show Grace when Grace is at the other girl's house, and how does Grace respond?
6. Why does Sam go to the Culpepper house and what does he notice there?
7. What does the nurse ask Grace when she takes Sam to the hospital?
8. What happens when Sam is really cold when they arrive back at Grace's house after a walk?
9. What does Sam remember about the attack on Grace by the wolves?
10. What does Sam say about Shelby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Shiver".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Shiver". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Shiver". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Shiver". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Shiver". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in this book. Consider the change in Grace's lives and the other characters and the change from human to wolf and back.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Grace and Olivia. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Sam and Beck. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Shiver" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)