|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Swedish man on board the ship?
2. In what country had La Condesa lived?
3. To what group do the characters belong?
4. What is the name of the Huttens' bulldog?
5. What is the profession of Herr Siegfried Rieber?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation with the Lutz family?
2. Who are Ric and Rac?
3. What is the setting for the novel?
4. Which group of people is getting off the ship at this point?
5. How does Frau Rittersdorf spend her time on deck?
6. Describe the burgeoning relationship between Dr. Schumann and La Condesa.
7. What argument between Johann and his uncle makes Johann late for the fiesta?
8. How do the local people view the departing travelers?
9. What does Dr. Schumann realize after having a conversation with Herr Graf?
10. What unpleasant task does Dr. Schumann have to do now that the ship is in port?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of La Condesa? Who does she represent as a whole as she is being exiled from Cuba? What is the symbolism of Dr. Schumann's desire to help her and love her but his inability to do it in the end? Consider the nationalities of the characters. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the characters of Ric and Rac as symbols of enacting the minor terrors the adults wish they could affect on others. Explain why the twins' behavior is a conduit of what the adults want to do? Why does the author use the twins for this vehicle?
Essay Topic 3
The author includes much symbolism in the story. Consider the main symbols of a German ship with several German passengers headed for Germany. What does she mean by this? Also consider the fact that Americans Jenny and David wanted to debark elsewhere but are forced to sail on to the end point of Germany. What it meant by this. Consider the world political stage before answering.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)