|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the impromptu event in honor of Captain Thiele?
2. The captain worries about La Condesa spending so much time with ___________________ in her cabin.
3. With whom has Amparo been spending time?
4. What does La Condesa do with the items sent to her room by Captain Thiele?
5. Denny thinks it is _____________ that a Jewish man would sell Catholic articles.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the Spanish dancing troupe? What purpose do they serve for the story? Why has the author included them? Why are the other characters so averse to them? Why do they make themselves so unlikable?
Essay Topic 2
It is clear that the passengers have many differences. Cite some of them. Now cite some of the similarities that the passengers have that are common to all people.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of La Condesa? Who does she represent as a whole as she is being exiled from Cuba? What is the symbolism of Dr. Schumann's desire to help her and love her but his inability to do it in the end? Consider the nationalities of the characters. Explain.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)