|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Herr Wilibald Graf's role?
2. How many Americans are on board the ship?
3. What do the passengers have to obtain from the official offices?
4. What is the feeling of most of the passengers regarding Mexico?
5. The local people view the travelers with ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What shared experiences do the passengers have?
2. Why are the passengers so reluctant to go to the fiesta on board?
3. What are the first pranks of Ric and Rac?
4. How is Dr. Schumann's health condition revealed?
5. How does the Captain endure the fiesta in his honor?
6. What is the first display of anti-Semitic behavior aboard ship?
7. What change has been made in the dining room and why does it upset the Captain?
8. Explain the author's basis for the novel.
9. Who are the Baumgartners?
10. What topics does the author explore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author speaks to several personal problems with the characters that are still problems with people today. Name at least two of these personal issues and cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the Spanish dancing troupe? What purpose do they serve for the story? Why has the author included them? Why are the other characters so averse to them? Why do they make themselves so unlikable?
Essay Topic 3
The author writes about Dr. Schumann in this way: "...the island he would never see again, had not in fact seen at all, except as a steep road from the dock with a small white carriage climbing away slowly taking with it all the vanities and illusions of his life." What literary technique is used in this example? What is the author trying to say about Dr. Schumann?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)