|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose life was an attempt made recently?
2. David Scott and Jenny Brown are _______________.
3. What had been Herr Hutten's role in Mexico?
4. Who is La Condesa?
5. What kind of business did Herr Karl Glocken own in Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Huttens feeling toward the group of Spanish dancers?
2. What does Dr. Schumann think as he watches the people board?
3. What shared experiences do the passengers have?
4. What is the destination of La Condesa?
5. How does the author begin the novel?
6. Who are the Spanish people and why do they create such a stir among the passengers?
7. What odd behavior does Mrs. Treadwell exhibit in her room after the party?
8. How does Dr. Schumann try to calm La Condesa before she departs?
9. What is the setting for the novel?
10. Why is Dr. Schumann summoned to La Condesa's cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is clear that the passengers have many differences. Cite some of them. Now cite some of the similarities that the passengers have that are common to all people.
Essay Topic 2
The book is written in three chapters of vastly differing lengths. What is the purpose of writing the book in this way? What is the author trying to convey with this style?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of La Condesa? Who does she represent as a whole as she is being exiled from Cuba? What is the symbolism of Dr. Schumann's desire to help her and love her but his inability to do it in the end? Consider the nationalities of the characters. Explain.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)