|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the passengers have to obtain from the official offices?
(b) Lunch tickets
(d) Travel papers
2. Where does the action take place?
(a) A university
(b) A townhouse
(c) A ship
(d) A church
3. Where are the characters coming from?
4. What had been Herr Hutten's role in Mexico?
(a) Head of a German school
(b) Airline pilot
(c) German diplomat
(d) Border guard
5. The novel addresses prejudice and _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be the only time the passengers are comfortable?
2. What type of discrimination is at the forefront of this book?
3. Which of the following is not heightened during the trip?
4. Who is La Condesa?
5. How many Spanish people are waiting to board the Vera at his dock?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Treadwell bide her time on the ship waiting to return to Paris?
2. What unpleasant task does Dr. Schumann have to do now that the ship is in port?
3. Who are Ric and Rac?
4. What inappropriate behavior of the Spanish dancers has upset so many shopkeepers?
5. Why are the passengers so reluctant to go to the fiesta on board?
6. What is the dynamic between Herr Graf and his nephew, Johann?
7. How does the Captain endure the fiesta in his honor?
8. What is the nature of the Baumgartners' fight at the party?
9. What is the surprising reaction of Ric and Rac's theft of La Condesa's pearl necklace?
10. What does Captain Thiele say to indicate his true feelings about the Jews.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)