|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the action take place?
(a) A university
(b) A ship
(c) A church
(d) A townhouse
2. Why is Herr William Freytag returning to Germany?
(a) To attend a reunion
(b) To sell a house
(c) To attend a funeral
(d) To get his wife and mother
3. What is the feeling of most of the passengers regarding Mexico?
(a) Sad to be leaving
(b) It's too hot
(c) Happy to be leaving
(d) It's too poor
4. The novel explores the personal dynamics among _____________.
(b) College roommates
5. In what country had La Condesa lived?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many passengers are from Switzerland?
2. What is the profession of Herr Siegfried Rieber?
3. David Scott and Jenny Brown are _______________.
4. What is the name of the Swedish man on board the ship?
5. What was the nature of Herr Heinrich Lutz business in Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which passengers debark when the ship docks at Vigo?
2. Who are the Huttens?
3. How is Dr. Schumann's health condition revealed?
4. Explain the author's point of view for the story.
5. What is the irony of Herr Lowenthal's occupation?
6. Who are Ric and Rac?
7. Describe the burgeoning relationship between Dr. Schumann and La Condesa.
8. What does Captain Thiele say to indicate his true feelings about the Jews.
9. Explain the strained relationship between Jenny and David.
10. What are the Huttens feeling toward the group of Spanish dancers?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)