|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the passengers inappropriately fondles Elsa?
2. What has Herr Graf been able to do for people in the past?
3. At dinner, the topic of conversation turns to ___________________.
4. What item belonging to Frau Rittersdorf have Ric and Rac thrown overboard?
5. What health condition does Dr. Schumann struggle with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Spanish dancers are outraged that a carriage driver charges for each passenger as opposed to one flat fee, the author writes about the Spanish dancers in this way: "'Look, Senor, this carriage is for six persons, you are ten. I charge by the passenger.' 'That's mere robbery,' said Pancho, 'I will not pay it.'" What literary technique is used in this example? What is the author trying to say about the Spanish dancers?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of La Condesa? Who does she represent as a whole as she is being exiled from Cuba? What is the symbolism of Dr. Schumann's desire to help her and love her but his inability to do it in the end? Consider the nationalities of the characters. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are several themes in the book. Name at least two and cite examples that support your answers.
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)