|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ship dock on the third day of sailing?
2. Where are the characters confined?
3. What is the name of the Huttens' bulldog?
4. Who are the two Mexican Catholic priests traveling to Spain?
5. Who is La Condesa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shared experiences do the passengers have?
2. Explain the author's point of view for the story.
3. What argument between Johann and his uncle makes Johann late for the fiesta?
4. What does Dr. Schumann think as he watches the people board?
5. Describe the burgeoning relationship between Dr. Schumann and La Condesa.
6. Where does the ship dock as this chapter begins?
7. What does Dr. Schumann realize after having a conversation with Herr Graf?
8. What are the Huttens feeling toward the group of Spanish dancers?
9. What is the situation with the Lutz family?
10. How do the local people view the departing travelers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Spanish dancers are outraged that a carriage driver charges for each passenger as opposed to one flat fee, the author writes about the Spanish dancers in this way: "'Look, Senor, this carriage is for six persons, you are ten. I charge by the passenger.' 'That's mere robbery,' said Pancho, 'I will not pay it.'" What literary technique is used in this example? What is the author trying to say about the Spanish dancers?
Essay Topic 2
Religious difference and intolerance is a major theme in the story. What is going on on the world stage that would make the author include this as such an important element in the story? What points is she trying to make? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear that the passengers have many differences. Cite some of them. Now cite some of the similarities that the passengers have that are common to all people.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)