|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A dinner to honor the captain is traditionally held __________ nights before the end of the trip?
2. Who is Mrs. Treadwell's roommate?
3. Where is La Condesa to be exiled?
4. What health condition does Dr. Schumann struggle with?
5. Denny thinks it is _____________ that a Jewish man would sell Catholic articles.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Spanish dancers are outraged that a carriage driver charges for each passenger as opposed to one flat fee, the author writes about the Spanish dancers in this way: "'Look, Senor, this carriage is for six persons, you are ten. I charge by the passenger.' 'That's mere robbery,' said Pancho, 'I will not pay it.'" What literary technique is used in this example? What is the author trying to say about the Spanish dancers?
Essay Topic 2
Religious difference and intolerance is a major theme in the story. What is going on on the world stage that would make the author include this as such an important element in the story? What points is she trying to make? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the setting for the novel? Why did the author choose to tell her story in this setting? Could the story have been told in a better setting or is this the perfect setting for the points she wanted to make?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)