|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lizzi think Freytag is audacious to sit at the Captain's table for meals?
2. How does Mrs. Treadwell pass the time in her room?
3. Who is the Swedish girl who shares a cabin with Jenny?
4. Which one of the passengers inappropriately fondles Elsa?
5. Who must La Condesa leave behind in Cuba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of La Condesa? Who does she represent as a whole as she is being exiled from Cuba? What is the symbolism of Dr. Schumann's desire to help her and love her but his inability to do it in the end? Consider the nationalities of the characters. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the characters of Ric and Rac as symbols of enacting the minor terrors the adults wish they could affect on others. Explain why the twins' behavior is a conduit of what the adults want to do? Why does the author use the twins for this vehicle?
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that the passengers have many differences. Cite some of them. Now cite some of the similarities that the passengers have that are common to all people.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)